Archinect
anchor

Question about Hexagons

Hey guys, I was wondering, since hexagons are the most efficient shape proved by the honeybee conjecture, why do we not see more hexagons in today's architecture such as floor plans, or why are they not so common. If hexagons are truly as efficient as they are, would it not make sense to try to incoporate them more into our designs, or is it because of aesthetical reasons?

Mar 26, 21 3:05 am
randomised

hexagons are not as efficient as you think they are

Mar 26, 21 5:02 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

how and why are they most efficient? Answer that question and you’ll get your answer. I predict you’ll be disappointed. 

Mar 26, 21 5:52 am  · 
2  · 
monosierra

Right on - question what is "efficient" in different situations. Hexagons might be efficient in terms of packing but not necessarily in terms of building construction.

Mar 26, 21 10:43 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Or... space planning.

Mar 26, 21 11:12 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

worth pointing out bees occupy the hexagons stacked vertically too, not in plan. not much use for a room with a small flat floor and four wide sloped sidewalls. accessibility from the corridor would be a nightmare...

Mar 26, 21 11:48 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

FLW designed several homes with hexagonal elements. Thomas Jefferson designed Monticello and Popular Forest with octagonal elements. The roofs on both of those leaked badly.  

Mar 26, 21 7:17 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I don't think the leaky roof is necessarily correlated with the geometry?

Mar 26, 21 9:41 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Maybe the lack of 90 degree corners didn't help.

Mar 26, 21 10:42 am  · 
 · 
t a z

hexagons and the bestagons

Mar 26, 21 9:42 am  · 
6  · 
t a z

*are

Mar 26, 21 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I am here for this reference.

Mar 26, 21 1:48 pm  · 
1  · 
t a z

somehow I f-d up a one line meme, but your support is appreciated!

Mar 26, 21 2:51 pm  · 
3  · 
( o Y o )

Triangles are the most efficient shape. Ask Bucky Fuller.

Mar 26, 21 9:43 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

A hexagon is just six triangles.

Mar 26, 21 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

you can make a hexagon with only 4 triangles if you know what you're doing

Mar 26, 21 11:31 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I haven't seen a new kitchen or bathroom without hexagonal tiles in quite a while. Building with angles other than 90°, or curves, always costs more than building with right angles. Hexagons and triangles may be structurally efficient but they are not always budget-efficient.

Mar 26, 21 11:03 am  · 
 · 

"A bee puts to shame many an architect in the construction of her cells. But what distinguishes the worst architect from the best of bees is this, that the architect raises his structure in imagination before he erects it in reality."

--Karl Marx

Mar 26, 21 11:51 am  · 
5  · 
baboo.fei

Damn, this Karl guy sure have a way with words. He should write a book or something...

Mar 31, 21 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

If you have a typical hexagonal structure (such as a structural panel with the hexagons sandwiched between two aluminum panels) each side of the interior hexagons shares a common wall with other hexagons. You can't do that with pentagons or octagons. Which is why it probably is the strongest structure for those applications. Or for beehives. 

Mar 26, 21 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

hexagons are structurally efficient in systems where there are relatively short stacked layers of closed cells. structural efficiency isn't the most important factor in building design though - usable space is.

the most useful situation for honeycomb structures is the same as the one bees use them for - stiffening layers of thin flexible material. and construction does indeed use them in this way. look up honeycomb panels.

https://www.arrow-dragon.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-aluminum-honeycomb-panel/

Mar 26, 21 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

I was also thinking about the kraft paper cores for hollow core wood doors, IKEA shelves, etc. ... but it isn't always hexagons. This guy knows what I'm talking about... 

Mar 27, 21 1:05 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

right unless it's extruded or cast obviously triangular infill strips are easier to make

Mar 27, 21 9:32 am  · 
 · 
midlander

The AIA was headquartered in a hexagon house for many years and still uses the building. The irregular hexagon plan was more about fitting an odd shaped lot than structural efficiency though. And for obscure reasons it is given the misnomer of Octagon House - I guess there were no geometry consultants available at that time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Octagon_House

Mar 26, 21 11:39 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

i realized as i posted that i am looking at this lol

Mar 27, 21 12:49 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

ye old fllw

Mar 27, 21 10:27 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this

Mar 27, 21 10:28 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I wasn't drunk, just couldn't attach the images from the phone

Wright Chat :: View topic - Tracing the designs of 4 basic chairs |  Hexagonal architecture, Wright, Hanna house

Photo 22 of 23 in This Recently Listed Frank Lloyd Wright Home Is a  Refreshing Blend of Old and New - Dwell

Mar 28, 21 1:13 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

https://archinect.com/news/art...

Mar 27, 21 3:19 pm  · 
Koww

triangles are the best

Mar 30, 21 2:43 am  · 
 · 
t a z

NASA likes hexagons:

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/cont...

So does FREE (Soumaya Museum):

Mar 30, 21 10:33 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Soumaya is the most hackneyed piece of shit building I've ever experienced.

Mar 30, 21 10:59 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

the shipping container is the most efficient shape.  

Mar 30, 21 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

very efficient shape indeed ;-)

Mar 31, 21 4:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: