Archinect
anchor

Christmas/Holiday decorations

Wood Guy

I'm determined to get into the Christmas spirit this year. We don't have room for a tree in our house but I ordered some multi-colored lights for the balsam firs I planted in front of our house a few years ago. What do you have for decorations, or what displays have you seen that you like? Points for architectural tie-in. 

Dec 5, 21 8:17 am

my set up this year:

The little Christmas trees are from the North Carolina company called crabpottrees.com. Last year the little Christmas trees went on the pillars either side of the stairs, but the weather has been warm enough my potted plants still look good so I left the pots and put the trees on the steps.  The lights on the porch ceiling are there year-round. My second grade next door neighbor helped this year; she decided the red sticks would look good stuck in the ground individually.

Dec 6, 21 7:39 am  · 
5  · 
Wood Guy

Classy yet festive, I like it!

Dec 6, 21 8:07 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

where's the snow?

Dec 6, 21 8:35 am  · 
3  · 
proto

specified a local product & it's in production currently

Dec 6, 21 12:38 pm  · 
3  · 
randomised

Picked up an aluminium spinning greeting card holder that became our Christmas tree and the pole on which it spun doubled as our Festivus Pole...

Dec 6, 21 2:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

You go all out, eh?

Dec 7, 21 3:02 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Indeed!

Dec 7, 21 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
bencarsa

I'll get few Christmas trees and decorate it with light of different colors. Then I will put string lights along the ridge of the roof.

Dec 7, 21 1:13 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

For the interior, I have a Christmas Tree tapestry. Put it up on the wall, add minimal lights and a few ornaments, done. Takes up 2" of depth on the wall and is life-sized. 

Dec 7, 21 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I have a single ornament, an alligator with a Christmas sweater that has an operable mouth. A classic from the mid 90s Hallmark era. It is currently hanging on my golden pathos in my dining area. 

Dec 7, 21 3:32 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

We put up our tree last night. I love putting ornaments on the tree, makes me feel like a little kid (reinforced by the fact that most of our ornaments are from when I was a little kid). My wife grew up on a christmas tree farm, where my in-laws still live, so we make a whole thing every year of going out and picking our favorites, cutting down a tree for everyone in the family and hauling them out. Christmas is great surrounded by trees, I'd recommend it.

Dec 9, 21 11:45 am  · 
4  · 
tduds

The NY Post loves to run this article every December. Written by my sister-in-law, about their weird childhood on a christmas tree farm: https://nypost.com/article/i-grew-up-on-a-christmas-tree-farm/

Dec 9, 21 11:47 am  · 
3  · 
square.

no tree shortage for you this year!

Dec 9, 21 11:48 am  · 
 · 

It looks great tduds! I enjoyed the article about your wife’s family. Man oh man do I miss the Pacific Northwest.

Dec 13, 21 7:17 am  · 
1  · 

I just shoot a few flaming arrows into the air each night starting December 12th.  

Dec 9, 21 2:18 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

i'll keep an eye out

Dec 9, 21 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

More like you'll poke an eye out. ::rimshot::

My bow isn't hat powerful. Unless you're within 300 yards of my house you won't see much.

Dec 9, 21 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

What about solstice decorations, does anyone do those!? This guy isn’t a solstice decoration, but a Gavlebocken. My teenage son gifted it to me two years ago when he heard me cackling with laughter over the Gavlebocken Wikipedia page, which describes how many of these straw goats have been destroyed, typically by fire, over the years.

Dec 13, 21 7:23 am  · 
3  · 

Here’s an architectural tie-in, Wood Guy: the little white reindeer came from a product rep several years ago, I think it was Filz Felt.

Dec 13, 21 7:24 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I love it, Donna! I'm a pagan at heart. Here in Maine we should really be in the Atlantic time zone, not the Eastern time zone--sunset for the last week has been at 3:57 pm--I'm ready for the winter solstice.

Dec 14, 21 7:45 am  · 
 · 
citizen

What about decoration pet peeves amongst us visual obsessives?

Even as a kid I always booed any green tree lights because, hey!  The damned tree's already green!

Dec 14, 21 2:20 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Just last night I went into the den where our new tree is. I got that first whiff of indoor pine and was completely, instantaneously transported. Suddenly I was six and wondering which presents were mine. That time-smell continuum is very, very powerful.

Dec 14, 21 2:25 pm  · 
2  · 
gibbost

Blinking lights! Especially different strands at different times. Hate it. You can add 'inflatables' as an entire category that doesn't belong as well.

Dec 14, 21 5:29 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

^ I envision a tiny sniper across the room, taking out each little blinker with a tiny slingshot.

Dec 14, 21 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

our inflatable Santa paw patrol lives in the house and is on whenever the tree lights are on. 

Dec 15, 21 7:18 am  · 
1  · 

The Gavlebocken was struck down again this year! But some people are saying this was a necessary sacrifice to Odin so now 2022 will be better? One can hope. Poor goat. 

Dec 17, 21 6:27 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

This is maybe my favorite holiday tradition. It's just so hilariously chaotic (but not mean spirited).

Dec 17, 21 11:38 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

For those not familiar, check out the timeline: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A4vle_goat

"It was replaced by the smaller Natural Science Club goat, built by local high school students.This goat was later hit by a car" incredible.

Dec 17, 21 11:39 am  · 
1  · 

Sorry about that. I guess one of my holiday flaming arrows got away from me.  I'll use a lighter bow from now on. 

Dec 17, 21 12:21 pm  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

mostly wanted to show off the revised mantle.  Whitewashed the red brick, painted brown wood panels, and new shelves and led strip.  My elbow still hurts a month later from the hammer drill!

Dec 21, 21 7:52 pm  · 
 · 

shell, it looks beautiful! Both the mantel/hearth renovation and the tree. Is that a live tree in a brass bucket? Or a tree sitting on a brass plinth? I love how clean it looks.

Dec 22, 21 7:35 am  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

Brass plinth, I think we will do a live tree next year. Unfortunately this one isn’t so too well

Dec 22, 21 2:08 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Made some small Christmas ornaments from claywith the boys…items include the usual stars, but obviously also a holiday snake, a festive banana and a beautiful pile of shit. Painted them silver and gold and they look awesome! So much nicer than store bought ornament.

Dec 22, 21 5:11 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

I can't get a decent photo of my decorations, but this popped up on my FB feed, with the caption, "A beautiful sight...we're happy tonight...walking under women's underwear."

Dec 23, 21 8:30 am  · 
3  · 
randomised

Isn't that a Dean Martin song? Walking Under Women's Underwear

Dec 23, 21 8:55 am  · 
 · 

I saw this too, Wood Guy, it totally made me laugh! That’s underwear. Definitely.

Dec 23, 21 9:10 am  · 
1  · 
wyattpalmer

This Christmas, I went all out with decorations at my place! I filled the place with sparkling lights that make everything feel warm and Christmasy. The Christmas tree is like a memory lane with all the special ornaments I've collected over the years. I went for classic red and gold colors to keep it timeless. I hung wreaths and put up garlands everywhere to make it feel super festive. The house smells amazing with cinnamon candles and fresh pine. I also added comfy blankets and cute pillows to make it cozy.

Oh, and I have to tell you about this amazing donkey art gift bundle I got from Miguel Camarena Art Gallery. I used them to decorate my fireplace – two on the wall and one outside near the entrance door. They add such a unique touch to the festive feel!

Dec 26, 23 7:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: