Archinect
anchor

Life of an Architect

tylerdinis

Hey everyone, my name is Tyler and I'm a Designer in CA. I graduated from Newschool of Architecture and Design in 2018 and have been working in a firm ever since.The firm is small with about 10 people total but that means I've been able to work on every phase of multiple projects and learned a lot in a short time. I'm not licensed yet, but I've taken 4/6 ARE 5.0 exams and have experience there too.

I recently decided to make a YouTube channel talking about what I do every day in the office to give students an idea of what to expect for life outside of school. Check it out and feel free to comment there and ask me any questions about specific tasks I do on projects, the path to licensure, or what you need to apply for a job. 

Day in the Life of an Architect | Ep.1 |

Jul 7, 21 1:13 pm
RJ87

At no point of the video did you respond to emails & get constantly interrupted by phone calls. Therefore I declare shenanigans.

Jul 7, 21 2:39 pm  · 
8  · 
RJ87

Also, brace for people giving you a hard time about making a video about the day in the life of an architect when you're not an architect. Best of luck on the last two exams, once you're done it's a big weight off your shoulders. Just keep hammering away at them.

Jul 7, 21 2:44 pm  · 
6  · 

First thing I thought when OP introduces themselves in the video is that someone would have a problem with them calling themselves an "architectural designer," as any derivative of "architect" is practically verboten before licensure.

Also, the "Life of an Architect" is kind of already taken (with quite a large audience/presence): https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/

Jul 7, 21 2:54 pm  · 
5  · 
RJ87

It wasn't the architectural designer part that I thought would do it, it was the fact that from then on he referred to what architects do as "we".

I don't want to kill his enthusiasm though. At least he's actively 2/3rds the way through the exams working on licensure.

Jul 7, 21 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

Admittedly, I didn't watch the whole way through.

Jul 7, 21 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
RJ87

I'm riding shotgun coming back from a site visit across the state. I have time to kill at the moment.

Jul 7, 21 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Came here looking for a Bob Borson thread... this is not one of those.

Jul 7, 21 2:57 pm  · 
6  · 
SneakyPete

Daily Life in an Architecture Office

Jul 7, 21 2:57 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Also a hard FUCK no to the downtempo trap beats in the background. I turned it off the moment the 808 started up.

Jul 7, 21 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Life of an Intern.

Jul 7, 21 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

tduds, I thought about that for the name of my blog. Glad I decided against it. https://archinect.com/arch-ellipsis

Jul 7, 21 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Short, you should have released these videos public until after you have your license. Right now, a petty jackass could report you and hinder you from getting licensed. If possible, remove them from public view/access until you finish your exams and have your license. It's my suggestion because it would be a shame that you are this close to getting licensed and then get reported to a licensing board and then they fine you and deny you licensure for an indefinite period of time which can be years. 

Either way, good luck with getting licensed, and maybe a little rebranding the video like what SneakyPete suggested is a good possible idea.

Jul 7, 21 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I’m sure you notified the authorities already ;-)

Jul 7, 21 3:42 pm  · 
1  · 

see that didn't take long for someone to take issue and give the OP a hard time. Makes me think of this old tune...

Jul 7, 21 3:47 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

randomised, nope.

Jul 7, 21 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

E_A, just something the OP should be advised to do sooner than later.

Jul 7, 21 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

I know Rick. The issue is that we had already made that point without sounding like we were threatening the OP ... "it would be a shame that you are this close to getting licensed and then get reported to a licensing board and then they fine you and deny you licensure for an indefinite period of time which can be years."

Jul 7, 21 7:55 pm  · 
1  · 
rcz1001

I apologize if it came off that way. It wasn't intended to be a threat but that it is a serious issue that there are people that would report an unlicensed person for using the architect title without a license. It is that corrective measure needs to happen like... now not two weeks from now because if someone (not me) reports the OP, it will only be a matter of days. Licensing boards do not have a sense of humor that they're aware of. They can be real pricks. I'm trying to nudge the OP to make immediate steps into compliance until they are licensed. This way, if there was a case, the boards and investigators for the board would see that the OP had taken the initiative to correct and bring himself into compliance before they had to order the person into compliance. If you wait until you are ordered to, you would get a fine and possibly be barred from getting a license. ("You" being rhetorical) I know the boards take the licensed title and anyone that would be on such a board are very protective of the title and practice. I didn't mean it as a threat but it is hard to convey the seriousness without a serious tone which would come off as threatening by some. Always does for some. Not using a serious tone doesn't convey the seriousness and light the fire under the ass to correct the issues and bring himself into legal compliance. In effect, I'm doing this to save him from something more serious coming down the pike. In fact, the person who reports him doesn't even have to be on this forum. When I said, it would be a shame, it would be when he's this close to being licensed. I apologize if it came off as threatening but I stand behind expressing the seriousness of the consequences of not taking the issue seriously.

Jul 7, 21 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Love The Aquabats.

Jul 7, 21 9:20 pm  · 
2  · 

Nice work. 

FYI - there already is a blog an vlog called 'Life of an Architect' done by Bob Borson and Andrew Hawkings.  

Jul 7, 21 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yeah, but have you heard of my blog? It's called 'Life of a White Architect?'?

Jul 8, 21 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: