Archinect
anchor

Graphic Tablets

The_Crow

Does anyone work with a graphic tablet? If so can you share your experience and how it effects your work flow? Any suggestions on good brands would be great as well!

Dec 3, 20 7:32 pm
newbie.Phronesis

Huion has good tablets. I'd recommend one with a screen so you can see as you draw - bought one without, experiencing disconnection between my hand and the drawing....

Dec 3, 20 7:52 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd agree with both statements. Wacom used to be the only real worthy player in the space, but not any more.

Dec 3, 20 7:53 pm  · 
1  · 

So what would you recommend SP? I've never used one but am really interested in them.

Dec 8, 20 11:41 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Huion is a crappily made Chinese technology android tablet. I’d stick with Wacom, or get a laptop with touchscreen. I think the Dell uses Wacom technology.
Dec 3, 20 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

Thank you for the replies! Haha definitely two opposing views

Dec 3, 20 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
JAK-90825
I picked up a Wacom Intuos tablet for digital sketching and redlining my sets. It has been helpful especially when trying to communicate an idea on a group call sharing your screen. It can be tricky training your hand with this though since you stare at the screen while your hand is down at the desktop.
You could get one of these and get into making some awesome drawings in corel or photoshop. Hold the shift key while you draw and its like having a parallel bar!
Dec 6, 20 7:14 pm  · 
2  · 
thatsthat

​I thought about buying a Wacom for working from home purposes. Redlining digitally using bluebeam on sets of over 50 sheets ends up taking hours longer than necessary. Have you found a Wacom to be actually helpful for redlining? Any issues with it?

Dec 7, 20 9:40 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I tried AutoCAD and SketchUp on a Wacom Cintiq, and really didn't find it added anything to what I could do with mouse and keyboard. Where I do think a graphic tablet might be a great boon, but haven't had a chance to try myself yet, is with Bluebeam, Design Review, or other mark-up programs.

Dec 7, 20 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Back in the olden days, I used a Calcomp 12x12.  You could remap portions of the grid to assign essentially quickkeys (similiar to a gaming keyboard or mouse macro). You could even print out a custom underlay to put on the digitizer. No idea if Revit has that function, but last I checked, the supporting stuff is still in Autocad.  It was helpful back in those days because the monitors weren't big, so setting up tool buttons was wasted monitor space.

If you are in Denver... I've got a stack of old Calcomp pads and I'd give you one to play with.

Dec 7, 20 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

When I bought my first AutoCAD (version 12 for DOS/Win 3.1), it came with an overlay for 12x12 digitizers in the box. It also had a hardware key that plugged into a SCSI port.

Dec 7, 20 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Yes. I also used a 3rd party Ketiv's ArchT add on and it had a overlay to fill out that top part. No hardware lock on the Autocad, but the 3DStudio had one (plugged into the serial port). I've got 12 of those pads that will go in the dumpster at the end of this month... (closing up my old office building and clearing the basement).

Dec 7, 20 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Come to think of it, the hardware lock might have been for 3DS - I bought them as a package. That broke my student budget, so I couldn't get the ArchT.

Dec 7, 20 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
ДмитрийСтерлингов

I have never used it, but I really want to try Huion

Dec 8, 20 5:16 am  · 
 · 
The_Crow

I think for my uses it would almost exclusively by a redlining, sketching, and rendering tool. I know on their website Wacom tries to make a compelling argument for it to be used as a 3D modeling tool, but I can't imagine it's of much use in that department. However, to have the ability to more fluidly connect my hand to the design process would be liberating.

Dec 8, 20 8:09 am  · 
 · 

That's what I'd use one for as well. I'm currently looking to pick one up so this thread is going to be helpful as I've NEVER used one.

Dec 8, 20 11:43 am  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

There was a designer at my previous job that used one of those Surface Pro's. He'd do just sketching very much like a paper sketch pad. Also I spotted him playing around with some 3d software, but no idea what. He transitioned from paper.

Dec 8, 20 11:51 am  · 
 · 
cuiping

I have used a Wacom Intuos tablet for AutoCAD and Revit for about 5 years or so now since i developed tendonitis from drafting with a mouse. It's very effective in mouse mode for avoiding wrist strain. pctechtest.com/best-drawing-tablets-for-architects-and-designers

Dec 7, 23 4:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: