Archinect
anchor

Career confusion.

aldonahfrancis

Hello, I am new to this community, I have recently completed my Bachelor of Architecture degree but I am confused to pursue my career as an architect. I chose architecture out of passion for design but now I am tired of long hour of computer works and construction drawings: I tried interior, urban, landscape design but I don't feel like continuing. I am more into cooking and want to become a chef. I need some advice regarding where to start and how to fulfill my dream as a chef. Should I get into a culinary degree course? Although those are very expensive. I need guidance and what to do?

Thank you in advance.

Nov 15, 23 11:43 am
ivanmillya

Only you can decide what you want to do. If you're still passionate about design and architecture, you might consider carefully vetting the firms you're applying to. It sounds to me like the issues you're having stem from the hustle and grind workplace culture that you see at various firm sizes. The firm I work for is very much "go in, do your job, set your boundaries on what you will and won't do, and enjoy your time off."

Nov 15, 23 11:53 am  · 
3  · 
aldonahfrancis

Thanks. I'll give another thought on choosing firm and what I really want to do.

Nov 15, 23 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

It's tough figuring out what you're passionate about.  A few things to consider:

• Firm culture differ and can make a huge deference in what you do and how you do it.  Finding the right firm to work WITH is key.   
  • I'm sorry to say but you're going to  spend the majority of your time on the computer and working thought CD's  -it's how stuff is built. 
  • You don't need to work long hours for low pay.  See the first point.
  • I know several chefs.  The work is more stressful and longer hours with lower pay than being an architect.  Just an FYI:  chef work has one of the highest uses of illegal stimulants than nearly every other profession in the US.  
Nov 15, 23 12:14 pm  · 
6  · 
sameolddoctor

Yup, the OP had me when they said "Chef" - Architecture may be, in a basic sense more challenging mentally (long hours, less pay, asshole clients etc), but being a Chef is all of the above + physical stress, like working standing up for 6-8 hours straight, starting work at 5am (to go to markets) and ending almost every day at 12am etc etc.

If you are looking for a LESS stressful option, then the culinary arts are not it.

Nov 15, 23 1:39 pm  · 
2  · 
____

And the joy of working with the general public.

Nov 15, 23 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
aldonahfrancis

Thanks. I understand your points clearly, but subconsciously I think that working in a firm means wasting my life discarding part my talents, maybe I am wrong. I am also worried about how promotion works. I like cooking but discovered later, during my thesis that I am good at culinary. I feel more confident and comfortable testing new recipes than experimenting new structures or changing designs. Feel more comfortable using knives, spices vegetables than sitting and doing cad, rhino. This is my wishful thinking that I can innovate, design and experiment new food in a kitchen rather apply it on a site but at the same time I'm confused and afraid to step up, what if I am wrong. If I don't like my profession I'll be stressful but if I enjoy my work shouldn't I be happy at the end of the day?

Nov 16, 23 12:35 am  · 
 · 

If you have the time or if you get laid off (not hoping for it but happens in this profession), take some time working at a restaurant. See if you like doing the on a daily basis on a full-time to overtime work load. You either love it or you'll hate it. It seems you want to be a chef but the reality is most such jobs are just head cooks not much different than a line cook. You might have a hobbyist passion for cooking so you don't want to put that much time. So maybe, instead consider if you do something with those gifts at a firm 'house party' or retreat. Putting those skills to use. If you are good at it, your firm may appreciate it.

Nov 18, 23 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

From architect to Chef? Really?

Uh, I hope you know being "chef" does not equal to 3 star Michelin restaurant. You will not be Gordon Ramsey Jr. The work will be more labor intense than architecture office with less pay. Most do not require any degree. Why don't you work part time on the weekend and see for yourself.

if you said you want to sell your soul to corporate America and go into real estate development or finance for easy money I would understand more.

Nov 15, 23 2:20 pm  · 
1  · 
aldonahfrancis

Yes I get that. Right now I have zero experience working in a kitchen but I worked as an intern in a firm. I will definitely try part time in a restaurant to gain some idea about what it feels like. Thanks for the advice.

Nov 16, 23 12:40 am  · 
 · 
aldonahfrancis

Sorry I have less knowledge about the second part you said. How does it work, the real estate development. I know real estate business but I don't know about the process of getting inside. I would like to know more.

Nov 16, 23 12:45 am  · 
 · 
G4tor

No amount of career change will give you satisfaction. Work sucks, period. 

Nov 15, 23 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

"Work sucks, then you die." One of my father-in-law's favorite sayings. He died six months after he retired (from working for me).

Nov 16, 23 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Monetizing rigorous design is all about iteration in a given time period. If you get burnt out by that, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Nov 18, 23 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We design buildings for a living, why would we know how to become chefs? Why not an astronaut then?

Nov 19, 23 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Kinsbergen

You in particular don't design buildings. Other people design them and then you do the CA. Other people do the important and interesting work, and then they have you do the dirty job and fight with the contractors.

Nov 19, 23 12:03 pm  · 
1  ·  2
____

You add nothing to this forum except hate. I am flagging your post.

Nov 19, 23 7:57 pm  · 
2  · 

Chartres - you're a failed architect with a chip on their shoulder. You come here to attempt to make fun of Non in order to attempt to fill the gaping void in your self esteem. Maybe instead of acting like a childish coward you work on yourself and try to obtain some semblance of happiness and self worth .

Until that happens please be quiet.  

Nov 20, 23 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
____

Why in the world does this person pick on someone who gives practical, real world advise to anyone who has questions about becoming an architect in Canada? It makes no sense. NS provides a public service here in that regard. Fucking A.

Nov 20, 23 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Chartres came here when he was a student and wasn't doing well in school. He had some 'weird' ideas about how he should be doing well in school but it was everyone else's fault for his poor design skills. Non called Chartres on this. Once Chartres graduated he couldn't keep a position at firms, again it wasn't his fault but everyone else's.  Non call him out again.  

Chartres can't handle being shown his failures are his own and that he's not correct about things.  

Chartres takes out his frustrations on Non.  Chartres gone so far as to cyber stalk Non and his family and to make fun of his children.  Chartres is a coward.  He keeps getting new user names but Non and I know who he really is.  

Nov 20, 23 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cheers Chad. Arch2, I have 2 regular users on ignore and neither of them are Balkins. Chartres gets one of the lucky spots.

Nov 20, 23 2:40 pm  · 
1  · 

Who get's the other spot Non?

Nov 20, 23 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Detwan... or whatever their current name is.  No longer a regular tho... so I guess I only have the cunt Charles as singular regular on ignore.  

Nov 20, 23 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

What did Detwan do? Other than being a douche nozzle?

Nov 20, 23 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

regular douche nozzle things... or maybe their new name is rsrs... don't know, don't care. There was a time when it was package deal. First Chartres, then the others. easy ignore. At least Balkins, Jawk, Jla contribute to a discussion. The others can't. They are just sad disgruntled crumpled cans littering the sidewalk.

Nov 20, 23 3:05 pm  · 
1  · 
ill_will

I can't be an astronaut, I think there's a height limit and you need 20/20 vision.

Nov 22, 23 11:01 am  · 
 · 
whistler

I have always said that Architecture School is great education ... just have to apply what you have learned to your passion.  If it's not making buildings then use it to excel at cooking / baking / restaurant design etc.

No-one ever said at architecture school that you had to be an architect!

Nov 22, 23 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: