Archinect
anchor

Wannabe expat

Hello,

I'm an architect with 12 years full-time experience in NYC and a license to practice in the state. I did a project in London for a year and a half and lived there to do so. I met a girl; now I'm staying. Does anyone have advice for a trying transplant? So far the job market is not very responsive and I'm looking toward recruitment agencies and professional connections, etc.

It seems to me that a lot of the nomenclature and standard of practice are translatable, but construction, craft, manufacture, product, and planning/DOB protocols are of another world (...country, I mean). Does this matter to revise CV and port to reflect their language?

If there is anyone who has accomplished the transfer, I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts.

For those who haven't, please troll not at all or at a maximum.

All the best,

Jordan

Feb 13, 24 10:28 am
pandahut

Congrats on finding a partner. London is beautiful.....

Why not look for a large shop that also has offices in the US? Usually, those are a bit more forgiving for hiring expats (Hawkins/Brown, F+P, P+W, Gensler, Rios, etc.) Personally, I think US educated and trained, working overseas is always of value even if the whole AIA/RIBA thing is not totally aligned.

I have plenty of old co-workers who worked across borders at larger offices. It would also allow a connection back to the US if that is of interest to you. 

Feb 13, 24 10:57 am  · 
1  · 

Thank you! This is a smart tack. If it pans out I'll be sure to let you know :)

Feb 13, 24 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: