Archinect
anchor

SketchUp to Revit Workflow

sideMan

I have a complicated Sketchup Model that I received from a consultant and am using as the basis for design. I will be producing CDs and I have it linked into Revit. I have done quite a bit of research on this and It appears as though I will have to remodel everything in Revit and just be using the Sketchup Model as a guide. Does this make sense? Any advice is appreciated. Below is a image of the Sketchup Mooel.

Thank you!

Nov 30, 23 9:55 am
Non Sequitur

Short answer:  Yes.  Best to remodel the important bits because SU is not a BIM software.

Long answer:  Maybe, but you will need to break apart the sketchup model into pieces and export them as dwg or obj or sat files then make revit families. 

Nov 30, 23 10:13 am  · 
2  · 
sideMan

Thanks!

Nov 30, 23 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
imdadpg

It's not uncommon to face challenges when transitioning from SketchUp to Revit due to differences in modeling approaches and capabilities. While Revit and SketchUp serve different purposes in the AEC (Architecture, Engineering, and Construction) workflow, there are ways to leverage your SketchUp model in Revit. Here are some considerations: Importing the SketchUp Model: You can import the SketchUp model directly into Revit. Revit has native support for importing SketchUp files (SKP). Keep in mind that complex geometry or intricate details might not translate perfectly. Using SketchUp as a Reference: As you mentioned, using the SketchUp model as a reference or guide is a viable approach. This means you'll be using it to inform your design decisions in Revit but not necessarily relying on it for the final construction documentation. Remodeling in Revit: Depending on the complexity and intended level of detail in your Revit model, remodeling the elements in Revit might be necessary. This ensures that your model conforms to Revit's parametric and BIM (Building Information Modeling) standards. Geometry Cleanup: After importing the SketchUp model, be prepared to clean up the geometry in Revit. SketchUp might create complex geometry that doesn't align well with Revit's modeling standards. Evaluate the Model's Complexity: Assess the complexity of your SketchUp model. If it contains intricate details, organic shapes, or unique components, remodeling in Revit might be more efficient in the long run. Detail Level and Documentation: Consider the level of detail required for your construction documents. If you need high-detail documentation, remodeling in Revit becomes crucial for accurate scheduling and quantity takeoffs. Coordinate Systems: Ensure that your SketchUp model aligns with the coordinate systems used in Revit. This is crucial for accurate positioning and coordination. Collaboration: If possible, communicate with the consultant who provided the SketchUp model. They might be able to assist in the transition or provide insights into the intended design. In summary, using the SketchUp model as a guide is a common strategy, but the level of reliance on it depends on project requirements and your goals in Revit. If precision, scheduling, and parametric modeling are essential, consider investing time in remodeling within Revit. Always keep an eye on the project's end goals and make decisions that align with those objectives.

Dec 4, 23 11:20 am  · 
 · 
sideMan

Thanks!

Dec 4, 23 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Unfortunate my experience with the Sketchup to Revit is the same as Non Sequitor's.  You're basically going to have to remodel the entire protect and use the Sketchup model as a guide.  

Good luck!  I hope it goes well!  

Nov 30, 23 12:24 pm  · 
1  · 
sideMan

Thanks!

Nov 30, 23 12:40 pm  · 
1  · 
gwharton

You can use a series of section slices through the SKP model to export 2D AutoCAD format underlays, which can then be linked into a new Revit model and used as guides for building from scratch there. I do NOT recommend trying to import SKP models directly into Revit for anything other than simple generic geometry.

Nov 30, 23 1:12 pm  · 
1  · 
sideMan

Thanks!

Nov 30, 23 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: