Archinect
anchor

Drafting tables

x-jla

I’m in the market for a drafting table...I want a good quality table, apx 3x5, reasonable price.  Any recommendations?  

Oct 19, 20 11:37 am
archanonymous

why don't you have your favorite millwork or stone sub make one for you? All you need then is the paraliner to mount and a stand. 

Oct 19, 20 11:44 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Look for a used Neolt Leonar or Arnal on Craigslist or Ebay.

Oct 19, 20 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

If you're near Southern California, Hopper's.

Oct 19, 20 1:51 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

What is this place? Never heard of it, but would like to know more. Googling takes me to Edward Hopper, which is fun, but...

Oct 19, 20 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Hopper's Used Office and Drafting Furniture, locations in Los Angeles and Rancho Cucamonga.

http://www.draftingfurniture.com/

Oct 19, 20 8:59 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Thank you! This is my favorite kind of place... I thought they were all gone by now, at least in my neck o' the woods.

Oct 19, 20 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I don't think the LA location has all the goodies, but the Rancho store still has various NOS stuff like jewel tip tech pens (or at least they still did last time I was there - it's been a while). If you happen to still use a pen plotter, they're the only game in town for replacement points.

Oct 20, 20 12:03 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Wood doors at Home Depot!

Oct 19, 20 3:58 pm  · 
3  · 
mightyaa

If you are in the Denver area, I have one I haven't listed yet (there are two, and I'm keeping one).  It's a solid hardwood 1960's type with flat drawer and side drawers.  Bigger than 3x5 though.  Don't know, but remember using E-size without a issue.  Also adjustable tilt and parallel bar is mounted/undamaged.  These came from my Dad's old firm and the last couple from what used to be a few dozen of them in the drafting pool.  Basically, they were too cool to get rid of when we transitioned to CAD in the '80's, so they've been in the basement of the office.  Now that I'm selling the building, its time to clear out stuff.  It's a big boy... no idea how or who might ship something that large and heavy. 

Oct 19, 20 6:34 pm  · 
3  · 
x-jla

Sounds perfect, damn wish I was in Colorado.

Oct 19, 20 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

local piano movers + cube van and a shit-tonne of tie-down straps. Come on, do it. You asked and got the perfect response. Probably a first in the forum.

Oct 19, 20 9:14 pm  · 
1  · 
mightyaa

Furniture movers.... Never used one, but have received large deliveries (vanity cabinets, tub, etc.)

Oct 20, 20 11:52 am  · 
 · 
rcz1001

besides furniture movers, freight services does deliver stuff that is bulky or heavy that regular UPS (not UPS Freight), USPS, and Fedex will not deliver. It's considered freight load in that case. Just pointing out that. That's all for anyone thinking they might want to send such a bid bulky item like that.

Jan 12, 22 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

I listed mine on craigslist and sold it to a sole-prop structural engineer about 4 years ago. It was one we got from someone who purchased it at a school district surplus sale years ago. Not sure if any local to you colleges or universities might have some still around at this point, but it might be worth making a few phone calls.

Oct 19, 20 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
LeanneHunt

Did you find one? I’m in Los Angeles. Sherman Oaks to be exact. I have an Arnal Nelly for sale. Professional Italian drafting table. Originally $1,000. I’m selling it for $300.

Jan 12, 22 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
LeanneHunt

Damn autocorrect. Arnal Neolt.

Jan 12, 22 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
mellon_charles

**ADVICE REQUEST**

Hello- I am checking out forums for advice on a 'neolt leonar' drafting table. It's quite a nice subject but I see it has been mentioned above so there's no harm in asking....

Is there a way to tighten the tilt mechanism controlled by the foot lever. I have one, but once it is tilted, and with the foot lever down - locked in place, it can be tilted back with only a small amount of pressure.  The mechanism/springs/ are hidden within the legs so I don't know how to go about accessing or tinkering with it......  Has anybody got any experience on this?

Many thanks in advance if you can help. Thanks for now, A

Apr 17, 23 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

**ADVICE**

What?? Do you think you are going to an aromatic massage retreat instead of an architecture school? Get a masonite hollow core door and a couple of supports (saw horses, file cabs, etc.) then, a parallel bar 42" min. and a borco board. this system is expandable and travels well. it is like a wheel and hard to improve it. if you want a tilt, put some books on one side. get serious instead of bringing in a fancy drafting table and looking like a tourist.*

* apply humor

Apr 17, 23 3:00 pm  · 
1  · 

Get a solid core door.

Apr 17, 23 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

sure, $$ and heavier and harder to schlep around.

Apr 17, 23 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What about a pile of flatten-ed pizza boxes taped together with a few scrap plastic setsquares and some sharpies?

Apr 17, 23 4:58 pm  · 
2  · 

I like how the advice questions turn into slapstick on Archinect, ruthlessly destroying sound advice!!!!;;)))))

Apr 17, 23 5:06 pm  · 
4  · 

If you want to do some pro wrestlin' moves and break your door over someone's head - go with the hollow core door. I personally like a solid core door so I'm able to use my drafting door after committing assault. If you want a portable drafting board go with a portable drafting board. The have handles so you can really whip 'em around at people.

Apr 17, 23 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Chad, should we worry about you? ;))

Apr 17, 23 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, why not go all the way? Just carry around two flimsy folding chair and a few 2x4s. Perfect for both quick drafting or the occasional WWE urge.

Apr 17, 23 5:30 pm  · 
1  · 

The 2x4 surface won't be flat enough.

Apr 17, 23 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
mellon_charles

I think I will persist in the repair of the table I already have before I craft  an entirely new one using a masonite door , but it's nice to have a solid back-up plan - many thanks.

I wish I was a tourist in an aromatic massage retreat - that sounds amazing, definitely more relaxing that trying to fix the tilting mechanism of a (fancy) Italian industrial drafting table.

Apr 17, 23 3:31 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: