RIBA/ARB Part 1 and Part 2 for overseas entrants



I assume this question has been asked before in some form or other. Though I couldn't find an clear answer that I could have my queries answered which is why I'm posting this.

I'm a professionally accredited architect from India and I'll be pursuing postgraduate studies in UK this September hopefully. I can't really get my head around the Part 1 and Part 2 system for architecture professionals aiming to work in UK as architects, despite researching the topic for months (or maybe I'm stupid to not understand it).

What exactly does gaining Part 1 qualification implies? That you give the Part 1 examination and pass it? Or is there a way to get an exemption because I recall some courses mentioning statements for Part 2 PG courses that the applicant needs to gain Part 1 exemption; the word 'exemption' is confusing me, like can I gain Part 1 without sitting for the Part 1 exam?

Secondly, is it so that doing a one-year PG such as in Architectural Design MA wont qualify you for Part 2? As in, to get Part 2 does one need to enroll in Part 2 PG course as the only way?

I've been stumbled on this confusion for a long enough time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 10, 21 11:48 am

" the word 'exemption' is confusing me, like can I gain Part 1 without sitting for the Part 1 exam? "

No , you need to sit for part I exam. Basically,  if you had completed a course in an accredited school in the UK , you'd have been exempted from the ARB exam.

It took me 30 seconds to locate this link :

Jan 10, 21 10:50 pm  · 


In my defense, as I said, I was confused slightly and needed clarification.

Jan 12, 21 1:03 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: