Archinect
anchor

Why was the concept Gesamtkunstwerk attractive to some architects and repulsive to others in the 19th century?

graceshelby

Why and which were the factors that made some architects go against the "total work of Art"?

Oct 20, 22 3:07 pm
JLC-1

because they all had syphilis

Oct 20, 22 3:12 pm  · 
1  · 
drums please, Fab?

why ask why? try bud dry!

Oct 20, 22 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

When is your homework due graceshelby

Oct 20, 22 4:49 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I'm not saying it's magnets but it's definitively magnets.

Oct 20, 22 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

Naw, it has something to do with planets being in retrograde.

Oct 20, 22 5:07 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

PLANETS! PLURAL! oh shit... one in retro is bad but multiple will totally set my chi off. I better go rotate the house plants as a precaution. Thanks for the tip. My astrologer is on vacation so I would have been caught with my pants down.

Oct 20, 22 5:38 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Non, we're just happy that your pants are up more often than down these days :O]

Oct 20, 22 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

I do what I can to make sure Non keeps his pants UP.

Oct 20, 22 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Hey guys, new here.  Just wondering if anybody knows how to, you know, illustrate what is meant by the theory of deconstruction as it pertains to postmodern architecture and stuff.

Oct 20, 22 5:58 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Gesamtkuns-twerk: a 19th century dance where ladies would vigorously shake their bottoms.  This dance was enjoyed by most architects, while some architects theorized that it could create oscillations which could compromise structures.  

Oct 20, 22 9:58 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

who were the architects at that time who were aware of gesamtkunstwerk and rejected it?

i for one have always thought the gesamtkunstwerklichkeit was the worst thing about frank lloyd wright's buildings - lots of kitschy niches and frustratingly inflexible spaces and furniture. no one wants to live in the original owners space or sit in their peculiar chairs. generality is a more tolerant approach to the future.

Oct 21, 22 8:46 am  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Adaptability is sustainability.

Oct 24, 22 11:02 am  · 
 · 
midlander

yes I adapted to the heat this summer by upgrading my air conditioner.

Oct 25, 22 7:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: