Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Fall 2021 Application Status

KingGizzard

Hi all,

I'm opening a thread for all of us M.Arch applicants to share our application status and decisions: 

• Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
  • Letter of recommendations 
  • Personal Essay/Statement 
  • Portfolio
  • Schools 
  • Open house impressions 
  • Results 
  • Tips

Sep 21, 20 7:12 am
drizzy

BBA in Digital Media Management/ St. Edward's/ Aug 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.61 - not required - n/a

3 from previous professors

getting started

• Portfolio

not finished

• Schools

UT Austin, Northeastern, Cornell, Portland State, University of Washington

Oct 22, 20 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
lmaccora

Hi! I see that you have applied to UT Austin. I am currently in the M.Arch program there (graduating in May 2021) and would be happy to answer any of your questions about the program or give you insight into student life! Feel free to reach out if I can be of any help!

Jan 15, 21 5:32 pm  · 
1  · 
nalbers

Hi Imaccora! I'm not the original commenter, but I have been recently admitted and would love to ask a couple questions about UT Austin if that's alright. I'd just like to know a bit more about the pedagogy-- does the program emphasize any particular topics? Does it lean more towards theory or practical knowledge? Also, what is the studio culture like? Thanks so much!

Mar 10, 21 12:31 am  · 
2  · 
arch7393

So exciting!

Mar 29, 21 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Michealreynolds77

Hi There -- I'm admitted and considering UT would love to connect with you both.

Mar 23, 22 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
nalbers

I’m at UT now—feel free to contact me through the contact info in my portfolio at https://issuu.com/natealbers/docs/portfolio . Are you coming to the open house Friday?

Mar 24, 22 12:02 am  · 
 · 
sophiegfoehler
  • BA Interior Design / University of Chester/ 2019
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
  • 4.13/4.0 - no GRE -  no TOEFL
  • Director of my University and 3 Employers
  • Very varied of course due to the different questions.
  • Portfolio
  • Will post when finished 
  • Schools 
  • GSD, GSAPP, YALE, Cornell
  • Open house impressions 
  • Was not able to go sadly due to Covid. But I attended the online sessions.
  • Results 
  • Will post when I know
  • Tips
  • I am a new at this myself, so no tips so far
Dec 13, 20 10:38 am  · 
 · 
natematt

... how did you get a 4.13/4.00 in a college program? I've never heard of such a thing outside of high schools. Good Job, but I'm curious what's up with that.

Jan 15, 21 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
rainonme

Some schools have A+ above A

Feb 5, 21 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
sophiegfoehler

Yale: Accepted !! yay

Feb 27, 21 2:30 am  · 
3  · 
sophiegfoehler

and yes my school had an A+ system.

Feb 27, 21 2:30 am  · 
 · 
sophiegfoehler

Update: in at GSD and Cornell

Mar 1, 21 5:29 pm  · 
5  · 
jjnojam

congrats!!

Apr 1, 21 8:49 am  · 
1  · 
sophiegfoehler

Thank you!! Will be attending GSD.

Apr 8, 21 2:29 pm  · 
1  · 
abrahamalzoubi

Hey so did you apply to mArch II programs? And could you link your portfolio plz? Thanks!

May 26, 21 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
abrahamalzoubi

I’m also an interior design major so I’m rlly curious haha but happy for you getting into all of those schools!!!

May 26, 21 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
manalalg

Hello

Mar 10, 22 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
manalalg

Hello

Mar 10, 22 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
manalalg

I hope you’re doing great in your journey. please I would really really really appreciate it if you can share your portfolio، I have a bachelor degree in interior design too and this will help me tremendously. Hint I want to apply to gsapp too!
My email [email protected]

Mar 10, 22 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
manalalg

And if you don’t want to share I totally understand I know she’s nothing but the best

Mar 10, 22 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

BS Architecture (4-year) / Temple University / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.77 - not required - N/A

One Professor, Department Chair, and Principal at current job

Wrote about my personal and professional, and academic background, then about why I enjoy architecture and how each school would align with what I'm interested in. Submitted the same essay almost everywhere, just changed up the last paragraph to make it school-specific.

• Portfolio

I can post somewhere if anyone is interested, or can email. Included 4 projects from undergrad, redid a ton of work in the past couple months. Took me a really long time to figure out the best layout and best way to show my work, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. The biggest piece of advice I have is don't compare your portfolio to other people's online, I got really self-conscious of my work even though it's good, but looking at ones online can be really intimidating.

I did a couple of portfolio reviews with schools: 

Sci-Arc was an online submission, they just sent me back what was effectively a checklist and said that I had everything I needed.

SAIC was a zoom call with a professor, he was super nice and seemed excited about the program. He loved my portfolio and we talked for almost two hours.

Pratt messed it up and didn't reach out to me for four hours on the portfolio review day, so they had to re-schedule my meeting for the following week. Met with the department chair who was super nice, he really liked my work and gave me really meaningful criticism but sort of said the changes he's suggesting are optional. He followed up with an email extending a fee waiver and said he hoped to see me in the fall so, I'm feeling good about that.

• Schools 

Pratt, Columbia, Penn, Harvard, MIT, Sci-Arc, Berkeley, UCL (Bartlett), SAIC

• Open house impressions 

Attended most virtual open houses. Honestly, Harvard seemed really amazing when I listened to them talk, but then when I heard Penn say basically all the exact same things, it just made it seem like the Ivy Leagues are all a bit pretentious. I mean, they're still amazing schools and I still want to go there, but if I compare it to the Sci-Arc one, there was no sense of real purpose and excitement about architecture. I thought Sci-Arc's was phenomenal.

• Results 

I will update in a few months

• Tips

Get AS MUCH help as you can with every part of the application. I had multiple professors, friends, and grad school faculty look at my portfolio, and it was an insane amount of help. Multiple people helped me with my essays as well, which was also super helpful. Also, be on top of your recommendations because one of mine didn't submit until the day the Berkeley application was due, and only because I emailed her the day before to remind her!

Dec 21, 20 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
dsh_

Hey Daniel!

Dec 24, 20 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
dsh_

How long did it take for sci-arc to actually update on mysciarc that all the documents have been received and complete
the application? With me it’s literally taking months...

Dec 24, 20 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Hey! I still have a few documents that haven't updated for me, I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take. It still says that I'm missing a recommendation although it shows on slideroom that it's been submitted. I suppose we will need to contact them to make sure it all gets accounted for.

Dec 26, 20 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
dsh_

Yea I've been contacting them. I guess that's the way it is :) Good luck Daniel!

Dec 26, 20 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
t.s.

Hey Daniel! These are amazing insights. Good luck with the results! I would love to have a look at your portfolio!

Jan 6, 21 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

Hey t.s., glad I could help haha, and thank you! My portfolio is here: https://issuu.com/danltz/docs/single_page_portfolio

Jan 6, 21 4:59 pm  · 
1  · 
t.s.

Hey Daniel, Thanks for sharing your portfolio. The transition of your portfolio is so smooth; I can totally see your efforts with the post-production! Especially the prologue that combines it all into one. I also loved Stairwave, a great project! You indeed have a great chance with all the universities! Good luck!

Jan 7, 21 10:14 am  · 
 · 

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it.

Jan 7, 21 11:20 am  · 
 · 
miabarre_

Have you heard back from Bartlett?

Mar 17, 21 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

miabarre_ nope lmaoooo haven't even asked for my portfolio yet

Mar 18, 21 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
ujs01

Hey Daniel, fantastic portfolio. How were the results of your application?

Jul 12, 21 3:05 am  · 
 · 
FutureArch

B.S. Civil Engineering (w/ minor in Architecture) / Syracuse University / 2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
currently 3.56 - not required - n/a

2 Professors (one that teaches in both the College of Engineering and School of Architecture, other was an engineering professor), 1 past internship mentor (M.Arch graduate who is working towards license)

Varies but touched on my interest in combining architecture with structural engineering and how the collaboration with other disciplines enhances architecture. Also, talked about interest in doing research on coastal architecture and climate change.

• Portfolio

Very difficult to configure because of my lack of experience in architecture but I personally enjoy painting and sketching so I had a lot of personal projects to add. It was a combination of my past art experience and some work from my architecture studio I needed for my minor. Also, I included architectural photography I took when I was abroad in Florence.

• Schools 

MassArt, MIT, Northeastern, RISD, Harvard, Wentworth (really want to be in Boston)

• Open house impressions

I was able to go to an open house for all the schools and also attend the BSA Architecture Fair (Boston Society of Architects) which I really enjoyed. I was very impressed with MassArt after going to their open house. They put a large emphasis on hands-on design-build projects which I really like as an engineer. Also, I liked Wentworth a lot because of their technology focus and the fact that many of their students are engineers outside of the architecture program. Seems like a place I would fit into.

• Results 

Will update...

• Tips

As a non-architecture background applicant, I was nervous about the portfolio aspect but I realized that everyone applying to M.Arch I programs come from non-arch backgrounds so it wouldn’t be a major difference in my application as others. I say just put your best foot forward and focus on how your unique background will play into your time as an architect (if that is something you are looking to do). Also, if you do any kind of work outside of architecture like make clothes, take photos, make clay pots, etc. include that in your portfolio because that makes you unique. They want to see your ability to create rather than what you can throw together fast that is related to architecture. They understand that you don’t have the background to make a typical architecture portfolio but you need to show your artistic ability somehow.

Dec 24, 20 6:20 pm  · 
1  · 
FutureArch

In at RISD w/ scholarship!

Feb 21, 21 10:40 pm  · 
4  · 
snehalakshmi1

Congrats! :)

Feb 23, 21 9:44 am  · 
1  · 
snehalakshmi1

Did you get a call or an email?

Feb 23, 21 9:44 am  · 
1  · 
FutureArch

I got a call last week and they said they would send an email later this week.

Feb 23, 21 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
FutureArch

Update: In at Northeastern and MassArt (haven't received official letters yet but got emails from both)

Feb 26, 21 2:35 pm  · 
2  · 
FutureArch

Update: Out at Harvard (expected but still sad), still waiting anxiously for MIT!

Mar 1, 21 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
archi_gram

I heard this year is going to be the most competitive year in history because of all the deferrals. So Good luck to all! 

Dec 26, 20 9:54 pm  · 
1  ·  1
kidomega

^ Which makes it the most interesting year to apply. With the GRE out (like it has some significance) and some requirements that are lower in hierarchy and importance, applicants this year get to really show themselves raw. The challenges unveiled in 2020 have shaped this year's pool of applications that I imagine will be (more) fresh and different for the admissions committees than the previous years. There were more time and space to craft a portfolio and write a more provoking essay (this I believe will now be of equal significance/same weight as the portfolio). I imagine this year will probably produce the most interesting portfolios/application. Definitely good luck to all, and don't be intimidated by the overwhelmingness of it. 

Dec 27, 20 7:57 am  · 
3  · 
clevelandcynic

Hey guys! I went through this process last year and found this thread fun and helpful. I actually met some people irl from this thread at some open houses and am still in touch with them.

First, I want to say good luck! Don't stress out. Don't worry too much about what other people are doing. Just lean into whatever your niche is, present it well, and the right schools for you will be happy.

Second, I was an MIT Architecture undergrad and I'm now doing an M. Arch at UT, so please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about backstage things at either of those schools. I'm happy to help shed light on the good, the bad, and the ugly haha.

Dec 28, 20 9:58 pm  · 
9  · 
architecture?

Hey, sent you an email, thanks for commenting

Dec 30, 20 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
hellodaaz

B.S. Integrated Digital Media / NYU / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.2/4.0 and No GRE/TOEFL 

• Work Experience

I interned at Storefront for Art and Architecture for half a year before graduation, and have been working freelance graphic design projects and at a small creative agency since then.

Letter of recommendations 

2 professors (1 architecture/1 graphic design)
1 current employer (director at creative agency)

I felt it was important to cover how I became interested in architecture from virtually no background to now. I expressed that I was interested in several aspects of the field, including its cultural, theoretical, and historical things (i.e. publishing, exhibitions, etc.). I also discussed how I wanted to explore how new technologies can help tackle environmental and egalitarian issues via practice.

• Portfolio

2 architecture, one installation and one intro summer course project
3 graphic design, one website, one brand identity, one artbook
1 making/woodworking electric guitar project

• Schools 

GSAPP / GSD / Princeton / Yale / Rice / U of Washington / Woodbury

• Open house impressions 

I liked Woodbury and Princeton the most as of now, but Yale and University of Washington were also informative and down-to-earth. 

The students at GSAPP and GSD seem cool, but the info sessions weren't very helpful for information beyond what is already on the websites and other resources.

Rice is absent, but supposedly there is one for admitted students.

• Results 

Fingers crossed, happy to go to any of these schools, we'll see.

• Tips

I feel like this year has been weird, especially since the open houses have had to adapt to COVID. Seems for everyone that looking at the websites, at student work (perhaps better is work not featured on school websites), and attending the open houses/info sessions is the standard procedure.

But specifically as a non-arch background, I think that taking classes was the biggest help for me, as it helps immensely to have a better awareness of what the contemporary landscape is like, and also to meet professors who have a bit more expertise on the process of grad school architecture, admissions, etc.

Jan 3, 21 1:47 pm  · 
2  · 
hellodaaz

Out at PSoA, YSoA, GSD
Waitlisted at Rice
In at GSAPP, UW, no $

In at Woodbury with 50% tuition in scholarship/assistantships

Mar 22, 21 6:19 pm  · 
2  · 
hellodaaz

In at Rice, with 50%, but went to GSAPP

Apr 23, 21 8:16 pm  · 
2  · 
bullymaguire21

BS Landscape Architecture/Cornell University/2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.7/4.0 - 165V/164Q/5.0 -  no TOEFL

2 Studio Instructors and 1 Mentor/Employer

Focused on my research interests, my career aspirations and how I begun to pursue them through my undergraduate studies. Very straightforward.

• Portfolio

20-22 pages depending on the school. 1 collaborative research, 3 landscape studio projects and portrait drawings. Tried to illustrate technical proficiency in 3-D modeling and other software as well.

• Schools 

M.Arch I or M.Arch I/MLA II dual-degrees at MIT, Harvard GSD, Cornell, Yale, Columbia and UPenn

• Open house impressions 

MIT, GSD and Yale most aligns with my current research interests. Would also love to return to Cornell as an LA grad.

• Results 

TBA

• Tips

Get some sleep. Try not to let the pressure of isolation bog you down. It has been such a crazy time and everyone deserved a hug pat on the back!

Jan 4, 21 3:29 pm  · 
3  · 
bullymaguire21

GSD (M.Arch I): In $$$

Mar 1, 21 3:37 pm  · 
7  · 
bullymaguire21

Yale: Out

Mar 1, 21 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
tomatomatomato

Congrats on GSD :D

Mar 3, 21 12:41 am  · 
1  · 
bullymaguire21

thanks! such a pleasant surprise!

Mar 4, 21 1:21 pm  · 
1  · 
bullymaguire21

Penn: In (early notif idk why. no aid package yet)

Mar 6, 21 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
bullymaguire21

Edit > Penn: In (no aid)

Mar 11, 21 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
bullymaguire21

Cornell (M.Arch I): Out

Mar 11, 21 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
MiesvanderHo

-

Jan 5, 21 12:03 am  · 
1  ·  1
snehalakshmi1

Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

B.ARCH/ BSAU( INDIA) / 2018

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

7.59/ NA/ 107

• Dean of the Architecture Department
  • A professor from my Undergraduate program
  • UC Berkeley Summer School Instructor
  • Previous Employer

Personal Essay/Statement 

I spent a few months writing and rewriting my essay. Focused on my values and tied my experiences to those values. Honest and straightforward.

Portfolio

https://issuu.com/snehalakshmisubra/docs/portfolio

Schools 

UCB, UT AUSTIN, WASHU, UVIRGINIA, HARVARD, COLUMBIA, UMICH, PRATT, CORNELL, USC, RISD.

Results 

Will update.

Jan 14, 21 3:59 am  · 
 · 
lmaccora

Hi! I see that you have applied to UT Austin. I am currently in the M.Arch program there (graduating in May 2021) and would be happy to answer any of your questions about the program or give you insight into student life! Feel free to reach out if I can be of any help!

Jan 15, 21 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
bhumikayadav

Hey, I too applied to the Harvard Mdes program...All the best..Finger crossed

Jan 22, 21 1:58 am  · 
 · 
snehalakshmi1

Update- IN at RISD - M.Arch- II

Mar 1, 21 11:42 pm  · 
1  · 
t.s.

That is great! Congratulations !!

Mar 2, 21 11:40 am  · 
 · 
snehalakshmi1

Thank you!

Mar 2, 21 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
snehalakshmi1

Update - Umich - Waitlisted.

Mar 2, 21 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
snehalakshmi1

Update - Cornell MS AAD- Waitlist.

Mar 9, 21 10:14 am  · 
 · 
snehalakshmi1

Update - UIUC & USC - IN

Mar 13, 21 8:24 am  · 
2  · 
p3_g

Hey, what course have you applied to in Columbia?

Mar 22, 21 11:45 am  · 
 · 
KingGizzard

B.Arch (5 years) / American University of Sharjah (UAE) / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

3.60 / Waived / 106

• Chancellor of University
  • Head of Arch. Department
  • Former Dean of College of Arch.
  • Thesis advisor/former head of dept.

Focused mainly on the research I aim to pursue and was quite specific with the courses that interest me, which professors' agenda matches mine and the different ways i can contribute to the school. I folded all this into a larger story about myself and the places i grew up in and how they influenced my understanding of architecture and design. 

• Portfolio

Mix of projects ranging from architecture, urban design, installation, design build, professional work, research. I also tried to show a variety of strengths (conceptual thinking, model making, hand/drafted drawing, rendering, diagramming, etc...). I considered the portfolio as an extension to my personal statement and supported much of what was written in the essay. 

• Schools 

Harvard GSD (M.Arch 2/MAUD), MIT (SMArchS A+U), Yale SoA (M.Arch2), Columbia GSAPP (MS.AAD) 

• Open house impressions 

As an international applicant, i wasn't much impressed by a lot of open houses and information sessions. Most of them didn't provide any additional information other than what was mentioned on the website. Probably Yale's open house was the most impressive of all, well detailed and documented i believe. 

• Results 

Waiting results as of 01/16/2021

• Tips

Start early. can't emphasize this enough. I started back in March during the lockdown and was done by November, giving me enough time to revise everything multiple times. Of course, this is not a race of who finishes first, but it's best to give yourself time to write and rewrite your essay, get as much feedback as possible from friends and faculty, and revise. The same applies to the portfolio. Different programs have different requirements and the little things like page size and page number are crucial to nail in the very beginning so that you can solely focus on the content later on. With regards to the rec letters, I started sending requests by September, giving my recommenders about 3 months minimum to respond. 

Jan 15, 21 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
KingGizzard

Update - Admitted to Yale M.Arch 2, waiting for official admission letter
with financial package.

Feb 26, 21 10:10 pm  · 
4  · 
hbassal

What about GSD?

Mar 9, 21 2:08 am  · 
 · 
lmaccora

Hello, M.Arch Fall 2021 Applicants!

My name is Lisa and I am currently working for UTSOA's grad office as a student assistant. I would be more than happy to help or inform anyone who has questions about our M.Arch program or its application process! I have a BS.Arch from OSU and will be graduating with my M.Arch from UT Austin in May 2021! I also will be graduating with a certificate in Historic Preservation if anyone has questions about that as well. 

Best of luck to all applying for grad programs this year!

Jan 15, 21 5:31 pm  · 
1  · 
Luques

@lmaccora Hi Lisa, can you provide status of UTAustin decisions? I've seen some posted here & GradCafe but I have not heard anything. I applied for M.Arch - non arch background. Thanks!

Mar 7, 21 11:12 am  · 
 · 
dougy99

Hey so this is late but I thought I might as well post this here cause the these posts in the last few years were helpful

Economics and Computer Science / McGill University (Canada) / 2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.85/4.0 - didn't do - didn't do

2 from profs at my school; Economics and Architecture prof, two from past employers; President of a tech market research company and president of an interior design firm

I focused mine a lot on why I am where I am now, harping a fair bit on my brothers and mums battle with cancer over the course of my university education. I was originally going to do a Bachelors of Arch but after talking to some other architects they suggested I try a few other things first to then really confirm this path so here I am. I've had to pay for my own way through school so I've always had a job (which required design work) while working at school which I spoke about as well. 

• Portfolio

All my design work comes from work experience where I've designed advertisements and websites / draw in my free time so this is definitely lower quality than the rest. I don't have my portfolio on issuu but for reference here is one of the websites I developed and included in my portfolio: https://www.wyngit.com. I included some sculptures as well as I really wanted my portfolio to have a little bit of everything seeing as I'm coming from a relatively different background than most. A big fall back of mine is I laid out my portfolio in a very minimal way as though it was a pamphlet which lacks display of my process for each piece. 

• Schools 

M.Arch I:

Columbia, UC Berkeley, UBC (Canada), U of T (Canada) 

• Open house impressions 

Didn't go just read about them here lol.

• Results 

TBA

• Tips

As has been repeated so many times already, start early. I left my essays to a week before their due date each time. They were all due around the time of my final exams which made December a very stressful month. 

Jan 20, 21 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
sophiegfoehler

Hey your portfolio sounds similar to mine. Did you, by any chance, get the link wrong? I would love to see it. Best, Sophie

Jan 20, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
dougy99

Weird, it's working on my end. They're hiring right now so maybe with higher than usual volume it's loading quite slow? If it doesnt work googling "wyngit delivery" and clicking the first link should work (Wyngit Delivery Inc | Sameday delivery)

Jan 20, 21 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
dougy99

if you're talking about a link to my portfolio, I don't have a link to that.

Jan 20, 21 1:06 pm  · 
1  · 
dsh_

B.Sc Architecture (4 year) / Technion Israel Institute of Technology / Jul 2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.44 - n/a - n/a

3 professors and 1 former boss who is also a professor. I sent different combinations of the letters to different schools.

Varied a bit between programs

• Portfolio

I sort of took a risk here...

https://danashaviv.com/manifesto

• Schools 

AA- MFA Spatial performance and design

Bartlett- M.Arch Design for Performance and interaction

Sci-arc- MS Fiction and Entertainment

IAAC- Master in Advanced Architecture (MAA02)

Glasgow School of Art- MDes Design Innovation & Environmental Design

IOA- M.Arch studio Hani Rashid

• Open house impressions 

Unfortunately I couldn’t attend any due to Covid. 

• Results 

AA- Accepted 

Bartlett- Pending

Sci-arc- Pending

IAAC- Accepted

Glasgow School of Art- Pending

IOA- Pending

• Tips

As others have said- start early. Just the application process itself might take months…

Don’t hesitate to ask for help. Constantly show the work you are doing on your portfolio, your friends and mentors might help to revise it.

Have the audacity to know what you want, and show you have the tenacity to get it. Figure out what your value is and reflect that in your portfolio and letters.

It’s tempting to apply to as many schools as possible, at least for me. Just focus on programs most suitable for your passion in the field.  Don’t waste your time and money.

Good luck to us all!

Jan 20, 21 7:24 pm  · 
2  · 
kidomega

I really enjoyed your portfolio/website. The projects have an Es Devlin/Heatherwick vibe to it. The programs you chose fit you as well. Which school or program do you want to go to the most though?

Jan 20, 21 9:59 pm  · 
1  · 
dsh_

kidomega, glad you enjoyed it! Sci-arc is my first choice

Jan 21, 21 8:28 am  · 
 · 
bhumikayadav

hey.I too applied to Bartlett MA Architecture and Historic Urban Environments and still waiting for the result...when did u submit your application.

Jan 22, 21 2:02 am  · 
 · 
dsh_

I applied on Nov.30. They only asked that I submit my portfolio on Jan,6.

Jan 22, 21 2:11 am  · 
1  · 
dsh_

Update: for those wondering about competitiveness this year, got an email from the Glasgow School of Art that due to an "unprecedented number of applications", they will not record decisions by the deadline

Feb 2, 21 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
bhumikayadav

I too received a mail from UCL just now...They are saying sorry for the delay, we are receiving a lot of applications and it taking time to evaluate...so Be patient...I don't know what to take from it.

Feb 7, 21 3:36 am  · 
1  · 
dt_cs

Hello, I too applied for IAAC's MAA01 program. I had a video interview last week. How long will they take to announce the results about the admission.

Feb 18, 21 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
dsh_

Hello dt_cs! They say on their website within two weeks. I think after my interview they took exactly two weeks to return an answer. Good luck :)

Feb 18, 21 1:53 pm  · 
1  · 
dt_cs

Thank you dsh_

Feb 18, 21 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
bhumikayadav

Hey there, Did u hear back from UCL & as for the portfolio upload option is there a limit of pages in portfolio in UCL..And one more thong did u uploaded this link or pdf of your portfolio????

Mar 2, 21 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
dsh_

update: SCI-Arc - IN, Bartlett - IN, IOA - out, GSA - out

Mar 28, 21 2:11 am  · 
 · 

B.Arch (5 years) / American University of Sharjah, UAE (NAAB Accredited) / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

3.00 / Waived / 112

Three studio professors from uni.

I touched on my background, what sparked my interest in architecture, and how I moulded my observations into my academic projects in school. Additionally, I spoke about specific professional endeavors and research I was a part of that lead me to consider graduate school in pursuing my interests further. 
I tailored the essay according to each university. I looked into the programs I am applying to and the faculty I will be engaging with, and wrote about that as well. 

• Portfolio

8 Projects- 7 Academic and 1 Professional.
I made sure that the gist of my academic projects align with my personal statement. Portfolio link: https://issuu.com/pan5ury/docs...

• Schools 

MIT (SMArchS Architecture & Urbanism)
Harvard GSD (M.Arch 2/MAUD)
Cornell (MS.AAD)
Yale SoA (M.Arch2)
Columbia GSAPP (MS.AAD) 

• Open house impressions 

No comments.

• Results 

-

• Tips

-Make a schedule to dedicate ample of time for your portfolio and personal statement. For me, I spent a large chunk of my time on the former and while reworking a couple of my projects I was simultaneously formulating my essay. I wanted them to be in unison, and I altered some of the project descriptions to match my line of thought for the essay (post-rationalization helps sometimes). 
-Definitely send requests for the letter of recommendations MONTHS in advance.  
-Get acquainted with the quality and level of work you're expected to showcase in your portfolio through university websites/issuu.
-Make sure to get constant feedback on your portfolio and essay from multiple people. I sent my work to my colleagues and friends. I think it's important to get fresh perspectives, especially from people who aren't from this field. It will allow you to broaden your own understanding of what it is that you're writing/showcasing through your work and probably help you in articulating it better. 

Jan 21, 21 8:56 am  · 
2  · 
dt_cs

All the best :)

Feb 4, 21 4:13 am  · 
1  · 
vli29

any updates from Columbia MSAAD?

Mar 18, 21 12:52 am  · 
 · 
p3_g

Hey, I applied for MSAAD as well. Any updates from them? I’ve been waiting anxiously!

Mar 22, 21 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Whoknow
  • Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

BA in Architecture / UCB / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.15 - Waive - Waive 

4 Studio Profs 

Basically talked about architectural elements in the city where I grew up and how those inspired me. 

• Portfolio

https://issuu.com/vietnguyen7/...

• Schools 

UCB, Yale SOA, GSD, Upenn, GSAPP

• Open house impressions

I didnt go to any of them, I wish I could, it always conflicts with my work hours. Tho, I did join GSD InDesign Bootcamp, and the instructors shared their portfolios, and I think those are pretty beautiful portfolios.  

• Results 

Will See! Wish me luck I guess. :)

• Tips

General, I can’t stress it enough is to start early, if you couldn’t start the application physically, start it in your head, think about it, be obsessed with it, and treat it as a year-long design exercise where you have to craft your portfolio and writing. Make your personal statement and portfolio speak with each other cohesively. 

Portfolio: Most important material, it is a process of understanding yourself as a designer, and trust me, if you spend enough time working on your portfolio, you will realize why you design certain things and understand your logic behind the design. I looked back at my old sketchbook years ago, and I was trying to compare those final products with my early sketches, and I realized a lot of those sketches are basically my final idea with just more refined graphics. So sometimes, you got to have to look backward to move forward. Schools give you full of deadlines, parties, events, and sleepless night studies, and certainly, we just forgot about the most valuable elements hid behind the early pages of your sketchbook. So keep your sketchbooks, don’t throw them away. Include sketches in your portfolio, and not all but some that speak out the most. 

After you think you are at a stopping point with your portfolio, ask people to judge it, sure they will give plenty of comments base on their preference, all are valuable to look at the different set of eyes. You can treat it as Quality Control ( Spelling and Grammar mistakes, Color Balance, Layout ). I have asked many people on this forum to help me with that, and I felt grateful and thankful for all of those comments. The final portfolio is not perfect, still have some layout issues but I am quite happy with it for now. Just do the best you can.

Essay, not an expert in writing because English is my second language. But just think about it when you are free, layout your idea when you are free, I usually did it in the shower, so sometimes I take a 30-minute shower and wasted a lot of water. Definitely write a genuine one and don’t try to impress any school, I think they just want to see an applicant’s unique perspective toward architecture. Do some research on the school you apply, to have a general idea of the strengths and focuses of the program. I am still improving on my writing so...

Good Luck to everyone :)

Jan 21, 21 12:04 pm  · 
2  · 
dsh_

Wow what an impressive portfolio! You don’t need luck you’ll do fine :)

Jan 21, 21 12:18 pm  · 
2  · 
arturojamieson

you have a great portfolio! Are you applying to MArch or MArchII ?

Jan 22, 21 1:17 am  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

This is for M.Arch I. Thank you

Jan 22, 21 1:43 am  · 
 · 
dt_cs

I thought it was just me, who thinks about writing essay during shower. LOL. All the best :)

Feb 4, 21 4:15 am  · 
2  · 
snehalakshmi1

Hey! Great Portfolio! :)

Feb 17, 21 12:32 am  · 
 · 
snehalakshmi1

Have you heard back from UCB?

Feb 17, 21 12:32 am  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

I wish haha

Feb 18, 21 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
bittermurmur

Your portfolio is outstanding; good luck to you too!!!

Feb 19, 21 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Whoknow

Out all of the school I applied so far. Probably need to re-evaluate myself to approach differently next year.

Mar 2, 21 3:22 am  · 
 · 
bittermurmur

Good luck!! I really enjoyed your portfolio!

Mar 2, 21 7:13 am  · 
 · 
arturojamieson

-Edit-

Jan 22, 21 1:16 am  · 
 · 
cbkk

Realized I started this same thread a couple months ago in Academia not knowing it already existed here

B.S Architecture / Univ. of Cincinnati / 2018

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.5 / N/A 

Two from former professors, two from current supervisors (design principals)

Took a more personal approach in describing a unique upbringing and the ways in which that background has come to elucidate my current perception and future ambitions for architecture. More or less kept a consistent format for each and heavily modified one/multiple paragraphs toward each school

• Portfolio

DM if interested, have some confidential professional work so don't want to post online but happy to share privately

• Schools 

Harvard GSD, Yale, Columbia GSAPP, Cornell AAP, Penn, MIT, Rice, WUSTL, Michigan

• Open house impressions 

Attended virtually but wasn't really impressed by any of them. Placing more stock in current student/alum experience and past personal visits

• Results 

Anxiously awaiting

• Tips

Recommendations: Make sure to have a backup that you trust to pull through if/when someone else flakes. A former professor that agreed to write my third letter months ago went silent days before deadlines, so I decided on a second professional recommendation instead for some applications. Most schools prefer two academic references but in the end they want someone who knows you well and will give an honest opinion, especially if you've been out of school an extended period like I have. That being said, give them plenty of time – I sent requests in September and each of them submitted only a few days before the deadline. 

Portfolio: Definitely the most significant part of the application, so treat it as so. Make sure the information is clear, concise, and easy to follow. Let your main images pop (hero renderings, drawings, etc) but don't be afraid to show dirty process work as well. Schools want to know how you think critically and why you approached a problem in the way you did. Rendering and graphic skills are no doubt important but the focus should be on the overall story you're intending to tell. To this end, allow text to serve as a supplemental narrative to the imagery - outline a problem and how/why you chose to solve it, rather than simply verbally explaining what's being shown in the visuals.

Essays: Allow for more time than you think you will need for these. Treat the statement as a companion to your portfolio - a written account of who you are and what you have to offer to these schools. Use it as a chance to clearly explain how you've come to form the position you inevitably possess and wish to further develop with graduate study - and how/why each school will help you do so.

General: The best piece of advice I received before/during applying: treat the portfolio, essays, CV and letters as a single, cohesive package. Aim for each to complement and build off one another, but still maintain the ability to adequately portray your qualifications independently. And above all else, start early. 

Good luck!

Feb 4, 21 9:22 am  · 
1  · 
Arcmash

Will be curious to see your portfolio, you targeted all the Ivy league schools

Feb 5, 21 6:29 am  · 
 · 
cbkk

Update: In at WUSTL w/ fellowship (full-tuition/travel stipend) interview next week

Feb 18, 21 10:58 am  · 
4  · 
Arcmash

Congratulations, please will like to see your portfolio

Feb 18, 21 11:16 am  · 
 · 
t.s.

Congratulations Mate! Well deserved!

Feb 26, 21 7:36 am  · 
 · 
cbkk

Updates: In at GSD w/ $$$, In at Michigan w/ $, Out at Yale

Mar 1, 21 2:59 pm  · 
5  · 
Luques

Congrats @cbkk ! Does $$$ mean you received 75% grant of the tuition? Did you provide just your finanical info or that of your parents, too? I only provided my financial info and got 50% grant but certainly can't afford the other 50% for 3.5 years, especially if I want food & shelter lol! 

Mar 2, 21 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
cbkk

Thanks @Luques! Yeah, I was offered a 75% grant for yearly tuition. I didn't provide my parent's info and thought it was kind of odd that they're asking for it tbh.

Mar 2, 21 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
cbkk

Updates: in at Penn, in at Rice w/ full-tuition waiver, out at Cornell (last week)

Mar 9, 21 9:59 pm  · 
1  · 
y920

B.A. Art, History of Art and Architecture / UCSB '20

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

3.63 - Waived - Waived

all profs, 2 architectural history, 1 art.

Tailored to each school.

• Portfolio

All studio art projects. The two submitted to UCB and UCLA were kind of bad because I didn't realize at the time the importance of showing process (and really regret not including more process), the one submitted later to the other schools were way more detailed.

• Schools

UCB, UCLA, UOregon, UMichigan, GSAPP, Cornell.

• Open house impressions 

Unfortunately almost all of them conflicted with my schedule, went to UCLA and Columbia info session and watched recording of UMichigan portfolio review.

• Results

Waiting for everything besides UOregon.

• Tips

- Start your portfolio early and the statements afterwards, I tried to write SOP first but couldn't even articulate why I wanted a M.Arch, but everything became more clear after the portfolio is completed.

- Go to portfolio reviews, I was able to make revisions to my portfolio because of specific tips given in the portfolio session that aren't necessarily part of the "requirements."

Feb 9, 21 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Fishy

B.Arch / Cornell /  2021 

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

Horrible..... like not even 3.4

2 profs and 2 employers  (rip I was supposed to have 3 profs, 1 just straight up ghosted me)

I talked about making ceramics and first time working in an office. Tried to find one professor from each school to write about

• Portfolio

It was so stressful because class ended at Dec 24 and my first deadline was Jan 2..... So I made my entire portfolio in 5 days lol! I am so proud of myself.......

• Schools 

Yale, Cornell, MIT, GSD, UPenn, Columbia

• Open house impressions 

Did not have time for that, got most of my school info from their websites

• Results 

Fingers Crosses!... I know Cornell is probably a yes cuz I did my BArch here......But really hoping to live somewhere else. Not a winter person...

• Tips

START EARLY. I wasn't planning to apply to grad school in the states. But then COVID happened, so I am stuck here...I literally had less than 1 week for the portfolio and 1 day for each essay.....Also as a person who did 7 internships without any kind of portfolio, this grad school stuff, is so much more difficult than work!!! Putting your work together takes forever! please give yourself longer than a week.....

Feb 16, 21 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Fishy

Yale -In

Feb 26, 21 9:38 pm  · 
3  · 
draicamle

Hello, I'm recently accepted to Cornell MSAAD, would love to hear from the opinion of a recent grad!

Mar 18, 21 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
archinerdy

Just heard that UC Berkeley has started sending out some notices! My friend just got in...  He got some scholarship though so that might be why he was contacted early.  I'm still waiting to hear my own status, though not too optimistic.

Feb 16, 21 9:01 pm  · 
2  · 
rkwfcm

Did your friend apply for M.Arch or MAAD (post-professional)?

Feb 17, 21 12:03 am  · 
2  · 
saulsutcher

Phone call, email or snail-mail?

Feb 17, 21 10:52 am  · 
 · 
y920

they sent more by email today (posts on gradcafe)

Feb 18, 21 12:15 am  · 
 · 
bittermurmur

B.Arch / Local university in Taiwan / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

below 3 horrible... / 328 Awa 3 / 108

3 professors, 2 from design studios, and 1 from the philosophy department 

Mainly focused on my thoughts on architecture and how it connects to the program. Addressed some unique perspectives from my personal background.

• Portfolio

5 undergraduate studios projects

https://issuu.com/danielhwang/docs/daniel_hwang_portfolio_1231

• Schools 

GSD, Yale, MIT, Pratt, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame (All M.Arch)

• Open house impressions 

Didn't attend any.

• Results 

Admitted to VT with some conditions because of my horrible GPA.

Waiting for others

• Tips

Discuss your portfolio with your friends. I have reviewed my portfolio with 3 friends who know me for a long time. We do it page by page; it was a long process, so start your portfolio early.

Feb 16, 21 9:34 pm  · 
2  · 
Whoknow

I like your portfolio! gluck

Feb 16, 21 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
odhc86

Good luck!!!!! I am Taiwanese and also apply for grad school in the US!!!!!

Feb 18, 21 10:50 am  · 
 · 
bittermurmur

Thx, wonder what university you were from in Taiwan, I am from THU.

Feb 19, 21 10:16 pm  · 
1  · 
heidihng

I wonder what conditions, like certain GPA in the last year?

Feb 20, 21 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
odhc86

I am from PCCU. All the best!

Feb 22, 21 12:01 am  · 
 · 
bittermurmur

Got to get at least 3 for the first 12 credits.

Feb 22, 21 3:50 am  · 
 · 
bittermurmur

Update: rejected by Yale, via email today

Feb 26, 21 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
mahnoorfaheem

Have you gotten an official offer of admission from the grad school?

Mar 4, 21 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
bittermurmur

Yes, I got in Virginia Tech, they notify me through the application system.

Mar 5, 21 7:36 am  · 
1  · 
mahnoorfaheem

Awesome! I got mine yesterday as well. Do you know if they will let us know later about any financial aid/scholarship?

Mar 5, 21 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
bittermurmur

The letter I got has some links for financial aid/scholarship application, but no specific financial aid/scholarship was mentioned.

Mar 5, 21 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
bittermurmur

Update: in Pratt and GA Tech

Mar 19, 21 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
faddo001

This is a little late but did those who applied to Berkeley receive an email confirming that their application had been submitted? 

I never received a confirmation email, like I did from UCLA, and now I am panicking and thinking I might not have submitted it correctly. 

Feb 18, 21 11:37 am  · 
 · 
aloysius

i got a confirmation. subject line was "University of California, Berkeley: Application Submission," sender was "[email protected]", and first line of the email after salutation was "Thank you for submitting an application to the Architecture MArch program at the University of California, Berkeley"--hope that helps look for the email in case it got lost somewhere in your inbox.

Feb 18, 21 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
aloysius

i got a confirmation. subject line was "University of California, Berkeley: Application Submission," sender was "[email protected]", and first line of the email after salutation was "Thank you for submitting an application to the Architecture MArch program at the University of California, Berkeley"--hope that helps look for the email in case it got lost somewhere in your inbox.

Feb 18, 21 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
aloysius

the status of the app on the gradapp.berkeley.edu portal also says 'submitted' and the date when i submitted

Feb 18, 21 12:18 pm  · 
1  · 
faddo001

Thank you, I found the email and the portal also says submitted! Phew haha. Probably won't get in anyways.

Feb 18, 21 12:35 pm  · 
1  · 
Whoknow

I had a bit of trouble paying for the application fee on the date that I submitted it, so I pull out all of my debit cards available to pay like crazy right before the deadline. Don't be discourage!!

Feb 18, 21 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
aloysius

that's a relief!!! fingers crossed & best of luck!

Feb 18, 21 1:01 pm  · 
1  · 
faddo001

_edit_

Feb 18, 21 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
dt_cs

B.Arch / TCE (India) / 2018

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL

7.15 - Waived - 95

2 Profs, 2 employers.

Tailored to each school with a bit of my background. The overall focus on what I think about Architecture, what it lacks, and how the course answers my thoughts

• Portfolio

I wanted my portfolio to reflect my personal statement. Two parts, the first set of projects are design explorations using various tools, workshops. The second part has my academic and professional works.

• Schools

Upenn(MSD RAS) , Sci - Arc (M.ARCH 2) , AADRL , IAAC (MAA01), ICD (I.Tech), GSD (M.Des), POLIMI

• Open house impressions 

Didnt attend any of them.

• Results

Waiting.

• Tips

Treat the personal statement and your portfolio coherently. 

Feb 18, 21 2:38 pm  · 
3  · 
dt_cs

IAAC - in

Mar 2, 21 12:46 pm  · 
2  · 
dt_cs

GSD - Out

Mar 2, 21 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
dt_cs

Upenn - IN

Mar 11, 21 12:25 pm  · 
1  · 
dt_cs

SCI-Arc - IN

Mar 20, 21 6:08 am  · 
 · 
dt_cs

AA - IN

Mar 20, 21 6:08 am  · 
 · 
dt_cs

I.Tech - Out

Apr 17, 21 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
dt_cs

KADK - IN

Apr 17, 21 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
fncr

B.S in Arch / 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3,67 -         - 105

Not required

Focused on my interest in technology and robotics. How I learned about this research area and why I am interested.

• Portfolio

10 pages, 2 personal projects exploring computational tools and Arduino, 1 competition project with a responsive façade designed by me

• Schools 

University of Stuttgart (ITECH)

• Open house impressions 

I think there wasn't one.

• Results 

Excitedly waiting...

• Tips

Don't apply for only one school :) It is a little bit stressful.

Feb 20, 21 5:02 am  · 
 · 
dsh_

Good luck to you! IAAC also sounds like it may be down your alley and it's not too late to apply so that might ease the stress :)

Feb 20, 21 5:13 am  · 
1  · 
fncr

Thanks! It would be a great plan b. I will probably just wait until I see the results of ITECH application since I feel like it is the right program and it is relatively affordable. :)

Feb 20, 21 5:43 am  · 
1  · 
jerryrodriguez

Reposting on this thread:

BA - English & Creative Writing / UT Austin / 2020

• 3.71 / N/A
  •  

2 former professors and 1 current employer

Talked about personal experiences in relation to my love and understanding for design and the human experience. 

• Portfolio

https://issuu.com/jerry.rdz.so...

(Heads up, I designed it so that each page was viewed individually, and not as spreads, but ISSUU modified it to fit its own format...)

• Schools

• MIT, Yale, Columbia, and Cornell
    • Open house impressions

• Only attended Yale's virtual open house. pretty informative, to be honest. It was my first time ever attending one.
    • Results 

Hoping for acceptance, prepared for rejection, though quite honestly not sure what to expect... :)

• Tips

Portfolio: 
    This advice is probably more suitable for people with non-arch backgrounds like myself, since that's really the only approach I'm familiar with and have experienced...

Take a few months to produce original work intended solely for the purpose of the portfolio. You can also recycle previous work, of course, but show intentionality about everything. Every work in your portfolio should contribute something towards a GREATER picture. That "greater picture," or the overarching idea, should mirror your essay. Furthermore, I believe your portfolio work is an opportunity not just to reflect what you've stated in the essay, but also to expand on the themes and ideas. Plus, it's also an opportunity to make an experience out of the overall portfolio itself. Think about the mood and tone and colors and arrangements of the portfolio. Say every art/design work is an instrument, and the portfolio itself is a composition...

essay tips: 
    Be unafraid to answer with originality and personal experience, but be sure to stay right on topic and in direct response to the prompt. 

Be concise. 

I'd say start developing ideas early on, like 5 months early, and pretty much just write your ideas, and write, and keep writing. It's a wonderful experience to realize, eventually, that you'll have plenty of personal content to work with. Then, maybe 2-3 months prior to the deadline, start organizing your ideas and structuring your essay. 

Definitely have someone proofread your work and provide feedback. This applies to the artwork you'll be creating for your portfolio as well. Talk about your ideas with people. Talk to people who know you well and ask them why they think you'd be a good match for the arch programs... you'll be surprised what they have to say, I'm sure. 

I might regret providing "tips" if I don't get accepted, lol. Oh well. :) 

Also, last thing, Feedback is definitely appreciated. I'm curious to see what people think of my work, stats, and chances. 

Much love! 

Feb 20, 21 4:06 pm  · 
     · 
    _gk_

BS Arch / 2020 / 3.87 GPA

•  2 former studio professors and my previous on-campus advisor

In my personal essay, I expressed my formative life experiences that led to my desire to dedicate my life to creating accessible and equitable built spaces. I discussed my future trajectory in wanting to work at the intersection of architecture, policy, and education.

• Portfolio

Simple and clean layout consisting of 4-5 studio projects depending upon the page limit per school. I am working a demanding social justice/service-oriented job in education for a gap year so I used a previous portfolio format. 

• Schools

MIT, Yale, Harvard, RISD, Tulane

• Open house impressions
  • I primarily have been connecting with current and previous students at the schools I applied to from my undergraduate institution. I've also gained input from professors who taught or attending these schools!

• Results 

Accepted: Tulane (Accepted to the dual M.Arch and Masters in Sustainable Real Estate Development program with Advanced Standing for M.Arch. Merit award of $37,000 a year)

Waiting: MIT, Yale, Harvard, RISD

• Tips

Be your authentic self and focus on the best self. Make it undeniably obvious why you are pursuing an M.Arch and showcase what you will bring to that institution. I wouldn't consider my portfolio particularly strong, but I reveal my core values through my work.

I have worked in multiple research positions, community engagement positions, and had an architecture internship during my undergrad. I worked to showcase these experiences in my essay and comprehensively included related experiences/transferable skills on my resume. 

• Seeking!

I would love tips for if/when the time comes to negotiate merit and financial aid. I would also love to learn how those are inquiring about assistantships/research positions!

Feb 20, 21 10:34 pm  · 
    4  · 
    natematt

Congrats, good luck on the others! 

As a mater of curiosity, what's the tuition per year at Tulane? 

Feb 21, 21 7:10 pm  · 
    1  · 
    _gk_

Thanks so much! Yeah, M.Arch grad tuition is $58,950 a year so similar to many other private schools. 

The acceptance letter stated that "Upon enrollment, all graduate students are eligible to apply for additional aid in the form of graduate research fellowships, teaching assistantships, and travel fellowships." So there is potential for additional funding. I'm also waiting on FAFSA.

Feb 21, 21 7:25 pm  · 
     · 
    _gk_

Update: Accepted at RISD with merit award (received phone call from RISD professor; waiting to receive the official letter)

Feb 22, 21 7:15 pm  · 
    7  · 
    umarell

saw on gradcafe someone has been accepted by MIT MArch program; has anyone heard from the department yet?

Feb 21, 21 11:44 am  · 
    3  · 
    dd_x

Repost on this thread

BS Architecture

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.5 / waived / n/a

Two professors/ former employers and a mentor. All principals at their firms and some attended some of the schools I applied to.

All essays were quite personal, it varied based on prompts and word-counts but basically talked about the questions that led me to architecture, the way I design, and what I aspire to do while in grad school.  

• Portfolio

4 of my undergrad projects and four short personal/professional projects

• Schools 

MIT, GSD, Cornell, Princeton, GSAPP, Yale

• Open house impressions 

I did attend most if not all info sessions, open houses, and lectures from each school, in some cases even reaching out to professors that research and work align with mine. 

• Results 

MIT Accepted $$$ 

Awaiting for the rest

• Tips

Start early and take it slow, I started working on my application during the summer and still submitted most applications a couple of minutes before the deadline. This will mainly give you plenty of time, not saying it is supposed to consume your week, but it will help adjust your essay/portfolio and get feedback from peers or professors. I went back and forth between the portfolio and essay, as I felt it should communicate the same idea. Also, don’t feel like you need to add every project you have ever done to your portfolio; I only added projects that felt represented me the most, how I think and what I believe is important. Still, I don’t know if that will help me get in; take it with a grain of salt and just be true to yourself.

Feb 21, 21 7:55 pm  · 
    12  · 
    _gk_

Congratulations on MIT!

Feb 21, 21 9:15 pm  · 
    1  · 
    tomatomatomato

Congratulations!!! :D

Feb 22, 21 4:02 pm  · 
    1  · 
    tomatomatomato

I'd love to know how you heard the result from MIT!! The MIT website says that decisions cannot be given by telephone, but it seems like some people heard back via phone so I was curious.

Feb 22, 21 4:04 pm  · 
    1  · 
    dd_x

I got a phone call, and it was followed by an acceptance email. I was also surprised when I got the call; as you mentioned, the website says decisions are not given by phone, but my understanding is that some people get a phone call.

Feb 22, 21 4:43 pm  · 
    1  · 
    tomatomatomato

Hmm I see. Thank you for letting me know! Anyways, I'm happy for your result and wish me luck as well ~ :)

Feb 22, 21 4:47 pm  · 
     · 
    dd_x

For sure! Hopefully you hear back soon!

Feb 22, 21 4:56 pm  · 
    1  · 
    lmnoc1

Congrats! Did you apply for MArch or MArch II?

Feb 22, 21 8:38 pm  · 
     · 
    dd_x

M.Arch I

Feb 23, 21 9:05 am  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

dd_x
    I also got a phone call from MIT today. I'm glad that we are on the same boat! However, I'm worried if this was dream or not since I did not get any email and also the status website has not changed. Did you get any email?

Feb 23, 21 1:41 pm  · 
    1  · 
    IambicPentameter

Almost immediately after the phone call I got an email with everything that was said in the call - good thing too because after the "we are giving you an offer of admission" my mind went blank and nothing registered XD. Maybe you'll get an email soon as well?

Feb 23, 21 4:32 pm  · 
    1  · 
    dd_x

XD totally, it was a blur! I hope you get the email soon, and congrats to both of you! so exciting

Feb 23, 21 9:15 pm  · 
    1  · 
    Arcmash

Pleae
    were you accepted by MIT to the M.Arch i or M.Arch ii?

Feb 24, 21 4:11 am  · 
     · 
    dd_x

I got accepted to the M.Arch professional program 3.5 years, which in other institutions would be considered an M.Arch I.

Feb 24, 21 8:37 am  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

IambicPentameter, dd_x

I became so anxious because I still haven't received any email :( Did the status on the website change for your account?

Feb 25, 21 9:53 am  · 
     · 
    IambicPentameter

@tomatomatomato The application portal shows me that my application is still under review. What were you told during the phone call? Perhaps the professor that was contacting you wasn't sending emails?

Feb 25, 21 10:08 am  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

@lambicPentameter That is good to know. Mine also says it is under review. During my phone call, I was told that I was accepted with no less than 75% of scholarship. Also the faculty mentioned the spring open house. Other than that, I honestly don't remember since my mind was blown out. Thank you for your comment :)

Feb 25, 21 10:22 am  · 
     · 
    IambicPentameter

@tomatomatomato That's exactly what I was told, as well as that an admission package would be sent in the next few weeks. So I'm guessing we should just w ait until then for more information! :)

Feb 25, 21 10:25 am  · 
    2  · 
    tomatomatomato

@lambicPentameter Thank you!!

Feb 25, 21 10:38 am  · 
     · 
    dd_x

@tomatomatomato, hopefully, you already got the email. Still, you are in, so don't stress! Also, congrats on your call from the GSD, so exciting!

Feb 26, 21 10:58 am  · 
    1  · 
    itriedmybest

congratulations !! are people getting calls from GSD ?

Feb 26, 21 11:28 am  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

@dd_x Ohhh thank you!!!!!!! I never expected these results because I'm completely from non-arch or non-art background and I had no idea which school I'd be able to get in. I still have not got the email from MIT though... I appreciate your comment!!

Feb 26, 21 12:31 pm  · 
    1  · 
    dd_x

Update : In at M.Arch 1 Yale + Cornell, Out at GSD

Mar 1, 21 5:09 pm  · 
    1  · 
    IambicPentameter

Hey dd_x, do you happen to know when the official offer for MIT is going to be released? I'm not sure if it already has and maybe I'm the only one waiting now. XD

Mar 5, 21 12:48 pm  · 
     · 
    dd_x

@IambicPentameter, I haven't got an official letter from MIT, it was mentioned, I would be sent a package in the next weeks with more info, but haven't receive it yet.

Mar 5, 21 1:32 pm  · 
     · 
    dd_x

In at GSAPP M.Arch, waitlisted at Princeton

Mar 17, 21 5:09 pm  · 
     · 
    dd_x

Feb 22, 21 4:55 pm  · 
     · 
    vanessagiraldo

Late to the game but I've been following this forum and wanted to share my experience as well!

BA in Architectural Studies and Art/Connecticut College/2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.86/waived/n/a

Three professors –all of which were also former employers.

Spoke about my undergraduate experience as a QPOC, my academic/research experience, future career goals (specifically about my interest in the intersection of art/architecture and social justice and sustainability in the built environment) and formative experiences that led me to this path 

• Portfolio

Simple layout, included a variety of works... 2 Architecture projects/1 Urban Design project/Several multi-media Studios Art projects

• Schools 

Applied for M Arch 1

UC Berkeley/Rice/MIT/Columbia GSAPP/Princeton/Harvard GSD/Yale/SCI-Arc

• Open house impressions 

Did not attend any due to conflicted schedule but I studied at Columbia GSAPP NY/Paris for a year and spoke to people who studied or are currently at Berkeley, Harvard GSD, Yale, Rice, and Columbia as well as watched the open house videos on youtube. 

• Results 

Accepted: UC Berkeley 

Waiting: all the rest 

• Tips

Start your portfolio early! I did all of the main editing of my content early in the summer and the layout took several iterations. For my essays I found that once you have a solid personal statement the rest of the applications can be easily adapted for each university. 

Feb 22, 21 5:36 pm  · 
    5  · 
    tomatomatomato

Congrats :D

Feb 22, 21 9:23 pm  · 
    1  · 
    michael88

anyone else got a mail from penn about decisions being given on the 11th of March? 

Feb 23, 21 10:54 am  · 
    5  · 
    Dokuser

yes
    Feb 23, 21 11:04 am  · 
     · 
    dt_cs

yep

Feb 23, 21 11:37 am  · 
     · 
    w0104

anybody knows what it means? Is it just a plain notice or implying something?

Feb 23, 21 4:20 pm  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

I think that is a plain notification .

Feb 23, 21 4:31 pm  · 
    1  · 
    w0104

Thx a lot!

Feb 23, 21 4:36 pm  · 
    1  · 
    pomegranate_purgatory
      Hon. BA Art History and Urban Studies, University of Toronto, 2018
    • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
      3.86/4.0 

All academic, 2 from undergrad and 1 from an architecture studio program I attended after graduating

I mostly discussed my interest in architectural preservation, sustainability, and urban design, and how my educational background fits with architecture.

• Portfolio

I included 5 projects total, and tried to showcase a range of mediums (many rough process drawings, writing, photography, and making things out of household materials), varying scales (handheld to neighborhood), and durations (weeks to a day). Looking back, I can see that most of my projects have a historical and urban design/planning focus, so curating a theme that relates to your interests and statement may be helpful. It was my first time ever working with InDesign, so I kept it super simple and worked with spreads. 2 of my references were the professors for my projects.

• Schools

Carleton, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, Calgary (all M.Arch 1, 3-year programs)

• Open house impressions 

Calgary had a super informative Zoom open house and gave specific portfolio tips - there was the option to schedule a critique before the application deadline.

UBC gave a lot of portfolio specifics (like ideas for fonts, sizes)  and had two current M.Arch students overview their experiences and work. Really great!

UofT had multiple Zoom open houses (per program and also for portfolio) - their curriculum overview and research studios were the most interesting to me.

Did not see that Carleton had an open house, or else I would have attended - I know the least about Carleton’s program. If anyone has any experience with Carleton to share I would appreciate it!

• Results 

Awaiting as of 2/23

• Tips

I spent the most time editing, editing, editing my Statement and Portfolio blurbs/captions. Tie together your Statement and Portfolio if you can - what themes are similar between the two? Reference a project or two in your Statement. If I had more time and extra wordspace I would have discussed more specific thesis research interests or longterm goals - finding the balance between past, present, and future-oriented can be tough. Always question your portfolio layout - look at each page separately AND together. 

Excited and nervous for results!

Feb 23, 21 11:07 am  · 
     · 
    h3llo

Also applied to UofT, UBC and Carleton! I'm thinking results should be out this week... excited to hear back!

Mar 7, 21 12:16 am  · 
     · 
    pomegranate_purgatory

Accepted to Carleton on 3/12 with funding over 3 years!!

Mar 13, 21 12:21 am  · 
     · 
    pomegranate_purgatory

Rejected from UofT on 3/15. Bummed but not devastated!

Mar 15, 21 12:03 pm  · 
     · 
    KingGizzard

To those who have received calls from MIT, congratz! Do you know if that's only for the 3 year M.Arch or have they started calling SMArchS Admits as well ? 

Feb 24, 21 12:07 am  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

As long as I know, only M.Arch applicants got notified .

Feb 24, 21 2:06 am  · 
    2  · 
    itriedmybest

does that mean that people who didn't receive a call are automatically rejected ?

Feb 25, 21 2:38 am  · 
    1  · 
    Jajaje

I hope not...:(

Feb 25, 21 3:03 am  · 
    2  · 
    Perli

Anyone heard from U.Oregon or Virginia Tech regarding merit scholarships/ packages?

Feb 24, 21 9:51 am  · 
     · 
    t.s.

No buddy! Didn't even hear about the application decision yet.

Feb 26, 21 7:32 am  · 
     · 
    SAKD

Has anyone heard back from MIT for M.Arch II?

Also, does anyone know when GSD decisions for Masters will come out?

Feb 25, 21 4:30 pm  · 
     · 

Pretty sure the first of the GSD decisions came out on March 1st last year

Feb 25, 21 4:44 pm  · 
    1  · 
    RichardV

got a call from gsd today (M.Arch I). official decisions will be sent to everyone on monday.

Feb 25, 21 7:42 pm  · 
     · 
    faddo001

The suspense is killing me D:

Feb 25, 21 10:33 pm  · 
    1  · 
    itriedmybest

same

Feb 25, 21 10:51 pm  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

I don’t think MIT has M.Arch2...? Correct me if I was wrong. Also I received a call from GSD saying that the official letter will come out next Monday.

Feb 26, 21 12:11 am  · 
     · 
    Whoknow

Is the GSD already sending out decisions?

Feb 26, 21 12:22 am  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

Only for people with $$$ I guess?

Feb 26, 21 12:47 am  · 
    2  · 
    dt_cs

hey guys. Is the results coming out on March 1,2021 or March 8,2021 ? Will every applicant get a call from GSD?

Feb 26, 21 2:23 am  · 
     · 
    SAKD

Everyone that has received a phone call from the GSD been with $$$?

Feb 26, 21 9:43 am  · 
     · 
    gi21oxx

@tomatomatomato

When did you get a call from gsd? Also, are you in MArch 1or MArch 2 ?

Feb 26, 21 10:19 am  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

Y esterday. I am in MArch 1 :)

Feb 26, 21 10:29 am  · 
    2  · 
    koratheexplorer

@tomatomatomato congrats! Did the number that called you happen to be an "Unknown Caller" or "No Caller ID"? Just being paranoid that I missed the call but I know it's doubtful haha...

Feb 26, 21 3:51 pm  · 
     · 
    gi21oxx

same here. I also missed a few calls from 617 number...

Feb 26, 21 6:51 pm  · 
     · 
    tomatomatomato

Hmm that's possible but not 100% sure... :(  I am not even sure if one person is calling to everyone or several professors are calling, which is also highly possible.

Feb 26, 21 10:03 pm  · 
    1  ·  1
    Arcmash

@tomatomatomato please I'll like to connect with you, please can you reach out to me on [email protected]

Feb 27, 21 2:32 am  · 
     · 
    xinmeng

Bachelor of Architecture (second degree BA in English)/ Tsinghua University/ 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.77/4.0 ranking 10% - waived - 111

2 from studio professors, 1 from a philosophy course professor (I did a liberal arts program also), 1 from Internship supervisor (the head of the office declined to write)

I mainly write about my interest in reinterpreting cultural identities and how working experience makes me realize the importance of looking beyond architecture and collaborate with other disciplines. For GSD I made an emphasis on my personality and my values, for others, just tried to be clear, concise and professional without too many emotions. 

• Portfolio

3-4 undergraduate studio works, 1 competition work, 1 professional work. 

• Schools 

Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tsukamoto Lab)

UCL Bartlett Part 2

AA Dip

GSD March 2

YALE March 2

MIT March

• Open house impressions 

I didn't attend any.

• Results 

Interviewed by TIT (5-minute talk, tba on Mar. 1) and Bartlett (30-minute talk with CJ Lim, quite smoothly but he said the competition is extremely fierce; tba in two weeks).

Awaiting... 

• Tips

Because of the pandemic, I applied to programs in several different countries. And since TIT gave me very positive feedback early December, I was quite at ease throughout the following months... otherwise, I would have been anxious to death. So I suggest people apply for at least one less competitive school (or some less well-known to your school fellows, which makes your background relatively unique to them). This allows you to concentrate on other highly competitive ones.

Besides, I did first round of application to Yale and Bartlett last year without success. But the experience was important in getting me familiar with the procedure. And gap year is just fantastic and worth all the while.

Feb 25, 21 10:04 pm  · 
    1  · 
    bhumikayadav

Did you hear back from UCL?

Mar 2, 21 12:08 pm  · 
     · 
    wilhelm

Art History/BYU/Apr 2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.42 overall, 3.98 departmental /waived/NA

• Letters of recommendation 

4 professors (3 art history, 1 teaches art history courses but is a trained architect and was an architecture professor in Greece).

First I wrote a 1,800-word personal history/statement of purpose. I talked about my life experiences and how they have brought me to this point. Then talked about my undergraduate studies and how they have prepared me for graduate school. The last segment was on my ideas on architecture, guiding principles, future of architecture, etc. I then modified this longer essay based on what each school was looking for.

• Portfolio

10 projects (sketches and models) I made between May and December last year. They were mainly structures to show my aptitude for 3D thinking. Included couple of other paintings and drawings also.

• Schools 

Berkeley, MIT, GSD, GSAPP, Yale, Princeton, RISD, IIT, UW, CCNY, CCA, Pratt, University of Utah, Boston Architectural College (Berkeley, Harvard, MIT, and GSAPP are top choices, rest of the schools are divided into two tiers: alternates and backups. I wanted to make sure I would get in somewhere).

• Open house impressions 

Didn't attend any.

• Results 

In: Berkeley, RISD

Waitlist: Utah

Had a zoom interview with CCA but haven't heard anything else. Waiting on the others.

• Tips

I echo what others have said. Start early, give yourself enough time to develop and mature your ideas (both portfolio and essays).

Feb 25, 21 10:40 pm  · 
    1  · 
    snehalakshmi1

congrats! how did you 

hear about RISD? Was it a call or an email?

Feb 27, 21 8:20 am  · 
     · 
    wilhelm

Thanks! I got a call on Wednesday (24th) evening. I was told I had been admitted and that the school would start sending out more information next week.

Feb 27, 21 1:07 pm  · 
     · 
    wilhelm

Update: In at GSD, rejected by Yale.

Mar 1, 21 7:22 pm  · 
    1  · 
    Apples_are_the_best_fruit

Have you heard anything yet from CCNY? and congrats on all the other admits!

Mar 9, 21 3:06 pm  · 
     · 
    wilhelm

Thanks! Yes, I heard back on March 3rd. In: CCNY, IIT, CCA, BAC, Pratt, UW. Rejected: Princeton. Waiting: GSAPP, MIT (most likely a rejection).

Mar 9, 21 3:16 pm  · 
     · 
    Apples_are_the_best_fruit

Did you receive an email from them or did you just find an update on the portal? Good luck with the rest!! hopefully more decisions will come out this week

Mar 10, 21 2:12 am  · 
     · 
    wilhelm

They sent me an email that there was an update in the portal. Thanks, good luck to you as well!

Mar 10, 21 10:22 am  · 
     · 
    Emma3

Hello,

Hope you're doing well. Did anyone receive any news about Harvard GSD admissions ?

And what about the MUP program ? Anyone ?

Thanks and good luck everyone

Feb 26, 21 1:55 pm  · 
     · 
    sophiegfoehler

Has anyone really heard from gsd M.Arch I? There are no reactions on grad Cafe.

Feb 26, 21 2:15 pm  · 
     · 
    sophiegfoehler

Yes but where have you heard that they have sent out desitions? I am asking so curious because I have applied.

Feb 26, 21 2:30 pm  · 
     · 
    sophiegfoehler

Sorry we are talking past each other. I am not questioning the process itself. I am wondering if anyone has had answers or calls this year, this application cycle from the GSD M. Arch I program.

Feb 26, 21 2:37 pm  · 
     · 
    sophiegfoehler

Ah now I saw the comments above about the calls. Sorry for the confusion.

Feb 26, 21 2:47 pm  · 
     · 
    RichardV

yale updates on the portal

Feb 26, 21 11:04 pm  · 
    1  · 
    12345L

Got into Yale M Arch I! Anyone else? Also are we allowed to apply for financial aid after we got admitted?

Feb 27, 21 4:01 pm  · 
    4  · 
    aloysius

The acceptance letter made it sound like we still could, I would apply now even if there’s a small chance

Feb 28, 21 1:10 am  · 
    1  · 
    sophiegfoehler

I also got accepted at Yale for the M.Arch I. And yes it sounded like it.

Feb 28, 21 7:11 am  · 
    2  · 
    faddo001

Anyone know when UCLA sends out decisions? 

Feb 27, 21 5:34 pm  · 
    2  · 
    itiswhatitis

last year it was on March 10

Mar 2, 21 11:13 am  · 
    2  · 
    umarell

BS MACS (Math with Computer Science)/ Purdue/ 2020 Fall

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.91 when submitted but then dropped to 3.59 in the last semester/ waived/ waived

Three professors; one in theatre, one in poetry, they both have taught me for a year long; the other was from the physics lab I worked in for a year.

I really tried to start early and have had a few outlines weeks before the deadlines, but all seemed quite weightless. With all-nighters I managed to finish all essays at the very end (eg. like 15 mins before the deadlines), though rough and probably not the most decent ones, I think they could well reflect who I am as a being. My friend said I should be bringing up more personal experiences rather than references.

• Portfolio

Tried to work on more archiecture projects but eventually gave up... I would love to hear any feedbacks! https://issuu.com/lingxueheliu...

• Open house impressions 

N/A

• Results 

Yale rej, still waiting for the rest

• Tips

I honestly don't have any graceful tips here. I'm proud of all who has pull through the process and cheers to those who have found the right way to go which may not be grad school applications. This was to me a game of self-resilience and finding oneself. I think I eventually had the courage to post my stuff because this portfolio, which I had no idea what's it gonna look like eventually, has gradually molded into the shape of mine. 

At this point I'm just anxiously waiting for the trial, and I'd say this to myself: whatever happens, the most important is to keep stay self-confident through the process. Best of luck all!

Feb 27, 21 11:58 pm  · 
     · 
    lmnoc1

Hey also CS major here but with Math minor and just got rejected by Yale... high five

Feb 28, 21 3:03 pm  · 
    1  · 
    umarell

good luck on the rest !!

Feb 28, 21 9:38 pm  · 
     · 
    12345L

Was also wondering if anyone knows when MArch I for MIT/Columbia/Princeton might come out?

Feb 28, 21 1:34 am  · 
     · 
    RichardV

Probably this week or next week. I'd go to grad cafe to compare dates.

Feb 28, 21 2:40 am  · 
     · 
    dt_cs

Hello guys, 

Anyone here applied for M.DES program in GSD got the results ?

Feb 28, 21 5:17 am  · 
     · 
    bhumikayadav

Not yet...

Mar 1, 21 1:04 pm  · 
     · 
    bhumikayadav

What domain did u apply for...

Mar 1, 21 1:05 pm  · 
     · 
    dt_cs

Medium. And you?

Mar 1, 21 1:23 pm  · 
     · 
    bhumikayadav

ecology

Mar 1, 21 1:35 pm  · 
     · 
    bhumikayadav

i m damn nervous..all the best to u

Mar 1, 21 1:35 pm  · 
     · 
    dt_cs

Yep. All the best.

Mar 1, 21 1:42 pm  · 
     · 
    kx.rbz

For those admitted to Yale, who is indicated in your acceptance/rejection letter? Trying to find out if it is a different faculty for M.Arch I vs M.Arch II. Please indicate whether you were accepted or rejected. Congrats to all in this application process.

Feb 28, 21 9:32 am  · 
    1  · 
    MiesvanderHo

You applied to M.Arch I and II?

Feb 28, 21 9:39 am  · 
     · 
    KingGizzard

I got Sunil Bald. (accepted into M.Arch II)

Feb 28, 21 9:57 am  · 
    1  · 
    MiesvanderHo

I got Deborah Berke (accepted into M.Arch I)

Feb 28, 21 10:36 am  · 
    1  · 
    KingGizzard

Received the letter from Deborah as well but the professor who’d contact me is Sunil Bald

Feb 28, 21 10:42 am  · 
    1  · 
    dd_x

M.Arch I - Accepted, I got a letter from Deborah and the professor who will be in contact is Sunil Bald.

Feb 28, 21 11:08 am  · 
    1  · 
    MiesvanderHo

Ok, same. Guess there was no difference for M.Arch Is or IIs. Congrats all! Has anyone been contacted by Sunil Bald yet?

Feb 28, 21 12:34 pm  · 
    1  · 
    12345L

I got the online letter from Deborah Berke (Accepted M Arch I). Did you guys receive any physical letters/packages for your acceptance btw?

Feb 28, 21 1:44 pm  · 
    2  · 
    12345L

Just wanted to know if I should be expecting something in the mail...

Feb 28, 21 1:44 pm  · 
     · 
    nastronaut

Yeah, I also got into the M.Arch 1, and I think the acceptance letter wasn't program-specific. And I couldn't imagine something coming in the mail with COVID and everything. Congrats to everyone!

Feb 28, 21 4:04 pm  · 
    1  · 
    kx.rbz

thank you all. this is helpful. M.Arch II rejection letter from Sunil Bald.

Feb 28, 21 9:20 pm  · 
     · 
    MTTS

Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

B.S. Arch/GA Tech/19

GPA - GRE - TOEFL

3.55 - waived - NA

3 studio professors

Personal Essay/Statement 

Based on growing up in a third world country and the desire to contribute to bettering the education and built environment there. 

Portfolio

5 Studio projects. 3 very detailed, 2 focusing on some aspects. 

Schools 

GSD, MIT, GSAPP, YALE, PRINCETON, CORNELL, RICE 

Open house impressions 

Attended most of them, however I did not feel like I got much more information than I could find through the websites, but still worth going. 

Results 

Feb 26th in at Yale, financial aid TBD 

Waiting on the rest. 

Tips

Start the essays 2 months earlier then you think you need to start, editing process took me 2 months. 

Mar 1, 21 1:38 am  · 
    1  · 
    MTTS

Okay, In at Cornell with $$

Mar 1, 21 4:25 pm  · 
    2  · 
    MTTS

Out at GSD

Mar 2, 21 10:02 am  · 
     · 
    MTTS

Out at Princeton. so that's 2 in 2 out so far. waiting for 3 more.

Mar 5, 21 1:26 pm  · 
     · 
    MTTS

In at Rice with full tuition

Mar 9, 21 7:54 pm  · 
    2  · 
    MTTS

So here is the final school roundup.

Rice - $$$$ + Stipend 

Yale - $$$

Cornell - $$

Columbia - Nothing

Apr 6, 21 1:38 pm  · 
    1  · 
    Archithoughts2

Congrats MTTS! Curious as to where you are leaning

Apr 7, 21 4:26 pm  · 
     · 
    MTTS

Sorry for the super late response, but I ended up going with Yale.

Apr 22, 21 4:46 pm  · 
    1  · 
    SAKD

Does anyone know if the GSD will be sending out decisions today?

Mar 1, 21 8:47 am  · 
    2  · 
    sophiegfoehler

so seems the rumor.... according to the people who are receiving scholarships. See comments above

Mar 1, 21 9:07 am  · 
    2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: