Archinect
anchor

Mechanical Tunnel Between Buildings?

This is a weird one so stay with me.  

We're running a sprinkler line from one building to another.  I know it doesn't make sense but it's fed from a well , water tank, and pump room. Don't ask unless you want a long, boring, and odd explanation. 

We can't bury the sprinkler line so it needs to be in a horizontal chase that is accessible (not ADA, just by maintenance staff).  My understanding is that this is considered a shaft per section 713 of the IBC 2021.  

Do you think my understanding of this correct?  Is this a shaft?  

For those of you keeping up with things, yes this is THAT fire station project in a small mountain town.  :s

Jul 26, 23 1:08 pm
Non Sequitur

Chad, I'm dealing with a similar situation, but in reverse.  Demo'in an old service tunnel from the late 70s.

In my world, such spaces are considered service spaces, not shafts.  This triggers a few clauses such as min distance until you require 2 exits plus FRR and exit signs.  

Jul 26, 23 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 

This is my initial thought too, most likely a 2 hr separation, everything sealed right, etc... vs a shaft.

Jul 26, 23 3:32 pm  · 
1  · 

Thanks for the input! 

I don't think the IBC has a service spaces classification.  I could be incorrect though - any idea if the IBC has a service space classification?  - I could not find it. 

The closest I could find was the shaft classification. This was due to the space penetrating the floors of each building.

Jul 26, 23 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Is NFPA 520 or Chapter 3104 of IFC of any help? Perhaps thinking of this as a vault of utility tunnel?

Jul 26, 23 2:22 pm  · 
2  · 

Thanks! Good idea!

Jul 26, 23 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: