Archinect
anchor

Gilgo Beach Serial Killer, Architect.

x-jla

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2023/07/14/gilgo-beach-lisk-serial-killings-suspect-in-police-custody-report/amp/

Gilgo Beach serial killer suspect arrested was an architect and the owner of a firm in nyc.  

Jul 14, 23 10:27 am
pandahut

LETS GO!

Jul 14, 23 10:31 am  · 
2  · 

Firm's website has been taken down.  From what little info there was online about the firm it seems like they didn't have happy clients. 

Jul 14, 23 11:23 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

Bet his employees still showed up for work. They got deadlines, you know.

Also comments saying they are surprised a firm owner architect can't afford a nicer house (haha...ha).

Jul 14, 23 11:44 am  · 
2  · 
Le Courvoisier

well, that’s one way to become a famous architect. 

Jul 14, 23 1:56 pm  · 
4  · 
Janosh

Is this NCARB's fault?

Jul 14, 23 3:30 pm  · 
5  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes. Most certainly.

Jul 14, 23 6:44 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What I really want to know is, is he an FAIA? Did he pay his 2024 dues.

Jul 15, 23 5:44 am  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Yup, many of the asshole and unethical architects in my town are FAIA.

Jul 17, 23 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

Press conference about to start at 4:00 PM Eastern!

Jul 14, 23 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Morbid curiosity (plus our frequent topic around here) led me to look him up.  Yes, he's licensed, so "architect" serial killer it is.

If indeed guilty, what a monster.

Jul 14, 23 4:10 pm  · 
1  · 

Indeed. New question(s) for applicants (good moral character inquiry): [Ignore the question numbers] 

Q1: Have you murdered or killed one or more persons? 

Q1A: If Yes, do you know the whereabouts of the body or bodies of the person or persons you killed, please list and describe the exact locations of the body or bodies? 

Q1B: If you answered Yes to Q1, was the person or any of the persons you killed a client or related to or in relationship with a client? 

Q1C: If you answered yes to Q1B, why did you kill the person?

Now, on the serious side, I completely concur with citizen.

Jul 14, 23 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Wait, what happened to letting the courts decide? Traitor to the profession!

Jul 14, 23 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

The court decides the guilt. I have not. I am merely speaking a statement of fact that regardless of the decisions at the court, people like you will be too eager to jump to conclusion and declare a person is guilty. You and people like you, won't wait months to decide. This is a statement of fact. Look at yourself on that Adjaye case. 

I have not took a position of whether he is guilty or not guilty. Citizen did not say affirmatively that Rex is guilty in the post I agree with him. I am namely agreeing to citizen regarding as quoted: "If indeed guilty, what a monster." This is because in principle, I agree that serial killers (serial murderers) are monsters. However, I also agree for the courts and the process of the court to reach a verdict to make an affirmative decision on whether or not they find the person guilty. This is not the venue for THAT decision-making. 

It is a statement of fact that people like you will jump to declaring a person as guilty. Past shows. In any case, by the time a verdict is made in court, the controversy will already have a public that will have decided he is guilty and the stench of the controversy of the murders will essentially kill his career and devastate his firm regardless of the verdict.

Jul 14, 23 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I hereby withdraw my comment.

Jul 14, 23 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

You are certainly free to change your mind. I simply agreed to what you wrote at the time. However, your motion to withdraw is moot.

Jul 14, 23 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

I don't know what Balkins is guilty of, but he's guilty of something

Jul 15, 23 4:14 pm  · 
5  · 
x-jla

Its pretty ridiculous to think that the police would frivolously arrest someone for a crime that had a Netflix movie made about it. This is a very high profile public case.

Jul 15, 23 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

taz, easy... I'm unapologetically guilty of being an asshole.

Jul 17, 23 12:35 am  · 
 · 

x-jla, it's not about a frivolous arrest but tunnel vision and mistakes that happen especially with so much brass up the ass pressuring you to indict, arrest, and convict, so much so that you are a one-man philharmonic orchestra with all that brass up the rectum.

Jul 17, 23 12:39 am  · 
 · 

To be clear, "you" as used is meant rhetorically and not referring the x-jla. Just to remove any misunderstanding that could be construed.

Jul 17, 23 3:20 am  · 
 · 

You really don't want me to answer those questions Rick.

Jul 17, 23 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Are you referring to the questions Q1, Q1A, Q1B, Q1C? Those were meant as jest and not meant as a serious suggestion.

Jul 17, 23 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, those questions. I know they were in jest. I laughed thinking of them on on some RFQ's though. You still don't want me to answer those questions though. ;)

Jul 17, 23 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

lol... okay.

Jul 17, 23 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Does the AIA Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct have any clauses about murder?

Jul 14, 23 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Unfortunately, yes, but you can still be AIA and exploit your labor, SA them and get awards.

Jul 14, 23 6:46 pm  · 
2  · 
curtkram

so torture is ok, but don't kill them?

Jul 17, 23 8:59 am  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Surprised the guy wasn't an AIA Fellow. All the real sociopaths are elevated to FAIA nowadays.

Jul 17, 23 10:21 am  · 
3  · 

Real answer: if he’s convicted, he can be both kicked out of the AIA for life and also lose his license to practice.

Jul 27, 23 7:57 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This is going to fit well with my television series pilot.

Jul 14, 23 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Now don't be coy. Tell us more...

Jul 14, 23 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's about an architect, Chicago, and an Italian Beef Studio, it's IBS.

Jul 14, 23 7:11 pm  · 
5  · 
x-jla

is the architect named Jimmy Pepperoncini?

Jul 15, 23 5:22 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Tony Gabagool

Jul 17, 23 10:57 am  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

"which counts Catholic Charities, NYC-DEP Sewerage Treatment, and American Airlines as clients"

No wonder....

(I know its to soon)

Jul 14, 23 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, it's so tempting to quip... I have little self-control here. 

But remembering that there were young women brutalized and worse, who have surviving families. does tap the brakes for me.

Jul 14, 23 10:04 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Well, it didn't take me long to shrug off basic decency...

Jul 17, 23 10:41 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

"Suspect in Gilgo Beach Killings Led a Life of Chaos and Control" --NYT

Yep, this guy was definitely an architect.

Jul 15, 23 11:43 am  · 
4  · 
G4tor

I guess we all gotta vent in some way or another....

Jul 16, 23 9:37 pm  · 
Wood Guy

A friend of mine worked with him and they spent some time alone together. My friend is fairly weirded out, understandably. 

Jul 18, 23 9:25 am  · 
5  · 
x-jla

I read an article about his client who gave him a ride to LI at night and he was talking about the Gilgo killer with her during the drive. So creepy. Another young interior designer had a similar experience of him discussing Gilgo with her.

Jul 18, 23 12:09 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

That gets a great big YIKES.

Jul 18, 23 12:21 pm  · 
2  · 
vado retro

Six Degrees of Separation, the Serial Killer Version: While serving his country in the United States Army, my oldest brother was sent to Korea to keep the communist hordes from crossing the 38th parallel. While statined there, one of his band of brothers was none other than David Berkowitz aka Son of Sam.

Jul 19, 23 8:32 am  · 
2  · 

Dang. Creeply. 

My brother in law (Marine - 22 years) has had to 'deal with' two recruits that were 'most certainty serial killers in the making'. His words.

Jul 19, 23 10:19 am  · 
 · 

As the days goes by, it doesn't appear to be getting any better for Rex. We'll see and know for sure when we get to trial and go through it.

Jul 26, 23 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Jeezus Christ this is bad. Creepy.

“For him, it’s all about the planning and the details. As an architect, he is meticulous about the detail in his work and in his killing,” Mr. Bonn said. “Just like he’d create a blueprint for a building, he had a blueprint for murder.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/17/nyregion/rex-heueurmann-gilgo-beach-manual.html?unlocked_article_code=1.0k0.0klq.AQbhNrCk7JaG&smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare&sgrp=c-cb

Jun 18, 24 7:42 am  · 
3  · 
monosierra

The man was writing specifications for murder.

Jun 18, 24 9:37 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This is why I've always loved Morgan Freeman in Seven, I thought he was an architect.

Jun 18, 24 12:15 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

So can we infer that him getting caught means he wasn’t a very good architect?

Jun 18, 24 12:34 pm  · 
2  · 

Damn, that's messed up.

Jun 18, 24 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I can't wait for the Yezzy folk song.

Jun 18, 24 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Damn, that's fucked up. You know someone's going to make a movie about this and were all going to fingered as sadists

Jun 18, 24 9:10 pm  · 
2  · 
G4tor

but Jonathan, aren't we all?

Jun 19, 24 1:12 am  · 
 · 

We’re definitely not all sadists, although I’m definitely very mean to myself.

On a lighter note, and a great example of dark humor: somebody commented on the New York Times article that there was a new Master Spec Division 36 00 00 Murder. 

I’m ashamed to admit I LOL’d.

Jun 19, 24 6:48 am  · 
4  · 
BulgarBlogger

This guy reviewed some of my drawings when he was working for the coop board of a building I was doing a renovation in. Totally weirded out by the whole thing. 

Jun 19, 24 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah. It would find it weird and strange as well. The whole situation is weird. I'm unsure if it was just him, his wife involved or doing it, or both something involving them both in some way. It's just weird and all the facts I know of is had been made public doesn't paint a good picture.

Jun 19, 24 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: