jaredo

Gsapp acceptances out check portal

Mar 17, 21 5:05 pm  · 
4  · 
_N8_

No change in my portal. Guess that's a reject. Oh well

Mar 17, 21 5:12 pm  · 
MTTS

it does not mean rejection yet, these things can come out over the course of several hours and at times days. Give it time

Mar 17, 21 5:16 pm  · 
6  · 
rkwfcm

which program?

Mar 17, 21 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
MCook23

M.Arch I or II?  Did you get an email?

Mar 17, 21 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
bc97

For M.Arch I only ? Thanks

Mar 17, 21 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
RichardV

Yeah got an email about a portal update

Mar 17, 21 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
jaredo

M.arch I, yup!

Mar 17, 21 5:21 pm  · 
1  · 
jaredo

no email yet

Mar 17, 21 5:25 pm  · 
3  · 
mahermoghrabi

Any idea for MSUP ?

Mar 17, 21 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
909uoel

I got accepted in GSAPP as well.

Mar 17, 21 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
909uoel

Are we able to still apply for financial aid after acceptance?

Mar 17, 21 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
archsurvivor101

what time did you receive your offer?

Mar 17, 21 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
jaredo

4:40

Mar 17, 21 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
909uoel

same around that time - I got the email at 4:59

Mar 17, 21 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
koratheexplorer

I know what MTTS said can be true, but I guess at this point if I didn't get an email or portal update it's most likely bad news, right? I know I'm being impatient...just bummed and want some closure :(

Mar 17, 21 6:05 pm  · 
6  · 
Staceysmom

No change to my portal either.. we'll wait and see I guess

Mar 17, 21 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
koratheexplorer

has anyone been waitlisted for the M.Arch yet..? Is there still a chance for that?

Mar 17, 21 10:26 pm  · 
1  · 
Spritzerrrr

Omg finally ! Congrats to everyone. I still haven’t received anything, so it’s probably a rejection ?

Mar 17, 21 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
archithoughts

anyone got AP? Still no results on portal yet, just hoping they are deciding on AP that's taking them so long

Mar 17, 21 10:55 pm  · 
1  · 
catnip_

No update or email either :(

Mar 18, 21 12:12 am  · 
 · 
RichardV

@909ueol I would try to. I received my aid offer with the email though

Mar 18, 21 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Interloper25

Still haven't heard from GSAPP. :(

Mar 23, 21 12:35 am  · 
1  · 
p3_g

Do they give our all the acceptances on the same day? I am still waiting for my MSAAD update.

Mar 24, 21 12:23 am  · 
 · 
p3_g

Do they give out*

Mar 24, 21 12:23 am  · 
 · 
tomatomatomato

Finally, all my results came out. Though I was too shy to post this (and still I'm hesitating but....uh!!), I hope this becomes an encouragement for people from non-architecture background. 

• Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

BA. Interdisciplinary / 2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.8 - n/a -n/a

• Letter of recommendations 

1 prof. who is my academic advisor
1 prof. from summer architecture course
1 prof. from study abroad

• Personal Essay/Statement 

Be honest and be yourself. Show specific interests if you have one. 

• Portfolio

Architecture summer school is very helpful for the preparation of your portfolio. Make the portfolio that is consistent with your SoP. 

• Schools 

GSD (M.Arch 1)
MIT (M.Arch)
GSAPP (M.Arch 1)
UPenn (M.Arch 1)
Cornell (M.Arch)
U-Michigan (M.Arch 3-year)
SCI-ARC (M.Arch 1)

• Open house impressions 

All online

GSD: wow so many people... (almost 800?)!!! I was intimidated by the faculty and students. Everyone was very proud of being a part of GSD.

MIT: Frank and friendly. Weird and cool works!! They were also proud of being students at MIT SA+P but different vibe from GSD.

GSAPP: overslept

UPenn: Digitally-oriented cool projects and curriculum

Cornell: not being able to attend due to my class schedule 

U-Michigan: Very cool and modest faculty. "There must be a reason why so many architects/people are attracted to Taubman School of Architecture despite the fact that it locates at Michigan, not NY, Boston, or California." Well said!

SCI-ARC: Super open-minded and friendly. Works are really wild here! 

• Results 

GSD (M.Arch 1) in w/ $$$$
MIT (M.Arch) in w/ $$$ 
GSAPP (M.Arch 1) in w/ $$
UPenn (M.Arch 1) in w/ $$
Cornell (M.Arch) waitlisted 
U-Michigan (M.Arch 3-year) in w/o $
SCI-ARC (M.Arch 1) in w/ $$

• Tips

Start early and be strategic about how you show yourself (including your work). Think very hard how you are different from any others. Express the difference through works in portfolio and essay. Ask as many people as possible to read your essay and see your portfolio. If the advice differs from person to person (which is most likely to happen) or differs from your preference, trust your gut!!! 

I will answer any questions if you make a comment here (unless answers to the questions do not make me identifiable ... lol). 

Mar 17, 21 5:55 pm  · 
12  · 
909uoel

Congratulations on your acceptances! Which program are you leaning more towards? Is it GSD?

Mar 17, 21 5:58 pm  · 
1  · 
tomatomatomato

This is very tough decision for me. I'm thinking between GSD and MIT. Though I was really intrigued by the research and vibe at MIT, GSD is attractive in very different way. (Also, $ matters... )

Mar 17, 21 6:25 pm  · 
3  · 
archsurvivor101

Congrats!! That's insane, please leave some schools for us peasants haha. It would be great to see your portfolio, if you would be willing to share!!

Mar 17, 21 6:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Arcmash

Congratulations tomatomatomato, you must be a brilliant applicants, this is my second year trying to get into any of those schools but still wasn't successful, please would you mind sharing your portfolio and perhaps you could guide me as I'm planning to try again next year.

Mar 17, 21 6:40 pm  · 
1  · 
dd_x

Congrats @tomatomatomato !!!

Mar 17, 21 6:48 pm  · 
1  · 
cynthiakuo

Congratulations tomatomatomato!!! Where did you attend for the summer architecture course? Would love to see your portfolio too if you don't mind. :)

Mar 17, 21 8:52 pm  · 
1  · 
catnip_

Amazing! Congratulations!! :)

Mar 18, 21 12:14 am  · 
1  · 
tomatomatomato

@m.s.a & Arcmash & Cynthiacuo First of all, thank you so much for congratulating me. Since I'm afraid of being exposed to public (lol) and also I do not know how to share my portfolio, I will try to explain with words as much as possible. I put 1 work from summer architectural program (which is at the Cooper Union), 1 work from studying abroad, and 3 personal works. I believe that my strength was my personal projects, that somehow combine my interests / hobby with architecture. In my personal works, I put two physics/programming-related works and one project related to my hobby of paper-folding and cutting. The design of the portfolio is extremely simple. I wrote as few explanation as possible to highlight my work itself. (Also I heard that many admission committee don't really read explanations.) Also creating enough black space is definitely a key! I would also recommend portfolio sessions hosted by multiple schools. There, current M.Arch students presented their work, and they were really inspiring. I hope this information helps!!!

Mar 18, 21 12:14 pm  · 
3  · 
tomatomatomato

@dd_x & catnip_ Thank you!!!!!

Mar 18, 21 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
chen233

Congrats @tomatomatomato!!!! Your results are amazing!

Mar 18, 21 5:14 pm  · 
1  · 
lrlyqbd

hi, congratulations on your offers! Would you mind sharing your portfolio to me as a reference? As i am am applying this year and have no clue what level of work i need to generate. Thank you so much in advance and i really appreciate your help!!!

Sep 14, 21 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Jajaje

anyone got accepted at Columbia GSAPP MSAAD program?

Mar 17, 21 6:55 pm  · 
4  · 
vli29

no updates yet. any idea when they will send out the admits for MSAAD?

Mar 18, 21 12:27 am  · 
 · 
nilenvarade

Did you get accepted? I'm still waiting to hear back from them!

Mar 18, 21 8:29 am  · 
 · 
MCook23

I haven't heard yet either. :( Hoping to find out something soon.

Mar 18, 21 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
p3_g

Applied to the same. Haven’t heard from them yet. Waiting anxiously. Please do post updates!

Mar 22, 21 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
MCook23

I received my acceptance letter this afternoon.

Mar 22, 21 6:03 pm  · 
1  · 
p3_g

Hey congrats! Hopefully I get it today too:)

Mar 22, 21 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
p3_g

Just curious did you get a mail or check your
portal ?

Mar 22, 21 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
p3_g

Do they give out all the acceptances on the same day?

Mar 24, 21 12:24 am  · 
 · 
p3_g

Hey guys will they be giving out acceptances for MSAAD still ?

Mar 25, 21 8:13 am  · 
 · 
bp0425

hey! anyone willing to join the reoccurring discussion of YSOA vs GSD please share your thoughts here https://archinect.com/forum/th...

Mar 17, 21 7:45 pm  · 
4  · 
miabarre_

Has anyone heard from any U.K. schools? I am waiting on UCL Bartlett (received a request for portfolio last week) and AA.

Mar 17, 21 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
vli29

Waiting for a reply from AA!

Mar 18, 21 12:26 am  · 
1  · 
mahermoghrabi

Yes i have received an offer from Bartlett 2 fays ago for the M.Arch Architectural Design Program. (I applied on 17 Nov)

Mar 18, 21 3:48 am  · 
 · 
DustFlâneur

How long after the interview did they give you an offer? I have my interview in a few days...

Mar 18, 21 5:56 am  · 
1  · 
mahermoghrabi

I didn't do an interview ... I Applied a few hours later I got a request to submit a portfolio submitted it on the spot and my application stayed "under assessment" till about 16 March the whole day. I logged back in at 12am London Time and found an offer to the program :).

Mar 18, 21 6:05 am  · 
1  · 
mahermoghrabi

Goodluck on your interview !! :)

Mar 18, 21 6:05 am  · 
 · 
niveditaramachandran

Hey! Received offer from AA for AADRL program by Feb 15, did anyone else get?!

Mar 26, 21 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
IambicPentameter

Bachelor of Science in Architecture / 2021

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.7 - NA - NA

Asked some past and present professors/research supervisors/associate chairs of the department. 

I wrote a version and added/edited it with each submission, so it was an ever-evolving letter. Discussed interests in fabrication/computation, past background, and what I hope to research throughout my graduate studies.

• Portfolio

Very squished, fit 10 projects in the longest ones, less for some of the shorter portfolios, and I did my best to submit as spreads rather than pages where possible. Most projects came from extra curricular/competitions/research/professional experience but a couple school projects as well. I chose to include this many projects as I am very involved in many different things and wanted this to come through.

• Schools 
    • Cornell
    • MIT
    • Michigan DMT
    • Michigan MArch (2 year)
    • Sci Arc
    • UPenn
  • Open house impressions 

They all made the schools sound super interesting! Can't say I had a favorite/least favorite because I think they were all done very well. I think the way that MIT and Michigan had some student sessions was very helpful as well got to ask some questions and had a more candid conversation. 

• Results 
    • MIT - $$$ + stipend
    • UPenn - AP + $$
    • Cornell - AP + $ + TA position
    • Michigan DMT - $$ + fellowship
    • Sci Arc - $$
    • Michigan MArch (2 year) - no funding
  • Tips

As everyone has been saying, starting early really helps, especially if you have an architecture background. I found that aiming to diversify your projects is very important, and so looking at your body of work and seeing what kinds of projects that you could use to represent yourself you might need to add. If you do this earlier on you have time to add/improve projects before submitting. Also, unless the project was very recent and tailored to your portfolio make so to go back and rework the graphics/imagery and even sometimes the designs of old projects. although something might have been done in first year, the admissions committee will be weighing it against others' more recent work. 

Although looking through past Issuu portfolios I felt very few had this, I feel like it's very useful to do projects outside of school - competitions especially but also extra-curricular endeavors - as they allow you to explore and demonstrate your interests and abilities more uniquely. It also shows to schools that you are exhibiting initiative and actively seeking opportunities to grow, and not just doing bare minimum at school. In my view, schools are really looking for students that will help make their school better, so if your portfolio/CV/statements are able to articulate this I think it helps.

In addition, I think its really crucial to actually apply to schools based on your research interests, as opposed to prestige (this has been drilled into me by some of my mentors, so it may be debatable). Although being at a school that has a name might empress employers at first glance, its really about what you do AT the school that will set you apart. I fervently believe in this. So if someone in the future is applying, don't pick all the top schools to apply to just because they are the 'top schools', select based on your genuine interests!

I also felt like throughout this process I really grew to appreciate professionalism from schools. There were some (not going to name names) that changed their application requirements right before the deadline (adding a reference, which is hard to pull together in a week so I ended up not applying), and others that would not reply to emails/go through with their appointments. I feel like this really made me realize that although some of these schools have the brand names, their approach to the treatment students and applicants varies. I was more drawn to schools that were very warm and welcoming! Be conscious of this, select an environment you WANT to be in.

Thanks for reading! :) 

Mar 17, 21 9:04 pm  · 
7  · 
lrlyqbd

hi, congratulations on your offers! Would you mind sharing your portfolio to me as a reference? As i am am applying this year and have no clue what level of work i need to generate. Thank you so much in advance and i really appreciate your help!!!

Sep 14, 21 7:44 am  · 
 · 
gowen1208

Can anyone shed any light as to why these programs don't bother to update your status on the portal? It's bad enough to be rejected, but it seems kinda cruel for them to just keep the status as "submitted".

Mar 17, 21 9:49 pm  · 
10  · 
emselyyy

very cruel...

Mar 17, 21 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
catnip_

Has anyone been waitlisted for M.Arch GSAPP yet?

Mar 18, 21 12:16 am  · 
1  · 
kfg1990

Has anyone heard back from UT Austin for the M.Arch I (3 year) program?

Mar 18, 21 12:21 am  · 
2  · 
Luques

Yes (MArch first professiona) and many MArch acceptances/rejections have been posted on GradCafe

Mar 18, 21 7:12 am  · 
1  · 
Spritzerrrr

Since GSAPP acceptances for M-arch I have gone out, if I haven’t receive anything, does that mean  that I’ve been rejected ?

Mar 18, 21 1:33 am  · 
 · 
MiesvanderHo

Only 5 acceptances on Gradcafe. I believe GSAPP MArch 1 enrolls about 70 students..? MIT, Yale, GSD all admit fewer students and seemed to have way more results posted on Gradcafe on admission day. Considering the results started to roll out at different times in the last half hour before 5pm (end of workday), I’d assume they’re not done sending out acceptances and will resume tomorrow. Could be wrong tho!

Mar 18, 21 1:47 am  · 
2  · 
Spritzerrrr

Is grad cafe accurate ?

Mar 18, 21 2:53 am  · 
 · 
MiesvanderHo

Applicants choose to post their results there, so no, not super accurate (I’d guess probably about 20% of accepted students will post their results there?). But I think the proportion of applicants who post their acceptances on grad cafe wouldn’t differ much across different schools, so I think it could be quite accurate in that respect, trying to determine whether all of the results are out or not.

Mar 18, 21 3:09 am  · 
2  · 
MTTS

I was also looking through the proportion of acceptances, even for those who post on the same day they receive it, and it is low, so I think there will be more. GSAPP has released results over multiple days almost every year according to Grad Cafe, so there is still hope.

Mar 18, 21 6:56 am  · 
4  · 
Spritzerrrr

@MTTS any research updates on GSAPP ?

Mar 19, 21 1:45 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

Unfortunately according to previous Columbia patterns what this means is that they will likely just have the wait-list and rejection letters left to send. However it's also normal enough for them to send a couple of acceptances as well so nothing is solid yet. Also if you are wait-listed, you will have a better chance of being accepted than any of the other top programs. However that is just from their usual patterns I don't want to give you too much hope.

Mar 20, 21 7:43 pm  · 
2  · 
Spritzerrrr

Someone just got accepted today ! Columbia still out there playing with our minds :(

Mar 24, 21 10:56 am  · 
 · 
d.kk

Is anyone still waiting on USC? I feel like such a long wait is a rejection

Mar 18, 21 2:27 am  · 
 · 
tofu911

did anyone get funding at Columbia without filling out the scholarship application/what was the application like?

Mar 18, 21 11:51 am  · 
1  · 
archithoughts

I applied last year and got a scholarship, I filled out the application though. It's submitted together with the general application form. There is a section where you can tick if you want to apply for scholarship, and then they will ask you some basic questions

Mar 18, 21 11:56 am  · 
 · 
tomatomatomato

I got funding w/o filling out the scholarship form because I was in rush and did not have time to fill them out (it was due the same time as other application materials). I remember they asked details about your income last year, property, debt, etc.

Mar 21, 21 11:26 pm  · 
1  · 
Luques

it's very clear and straightforward on GSAPP website " In order to be considered for a GSAPP scholarship, please complete the scholarship application in the online application." "All applicants are required to complete a scholarship application that is included with the application for admission. The scholarship application must be submitted at the same time as the application for admission. The deadline is the same as the admissions deadline."

Mar 22, 21 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Luques

@

Mar 22, 21 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
cc20

Is anyone still waiting for MArch 1 UCLA and GSAPP??

Mar 18, 21 12:35 pm  · 
1  · 
archsurvivor101

waiting for GSAPP still, heard from UCLA about 2 weeks ago

Mar 18, 21 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
cc20

Were you accepted at UCLA?

Mar 18, 21 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
L.Stone

Still waiting to hear from UCLA. It seems to me there will be another waive of notices once people start accepting or declining offers.

Mar 18, 21 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
archsurvivor101

Yes I was accepted with scholarship!

Mar 19, 21 1:03 am  · 
1  · 
909uoel

What are people's thought about penn vs. GSAPP m arch programs?

Mar 18, 21 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
modeofbeing

very grateful to be accepted to GSAPP w/ a scholarship. An absolute dream come true

Mar 18, 21 2:09 pm  · 
15  · 
bc97

any news for GSAPP MSAAD?

Mar 18, 21 2:15 pm  · 
3  · 
p3_g

Nope not yet

Mar 22, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
koratheexplorer

acceptances out now according to grad cafe

Mar 22, 21 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Ks753

Hi everyone, I am currently in my sophomore year of undergrad at Ohio State in the Architecture program. I know I am very early but I really hope to get into Columbia once I start my grad applications as it is my dream school. I would love if anyone could give tips to getting in and what they look for in the portfolio, personal essay, along with if they prefer a specific type of person who writes your recommendation letters or even things not to do. How can I stand out most and be a successful applicant (for any school)? Anything helps I just want to start on things such as my portfolio and personal essay early!  Thanks so much:)

Mar 18, 21 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
dt_cs

Most of us here provided tips on how and when they started working on portfolio, recos, essays and application process. Would recommend you to go through this thread reading all those tips. Might help you with what you look for.

Mar 18, 21 6:31 pm  · 
3  · 
BuSe7en

BS in architecture/ University of Minnesota/ 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.1- 150,161,3.5- Waive

Three studio instructors. No special.

I basically talked about my whole life from now. Why architecture and what is my goal.

• Portfolio

Three studio projects + two self-art installations.

• Schools 

Columbia, Upenn, USC, Syracuse, Umich, Wustl, UMN

• Open house impressions 

NA

• Results 

UMN- In

WUSTL- In/w $$$

Upenn- Out

USC- In/ w $

Syracuse- In

Umich- WL

Columbia- Awaiting

• Tips

I would say start earlier than what you planned. 

question: WUSTL vs USC?

Mar 18, 21 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
d.kk

When did you hear back from USC?

Mar 18, 21 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
BuSe7en

About Mar 18th at noon.

Mar 18, 21 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ohlordy

Have you decided? I’m currently looking into WUSTL(3year) and Syracuse(2year) and I’m unsure still.

Apr 8, 21 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Yyjh

What are your opinions on M.arch 1   MIT vs GSAPP ?

Mar 18, 21 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Archithoughts2

Depends on your interests and a whole batch of other considerations (MIT has the smaller class, less conventional routes taken by graduates, research heavy)...but most likely MIT is giving you much more funding, right? In that case, would probably choose MIT. Can't go wrong though, since they are both very strong in their own respect

Mar 18, 21 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

Any more GSAPP M-Arch acceptances today?

Mar 18, 21 10:34 pm  · 
2  · 
catnip_

Curious as well, no updates on gradcafe

Mar 18, 21 10:52 pm  · 
1  · 
sophiegfoehler

No nothing. Still waiting.

Mar 19, 21 6:33 am  · 
1  · 
Spritzerrrr

this feels like a rejection ?? A lot of acceptances seem to have gone out...

Mar 19, 21 7:46 am  · 
2  · 
sophiegfoehler

yes it does..... :(

Mar 19, 21 8:22 am  · 
2  · 
mahermoghrabi

to my knowledge I think they send them in batches so probably u need to wait for an official statement rather than making an assumption! Don't lose hope. :)

Mar 19, 21 11:33 am  · 
2  · 
Interloper25

Yeah, it really does feel like this is going to be a rejection. :(

Mar 19, 21 11:15 pm  · 
2  · 
Interloper25

Any updates ?

Mar 23, 21 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

Nothing yet. They don’t even have the courtesy to send us our rejections quickly, so we can get on with our lives

Mar 23, 21 12:47 am  · 
1  · 
Edna Blimey

Hello. I got accepted to UofT with scholarship that covers 70% of the tuition for first year but I want to negotiate more money because of my financial situation. Do you think it’s a good idea to do that? Has anyone done that with uoft before? 

Mar 19, 21 12:22 pm  · 
1  · 
archithoughts

Do you have offers or scholarships from other universities? A lot of people use that for negotiation. Worse case is that you won't get anymore scholarship, they wouldn't take it away just because ask for more.

Mar 19, 21 12:56 pm  · 
1  · 
Edna Blimey

Thanks! I have another offer with scholarship that covers 25% of the tuition, renewable every year
. It doesn’t seem to be strong enough for negotiation though. No matter what I’ll try to negotiate for more.

Mar 19, 21 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
archithoughts

If the 70% scholarship that you are getting is not renewable, I think you can negotiate for a renewable one.
And if you are accepted into a "better" university you might also tell that you are still deciding between the two, that might help too haha.

Mar 22, 21 6:07 am  · 
1  · 
catnip_

Do you think it's a bit much to email Columbia to figure out what's going on or for any updates?

Mar 19, 21 4:28 pm  · 
9  · 
dsh_

perfectly acceptable to ask for an update

Mar 19, 21 5:07 pm  · 
7  · 
Interloper25

I am considering asking as well.

Mar 19, 21 11:14 pm  · 
3  · 
Spritzerrrr

keep us updated !!

Mar 20, 21 4:00 am  · 
2  · 
mahermoghrabi

any updates ?

Mar 20, 21 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
catnip_

None yet unfortunately :/

Mar 20, 21 5:55 pm  · 
1  · 
Interloper25

No updates on my end. I've lost all hope at this point.

Mar 21, 21 5:40 am  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

me tooo. I think its only downhill from here

Mar 21, 21 5:48 am  · 
 · 
koratheexplorer

did anyone end up emailing gsapp and hear anything back?

Mar 25, 21 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
catnip_

Nope -_- Complete silence on my end

Mar 25, 21 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
tt27
Should one prefer Carnegie Mellons M.arch over USC’s? Keeping in mind how expensive USC is?
Mar 19, 21 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
hbassal
What has been your experiences with deferring or declining to reapply the following year? Is declining and reapplying viewed negatively by schools? And for deferring, what schools offer those? And for what programs? The matter is so vague and not mentioned openly on official websites..
Mar 20, 21 5:46 am  · 
 · 
archithoughts

I got an M.Arch 1 offer with AP and scholarship from GSAPP last year, declined and reapplied, still no news until now... so I guess it's viewed negatively..

Mar 22, 21 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
hbassal
    • BSc. in Architectural Engineering/ International applicant/ 2012
  • Schools (applying for the post-professional program unless otherwise stated)
    • SCI_ARC
    • Cornell
    • GSD (MArch I) ((Second time applying))
    • AA
    • RICE
    • UCLA (MArch I)
    • UCL
    • YALE
    • Columbia (MArch I)
  • Results 
    • IN: SCI_ARC, Cornell $, AA
    • OUT: GSD 
    • Waitlist: RICE, UCLA
    • YET TO HEAR BACK FROM: UCL, YALE, Columbia.

A question, has anyone ever gotten accepted into GSD after not making it previously?

Mar 20, 21 9:02 am  · 
 · 
otterworldly

Hi, is your BSc a pre-professional degree or a professional one? I have a 4-year pre-prof BArch and thinking to apply for post-professional programs in the US for next year (GSD MDes and MIT SMArchS to be exact) but not sure whether they would even consider my application.

Mar 20, 21 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
hbassal

I’d try to directly ask the schools directly, however you might not have the best of luck communicating with the GSD, they are not very helpful, they probably won’t reply or give you the most generic pre-recorded answers.

Mar 22, 21 2:54 am  · 
1  · 
DVL1809

Has anyone gotten a formal acceptance letter from UCLA for MS AUD, or any news about financial aid?  I was informed via call about my admission, and then they sent out a weird email a few weeks ago saying they were “recommending” me to the graduate admissions department for consideration, but no news after that. Any insights? 

Mar 20, 21 1:01 pm  · 
1  · 
nbm_2

I received the departmental letter a few weeks ago too. Had a second interview with the Urban strategy prof yesterday and he said it may take 1-2 more weeks for the official letter to be sent out

Mar 20, 21 2:25 pm  · 
1  · 
nilenvarade

I am exactly in the same stage where they mentioned that the official acceptance will be sent by the graduate admissions department. Haven't heard back from them after that. Being an international applicant, this is stressful because the program starts in the summer!

Mar 21, 21 6:53 am  · 
1  · 
DVL1809

Exactly! I hope we’re still in the running for financial aid though, because
I know some of M. Arch 1 people who heard about it weeks ago!

Mar 21, 21 8:32 am  · 
 · 
jake11

BS Arch / University of Michigan (Taubman) / 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.65 - waive - waive

Two studio professors (one GSD grad), one supervisor at current architecture firm.

Individual for each school, but primarily about specific interests within architecture. 

• Portfolio

Four studio projects, one daylighting project for another class.

• Schools (M.Arch)

GSD, Columbia, Penn, Cornell, RISD, UC Berkeley, U of Michigan, WUSL, U of Oregon, Colorado-Denver.

• Open house impressions 

NA

• Results 

Penn - In (3 year, w/ no $)

WUSL - In (2 year, w/ $$$)

U of Michigan - In (2 year, w/ $)

U of Oregon - In (2 year, w/ no $)

Colorado-Denver - In (2 year, awaiting $)

RISD - Waitlist

Columbia - Waiting (feel like probably out at this point)

GSD - Out

Cornell - Out

UC Berkeley - Out

• Tips

START EARLY. 

Overall decently happy with my options. Besides GSD I was really hoping for Penn, so that was super exciting. However, with no funding or AP it's probably not going to happen. Leaning towards WUSL at the moment, but I could always be back at U of M as well. 

Mar 20, 21 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
DR..

Congrats! When did you apply to Colorado Denver and when did you receive your acceptance? Did you apply to the 3 year track?

Mar 20, 21 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
jake11

Thank you! I applied in early January and received the acceptance letter on March 2. I applied to the "four studio track". It seems like a super cool program, so it's definitely still in the mix!

Mar 20, 21 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
DR..

Thanks! I applied to the 3 year program in late February. So I’m guessing I’ll probably get my answer in late April. Do you suppose that’s how it works? Because I need to give my answer to Pratt by April 15..

Mar 20, 21 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
jake11

I'm sure that they know most schools require an answer by the 15th, so I'd imagine they would try to get that to you sooner. Good luck!

Mar 23, 21 2:34 pm  · 
1  · 
owlrange

Just think it is ridiculous that GSAPP asks MSDAAD students to commit by April.15th yet they still haven't sent out any decision. 

Mar 20, 21 1:24 pm  · 
11  · 
juiceboxx

Hey everyone congrats on everyone's acceptances! I wanted to get in touch with those considering USC M.arch program as I am, would love to discuss the program/school with you. Shoot me an email! Thanks

Mar 21, 21 5:35 am  · 
 · 
d.kk

Hi! I am considering the m.arch program at USC, but still am confused between usc and SCI-Arc. Any opinions are appreciated
d!

Mar 21, 21 7:39 am  · 
 · 
juiceboxx

Hey! I am also considering Sci-Arc and Carnegie Mellon as well. Why are you debating between the programs?

Mar 21, 21 8:51 am  · 
 · 
d.kk

They're both great schools, I love the facilities at SCI-Arc, such as robotics, AR, VR, etc. I like that it goes the experimental route if that's something I wish to do as a career, something like tech in architecture. The program at USC seems more grounded than sci-arc, I would like to have the option of doing a certificate in sustainability. USC just seems more well-rounded. Idk tho, I am going to attend their open house and see how it goes.

Mar 21, 21 11:22 am  · 
 · 
yerr

What are peoples thoughts on Columbia GSAPP's M.Arch Program? Does anyone have a good sense about their pedagogy, program?

I was fortunate enough to be offered a scholarship package, so funding will not be an issue.  

Mar 21, 21 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
kx.rbz

gsapp has excellent faculty across the board. strong and attentive leadership. and becoming a gsapp alumni opens many doors globally, especially in NYC - very strong alumni network. By far the strongest network for those who want to work in NYC. In terms of pedagogy, the late 2000's and early 2010's was moving away from architecture. Things have gotten much better towards architecture in the past 8 years, with a clear outlook for environmental issues. Strong OMA and Tschumi influence in faculty and the students from Europe and Latin America. I highly recommend

Mar 21, 21 11:47 pm  · 
3  · 
akstudio

Hello, I'm a non background applicant looking for a program where I can incorporate some fine art classes into my M. Arch education. I'm currently deciding between Harvard M. Arch I and RISD M. Arch.  Any advice/ insight is greatly appreciated!!

• Bachelor of Business from University of Michigan/ 2016
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
    • GPA: 3.6
    • Work and mentors since I've been out of school for 4 years
  • Results 
    • Harvard - In with $$
    • Yale - Out
    • MIT - Out
    • Columbia - TBD
    • RISD - In with $$
    • Cornell - In with $$
    • Umich - In with $$
    • Pratt - In with $$$
Mar 21, 21 11:32 pm  · 
2  · 
kx.rbz

Since you earned a Business degree, the GSD seems more natural, at least when paired with RISD. But for that very reason, perhaps RISD would introduce you to the most transformation where you will grow the most from the arts. Both programs are among the best. I think Cornell has a good mix of GSD and RISD. Cornell would likely give you more money if you mention your multiple offers.

Mar 21, 21 11:51 pm  · 
1  · 
nastronaut

I think you should go to Harvard since you've studied business. It'll expose to more than any of these programs can, both in the talent they have teach, as well as in the variety of departments found in the graduate school. Try to get more money though, that should absolutely be the priority with an architecture degree haha Use harvards offer to leverage more money from all the other schools. Make sure you can get more money from them than harvard, so when you appeal, Harvard can at least (hopefully) match their offers. Good luck!

Mar 22, 21 10:58 am  · 
1  · 
archsurvivor101

Definitely GSD!

Mar 22, 21 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
d.kk

Does anybody have any opinions on the IPAL program at USC? I haven't heard much about it.

Mar 22, 21 10:00 am  · 
1  · 
909uoel

Was wondering when people say $$ or $$$ -- what's the rough range for USA programs? -- Is $$$ = 40-50K and $$=30K? 

Mar 22, 21 1:42 pm  · 
1  · 
kx.rbz

i once had that question. i don't think it equates to specific numbers. rather, it just means %. $=25% of that the school costs. $$$$ is full ride., $$=half scholarship.

Mar 22, 21 2:29 pm  · 
2  · 
909uoel

Is the percentage purely based on the tuition cost (not including the additional costs such as insurance that most schools require, etc)?

Mar 22, 21 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
kx.rbz

no clue. i don't think anyone here knows for sure. likely tuition only. schools usually only give scholarships towards tuition

Mar 22, 21 2:52 pm  · 
1  · 
itfr

BERKELEY VS GSAPP COLUMBIA - MARCH 

What do you think ?

Mar 22, 21 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

Where can I find information about the research labs / centres at Cornell AAP. Can someone link me / lmk if they have any information about the same. Thanks !

Mar 23, 21 2:36 am  · 
1  · 
MiesvanderHo

UBC results out last night for all my Canadian friends

Mar 23, 21 10:50 am  · 
2  · 
itiswhatitis

does anyone know how to access financial aid for Columbia?? I got my Personal Identification number but I don't know where to log in.

Mar 23, 21 11:37 am  · 
 · 
msomebody

Did you get an email?

Mar 23, 21 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
itiswhatitis

yes but it didn't include any info on where to view our aid

Mar 23, 21 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
yerr

That seems to be the link but for some reason it does not seem to be working for me? I've tried contacting the office but have gotten no response. Let me know if it works for you!

Mar 23, 21 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
itiswhatitis

weird. its not working for me either... it just states to contact the financial aid office. I guess I will try that.

Mar 23, 21 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
msomebody

I haven't received any update on my portal or email. I am guessing it is a reject?

Mar 23, 21 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
modeofbeing

I also received an email with a personal identification number but there was no more information about financial aid other than that. I’m assuming that they are still preparing our aid information. Hopefully it will be sent out to us by April 1st.

Mar 23, 21 6:30 pm  · 
1  · 
Genlit

I am having the same issue, can’t seem to access financial aid through the code they gave

Mar 25, 21 9:47 am  · 
 · 
nnon1234

Is anyone stuck between GSAPP and Yale? If so, what are your thoughts on either program? 

Mar 23, 21 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
909uoel

In the same boat - interested to hear what others say to be very honest.

Mar 23, 21 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Staceysmom

I heard from one of my profs that Yale and MIT's program is unbeatable. But of course everyone has their own opinion. I didn't extend the conversation because I personally didn't apply to either one but congratulations!

Mar 24, 21 10:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Spritzerrrr

Have GSAPP rejections for M-Arch I gone out yet ?

Mar 24, 21 4:28 am  · 
 · 
hbassal

Not yet, still waiting for my “regret to inform you crap”

Mar 24, 21 4:47 am  · 
2  · 
archithoughts

Second round of acceptances out today

Mar 24, 21 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

How do you know ? Did you already get yours

Mar 24, 21 10:04 am  · 
 · 
archithoughts

yep received email to check portal, but too expensive for me to attend without scholarship , so probably going to decline the offer :(

Mar 24, 21 10:36 am  · 
2  · 
Spritzerrrr

Congrats!! I haven't received anything unfortunately

Mar 24, 21 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

Do you think acceptances are still rolling out ?

Mar 24, 21 10:47 am  · 
 · 
archithoughts

Thanks! I think so, it's still early in the day in NY, they still have the whole day to send out acceptances. Good luck!!

Mar 24, 21 10:55 am  · 
3  · 
p3_g

What about for MSAAD?

Mar 24, 21 11:11 am  · 
 · 
BAS1

Was waitlisted today for m arch 1

Mar 26, 21 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
catnip_

when did you get the email?

Mar 26, 21 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
BAS1

12 pm (PT)

Mar 26, 21 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

Do you think acceptances are still rolling out ?

Mar 24, 21 10:46 am  · 
 · 
catnip_

Fingers crossed

Mar 24, 21 12:09 pm  · 
1  · 
BAS1

Any thoughts on m arch 1 for someone with no background in architecture at Pratt $$$ vs Michigan $$? 

Mar 25, 21 4:12 am  · 
 · 
_stormaggeddon

When I moved from a smaller town to Chicago, I felt like being in a bigger city as I was learning about Architecture and Urbanism provided a really full experience. Being able to see and touch some of the world's most notable architecture could be an advantage of Pratt's location.

Apr 7, 21 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
j.adrian

B.S. Arch / Washington University in St. Louis / 2020

- Malaysian applicant

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.84/4.00 - Waived - Waived

3 professors and 1 program chair

• Schools

Applied for M.Arch I programs at:

GSD, MIT, Yale, GSAPP, UPenn

• Results

IN - GSD

Waitlist - MIT

IN - Yale with $

IN - GSAPP

IN - UPenn with $

• Tips

Portfolio

Complete your portfolio as early as you can. I did mine is the span of 3 months after graduating. I wholeheartedly recommend overhauling your portfolio if you haven't been updating it consistently. I completely rearranged/redesigned my portfolio to make it more cohesive. And of course have your professors/friends take a look and critique your portfolio.

Statements

Just write about what genuinely interests you. For the "Experience in the Built Environment" GSD essay, I wrote about a fire escape on the backside of a masonry and limestone gothic church behind my house. Seems like a trivial thing to notice but it is something that I genuinely find interesting which I found fun to write about. It also helps to have a clear vision of what you want to achieve during your time in graduate school and in your subsequent professional career.

Gather inspiration. I resort to books when I find myself stuck. Peter Zumthor's "Atmospheres" and "Thinking about Architecture," in my opinion, are great books to jog your mind before writing.

Have your professors and friends look at and comment on your essays. I had a friend in the GSD help me refine my statements which was a massive help.

I will probably go for GSD. I was too late to apply for any international financial aid and they're pretty adamant in not entertaining late applications. Yale was much nicer; they asked if I still wanted to apply for financial aid even though it was past the deadline. Good thing I received a scholarship form my county's state government.

Mar 25, 21 10:53 pm  · 
2  · 
baboo.fei

Congrats! Looking forward to reuniting w you / TL / WT at Gund this fall!

Mar 29, 21 1:54 pm  · 
1  · 
j.adrian

Thanks! Great to see you in the GSD too! Are they any more people from your year joining us?

Mar 30, 21 3:05 am  · 
 · 
baboo.fei

Yeah a couple others. Check your Instagram PM!!

Apr 23, 21 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
arch222

Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

BArch/US Top 20/2019

GPA/GRE/TOEFL

3.7/4.0/waived/waived

Results

UCB (MCP) - Accepted

Cornell (MSAAD) - Accepted with $

Columbia GSAPP (MSAUD) - Accepted

Harvard GSD (MAUD) - Reject

Yale (MArch II) - Reject

UPenn (MArch II) - Accepted

Princeton (MArch II) - Reject

Not keen on incurring 100K debt to go to grad school - is it better to reapply next year or just go for it? What are people's thoughts on reapplying? Has anyone done that and gotten better results second time around.

Mar 26, 21 12:23 am  · 
 · 
hbassal

I’m in the same exact boat, thinking about reapplying...

Mar 26, 21 2:27 am  · 
 · 
femmefatality

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 
  • Portfolio
  • Schools 
  • Open house impressions 
  • Results 
  • Tips
Mar 26, 21 10:09 am  · 
 · 
femmefatality

Applied Linguistics/ Georgia State University/ 2017

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

2.8 - 150V/149Q/4.0A

3 Letters from my colleagues

I mainly wrote about how I want to advocate for safe and sustainable housing and structures for disadvantaged communities.

• Portfolio

Since I don't have a background in I did a collection of hand drawn pictures, including buildings, mountains, forests, animals, flowers and fruits. 

• Schools 

Northeastern, BAC, NYIT, New School of Architecture and Deign, Pratt, CCNY, and Sci- Arc

• Open house impressions 

Didn't attend

• Results 

Northeastern- Reject

BAC- In

NYIT- In

New School- In

Pratt- In

CCNY- Reject

Sci- Arc- Waitlist

• Tips

Since I don't have a background in architecture, and my gpa is extremely low, I had not confidence in getting accepted. I was going to be happy to just get accepted into one of these schools. My advice is to start early, and plan ahead. I started in June, but procrastinated and didn't have everything ready until the last minute. Also, I changed my statement of purpose at least 5 times. if you have no architecture background, then I would focus heavily on your portfolio. I worked really hard on mine and I'm pretty sure that's what helped me get accepted. Lastly, don't doubt yourself and just go for it. If I can do it, so can you! 

Also, I have no idea which school I should attend, so if anyone has any helpful advice, I would really appreciate it! 

Mar 26, 21 10:39 am  · 
 · 
ammarco

Has anyone had success negotiating financial aid with MIT? Looking to close the affordability gap. Thanks!

Mar 26, 21 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
evamcleigh

i wonder the same with GSD :(

Mar 26, 21 3:39 pm  · 
1  · 
hbassal

Don’t be sad, GSD is an investment,

Mar 26, 21 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Staceysmom

Is anyone still holding their breath for GSAPP? I emailed them about an update but haven't heard anything

Mar 26, 21 5:07 pm  · 
3  · 
koratheexplorer

they (finally) released their waitlist decisions a couple of hours ago

Mar 26, 21 5:43 pm  · 
1  · 
Staceysmom

my portal is still unchanged

Mar 26, 21 5:53 pm  · 
2  · 
p3_g

Mine as well. I am still hopeful

Mar 26, 21 6:58 pm  · 
1  · 
Spritzerrrr

I got an update on my portal saying I’m waitlisted

Mar 26, 21 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
p3_g

[email protected] this is their mail Id right. Is there anything else ?

Mar 27, 21 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
Henlee

Mar 28, 21 3:46 am  · 
 · 
Henlee

Mar 28, 21 3:47 am  · 
 · 
PhineasGeorge
  • Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated Finance / 2015
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 3.9 - 165/161/5.0 - N/A
  • Letter of recommendations - 1 from a former supervisor, 1 from an instructor of an art class I took, 1 from a summer architecture program
  • Personal Essay/Statement - tailored to each school, but generally: why architecture, what I wanted to do specifically within architecture, why I think I'm a good/unique candidate for an incoming class, why that school
  • Portfolio - 4-5 sections, depending on the school's length requirements. A mix of personal drawings/sketchings/paintings, work from my summer architecture program, and 2 projects I created for the portfolio, 1 of which was more structural/3D in nature and 1 which was related to my previous degree & work experience
  • Schools - I had to apply all over the country because my partner was matching into residency, meaning I had to maximize my odds of getting an acceptance in whichever city she'd end up matching in (M.Arch applications due December/January...Match day was mid-March). Sorry, I don't understand the $$$ code that goes on here, so I'm just leaving that part out.
    • UCB - In
    • UCLA - In
    • CCA - In
    • GTech - In
    • UHouston - In
    • UT Austin - In
    • Rice - Out
    • MassArt - In
    • Northeastern - In
    • BAC - In
    • Wentworth - In
    • GSD - Out
    • MIT - Out
    • OSU - In
    • Cincinnati - In
    • Parsons - In
    • Pratt - In
    • CCNY - In
    • NYIT - In
    • GSAPP - Out
    • UC Denver - In
    • SAIC - In
    • UIC - In
    • IIT - In
    • Utah - In
    • WashU - In
    • UMD - In
  • Open house impressions - honestly all a blur given how many I went to and how long ago they were at this point. They were all pretty similar though.
  • Results - see above
  • Tips - start early, like years ahead if you can. I got the impression they'd rather see work you've been cultivating over a long period of time than something you just made for the sake of the portfolio. Also, if you don't have the same weird situation I did in terms of which schools you're applying to, really focus in on a handful and make efforts to connect with faculty, students, admissions, etc... at those schools early and often (don't let your application be the first time they hear of you).

Now that I know where my partner matched (Boston) I have to pick between Northeastern, Wentworth, BAC, and MassArt. I know they're all super different schools, but money aside, I'd appreciate any opinions people have on them, especially a comparison between Wentworth and Northeastern.

Mar 28, 21 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Arcmash

Hey when did you get response from UMD? Been waiting for them for morethan 3 months.

Mar 29, 21 8:58 am  · 
 · 
PhineasGeorge

March 9

Mar 29, 21 9:34 am  · 
 · 
architecture?

Hi all! Congrats to everybody who got into their top choice programs, it was an extra tough year so you definitely earned it!

I'm wondering if anybody has opinions on re-applying if I wasn't admitted to a school I'm super excited about. Penn in particular is a school I really like but didn't get into. I saw at least one person post about getting in there but not one of the schools I did get accepted to so I'm tempted to try my luck again (with an improved application of course). My GPA is low but everything else can be improved on in the next year. At the same time I want to make sure I'm not just waisting my time. Does anybody have any thoughts on this or should I just make the best of one of the offers I did receive? 

Mar 28, 21 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
Arcmash

Hey, I'm also in your shoe, just like this is my second year of applying and the second I'm getting reject from my top programs, I'm just clueless now on what to do

Mar 29, 21 8:57 am  · 
 · 
architecture?

Arcmash, sorry to hear that. This was my first year applying, how did you decide it was worth re-applying after last year?

Mar 29, 21 1:00 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: