Archinect
anchor

ArchiCad vs Revit

I would like to know from you all if you prefer working in Archicad or in Revit? I personally know Archicad and am very glad that I learnt the same.

What are the main differences between the two and what would be a few good reasons to learn revit?

Feb 28, 22 11:02 am
proto

search is your friend

it's been covered before

Feb 28, 22 11:23 am  · 
2  · 

I prefer Revit simply because so many other firms and consultants use it.  

Feb 28, 22 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Only revit export directly to ms paint. That’s their advantage. 

Feb 28, 22 3:25 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

ArchiCad was designed by and for architects and Revit wasn't.

Feb 28, 22 3:45 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

And yet it seems that Revit can do everything a capable Architect needs for a project. Our firm won't switch to ArchiCad simply on the basis that none of our consultants use it, so it defeats half of the whole point of BIM.

EDIT: I have heard ArchiCad is much more popular in Europe/GB than it is here in the states.

Feb 28, 22 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
54angles

I've heard that for larger buildings, Revit makes sense and have seen firms switch back. ArchiCAD in a smaller firm can replace more programs so that's one package advantage (don't need Sketchup or AutoCAD or more). There is no better, just depends on workflow and consultants and office setup. 

For workers, it doesn't really matter either, the skills are transferrable and in most cases, most details are either already done or will be further detailed in 2D because it ends up being that way. No difference there, we aren't at a point of any perfect solution. Certainly in the US the main program is Revit but it's not a big concern for a decently devoted person looking to design instead of be a software cog.

The same saying goes: if you don't know how a building goes together, just using ArchiCAD isn't much more useful than dumb Sketchup or Rhino beyond design/massing.

Mar 3, 22 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

It looks like the OP is trying to ask a question that has been asked before. Has the OP tried the search function? Would you like me to show you how?

Feb 28, 22 4:41 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

From my perspective as a technical architect/"detail guy", I haven't seen anything to convince me that either one is especially better than, say, SketchUp when it comes to actually adding value to an architectural project. When a BIM program lets me do 3"=1'-0" (or 1:5) details that are actually part of the model instead of separate details just like they were in AutoCAD or Pencil-Aided-Drafting before that, then maybe I'll change my mind.

Mar 1, 22 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

SketchUp on the hands of an inexperienced designer is a terrifying thing.

Mar 2, 22 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

An inexperienced designer is a terrifying thing with any tools.

Mar 3, 22 4:31 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

That's true, but I can use Revit to discuss how a building is built, considering the dimensional toolset and the way things generally play with each other (when it works.) I find it impossible to have a conversation about why a molded marshmallow fluff SU model is or is not feasible when the pushes and pulls leave me with no frame of reference to even TRY to discuss what a stud is and how it works. I'm also wanting a better software, but you could not pay me enough to work in SU these days.

Mar 3, 22 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
lmnoc1

I see many people are trying be a jerk above.

^^^

Just Ignore them.

You are asking a valid question in this fast evolving software industry. Let the newcomers live. This forum is pretty dead anyway

Mar 2, 22 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Forums in general are pretty dead, captain obvious. It's 2022 and most people use some other platform.

Mar 2, 22 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Viva la forum!

Mar 3, 22 10:53 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: