Archinect
anchor

remodeling floorplan

nghitran1

Hi professionals,

I need my home redesign. I need my main floor partially redesigned and a basement (roughly 100sqt on main floor and 1500 basement). What would you charge for it (without any furnitures etc.)?

Nov 2, 23 9:57 pm
Non Sequitur

Much more than you can afford.

If I were a betting person, I'd bet this is coming from a either a house-flipper or a slimy realtor... perhaps both? 

Nov 2, 23 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

100 sf first floor, and 1500 sf basement. Sounds like a bunker. I'm in.

$250 sq. ft.

Nov 3, 23 7:36 am  · 
1  · 

$32,000 minimum.  

Nov 3, 23 10:04 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

2500 sf at ~ $750/sf= $1875000 @ 6% fee= $112500 at least.

Nov 3, 23 10:43 am  · 
 · 

I did say minimum.  

That's my fee just to listen to this clients wants  ;)  

Nov 3, 23 12:00 pm  · 
1  · 

JLC are you seeing $750/SF in residential remodel in your area? Yikes.

Nov 14, 23 7:22 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

no, more like $1200/sf. Lots of fancy stones, fancy windows and expensive light fixtures- Just an example, replacing all windows and exterior doors on a 30 yr. old 5500 sf house came at 430K without GC mark up/overhead/profit.

Nov 14, 23 3:16 pm  · 
1  · 

You're also practicing in the uber rich ski town areas though JLC-1. I'm not saying your clients are uber rich, just that everything in that area costs way, way more. Probably because the uber rich are just better people than the rest of us. ;)

Nov 14, 23 4:13 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

you are correct, billionaires have displaced common millionaires now. it's called gentrification. Boring as s**t. The new wave also has architectural implications, but that's another issue.

Nov 14, 23 5:19 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

$1.98. Free if I don't have to wear a black turtleneck sweater. 

Nov 3, 23 11:31 am  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Why even bother finding an architect with that tiny reno. Find a decent GC.

Recently came across this house. Apparently some big ego designer bought this cheap house and renovated it. 

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...

My questions, will it actually sell at that price? Is the "Design" actually worth the big $$$. Look at the bedrooms, these are attic space converted bedrooms. The living room used to be the basement. I would demo the old wood framing and build a full 2 story house.

High end finish on a renovated starter home. Just feels odd to me. Too expensive for poor people, too small for rich people.

Nov 3, 23 5:14 pm  · 
4  · 
proto

i liked the shower & a couple other nice moments, but really had a hard time with the entry...just a huge no-no in snow country funneling a valley right at the unprotected entry, the snow anchors notwithstanding -- one ice storm and they'll be reconsidering that configuration. not to mention icedam central

Nov 4, 23 5:14 pm  · 
3  · 
msparchitect

curious how you heard about this particular home and/or if you know the designer.

Nov 4, 23 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

I think Jay just searches for things he can be angry at.  ;)

Nov 6, 23 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

::nock nock nock::

'Hi kids, it's grandma, come help me with all the Christmas presents'!"

::whoosh, thump::

RIP grandma.  Killed by a snow slide.  

Nov 6, 23 12:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

This was from an article I saw. I actually came across it before the article while randomly browsing modern houses for sale.

https://www.insider.com/people...

I am genuinely curious whether ordinary people will actually shell out the dollars for it. As opposed to buying a 3000 sf spec build. I know architects appreciate high end finishes and carefully crafted spaces. But will ordinary people pay $$ for it?

Nov 6, 23 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

If they have the money the will. 

I know several developers who have hired architects and interior designers to design a series of different homes with exterior / interior finish packages that you can choose from. This includes landscaping. Everything is included in the price. 

You choose your lot.  Then choose the base house, optional layouts, finishes, and landscaping from a series of packages.   

Obviously the larger the home the higher the cost. You're able to get a semi-customized home that fits your needs better than a spec home. The price of the semi custom home is within 3 -5% of the spec built homes. 

That's what we did when we built new.

Nov 6, 23 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

I am not talking about small upgrades. I am thinking a custom 1500-1800 sf house with the glass storefront, low slope roof, full rain screen panel cladding, high end kitchen and bathroom FF&E. You know the Beverly Hills kind modern house but in budget size. Suburb setting of course. Do people value quality over quantity? If I build one , can I recoup the money when selling? It seems most Americans prefer Mega mansions if they have extra money. Any developers or Real estate agents around.

Nov 6, 23 2:58 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

kinda depends on the available inventory & proximity to desirable local amenities -- i can only guess the developer did his research to find this site & its prospects...it only works if it works

[140 days on zillow tho is telling...desirable property likely isn't sitting nearly that long]

Nov 6, 23 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

Depends on the market Jay.

Nov 6, 23 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Spec/Semi-Custom/Custom home builder and architect here (built and sold 78 high-end homes last year). Generally, Jay is right. Most people are unwilling to pay custom spec prices for starter home size. They just don't see the value equation penciling out with respect to price per square foot. If we could recoup the cost of putting in high quality finishes/windows/roofs/etc. we would build them with those things. The vast majority of homebuyers are not willing to pay for them. The things they ARE willing to pay a premium for tend not to be the kinds of things architects find super-compelling (3-car garages, for instance).

Nov 6, 23 6:07 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

somehow thoughtful design is never on the list of "amenities"

Nov 6, 23 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

It is, actually. Just not in the way architects habitually think about it.

Nov 6, 23 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
J G

this was the issue with selling the house of gables in Atlanta for a long time. Good design, but wrong market, wrong timing

Nov 13, 23 7:22 pm  · 
1  · 

Yeah that’s a pretty cute reno. But the price is ridiculous and with interest rates I understand that a purchaser with a half million dollar budget can only afford a $350,000 house right now.

Nov 14, 23 7:21 am  · 
 · 
proto

@gwharton, just coming back to say "built and sold 78 homes high end last year"?!? Wow. you are a busy dude...congrats on the productive year. Unlike most of us trad architects, you're probably a smarter business person for putting your own risk into your business. Sort of jealous re: that, but I know that kind of entrepreneurship is not my strength, so not really...but nevertheless impressed.

Nov 14, 23 4:10 pm  · 
1  · 
gwharton

It's not just me doing it all by myself, obviously. I run the architecture/design/documentation/permitting part of a larger, integrated operation. But yes, we are very busy and are our own clients for the vast majority of our work, growing at about 25% year-on-year (though this year is about the same as last year because of the big market and interest rate shifts last summer). Given the volume and positioning of our work, I have a fairly good insight into the things homebuyers consider good design vs not on a price-to-value basis. Good design matters, a lot. Just not in the ways most architects think. And how you deliver that design is also critically important.

Nov 14, 23 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

yea, the shower was pretty sweet

Nov 4, 23 10:18 pm  · 
1  · 
J G

this was the issue with selling the house of gables in Atlanta for a long time. Good design, but wrong market, wrong timing

Nov 13, 23 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
J G

100 sf on ground floor is like one room/entry, no?

Nov 13, 23 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: