Archinect
anchor

Career Change - Community or Rural Development

Aldea

Is a change in career from architecture to community or rural development common?

Has anyone done it? What are the odds of employment? Should I pursue a Masters in a fancy university?

I've been practising for the last 7 years and just don't feel like this is the career for me. It probably doesn't help I mostly did construction supervision and although I have now gotten back into design, it doesn't feel like something I want to do. Even what the principal of our firm does, I wouldn't want to walk in their shoes.

Dec 27, 23 10:23 pm
MAL67

I’m not an architect (I’m on this site because my son wants to study architecture), but I’m commenting because I work in international humanitarian assistance, in fields closely related to community and rural development. 

Architects and the skill sets you can bring are absolutely relevant. I have worked with several architects in different countries in Africa and Latin America, to help communities, refugees and others to find design, housing and community solutions to the problem of forced displacement. Two examples I’ve personally worked on: In Zambia, one architect helped create new integrated communities (roads, schools, clinics, houses…) of local residents and former refugees. In Colombia, architects helped residents of informal slum areas to upgrade and legalize their neighborhoods, obtain property titles and create public spaces and services that benefitted the communities. 

Your skills as an architect are definitely applicable! 

For more information, search for “humanitarian shelter” - UNHCR (the UN refugee agency) and IFRC (international federation of the Red Cross) have information, as do others. 

Jan 6, 24 9:07 pm  · 
1  · 
Aldea

thanks so much for the reply. I looked up the UNHCR website but could not find anything for an architect or construction but what you've written was inspiring and eye opening

Jan 17, 24 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
MAL67

If you’re looking for architect / related jobs on the UNHCR site, check under “shelter”. That said, right now that agency is going through a downsizing / realignment exercise and has frozen external recruitment for a couple months.

Jan 17, 24 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
MAL67

Also check out UN Habitat (the UN agency that works on human settlements / built environments), NGOs like Habitat for Humanity, the IKEA Foundation etc. Please note that I’m not saying there are tons of jobs …but they do exist! And you don’t need tons, you need one that’s right for you. If you can, as a step towards working in the sector, try to get some volunteer experience in eg Red Cross (emergency relief/disaster response), Habitat for Humanity, etc. UNV (the UN volunteer agency - basically like Peace Corps for the UN) is another good way to get in. It’s paid (though poorly, since you’re a volunteer), usually requires graduate school or more, but once you’ve been placed at a UN agency, you’re generally treated as any other staff member.

Jan 17, 24 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

What part of the country are you in, Aldea? 

Jan 17, 24 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Aldea

I'm in the UAE right now. Planning to a masters in Environment, policy and development possibly in the UK

Jan 19, 24 11:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Ah, got it. I was going to suggest a Chicago-based CDFI, where I work.

Jan 20, 24 3:03 pm  · 
1  · 
Aldea

But do you think an interdisciplinary masters degree is the right move for this transition?

Jan 20, 24 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: