Archinect
anchor

Tattoos in the workplace

n8than

As the architectural profession grows and shifts into a more modern workplace, thus straying away from men in white-button-ups hunched over drafting tables; how has the acceptance of tattoos in this specific workplace changed? 

If someone was qualified, ie had all the proper degrees, working towards or is licensed, has had good experience, and has a good attitude, but they had visible hand/finger/neck/ tattoos, would this sway your decision to hire them to work in your firm? Why or why not?

Jan 8, 21 1:30 pm
Non Sequitur

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Been discussed here more than once.

Personally, I don't care as long as the person knows how their shit and can function in an office setting... but I could still see client interaction being an issue if management and client base are older and/or more conservative types.

Jan 8, 21 1:40 pm  · 
4  · 
n8than

Thanks for sharing! I absolutely agree with the client aspect of things.

Jan 8, 21 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Seems very common, as said it's been discussed. I'd say I've seen relatively few people running firms who have tattoos, but I expect that to change as the next generation comes up into more leadership positions. 

Still never seen an architect with a face tattoo, but I look forward to the day, it is coming. 

That said, I think it would be a lie to say that visible tattoos wouldn't impact your job getting odds. There are people out there in hiring positions who have bias about these sorts of things, even in our profession. Though I think it's much less likely to be a problem these days, especially depending on region and firm.

Jan 8, 21 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

discreet, sure. in your face, no.

Jan 8, 21 2:48 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Speaking of in your face, how do you feel now that you have a curfew? Feels like you're back in highschool? Can't even stand on your porch after 8pm... probably. 8-)

Jan 8, 21 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

I'm OK with it. Being retired, the only reason for me being out past 8pm is to take our dog out. I get all my stuff done during the day. There are a lot of people, mostly young, who waltz around town with no masks, they gather in groups, ride up and down the elevator in groups not keeping their distance, and so on...I say, if they want to die, that's fine with me, but don't take me with you.

Just got my test done, and came out negative, so that's alright. Maybe by the end of this year or early next, I'll get my shots. It is actually a PITA to be, pretty well, locked up. Wife and I feel like going for a drive to TX or AZ (we have done this a few times already) or fly to Vienna, but cannot do, so that really sucks. Miss the warm weather - that said, it hasn't been very cold so far. I did lose my car wheel caps - AGAIN! Damn potholes.

Jan 8, 21 3:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Gotcha, at least we have hockey soon. I have family in the Laurentides and it's the same story there too.

Jan 8, 21 3:16 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

I have a lot of tattoo, as my best friend is a tattooist and I get them for next to nothing.  But I never show them at work.  And quite often shock my co-worker if they see me out of office.  They don't expect me to have 3/4 of both my arms covered.

Jan 8, 21 3:01 pm  · 
1  · 

Yeah I don’t really care. Maybe cover up when meeting with a client until you know them well enough, but besides that? If you know your stuff, you’re good with me. 

Also I’ve been thinking about getting one lately.

Jan 8, 21 3:13 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

This guy clearly sports ink and looks like a functioning member of society:

Congress Holds Joint Session To Ratify 2020 Presidential Election

Jan 8, 21 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Did Mexico pay for the tattoo on his arm?

Jan 8, 21 3:21 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I love tattoos. I only have a couple of small ones, mainly because I feel like it's a luxury I don't really need. I wouldn't work somewhere that cared about tattoos, and I know that all of my clients see my wedding ring tattoo and probably assume I have more. I am not stupid, though, and would stick with ones that are relatively socially acceptable. 

Jan 8, 21 4:13 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

I have no tattoos, but wouldn't want to work somewhere that cared about them either.

Jan 8, 21 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm an owner and have large branding on both arms, as I've mentioned here before. About half my staff has some sort of tattoo, but mostly not visible. Personally I support your body art choices, just be smart about it with conservative clients. 

This is my old friend Nick, an architect in NYC. 

Jan 8, 21 5:11 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: