Archinect
anchor

big tattoos = no job?

merryrogue

I'm finishing my second to last year of undergrad with the intent (and hope) of getting into a M.arch program and becoming an architect. the sticking point is that I would like to get a sleeve tattoo for my graduation, but I'm not sure if architecture is ... shall I say artsy enough for a most times covered but big tattoo to fly. 

(or allow me to get hired.)

nothing racy or inappropriate, it would be roses and a crow in black ink. (I did BFA for undergrad tasteless is not in my vocabulary. loud yes. tasteless no.)

TLDR - big but tasteful sleeve tattoo, mostly covered by long sleeves. hired or fired? 

something similar - 

pintrest find, no idea

May 4, 18 3:28 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 40 Comments

mightyaa

I know plenty of architects & engineers with sleeve tattoos.  I have a feeling though it may be more of a regional thing.  

May 4, 18 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

seems like a big risk to me. 

Wouldn't get you fired, but won't help get you hired

but then I have always worked in pretty stogy places

May 4, 18 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

It depends on the firm.  If it's visible then yes it will be a problem for some.  In one conservative old firm that I worked in, the Principal in that branch wouldn't hire anybody with any visible tattoos, no matter how small.  He had a lot of other rules/hangups besides tattoos. 

In some - maybe most - other firms it won't matter.  But before deciding that you'd never, ever work in a really conservative firm anyway, just also consider that architecture is notorious for cyclical downturns, so there are likely to come some times in your working life when, if you want to keep working in architecture firms rather than temporarily or permanently switch fields, you may have to take jobs you wouldn't choose during better times.

Also as a woman in architecture I'd question whether it will always be practical to keep that covered in professional settings.  Sometimes I have to attend work-related semi-formal events, dinners, etc., and wouldn't ordinarily choose long sleeves in summer, though I guess that's not impossible.  Again it would depend on the type of firm, projects that they do, and your role there whether those types of events would be an issue.  Just consider flexibility for future career/role/setting changes.

May 4, 18 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

It would move you to the front of the line in my book. But I'm not a big firm kind of guy. And I have tattoos. 

May 4, 18 3:49 pm  · 
1  · 
geezertect

It's definitely a generational thing.  Small one probably OK, but I would say generally to stay away.  This fad will go the way of all fads, and then you'll have the problem of getting rid of it.  Somebody is going to make a fortune removing those things in a few years.  Hmmm, come to think of it, that might be a possibility for these "what else can I do?" postings.

May 4, 18 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Exactly. But there's always Turlington's Tattoo Remover from SNL. (Watch for comparison of the same tat @ age 20 then 65. Brrrrrrrrr.)

May 4, 18 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

I mean, you're putting a crow so just say it's a tribute to Corbu. 

May 4, 18 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Visible ink has been discussed in my office in a negative way only by the name partner, who is now approaching 70.  The remaining management folks don't seem to care but there is always that "will you be exposed to clients" part.  Depends on how conservative the client and partners are.

May 4, 18 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

I would just cover it up for formal meetings and interviews, and on days where there are no meetings, clients or principals coming in you are probably ok if some tattoos are visible. 

May 4, 18 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You need to read Adolf Loos "Ornament and Crime". Buildings with ornaments on them are indistinguishable from low level criminals who have tats. 

Is that how you want to be remembered Howard Roark? 

May 4, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I have two forearms full of branding. I wear short sleeves most days, including in meetings with clients. I recognize that it may not be to everyone's taste, but not everybody else's style is to my own. 

If you want it and you're ready, go for it.  You can always wear long sleeves. Not the end of the world!

May 4, 18 5:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Somehow it seems a woman would get away with this better than a man. I would still here you.

May 4, 18 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
proto

portland would be unimpressed if you had no tats

May 4, 18 6:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Derek Askari duPont

good to hear.

Oct 10, 18 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Could you just do a 3/4 sleeve then wear more business-professional attire at work? 

That has been my approach, and I've not had problems. By the time you are at the spa getting beat with birch branches with a client, you are past that.

May 4, 18 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I would advise against it. A lot of owners frown upon tats in my opinion. Especially the principals I work with. I don’t have any tats personally but don’t have issues with people that do. However I feel that  certain people still have stigmas on them. Just be wise on locations and being able to wear clothing to conceal them. 

May 4, 18 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

If you can't be yourself at a firm, maybe it's the wrong firm to be applying to in the first place. Go to interviews with your tattoos showing and see how it goes...

May 5, 18 2:50 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Maybe a better approach (one that I used) was to conceal everything for the first 6 months while I worked my ass off. Then once I wore short sleeves, nobody cared because I had been doing a good job. I haven't looked back

May 5, 18 9:32 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

^^Sounds good in theory but you may be stuck in a firm that isn't "approopriate" for you when the market is shitty.

May 5, 18 10:23 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

That's true, regardless of tattoos.

May 11, 18 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

On th bright side- when you get fired/layed-off, you can immediately find a jib at Trader Joe’s ;)

May 5, 18 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
starling
I think the bigger question is are you sure you will still want this tattoo in 10 years? Still regret mine...

To answer your question, I don’t think people care about that too much anymore. A few guys at my firm have them and show them on casual days. We used to have a policy against beards too, that’s done also. If you are well groomed and/or attractive you can get away with pretty much anything.
May 11, 18 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I have lots of tattoos all over my body.  But everyone of them are cover-able for a professional world.  None of my clients would have any idea that I have a full sleeve on  my right arm, or a piece that runs from my toes up to my thigh.  I keep them covered at work.

May 11, 18 10:52 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's like hiding under a burqa to not entice sexual advances of people with eyes.

May 11, 18 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Ya kinda, I live in a conservative area. I also have the catholic school board as a client.

May 11, 18 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

An informal poll tells me that 8 out of my 19 fellow employees have tattoos. This is just from what I've seen in casual observation - there may be more that I don't know about.  Like I said, I have very visible branding that I don't hide unless I'm in a meeting with a new client.  I have stretched earlobes (over 1" at one point). 

Just FYI. 

May 11, 18 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No face tats? how pedestrian.

May 11, 18 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I know a 60 year old architect in NYC with 100% of his face tattooed.

May 12, 18 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
jodiehigson

I'm researching and I'm doing civil engineering then possibly structural engineering or architecture but do you reckon they will allow a labret piercing?.

Jun 23, 20 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Man I always thought it would be cool to have a sleeve comprised of drawings of completed proejcts. A tat-foilo. Roll up sleeve point to project.... :like this one?" 

But..... once you complete some projects you realize the luster and allure of the design is gone some. And i would imagine needing a lot of thin line work which doesn't hold up so well in tattoos. I can imagine some detail drawings being used to create fun tats. I don't think anyone at my mid size west coast firm of about 50 people would have a problem with tattoos. Could even be an asset to help exhibit your creative personality. 

May 11, 18 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Sweet!  Parapet flashing detail on calf... "see how the sheet metal drip bends with my veins?"

May 11, 18 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I actually find that idea pretty interesting. Mundane typical detail prominently displayed? what's not to love?

May 11, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i could just see getting something like a tyvek detail tatooed on, then in a few years you switch to fluid applied and noone knows what your detail is anymore.

May 11, 18 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

depending on the detail, maybe you'll have to redline your tattoo in a couple years - X it out and big red letters write "insulation goes on the outside"

May 11, 18 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Please cloud and delta all revisions.

May 11, 18 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

May 11, 18 6:15 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Where are the labels and leaders?

(That's an awesome shot.  Plus, I originally typed "column enclosure" before changing it to parapet.  Good work, Miles!)

May 11, 18 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

What happens if you tattoo a cheat sheet on yourself and bring it into the ARE testing room? Lol

May 11, 18 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"Please leave the disqualifying limb in your locker during testing."

May 11, 18 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Pics or it didnt happen.

May 11, 18 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

May 11, 18 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
I have a tattoo sleeve that stops at my wrist. Just wear a long sleeve shirt during the interview like a normal human being would and you'll be fine. It depends on the office culture for normal wear, but the offices I've worked at don't seem to mind if I wear short sleeves on occasion.
May 12, 18 3:02 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Management

May 13, 18 4:46 am  · 
2  · 
BayG

I could never grasp on why people want to permanently damage their skin with tattoos or think they are pretty. Most people would never commit to having the same art pieces on their walls for the rest of their life, but think that in 10-20 years they will still love what they tattooed on themselves? Isn't that assuming one's believes and likings will never change and isn't that a stagnation towards self improvement? I canot help but think all tattoos and piercing  are a cry for attention and in some way lack of confidence. Also, if one have to cover themselves in certain ocasions, isn't that admitting that in some way those tattoos are shamful and you cannot stand by what you believe is beautiful. If you have it, own it. 

May 13, 18 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are you done yelling at those damn kids to get off your lawn grandpa?

May 14, 18 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia
@BayG the only shameful thing is that certain people (like yourself) try force their own political/religious/morals opinions on others. If you don't understand why someone would want to "damage their skin"... mind your own business, and don't worry about it. You're really just showcasing your ignorance.
May 14, 18 3:01 am  · 
1  · 
BayG

So you can express your views, but all that do not agree with them cannot? Not forcing anything more than anybody else that posted here. Answering somebody's question and maybe if you read it without so much hate, you will see that there is not forcing anything - "if you have, own it" means don't hide it.

May 14, 18 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Put another way, do you know what the difference is between those with tattoos and those without?

Those with tattoos don't give a fuck because they understand that somebody else's decision to decorate their own body doesn't hurt them. 

Over the long history of human civilization, those without body modification are the exception, not the rule. Each and every culture modifies their bodies to some extent. 

May 14, 18 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
austin_tayshus

You protest too much. Not everyone with tats is an "I don't give a fuck, I'm that awesome" pioneer. Some do it because of alcohol, or, god forbid, trendiness. And if all the tattooed were such iconoclast heroes, the tat-removal industry wouldn't be bigger than tattooing itself.

So, be proud of your tattoos, branding, butt plug, whatever. Good for you. But don't throw yourself a parade. (And, yes, if hair cutting, shaving, make-up, and earrings are counted, body modification has been booming.)

May 14, 18 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I worked in the tattoo industry for 10 years, pioneering many body modification techniques. I actually do know what I'm talking about.

May 14, 18 6:47 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

As for the removal industry being bigger than the tattoo industry, that's very obviously false. The metric they tend to use is dollars. Removal is much, much more expensive than the original tattoo.

May 14, 18 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

And lastly for you, why do you care about somebody else's motivations? What does that have to do with you? And why do you care? If it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anybody, then I say go for it.

May 14, 18 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
austin_tayshus

Agreed, and I don't care. Go for it, yes. I was responding to 1) the silly pile-on against someone who dared have a contrary opinion. (But then, this is the web, after all.) And 2) the lionizing as heroic anyone who staggers into a tattoo parlor after too many beers and Schnapps.

May 14, 18 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Since when?

May 14, 18 11:16 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

What's my research? Oh, I don't know. Maybe being an industry leader for an entire decade. WTF are you talking about? I'm not going to apologize for not cutting and pasting Wikipedia articles like you do, Rick.

May 15, 18 1:05 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm not going to dignify any of your nonsense with an answer. I'll only say that your very first assumption, that I was a tattoo artist, is incorrect. Therefore your entire argument falls apart, you fucking moron. BTW I didn't read any of your verbal diarrhea because I don't give a fuck about anything you have to say. Literally nothing. How's that for scientific rigor?

May 15, 18 3:33 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

When the tattoo is visable, I think your chances go down.  How much?  Unknown, depends on the firm I suppose but they wont tell you this.  It just is. 

You make decisions, you live with them.  We all do.

May 14, 18 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

This is my old friend Nick, an architect who may now be retired (haven't spoken to him in a few years) and enjoying the many millions of dollars he made buying and renovating brownstones in Harlem, NY. 

He is also gay, which much like his tattoos, apparently offends some people.

May 14, 18 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't mind the face tats... I do draw the line at the stretched nostrils...

May 14, 18 7:53 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt
I work at a corporate office with about 90 people. At least a quarter have tattoos. Most are not that large and visible, but there are exceptions with a couple people having large numbers of visible tattoos.

On the flip side, I know architects who might not hire you based on this, some people just are not ok with it, but most of those people are not worth working for.
May 14, 18 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
How many people on here don't have a tattoo.... and wear khakis/cargo pants? And wear a phone holster on their belt? And have more hair on the back of their head than the front? And drive a Pt cruiser? And work on projects in only AutoCAD?
May 15, 18 2:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not many M&E p.engs here.

May 15, 18 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Brusketa

Well, you always can hide such tattoo with long sleeves. You may loose opportunity to get hired by conservative firm or close to government or other with strict dress code. But, do you want to be a part of a such firm?

May 15, 18 6:56 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia
@Non Sequitur haha touché
May 15, 18 10:40 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I have a bunch of tattoos.  Kinda wish I didn’t have so many...gets annoying looking at same pics everyday... Usually Wear long sleeves until I get to know the clients. I got them all when I was 17-20 and fortunately they are not bad looking...just a bunch of plants, flowers....which is fitting as a landscape designer...most of my friends are covered with neck and hand tattoos and all...some clients and firms judge for whatever dumb reasons...but whatever...I also have vitiligo on my hands and neck and have had some idiots make comments...not sure why people are so obsessed over other people’s skin.  Makes no sense.  

May 15, 18 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Most people are just overgrown 1st graders. They don't know any better.

May 15, 18 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
dominiond

As a person who does a lot of interviewing/hiring, I am less likely to consider a person for a position when there are spelling mistakes, a picture of themselves on their CV and graphic design layout errors in their portfolio versus having tattoos. 

We are creatives and it is your choice on how you want to express your creativity. 

May 28, 18 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Exactly.

May 29, 18 2:46 am  · 
 · 
wynne1architect@gmail.com

Ornament is Crime! Only criminals has tattoos.

Oct 8, 18 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Derek Askari duPont

are you really sure?

Oct 10, 18 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

Someone has been reading too much of Corbusier

Jun 24, 20 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Its a non issue as far as I'm concerned, I have piercing whllatt I'm planning to also get tattoos in non visible locations aka not my face.

Jan 23, 19 3:17 am  · 
 · 
clairemk

as a female architect with tons of visible tattoos, a half-sleeve is no big deal, and completely normal in the industry by this point. I have never had trouble getting a job, most employers think it makes me cool and edgy, and they want to project that into the world... i have even worn short sleeves to a corporate -ish job interview and gotten the job. I'm also of the opinion that i wouldn't want anyone who wouldn't have me because of something as shallow as tattoos. 

The one thing is the clients, unfortunately - most institutional clients at least, tend to be more conservative, and it might affect whether your employer wants to put you in front of them or not - to this I would say, go the extra mile to dress well at work and prove that you can appear polished and professional (this is maybe just good advice for everybody) and it shouldn't be a problem. But i also live in Canada: where my partner works at a bank and gets given a hard time for not showing off his tattoos MORE. also, you're only getting a sleeve, no one will batt an eye.

Jan 24, 19 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Jaetten

I have a few, I'm a spiritual person, possibly a 'hippy' and probably a little bit strange. 
They're on my arms, wifey said no to the Ragnar haircut and head tattoo. :( I suppose that'd limit my career prospects to a reenactor.

Jun 24, 20 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: