Archinect
anchor

MArch 2023 support group

normansfosterchild

Hey everybody,

I am currently applying to M.Arch programs for the Fall 2023 cycle and was wondering if anyone wanted to connect/ help each other out through this forthcoming journey. 

Hope all is well wherever you are <3

Aug 27, 22 1:57 pm
ben51

I live in UK, I'm after school, it depends what you want to know, I will tell you, but unfortunately it is different in each country

Aug 27, 22 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Hi, same here. What schools are you applying to?

Aug 27, 22 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
normansfosterchild

heyo! I will probably be applying to schools in Canada and the United States. I am a domestic Canadian student so will probably apply to UBC, UofT, and maybe Carleton. As for the states, I was thinking: UC Berkley, RISD, GSD, and Princeton (this list is probably more subject to change)

Aug 28, 22 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don’t pay for US tuition. Canadian universities are almost free in comparison and it is not worth the excessive debt just for the name.

Aug 28, 22 10:43 am  · 
2  · 
ahjun

I'm planning preferably in Canada. Anyone international and planning to apply?

Aug 28, 22 4:50 am  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Me! I'm really applying everywhere lol. Can't take any cha nces

Aug 28, 22 11:22 am  · 
1  · 
ahjun

where are you guys applying from?

Aug 29, 22 5:03 am  · 
1  · 
waterbottle

I'm applying from Pakistan.

Aug 29, 22 5:31 am  · 
 · 
ahjun

That's cool! What programs u got in mind currently? Are you safe from the flood fam?

Aug 29, 22 7:40 am  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Thanks! I wanna apply for either Masters in Architecture or in Historic Preservation because that's really cool to me. There's one program that I really really want to get into, the M.Arch T at TU Berlin because it's up my alley. We're safe, but things are really bad :( Hope it gets better soon.

Aug 29, 22 9:50 am  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Is the M.S Advanced Architectural Design Program at Columbia GSAPP accredited? 

Aug 29, 22 5:31 am  · 
 · 

It is "Master of Science" program, which means: it is a supplemtal program for those who already have accredited B.Arch education. So no, none of the M.S. programs at GSAPP is accredited. The program itself is just 3 more semesters of studio similar to other architecture schools that are art heavy. Only worth it if you really want the name in your resume / brag to your relatives, and you have money to do so without borrowing.

Aug 30, 22 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Oh alright, thank you! Somehow the art heavy schools always seem so attractive

Aug 30, 22 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
alrik54

From what I heard, the MS Advanced Architectural Design Program is accredited in Colombia, but I don't know exactly what I heard

Aug 29, 22 12:23 pm  · 
kjell23

I also heard that it is a good school and the credit is accredited in Colombia

Aug 30, 22 1:54 pm  · 
ham1

I put this in another thread but this one might be more appropriate.

I was curious, are applicants to GSD's M.Arch AP program still considered for the standard M.Arch I program if they are rejected? I would love to go to GSD for 5 terms instead of 7 since I have a BS Arch but if I had the opportunity to go I would rather just apply to the standard M.Arch I program.

Aug 30, 22 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
zaha123

Please double check this but I would assume so because on their website it says that those applying to the MArch I program and [are] interested in being considered for Advanced Placement should enter any previous studio courses and studio projects they have. So I’m guessing it works the other way around but again double check.
From what

Aug 31, 22 9:23 am  · 
 · 
zaha123

Please double check this but I would assume so because on their website it says that those applying to the MArch I program and [are] interested in being considered for Advanced Placement should enter any previous studio courses and studio projects they have. So I’m guessing it works the other way around but again double check.
From what

Aug 31, 22 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Lindsaymiller

I know RISD moves applications, depending on where they think the application lands (at least that's what they said in the 2020 application tip video), but I am not sure if every school does this.

Sep 28, 22 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Yes! I attended various GSD admission talks for this coming application season. You can be considered for the regular stream, BUT you have to indicate it on the application. There's an option somewhere when you select what program that you're applying to that you would ALSO like to be considered for the regular stream.

Nov 27, 22 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Is it worth it to apply to research oriented programs as opposed to studio oriented programs? 

Sep 2, 22 5:43 am  · 
 · 
waterbottle

In terms of job prospects.

Sep 2, 22 5:46 am  · 
 · 

I would say that the two distinctions between research-oriented programs and studio-based programs are as follows:

1. NAAB Accreditation for licensure is for studio-based curriculum. So if you want to become a licensed architect, this is your best bet. Research-based curriculums are not NAAB accredited.
  2. Research-based curriculum offer more focused and specialized forms of study/investigation, while studio-based curriculums tend to be more broad.
  3. Both can be great paths to career prospects, but depend on what you want to do. It also depends on the program and the school. 
Dec 14, 22 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
mrcutout

Happy to connect! The application process always comes with anxiety..

Sep 2, 22 7:47 pm  · 
1  · 
sumedhgangurde

make some WhatsApp group or some other group so we can connect with applicants for fall 2023 intake

Sep 3, 22 2:47 pm  · 
1  · 
waterbottle

we could make a discord

Sep 15, 22 7:32 am  · 
1  · 
A_leaf_amongst_many

Did you make a WA/Discord?

Feb 21, 23 3:37 am  · 
 · 
voguescholar

Hi! I am applying this Fall :) I'm a US citizen and will be applying to mostly US schools and a few in Canada (UT and UBC) for M.Arch 1. Happy to connect!

Sep 5, 22 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
fangl

Hi! I am also applying to UT and UBC for MArch 1!

Sep 12, 22 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
fangl

Anyone knows if this year's number of applicants shows a drop..?

Sep 12, 22 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
ambrbk

I know about a half dozen people who applied for FA 2021 admission (to all the esteemed universities mentioned here), and got into non of them. Then they re-applied for FA 2022, and basically got into the same programs they were rejected for. Some of them literally just reaaplied, not editing portfolios. 

I would have to assume this is due to a less crowded applicant pool. If I have to hedge my bets, number of applicants are still less than their peak during COVID.

Sep 12, 22 5:31 pm  · 
1  · 
fangl

Thanks for the reply! Did u mean 2022 applicant pool dropped a lot compare to 2021? and that this year the trend continues?

Sep 12, 22 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
ambrbk

yea, anecdotally, many of my classmates who graduated with me just applied for many Master's programs right away. They originally wanted to work for some years, but COVID made that hard.

When I got into FA 2021 program, the head of the admission or something emailed us about how they got a record number of students applied, and whatnot. They still have not taken me off their mailing list, and it looks like for FA 2022, they are not boasting about a record number of applications.

Sep 12, 22 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

There was a definitive drop in applicants in 2021 vs 2022 for graduate schools. Graduate applications are directly tied to economic performance. When there aren't a lot of jobs (Spring 2020) more people apply to grad school...when there are tons of jobs (Spring 2021) people tend not to apply to grad school.

Dec 14, 22 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
LizzieDArchie

I wondered this too. Parsons had their priority deadline set at December 15th, but then a couple days later they sent out an email saying that the deadline got moved to Jan 8th, and LOR were not required anymore.

Jan 5, 23 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
waterbottle

I checked on the website, Parson's deadline is still December 15. Can we still send out applications?

Jan 6, 23 3:20 am  · 
 · 
LizzieDArchie

Yes, they sent out an email to applicants that they extended the deadline to January 8th

Jan 6, 23 11:35 am  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Oh awesome. Thanks!

Jan 6, 23 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Rssd

Hey, does anyone know about how strict is the portfolio page limit? I've seen berkley admit portfolios way over 20 pages ( 10 spreads )

Dec 9, 22 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
ham1

"The portfolio may contain up to 20 pages of design content and must be saved as a single file in PDF format. It may be in a two-page spread format, and any dimensions can be used."

I thought Berkeley's portfolio limit was 20 pdf pages, so if you print in spreads you get 20 individual sheets. Anyone have a clear answer either way?

Dec 15, 22 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

just make a 20 page digital portfolio without 'spreads' . who the hell prints them anymore

Dec 16, 22 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
LizzieDArchie

i just finished my application to UT Austin on Wednesday! Now i am just finishing up my Parsons essays :’)

Jan 5, 23 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

Where else are you applying. Even i applied to austin

Jan 6, 23 2:32 am  · 
 · 
LizzieDArchie

I am applying to Parsons and UT Austin

Jan 6, 23 11:41 am  · 
 · 
_kaleidoscope_

Is Berkeley sending out emails if one's application has been sent to the second round of evaluation? I spoke to someone who said they received such a mail

Jan 10, 23 12:41 am  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

I applied to Berkeley for M. Arch I and did not receive an email about making it to the second round. Has anyone else?

Jan 23, 23 9:49 am  · 
 · 
ham1

Nope! I didn't know that they did that

Jan 26, 23 11:25 am  · 
 · 
ham1

Has anyone else receive an email like this? Decisions are coming out in the next month so I'm curious/getting worried :(

Feb 1, 23 11:55 am  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

Berkeley released decisions yesterday to some people but I still have not heard anything, have any of you?

Feb 25, 23 8:52 am  · 
 · 
_kaleidoscope_

I haven't :(

Feb 25, 23 9:21 am  · 
 · 
darcyarchy

Does anyone know how long you have to decide after you are admitted to schools? Is it similar to undergrad  in the US where the universal date is May 1? 

Jan 26, 23 7:57 am  · 
 · 
pasdedeux

most say April 15

Jan 26, 23 10:58 am  · 
 · 
aspiringarchitect12

Supposed to hear back from all schools by March 15 at the latest, and you must respond by April 15 to put down a deposit.

Jan 26, 23 11:41 am  · 
 · 
ahjun

Same for canada grad schools?

Jan 26, 23 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
_kaleidoscope_

Has anyone heard back from any of the universities in the US? 

Feb 3, 23 6:15 am  · 
2  · 
aspiringarchitect12

I have not. Anyone else hear back yet from any US schools?

Feb 13, 23 10:14 am  · 
1  · 
ham1

Not yet, but Berkeley should be soon. Nothing from gradcafe either

Feb 13, 23 11:17 am  · 
 · 
_kaleidoscope_

I saw someone get in for MAAD on gradcafe

Feb 18, 23 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Relativeurbanism

Hi, 

Has anyone applied to NUS for Masters in Urban Design course for fall 2023? If so, did anyone hear back from them?  

Feb 13, 23 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
otterworldly

Anyone applied to SMArchS Urbanism at MIT and got interviewed?

Feb 17, 23 9:01 am  · 
 · 
pogo91

Hello everyone,

I received the email about the status update from Yale, but when I enter the portal, I do not see any update but the form asking me to accept or deny the admission. I am really confused about if I am admitted or not. Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

Feb 21, 23 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
RM_1

Hey! Has anyone received an acceptance from Georgia Tech MS - High Performance Buildings? Or have given an interview recently?

Feb 25, 23 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: