Archinect
anchor

Canadian New Graduate to US Employment - TN Visa

saqibm7575

Hello,

I'm an Canadian soon to graduate for Master of Architecture in Toronto, Ontario, and currently am working fulltime an as Intern Architect (I'm member of OAA, Ontario Association of Architects), I am thinking about moving to states for for employment in field of architecture when I graduate.

There are two questions I had, which i was hoping someone can help with. 

First, Internship hours

As I mentioned I am working as an Intern Architect, and I have already logged in 760 hours towards my internship (IAP). So, I was wondering if is it possible to transfers internship hours from one Architect Association to another, in this can from IAP to AXP. 

I tried contacting NCARB regarding this, but have not heard anything back, hence why i ask here.

Second, Moving to States with a TN Visa

After going through the list of requirements for the TN Visa, I was wondering if there any possible issues with the fact that as an new graduate, although I do quality as an Architect based on NAFTA's profession educational requirement for an Architect, however, I technically am not an Architect as I do not have my license as an Architect yet.

In this case, what would be my options?

I have already applied for some jobs in USA, and some of the firms are not licensed Architects sadly, even though they do architecture work.

So, if I were to get hired by one of licensed Architect Firm, GREAT! Would I need to present any additional documentation proving that I will be operating under an Licensed Architect? if so, what would be this additional document be and what would it need to contain in order for it to be considered as valid.

On the other hand, if I were to get hired by an unlicensed Architect, what would be my option, given that I will still be practicing architecture? Some of these companies are developers and they hire Local Architects from outside the company as a consultant to sign their projects. In this case, would an Architect, who is not part of the organization I may be hired by, act as an supervising Architect? if so, what would be this additional document be and contain in order it to be valid.

I understand that one option would be too hire an TN visa Expert/Lawyer, but to be honest, I called few and my god their fees are just crazy... So I will only go that route as the last option.

Thanks Everyone!

Mar 26, 22 9:00 pm
ArchKid

You need to register for NCARB Record. Your employer in Canada needs to sign off on those NCARB hours. You cant transfer.

You can back track your hours 

Jun 4, 22 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you can still record hours worked under a US office through the OAA. You just need to have the minimum Ontario hours before you’re able to write ExACs and get licensed. The Canadian path to license is far more modern and easier than NCarb so unless you plan on moving to the U$A full time, keep your OAA IAP active. 

Jun 5, 22 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

also, unlicensed architects don’t exists. Don’t waste you time for hacks. 

Jun 5, 22 9:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: