Archinect
anchor

The Oscars 2024 chat

Starting a thread for Oscar nomination and award reactions. Because I like celebrity gossip but I'm not a commenting member on any of those Hollywood forums.

1. Ryan Gosling deserves an award for Barbie, for sure. But I'm not upset that Margot Robbie didn't get a nom for it. She did great, but Gosling did something amazing.

2. I'm upset that Greta Gerwig didn't get a nom for Barbie. FFS, Scorsese again? <fart noise>

3. Poor Things was a *fantastic* movie and I hope it wins all the things. I'd love for Mark Ruffalo to win, his character was hilarious, but I think Gosling deserves it more for Barbie. Also, I wasn't completely thrilled with the Poor Things costumes, they were close but not quite right, IMO. 

4. I seriously just learned today that Michelle Williams and Carey Mulligan aren't the same person.

Jan 23, 24 1:50 pm

I haven't seen Oppenheimer, what did everyone think? I've heard it's too personal and not enough about the truly historic implications of the bomb. I do love Cillian Murphy, tho.

Jan 23, 24 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

I thought it was good. It's more about the personal struggles that Oppenheimer had with developing the atomic bomb. I found that a nice focus for the film.

Jan 23, 24 1:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

I totally enjoyed Oppenheimer, but my gut feeling is that it will be winning a lot of technical achievements, rather than the major categories. But it totally deserves those technical achievement awards; particularly cinematography and sound design. I'll be picking Robert Downey Jr for supporting actor in my Oscar pool though...

Jan 23, 24 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

RDJ did a great job in that roll. I know it's silly however, I was so used to him as Ironman that I didn't recognize him at first in Oppenheimer.

Jan 23, 24 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I didnt recognize him until the credits rolled!

Jan 23, 24 4:13 pm  · 
1  · 

Glad I wasn't the only one. ;)

Jan 23, 24 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Honestly, Barbie was fun, but also a huge missed opportunity. It had literally everything it needed to be a really great movie, and Gerwig just couldn't quite figure out how to put the pieces together into a coherent whole. Instead, it wound up being a whole series of amusing sight gags, some of which individually were really amazingly great (nod to Gosling here for his KENERGY).

Jan 23, 24 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Also has anyone seen Godzilla Minus One? I'm hearing so many wonderful things about it!

Jan 23, 24 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The only new movies I've seen in 2023 are children movies.  

Jan 23, 24 2:15 pm  · 
1  · 

Yeah but that's by choice. Also Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget is a great film.

Jan 23, 24 2:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Wish had some good songs and a talking goat. I think it should win several shiny statues.

Jan 24, 24 7:36 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Not watching the Oscars this time. Not supporting an industry that can go all out when wars like Ukraine happen (and invite Zelensky via video chat to the stage), but be completely silent when colored Palestinians are dying en masse and the rest being starved. 

The only nomination worth watching (to me) is this one. But then again it feels like it was but a nod saying "yeah we are listening"

BYE BYE TIBERIAS Trailer | TIFF 2023

Jan 23, 24 2:19 pm  · 
3  ·  1

You really want to seem like you're involved in helping the Gaza situation don't you. Why not spent 10% of that poser energy and actually do something about it?

Jan 23, 24 2:58 pm  · 
1  ·  2
b3tadine[sutures]

That's some straight fucking bullshit f-troop. Some real America First vibes you got going on there. What should we do smart guy? Should we go on and drone Bibi in his bed? Take out an embassy? You're the guy who would know how illegal wars and terrorist conduct works, tell us oh sage of "military" tactics. It's like you forgot the military is under civilian authority, and dissent is an act just as worthy of praise than our military Abu Ghrabing innocent men, murdering journos, or killing wedding parties. If anyone gives off poser vibes, it's you, tucked in your bed talking shit about both sides are bad, while 30,000 civilians and counting are disappeared with my tax dollars.

Jan 24, 24 5:38 am  · 
1  ·  1

Oh hush b3ta. I'm by no means 'American First'. 

I've never talked shit about either side. I've said I can't support either side because they both actively target non combatants. I've stated many times that the fighting needs to be stopped ASAP. If this means by outside intervention then so be it. 

As for poser vibes - I've written my representatives , signed petitions, sent money to relief agencies for the people of Gaza.

You talk of war like you've experienced it.  Have you?  Have you ever been in a war zone?  Ever had to fight or kill to defend yourself or others?  I have.  That's why I'm against this 'war' and the atrocities both militaries are complicit in. 

Jan 24, 24 11:32 am  · 
sameolddoctor

Wow it seems someone complained to archinect to have my commenting privileges revoked for a day. WTF.

Chad, how do you assume my vibes are all poser vibes? We go to rallies, write to our representatives and have donated to worthy causes for the people in Gaza as well. Chad, you may have called for the fighting to stop, but a lot of your comments have been "have you condemned Khamas yet"?

In addition, I am taking every opportunity to call out hypocrisy and supremacy where i see it, my version of BDS. Hollywood is very hypocritical and I was just pointing it out.

Jan 24, 24 11:38 am  · 
1  · 

You're still posting through SOD. How can your posting privileges have been revoked?

Jan 24, 24 11:39 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

It was revoked/hacked for a day, it seems after i posted that Oscar comment

Jan 24, 24 11:42 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

That's right folks, the only way I can understand why killing civilians is bad, or war is bad, is to kill people in a war. Hush your bad self, grunt. I'm glad I haven't killed anyone in an unjust war, I'm proud to not have contributed to the destabilization of region with majority brown people. I'm proud to not have that badge of "honor".

Jan 24, 24 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

You guys. Take it Politics Central. Please. This is where we talk about beauty and fantasy.

Jan 24, 24 12:23 pm  · 
2  · 

I do find it odd that SOM feels the need to hijack other threads.

Jan 24, 24 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

b3tadine[sutures] 

If you want to get an actual response to your shit post then post it in the politics forum.  

Jan 24, 24 12:43 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Robin Williams: 

You're saying the Oscars are also political, OH FUCK OFF.

Jan 24, 24 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Says Chad...bitch please.

Jan 24, 24 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Also snubbing Charles Melton entirely is borderline criminal. He was incredible in May December, tense and anguished inside while trying to appear “normal” even though he’d been robbed of anything approaching normal in his life. His was the best performance of any movie I’ve seen recently.

Jan 24, 24 7:33 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Give all the awards to Poor Things, American Fiction and Zone Of Interest. The last one I'm seeing Friday.

Jan 24, 24 11:17 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: