Archinect
anchor

Is an ICC Digital Codes Premium subscription worth it?

Markytect

Hi Folks. I'm struggling to decide whether to drop $1K on the complete NC digital code bundle package offered through ICC. I've been using the free interface for years and I'm not sure if the extra interactivity of the subscription is worth it.

Any advice based on your experience with the interface?

Thank you! It's a lot of $$ !

Aug 19, 22 2:09 pm
ivanmillya

I've personally found UpCodes to be extremely valuable for looking through my state building codes easily, for free, and with the knowledge that the codes are always the most up to date. They also have a subscription service that includes comprehensive code search, calculation, and access to illustrations and diagrams, which costs $33 a month (vs. ICC, which costs $88 a month). I'd only consider ICC if I headed up a large office doing work in tons of different complex occupancy types throughout the nation. For me, I do custom residential in Southwest Florida, so my free access to UpCodes works just fine.

Aug 19, 22 6:32 pm  · 
2  · 
deltar

The above comment reads a lot like an ad, but I will second UpCodes. I have a physical copy of my building code and unless I'm going over code with someone I just default to the online version. It is passable without the additional features if you have your nose in the code enough to generally know the answer before you start. 

Aug 19, 22 7:11 pm  · 
2  · 
ivanmillya

Haha yeah I guess it did sound like an ad read. I just got done showing a coworker today how to use UpCodes, because they were pouring through the basic version of ICC's online codes and having trouble finding the snippet they needed.

Aug 19, 22 8:21 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I wish I had access to the commentary. It's the only thing I'd consider paying the theives at ICC for.

Aug 19, 22 9:07 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

I've always wondered though... even if you could use the commentary to argue to your building department that your interpretation of a code is correct, wouldn't it still ultimately be up to the individual department's interpretation? I've never particularly understood the code commentary... but then again, the sector I'm in is pretty tightly understood without needing to pour through code books.

Aug 20, 22 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The IBC and IRC are model codes, and ultimately just suggestions that are adopted by local authorities. Local jurisdictions have total authority both over changing the written provisions as well how those provisions are interpreted.

Aug 20, 22 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The commentary gives me insight into how the code is intended to be used and interpreted. The AHJ having the final say is a fact we must live with. The commentary allows me to make decisions earlier and faster because I know the intent. What some disgruntled asshole at the plancheck department decides isn't worth worrying about until the decision is made.

Aug 20, 22 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
deltar

At this point in my career I AM the disgruntled asshole at the plan check department. That being said, if an Architect or Engineer brings me something I very rarely ask for corrections. In 99.9999% of cases I will just add notes and approve. That way the contractor can't say "you never told me." When I kick something entirely back it is because there is legitimately missing information in calculations or violates zoning/setbacks. I hate the type that gets so spun up in the perceived power.

Aug 22, 22 12:16 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Sorry deltar, my personal biases should be a little less weaponized.

Aug 22, 22 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
deltar

Hey man, bias away. My end goal is licensure not perpetually reviewing home owner drawn napkin plans.

Aug 22, 22 12:32 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

stick around deltar, we need some AHJ perspective in here every now and then

Aug 22, 22 1:18 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Totally agree.

Aug 22, 22 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: