Archinect
anchor

Revit LT for single family residential?

Miyadaiku

Hey comrades, anyone here have experience using Revit LT with single family residential? 

Was LT stripped down too much for you? Or on the opposite spectrum was it overkill? I have looked at it and DLed the trial of course and so far it seems to have everything I would need, but I just wanted to hear some personal opinions before my trial ends. 

Just to clarify I've done projects in full Revit before and liked the workflow quite a lot better than the free software we have now at our firm. I got the OK to buy some software and LT is about the price point range I got.

Also, probably a longshot, but anyone working in Japan use Revit? It seems ArchiCAD is more widely known.

Nov 1, 22 10:16 pm
ivanmillya

At the firm I work for now, I was initially brought in because of my experience using Revit. We do primarily (though not exclusively) high-end custom SFR. At first, I was set up with Revit LT, but very quickly asked to be given a full Revit license, primarily because of a few differences in LT that I couldn't stand:

1. Revit LT doesn't allow for view filters. I use these a TON when it comes to color, line weight, etc. to indicate transparencies for things like pool cage screens, heavier representation of FL DEP-related lighting fixtures, etc. A TON of things I'd normally do with view filters, I had to find tedious, manual workarounds.

2. LT has no model-in-place feature. Primarily I'm using this for things like angle-of-light boundaries (a particular annoyance in some of our local zoning codes), but also to reliably model baseboards etc.

3. LT doesn't allow for 3rd party add-ons (plugins, whatever they're called). This is a big problem for me doing complex BIM management, as I tend to use DiRoots and PyRevit frequently in my projects for culling, specific selection, and parameter management.

Ultimately, I view Revit LT as very much a trial version of Revit, unlike AutoCAD LT, which can fully function as a lightweight CAD program to accomplish just about anything you need. I'd cough up the dough for the full Revit program, especially if you're doing custom SFR, as the building type is just as complex as commercial work, if not more so (in some ways, don't @ me).

Nov 2, 22 7:52 am  · 
1  · 
msparchitect

I've been using Revit LT for Single Family Residential for the past year. The biggest thing I miss is the model-in-place features of full-revit, and the plugins for better rendering and graphics. I'm considering upgrading in the next year, but it is a big expense jump. I wish there was an in-between. It's much easier to justify on $40m projects than $700k projects, but sometimes the $700k projects need some of the full features. 

Nov 2, 22 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: