Archinect
anchor

Accessible Sliding Doors, commercial use

CA Architect 1024

Is there such thing as an accessible sliding door yet?  I have been working on multifamily and hotel projects for several years (California) and have always had to resort to providing swing doors at the accessible units/guestrooms in lieu of a nice sliding door.  I have asked fellow colleagues and thought to ask around outside my work bubble.  I have a feeling the door opening force limit is the factor, but perhaps there are newer products out there that comply.  Lately we have been specifying aluminum framed sliding doors (flush sills) and swing doors.

Jul 24, 23 3:50 pm

They exist, however they are bar style doors.  The good ones with sound seals are for the medical field and cost around $9K each.  

Jul 24, 23 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I don't understand, pocket doors, Nana walls, barn door? What?

Jul 25, 23 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

You have to know what a bar door is. Don't try and be too cool . . . .

Jul 25, 23 1:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Do you mean barn door or saloon doors?

Jul 25, 23 2:44 pm  · 
1  · 

Gowd damn it. Yes barn door. Mother#*#!er ::hangs head in shame::

Jul 25, 23 4:12 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

I've never done anything like that ;-)

Jul 25, 23 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

I bet I confused the heck out of the OP! ;)

Jul 25, 23 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I don't think you can use automatic sliding doors for accessible washrooms, it would be harder to open manually if power fails. (who would want a sliding door in a bathroom? no seal at all)

Jul 25, 23 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

There are good seals on certain types of barn doors - of course they are intended for medial use and are quite expensive. :(

I've used them in several medical projects and they perform just as well as hinged doors and are ADA compliant. 

Jul 25, 23 4:22 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

but you need more than one person to operate if power fails, somebody has to unlock the track. A disable person in a bathroom stall couldn't.

Jul 26, 23 10:33 am  · 
 · 

We're not talking about automatic sliding doors in toilet compartments, just sliding barn doors. You don't need to have the sliding doors be automatic to meet ADA.

Jul 26, 23 11:18 am  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

Here our limit factor for accessible sliding doors is really the threshold step. In Florida, we're used to seeing sill risers of minimum 2", but out on the beaches in HVHZ zones, I've seen them go up to 4 or larger! For swinging patio doors, we can always negotiate that by recessing the sill riser and providing a threshold extender to negotiate the extra inch or two, but we have yet to find a good solution for SGDs, where you have tracks that can't easily be covered.

Jul 26, 23 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: