Archinect
anchor

Recession

baboo.fei

You know it. I know it. It's coming. It's not gonna be pretty - the question is, how bad?

Let's talk work, salary, hiring, layoff. Share your '07-11 experiences / flashbacks. Advice for the youngins. News of impending doom. Or just how you are feeling at the moment. Whatever.

Jun 16, 22 2:28 pm
RJ87

We're assuming it wont last a terribly long time. We just secured a new national client & with the work we're onboarding now combined with the work we have getting started with other clients we assume we'll just carry on as usual financially if not have it be an above average year. Provided we don't have too many stop entirely, we should be fine. But you never know, we'll see.

As for "how am I feeling"? A bear market & the fed raising interest rates when I'm in the market for a house make my personal finances more frustrating.

Context - 15 person firm. So it takes less work to stay busy than a massive firm.

Jun 16, 22 3:32 pm  · 
1  · 
baboo.fei

Thanks for the input. Sorry about the house situation - it's really sucking for a lot of folks right now, I figured. Sounds like your experiences echo the theme of "low business sentiments but no material decline in activities." Let's hope it's a soft landing for everyone...

Jun 17, 22 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just dropped a tonne of cash into crypto and bought a few sweet coloured swirl NFTs.  That'll hold me up for a few years and I'll come out like a rock star.

Jun 16, 22 3:35 pm  · 
5  · 

that's what i'm talking bout bro.

in all seriousness good luck to everyone, finished my m.arch in '12 and hibernated another year in a full ride fellowship for the sweet health insurance benefits getting a m.sci.

so i guess the take away is ride out the storm in grad school

Jun 16, 22 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Alex but we'll be fine (laughs in Canadian). There is far more work in the area than there are available arch offices too.  Waiting on a competition result at end of summer than will keep us fed for 10+y too.

Jun 16, 22 4:03 pm  · 
2  · 

We've slowed down a bit here. That's due to a certain mountain town being dumb and temporarily shelving a project. If we get any of the six projects we've proposed on we're going to need more team members.

Jun 16, 22 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Keep your investments diversified and if you're lucky enough to have done so keep a minimum of six months of income in cash savings.  

That's about all you can do unfortunately.  :(

Jun 16, 22 3:54 pm  · 
3  · 
baboo.fei

Solid points, but the six months savings... that's something like $30,000 for folks just out of college. Even without student loans that has to be pretty difficult for a lot of people.

Jun 17, 22 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Chad, when you say cash, do you mean cash-cash? I have 6 months savings in a bank account but the interest rate is so low that maybe just keeping actual cash in a safe is better?

Jun 17, 22 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Baboo, it is hard when you're starting from zero. I was well into my 30s and had paid off my student loans before I had worked up to 6 months of savings.

Jun 17, 22 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Well, when you are fresh out of college, you most likely won't have much of anything in terms of savings... maybe a week's worth but you build it be budgeting your expenses so you spend less than you earn. Over time, you build that up. It will take a little while to build up 6 months of money that is saved or set aside... call it a rainy day fund. It can be in a savings account or in a safe or wherever you feel safe with it that it will be there and that someone doesn't steal it. Investments are another matter independent of cash reserves. Think from an accounting point of view versus the specifics of where the money is stored exactly. That's up to you but you have to be able to 'inventory' what money you have or don't have. Chad's advice is solid and sound but intended for those who are already established professionals not so much for someone who just beginning. The only way to build any savings is to not spend all you make or outspend what you earn and build a mountain of debt that will come at you with interest because interests on debts almost always are at a higher rate than the interest you get from any kind of savings account, CDs, etc. Considering recessions that effects this profession, they occur roughly on or around a ~7 years to ~15 year cycle in the boom/bust rhythm. During the period between one recession and another, you should be able to build up some cash reserves if you are employed for 75% or more of that time frame. If you are employed for less than that, your cash reserve would probably be less.

Jun 17, 22 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

House prices still high even as mortgage rates go up. Unemployment still low even as companies are starting layoffs. Probably won't come to a head till Fall/Winter when it's apparent inflation still not slowing down and rates keep getting higher. That's when construction and design starts going on hold/cancelled and it will be a red Christmas.

Jun 16, 22 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Could be. I'm less worried about inflation and more worried about a global recession due to Russia and the greedy oil companies.

Jun 16, 22 5:32 pm  · 
2  · 
Stasis

Yes, but some Democrats are also pressuring these oil companies not to produce more oil for the environmental concerns.. they want you to buy more electric cars (as if this is affordable for everyone).. yet, Biden approves more ethanol in gas... it's already a mass in this country..

Jun 16, 22 6:10 pm  · 

They can ask - the oil companies aren't listening. Just like when others ask the oil combines to produce more oil. The oil companies response - no we're making too much money.

Jun 17, 22 10:01 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Phlease stop. Inflation began before Russia invaded Ukraine. Turn off the cnn spin machine dude.

Jun 17, 22 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

While that is true to a general point in that inflation has been going on since the 1960s other than the very small inflation rate before that when we were on the gold standard. Now, when we also adopted minimum wage laws and also have all these workers' strikes and all that has contributed to inflation because if people get a 10% increase in pay, the cost of the associated goods or services is increased at least by 10% if not more. There are various factors that contribute to inflation and so have this Russia/Ukraine and OPEC have been contributing to inflation and may be key factors in the current moment involving an increase in oil prices. However, the oil price increase has a pervasive domino effect on absolutely every industry/occupation. So x-jla, we have to be attentive to larger picture of inflation but also the current events that are impacting. Before this Russia/Ukraine issue, we had the global pandemic which was the driving force of increase pricing of stuff before hand but now we have this Russia/Ukraine issue.

Jun 17, 22 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

My choice of stocks (ev car companies), ETFs, 401K all lost money.. I feel like diversely screwed :)..  Only win is my mortgage that refinanced just last year at 2.625% with the minimum payment of $1850/month.. and have about 1 year to go on my wife's student loan.  If I lose a job in this recession, I can live off of my wife's income but I'll go out and do anything to bring money.. Unlike last recession where I had 1-2 years of experience, I am in much better shape now and in a firm with more robust clientele, so I am not as nervous as before.. I could be wrong though.. what if we go to a war with China?

Jun 16, 22 6:04 pm  · 
1  · 
gibbost

In a few months, you can all come back and tell me I was Pollyanna.  I simply don't see it.  The stock market is reactive not predictive.  Trading is all algorithms.  The computer doubles down on what it did the day before because of math.  That's when the Fed steps in and hits 'ctrl+alt+delete.'  Raising interest rates is something the market needs now for correction--even if it does hurt a little.

As far as work is concerned, we've never been busier.  It's never safe to project out further than six months in this industry, but I don't see the bottom falling out like 2008.  A slow down, probably.  But that might be worthwhile to allow supply chains to catch up, the labor market to stabilize, and mental health to be prioritized.  All of which would make our jobs easier not harder in the long run.

Architecture is one of those unique professions where we are always asking, 'what's next?'  Our business model requires us to constantly worry about where the next project is coming from.  Part of that seems ridiculous as a business strategy.  But the silver lining to it is that it requires us to always be improving and honing our craft.  Constantly checking in with our clients and ensuring we maintain relationships.  A slight pause or slowdown in the economy gives us time to keep that in perspective--perspective that is often lost when you're traveling each day at breakneck speed just to keep up with demand.

Jun 16, 22 6:27 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

Yeah - I don’t see it either. So many firms right now are so grossly understaffed that I think a lot of people are wishing for a slowdown so they can get a bit of a break. There’s still a major housing shortage in the US, there’s still a lot of demand in some other project types.

Jun 17, 22 11:28 am  · 
 · 
baboo.fei

Bottom falling out sounds unlikely, but I feel like non-residential stuff might see very little demand for some time to come. Lot of overbuilding (esp. industrial) during the pandemic, and apartments might cool down if the insane rent growth stops or slows. On the other hand, lots of talk about converting urban offices to condos / apartments recently...

Jun 17, 22 11:33 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Yep, and not all recessions are deep. Some are less noticeable. They aren't all going to be like the recession of 2008. In fact, the pandemic may have been the recession about a decade after the 2008 one s and we are just climbing out of. Recessions serve a purpose in economics much like inhaling and exhaling. It's the economic balancing out economic bubbles. The next recession may be 5 or so years out. It is all a guessing game. If you predict every day it will be the day the recession hits, you will be right eventually. It's not what I would really call prediction.

Jun 17, 22 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm trying to find a name for what I'd like to call Defensive Architecture, if that wasn't already linked to military and war-related buildings. I already focus on sustainable design and do some off-grid homes, and I have a strong interest in Permaculture and other self-sufficiency measures. With the rich getting much richer in recent years, I think there is a strong market for designing and possibly building truly self-sufficient homes, compounds and small villages, and it will only get stronger if and when US society continues to break down.

That sounds negative, but I'm just looking at patterns and see this as a growth market, and I'm fortunate to be in a position to capitalize on it. 

Jun 17, 22 9:00 am  · 
2  · 

How affordable are off grid homes though WG?

Jun 17, 22 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Not very, which is why I think it's a growth market--serving our money-holding overlords. I'm also working on developing pre-designed plans (following Pretty Good House principles) that would better serve the lower-budget clientele that I have been trying to help for the last several years with full custom design.

Jun 17, 22 10:05 am  · 
2  · 
baboo.fei

That's pretty bleak man...

Jun 17, 22 11:33 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

If society breaks down, which is possible, Those communities will probably need guns. Just sayin.

Jun 17, 22 12:35 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Wood Guy

Good thing I have a decent stockpile of them. They may be antiques but they still work.

Jun 17, 22 1:35 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Ya'll watch too many movies. WG, you need turrets!

Jun 17, 22 1:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I have a large barn behind my house that I want to fit out as office space and maybe a guest room on the second and third floors. It would make a good lookout point. I'm on top of a hill 200' above the surrounding area and would have a good view from up there. But my wife wants a new kitchen and bathroom in the house first...

Jun 17, 22 2:23 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Wood guy, they are probably more reliable then the cheap plastic junk they sell now.

Jun 17, 22 2:51 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Lmfao. That made me spat out my coffee. Typical- Wife wants a kitchen, husband wants an apocalypse look out station.

Jun 17, 22 2:52 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

WG, can you compromise and relocate the kitchen into your (apparently 3-storey!) future doomsday bunker?

Jun 17, 22 3:01 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I'd also like a new kitchen and bathroom; I actually do a majority of the cooking, but yeah that does sound typical. I'll be blogging about the kitchen addition on Green Building Advisor as I have some low-carbon, low-cost, high-performance details I want to share.

Non, we've actually thought a lot about putting a commercial kitchen in the barn, for my wife's side business making herbal skin care products, and various other ideas. But getting water and septic there is a challenge because we're on solid bedrock. I can't attach an image here but the barn was built in 1830. It's about 40' x 60' with 17' eaves, so more like 2.5 stories. This isn't the best photo and it's several years old but it's the easiest to link to: http://www.ridgepond.com/.

Jun 18, 22 8:56 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

heard on Crystal and Saagar that residential  building permit applications dropped the most this past week since before the 2008 crash.  With rates at over 6%, no one in their right mind is going to sell their homes.   If you had a mortgage with a locked rate of 2-3%, why would you sell and get into a mortgage with a 6+% rate.  It’s like the fed is purposely trying to dig the hole deeper.  They are utterly incompetent.  

Jun 17, 22 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

A recession is almost a guarantee at this point. Unlike 2008, this will be coupled with inflation. I’m already seeing hesitation from clients.

Jun 17, 22 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

That might be because they don't like working with you x-jla.

Jun 17, 22 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

3%? we renegotiated in the depths of 2020 summer at 2.2. hehe

Jun 17, 22 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Chad, they all love me believe it or not.

Jun 17, 22 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Chad, they all love me believe it or not.

· 
x-jla

I even got invited to a wedding. Yay

· 
rcz1001

There is always a guarantee that another recession will occur. Economies operates on boom / bust cycles with relatively few exceptions but in general, other than the medical health care industry, all economies operates from boom/bust rhythm pattern. Every economic bubble grows and pops and grows again and pops. This is all part of the cycle of investing and collecting on the investment and that overall loop. PS: Every recession happens with inflation. There isn't a year that goes by where there isn't inflation. Every time anything goes up in price including wages and salaries, inflation is happening. People think they are reacting by having a wage increase but the reality is also that they are feeding into inflation and the increase in price which is basically the whole phenomenon of inflation is.

Jun 17, 22 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

No

Jun 17, 22 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Graduated undergrad in 11, couldn't find a job so I went back to grad school. Lived in Michigan, still couldn't find a job there in 13, so I moved away. 

My office is understaffed at the moment, and we've been getting new work. I'm essentially sole staff full time on a large housing project in construction for another 20 months. Only realistic chance I'd get let go is if they wanted to replace me to hold onto someone they found more valuable... possible, but highly unlikely.

Start of the pandemic I was on a project that went on permanent hold though, they laid off a lot of staff over a period, and I was on the other end of that getting rid of people too keep people strategy. Pretty icky. 

Fingers crossed things don't dip to much and the market just levels out a bit. 

Jun 17, 22 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

Depends on the niches. For example since I work on larger industrial complexes that have to be done at the end od the day. I feel that it will cost the clients more  And not me so much. I will have to account for my clients rage and dissatisfaction. But hey alls well that ends well.

Jun 18, 22 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: