Archinect
anchor

What are you reading?

glick

...not necessarily architecture related. I am currently immersed in "You Shall Know Our Velocity!"...Dave Eggers is genius. I can't put it down...maybe due to lack of proper chapters, hence no good stopping point.

Jun 22, 05 12:17 pm
Kristix You! Black Emperor

Yeah that book is really great, from the beggining, from the cover of it... but they told me the one he wrote before about....genius... is far better...
I'm just tryin to find some time reading "fightClub" after learning by heart all the dialogues of the movie...

Jun 22, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

dave eggers genius? nah. he's just a decent writer with a huge f'ing ego that annoys me. a heartbreaking work of staggering genius just bothered me.

but currently, i'm reading "love in the time of cholera" by garcia-marquez and collections of short stories by nabokov.

Jun 22, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
glick

I suppose Eggers style is polarizing...If you are not into it I can see how it would be bothering. And so far, yes...I like A.H.W.O.S.G. better.

Jun 22, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

Two sailing books:

Dove by Robin Lee Graham
The Curve of Time by M. Wylie Blanchet

Jun 22, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Encyclopedia Ichnographica
Jun 22, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Last three titles I found really interesting:

"Blink - the power of thinking without thinking", Malcolm Gladwell.

"The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel

"A Fine Balance", Rohinton Mistry (I had to take a six week hiatus from reading after this one - couldn't soil the memory of this work with some 'mere' book).

Jun 22, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mm

I loved the first 3/4 of "You shall know our velocity" but I think it fell apart after that. For those who read it, you can probably guess what point in the naration I'm refering to. I also really liked the introduction to "Heartbreaking work..." but got a bit tired by the end.

Speaking of Davids, I think David Sedaris is very fun to read. I believe I've read everything he's published at this point.

Jun 22, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
morningbell1101

david sedaris is great. slap your ass funny, insightful and touching at the same time.

Jun 22, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

didn't we just have a 100+ post thread on this last week?

Jun 22, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
glick

i dont know...what was it called...i searched for book related topics...maybe i can't search very well

Jun 22, 05 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

freq_arch--What did you think of Life of Pi? I had mixed feelings about it--it was well written, it lingers in my mind, the "plot twist" at the end was interesting, but in the end...I don't know.

If the question is "what did we read read recently" instead of "what are we reading," I'll offer A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin. It took forever to read, but I thought it was fantastic.

Jun 22, 05 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
glick

snjr - how did you get italics for the text?

Jun 22, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

I typed an open bracket "[" followed by an "i" followed by a close bracket "]". Did the same thing to close the tag except added a backslash "/" . Look at the code below for posting a link--same idea as regular HTML, just using [ instead of <.

Jun 22, 05 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
skizzil26

Edwarde Tufte's Envisioning Information and Visual Explanations

Jun 22, 05 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

The twin birth certificate of Gordon and Sebastian. It says the Matta-Clark boys were born 22 June 1943.

Jun 22, 05 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
Super-Cannes

-- J.G. Ballard

Jun 22, 05 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
glick

Recluse26 - I have those open as well...I love the map of the ocean floor and topography in Envisioning pg 91

Jun 22, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
glick

thanks snjr i will experiment with that

Jun 22, 05 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

snjr:
Honestly, I don't recall the specifics much (Life of Pi). Probably because I followed it immediately with "A Fine Balance' (utterly engaging and all encompassing read).
I just really enjoyed Pi - a great time suspending my disbelief.

Jun 22, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

snjr:
OK one specific thing I liked: someone asserting dominance over a Bengal Tiger by eating its shit. Think about that - it's got some seriously wicked commment on submission, control.
I can't hink of any other context that something as inverted as that makes sense. That's what I liked about it.

Jun 22, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Dramas: Anything by Neil Labute and Kenneth Lonergan.

Jun 22, 05 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
noel

modern construction handbook by andrew watts

Jun 30, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek
The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana

by Umberto Eco

The Loch by Steve Alten

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

Fiction is my friend and I need to turn my brain off for a few months after thesis.

Jun 30, 05 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

right now. bangkok 8. spicy asian noir.

Jun 30, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
architorturealist

i am reading three books right now,

da vinci code..yes i haven't read it yet

and two ARE books, trying to finally finish my exams...but i am sure you all can guess how riviting "construction documents" is to read, real "edge of your seat kind of page turner"

Jun 30, 05 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

super-cannes by ballard, mentioned by smokey, is one amazing twisted book
just finished "a season with verona" by tim parks...brilliant book about football culture in italy - you'll laugh your arse off.

before that "pattern recognition" by william gibson - recommend highly

Jul 1, 05 7:28 am  · 
 · 
johndevlin

must read for archinects and architects is "Hawksmoor" by Peter Ackroyd: fiction about architecture in early 18th century London - 1985

Jul 1, 05 9:58 am  · 
 · 
batiment

how many of you have read Devil in the White City. A few people have recommended it, like my mother, but only one recommendation from someone I would consider listening to. I've tried starting it a few times but got too busy with other things to really get in to it. I think its mainstream success scares me off a little. (I've always been a big fan of woody allen's scepticism of his own success, he thinks he cant be that good if its popular).

anyways, an architecture fiction / reinterpreted-history that i did enjoy was From Bauhaus to Our House. Anyone read it?

Jul 1, 05 10:47 am  · 
 · 
French

1980 by david peace. PRet terrifying book but entertaining.

Jul 1, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
French

pretty terrifying. Sorry.

Jul 1, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
a-f
Life Without Objects

- Superstudio
The Snake - Stig Dagerman
Doktor Glas - Hjalmar Söderberg

Jul 1, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
cf

chakras

Jul 1, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

The Stories of Paul Bowles

Jul 1, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
French

Life without object is a must read, a-f. I thought I knoew much more about superstudio than I did when I read it.

Jul 1, 05 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

batiment, the last "what are you reading" thread had several thumbs-up reports on Devil in the White City. You can probably do a search on the title and find them.

I really liked the book, as did my partner. We have an original edition of the architecture catalog published at the time of the Exposition, so it is kind of fun to look at all the buildings mentioned.

The bad guy in the book was REALLY BAD.

Jul 1, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
icedragon

25 way to win with people -John Maxwell

Jul 1, 05 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Last reading-related discussion here.

I've started Me++: The Cyborg Self and the Networkd City. It brings up a lot of interesting notions about location in the wired world, but I'm having a hard time just reading straight through it - seems to be more rewarding when I open it at random and read for ten minutes, then contemplate.

Jul 1, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
JK664

radical reconstruction
lebbeus woods

Jul 1, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
icedragon

How to be a star at work.

Jul 1, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
icedragon

How to be a star at work.

Jul 1, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
arrky

the torah (in a not religious way)

Jul 1, 05 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
icedragon

how do you read the torah in a non religious way??

Jul 1, 05 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
nicomachean
Being & Nothingness

by Jean-Paul Satre

Jul 1, 05 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
the righteous fist

a wild sheep chase by haruki murakami, out of sequence, it's sequel was the first i'd read of his. in any case they're all gold dust.

otherwise struggling with the society of spectacle and relieving myself with the sleepless in seattle script.

i used to read v-2.org a lot more, now whenever i read collisiondetection.net i don't think i read enough of him. i read kottke.org for the snippets but also to look for his sometimes interesting and lengthy links, lunch hour length. overall, internet reading is losing out to book reading, and murakami in particular. that said, i'd already lost the time to browse when i got a job.

Jul 2, 05 8:06 am  · 
 · 
conversationkiller

henry miller tropic of capricorn

Jul 2, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

french: good on ya mate. i just finished david peace's red riding quartet (1974-1983). great books and they just got better. i'm looking now to find a reasonably priced copy of his new book GB84 about the miners strike, but getting it in the u.s. is tough.

Jul 2, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

Freakonomics by Steven Levitt

anyone read it? thoughts?

Nov 21, 05 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Austen - Northanger Abbey
Chesterton - The Club of Queer Trades
Hugo - Les Misérables
Bloom - The Anxiety of Influence
Bonhoeffer - Creation and Fall, Temptation

Nov 22, 05 1:28 am  · 
 · 
mrfletchersevil

non-arch? hmm...

Autumn of the Patriarch - gg marquez
Diaspora - greg egan
Dune - briam herbert
Beyond Good and Evil - Nietzsche
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus - Wittgenstein

Nov 22, 05 2:16 am  · 
 · 

another book by leon uris: armageddon. published in 1963. novel set mostly in berlin, about the beginnings/evolution of the cold war between 1943 and 1963.

lately i've been reading these old bestseller-type books. if you acknowledge that our current bestsellers (clancy, crichton, grisham, turow, patterson, etc.) reflect a contemporary view of the world, it's interesting to see something like berlin in 1962 through the eyes of a novelist in 1963.

[remember when the ussr broke up, how there was a lot of anxiety that clancy and lecarre had lost their primary subject and james bond was going to have another enemy?]

Nov 22, 05 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: