Archinect
anchor

Computer Science into Architecture?

confusedtky0

Hello,

I'm from the UK. A few years ago I posted on here debating whether I should do architecture or a compsci degree. I ended up doing a compsci degree because it seemed to be a better choice for a more stable career at the time.

I have a job at the moment as an Analyst and it's good money; however, I really miss designing. I know I'm unable to do a masters in Architecture without completing a bachelor's degree in it but I was wondering.. what other routes are there into the architecture industry? Not necessarily to become a fully fledged architect but in a design sense where I could combine both degrees?

I'm aware of architecture being more code based now which is a bonus for me. Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Oct 21, 20 3:27 pm
Non Sequitur

how is architecture more code base now?  Do you mean building code?  If so, it's been like that for decades.  If you mean cool matrix-like screen scrolling text code-base... then, I'm sorry to inform you, you've been misled. That's not architecture.

Anyways, plenty of M.arch degrees don't require a arch-related undergrad and plenty of parametric angles are out there for you to pursue if that's your itch.

Oct 21, 20 3:34 pm  · 
3  · 
confusedtky0

Hello. I was told by several architecture class mates/students about gras
shopper recently so I had assumed it was code based in that regard.

Oct 21, 20 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's just concept design academic modelling stuff. There is certainly a need for it, but it is not what architecture is in the real world.

Oct 21, 20 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
confusedtky0

I suppose you're right

Oct 21, 20 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
confusedtky0

I actually can't find a single m.arch discipline in the UK that doesn't require a non-arch bachelor's degree

Oct 21, 20 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

"I really miss designing". LOL, does everyone outside the field think architects are like Gehry or Zaha? If you like designing, don't bother with this field. Go sketch some fun buildings to fulfill your designers itch.

My  favorite video again. I need to convince more dreamers away from architecture.

So you want to be an architect

Speaking of computer science. My friend with Undergrad Arch & March is making 40K+ out of school while his coding friend also with master but in computer science makes near 100K doing front end development. I will run like wind if I were you.

Oct 21, 20 4:01 pm  · 
3  · 
confusedtky0

That's a lot of degrees though omg. From these responses so far it seems like I made the right decision for my bsc.

Oct 21, 20 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
confusedtky0

Oops I thought you meant one friend, not two

Oct 21, 20 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

LOL, he spent 8 yrs in arch school and makes barely 50K.I doubt he can afford to go get a new degree and let go of architecture. His coding friend he met in his graduate school makes almost 100K. He does not like coding, but that money difference is just sad. Trust me, it makes you think twice about your passion. Eventually you will have to think about buying your house, owning a nice car, have leisure times for exercise because you are getting fat as you approach mid age. Not to mention extra time for your kids, family, etc. It may not seem bad at your 20s, but it matters more as you go further down.

Oct 21, 20 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Naransan

Hello,

I don't know if it helps but I have a computer scientist friend who worked in an architecture office. He was designing a vr game for the client to be able to experience the building better. The client loved the game and the company got way more funding after it. But when you look at it he wasn't actually designing

Oct 21, 20 5:54 pm  · 
1  · 
confusedtky0

I guess that sort of combines the two..

Oct 21, 20 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Aim higher - https://www.media.mit.edu/grad... 

Oct 22, 20 5:11 am  · 
 · 
JoeyTheGiant's comment has been hidden
JoeyTheGiant

Hey @confusedtk0, you could apply to my school, UNC Charlotte, and do the M.Arch 1 with a certification in Design Computation. I'm a first year M.Arch I and I'm getting to do amazing research in partnership with Yale School of Architecture, Center for Ecosystems, using Design Computational methodologies to Code algorithms for super advanced architectural designs and technologies. You are CORRECT, coding is the future (and present) of Architecture and design. We also have an MS. in Arch (and certificates in IT etc..) You can use these skills in other fields as well. Plenty of ways to make $$$.

Oct 22, 20 11:38 am  · 
 · 
JoeyTheGiant's comment has been hidden
JoeyTheGiant

Hey @confusedtk0, several students my school, UNC Charlotte, are doing the M.Arch 1 with a certification in Design Computation. I'm a first
year M.Arch I and I'm getting to do amazing research in partnership with
Yale School of Architecture, Center for Ecosystems, using Design
Computational methodologies to Code algorithms for super advanced
architectural designs and technologies. You are CORRECT, coding is the future (and present) of Architecture and design. We also have an MS. in Arch (and certificates in IT etc..) You can use these skills in other
fields as well. Plenty of ways to make $$$... There are tons of great programs that have Design Computation (or Computational Design) around the world. Keep digging. And best of luck. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. ;) 

Oct 22, 20 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

I can't believe universities have recruiters on forum. It will be funny if someone made the decision because of some recruitment spam. Mr. big shot, So who are you going to work for when you graduate? Zaha? Ghery? MAD? Oh I bet they will have the intern be in charge of the computational design of their 200M building.

Oct 23, 20 9:08 am  · 
2  · 
JoeyTheGiant

Hey Jay, they don’t have me on the forum, I just am here. I thought it would be good idea to share if anyone is interested. Proud of my program just wanting to share, it’s suited the the persons question. Wouldn’t have mentioned my program if it didn’t fit. Forums places to gain knowledge and wisdom and insight from the community. To gather and synthesize information, and to share it. Maybe I’m wrong

Oct 23, 20 11:23 am  · 
 · 
ziazia

Hi Confused!

Coming from a compsci background into architecture can be extremely powerful and you will find lots of places to work at. Don't let others tell you the opposite. I am a licensed architect and did my grad degree in upenn where coding and algorithm design was central to my work. For couple years I did a lot of research at the university I was teaching, we scripted very elaborate algorithms to generate urban simulation models. Now I use python, and grasshopper as a very important part of my workflow in the design and calculation of buildings. There are many places within the architectural field who look for people with good compsci background (academia, private practice, software development, construction). Feel free to contact me if you need any guidance. 

Oct 24, 20 11:11 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: