Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Fall 2021 Application Status

faddo001

I've seen on here and grad cafe that folks have received both acceptances and rejections from Berkeley. My application does not have an update. Are others still waiting to hear back from UCB for M Arch?  

Mar 8, 21 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
crb1234

Same here with me.. No update on the portal. I applied for MLA 2

Mar 8, 21 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

I have got into IAAC, Barcelona but i'm skeptical about it due to no work visa for non resident which results in low return of investment. i have got into University of east london too for MA architecture & urbanism but its not accredited. Can anyone share experience about iaac post studies.

Mar 8, 21 2:33 pm  · 
2  · 
dt_cs

Hi , Did they give you scholarship?

Apr 20, 21 8:58 am  · 
 · 
aviloxela

M.Arch 1 applicant (non-arch background)

• Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated: William & Mary BA in American Studies, 2015
  • GPA - GRE  - TOEFL:  3.34, GRE 156/150/5.5
  • Letter of recommendations: 2 professors, 1 mentor
  • Personal Essay/Statement: hard to summarize, mainly about my interest in congestion 
  • Portfolio: design assistant work, sculpture, cad work, social art practice projects, writing, etc.
  • Schools: UC Berkeley, UCLA, Sci-Arc, Cornell, Pratt (industrial design), U Toronto, Design Academy Eindhoven (contextual design)
  • Open house impressions:  N/A
  • Results: 
    • IN: Sci-arc with $ mentioned on phone (waiting on amount), UC Berkeley with $15k for first semester,  Pratt with $42k distributed across all years, Design Academy Eindhoven
    • WAITING: UCLA, U Toronto
    • OUT: Cornell
  • Tips  I'm really into writing so I worked on my written statements a lot, had many people edit etc. I included a lot of different work in my portfolio: visual art programming, design apprenticeships, and personal sculpture work. I'd say my descriptions of each project were story-like and a bit informal. 

Mar 8, 21 4:08 pm  · 
3  · 
Staceysmom

I'd love to hear thoughts on M.Arch I at Pratt in comparison with Parsons, if anyone has any thoughts/stories etc! Thanks in advance

Mar 8, 21 4:44 pm  · 
3  · 
Comfortablynumb

Same! So far got accepted by Pratt but still waiting on Parsons

Mar 11, 21 7:21 pm  · 
1  · 
JsjajmdoO

I’m still waiting for Parsons as well. Most probably will commit to Pratt if Parsons takes any longer.

Apr 19, 21 10:44 am  · 
 · 
SAKD

Is anyone still waiting on MIT M.Arch?

Mar 8, 21 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
bullymaguire21

yeah. got a notif I was waitlisted abt a week ago

Mar 8, 21 7:49 pm  · 
1  · 
koratheexplorer

I still haven’t received any decision (so assuming it’s a rejection sadly)

Mar 8, 21 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
kop1234

Waiting for a response as well, also think its going to be a rejection

Mar 10, 21 7:04 am  · 
 · 
oscarcortes
  • Undergraduate Degree/ School/ Year graduated 

B.Arch / Universidad Iberoamericana  / 2017

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

Not required

• Letter of recommendations 

1 from previous professor and employer, 1 from current firm (owner/design principal)

• Personal Essay/Statement 

Series of personal concerns, intentions and interests for which I'm inclined to research and learn, highlighting specifically why either program.

• Portfolio

5 Projects: 2 Competitions, 2 International Exhibitions, 1 Professional

• Schools 

IAAC MAA, UCL Bartlett MArch Architectural Design

• Open house impressions 

Only virtual 

• Results 

IAAC - In, with scholarship 

Bartlett - Waiting response

• Tips

Start portfolio as soonest possible, study the program your interest in, talk with former and recent grads for feedback thru linkedin/instragram.

Mar 9, 21 1:05 am  · 
1  · 
sumedhgangurde

Hey man i got into iaac as well for MAA. you want to connect?

Mar 9, 21 11:58 am  · 
1  · 
oscarcortes

Hey, sure dude!

Mar 9, 21 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
sumedhgangurde

Your email or social media handle?

Mar 9, 21 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
itiswhatitis

Does anyone have any opinions on UCLA? I was accepted with full tuition the first year and then I have to pay the Non-Resident Fee for the second & third ($12K). I heard I can exempt it though since I can qualify as a California resident after living there for a year? Is this true?

Mar 9, 21 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Arcmash

Congratulations Andrea, you've been accepted into some amazing programs, UCLA is a great program and fully ride make it more interesting, if you were fully funded in the first year, then definitely if you can excel in the program, you'll get the full funding for the subsequent years, I understand you're accepted by UPenn which is also an excellent program but depends on what they could offer you in $$, when a school gives you full ride, it shows they really wanted you to attend.

Mar 9, 21 9:47 am  · 
1  · 
itiswhatitis

thanks! Really appreciate the input

Mar 9, 21 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
nNnNnNnNn

Princeton vs. SCI-Arc?

Mar 9, 21 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Arcmash

Princeton all the way

Mar 9, 21 10:54 am  · 
 · 
nNnNnNnNn

why princeton?

Mar 9, 21 11:04 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

I want to echo @Arcmash and if I was in your place I would choose Princeton, however to all things there is a balance. Princeton is theory heavy, and I mean DEEP. If you want to be involved in academia to any extent in the future, Princeton all the way. Both will likely give you equal preparation for design work. However everyone's portfolios at Sci-Arc feels like mini Thom Maynes and you can see a similar influence at U-Penn where he teaches. Princeton folks however are all unique and you can see their headstrong theoretical individuality is quite evident in their work. But also I'm sure Princeton is giving you more money right? They are generous, their TA and research positions alone are also the highest paying out of any school by far.

Mar 9, 21 11:08 am  · 
2  · 
nastronaut

Run away from sciarc!!! You got into an amazing school!!! go there

Mar 9, 21 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
nNnNnNnNn

why?

Mar 10, 21 2:05 pm  · 
1  · 
deathbydesign

I read your SCI-Arc vs. Princeton thread and it seems like you're the edgy type and would actually choose and thrive more creatively in an environment like SCI-Arc. I mean, why not right? Full tuition is still better than 90% tuition (you're still going to be paying that 10%). Ivy schools are Ivy schools we get the sales pitch but we often glorify/worship them too much when all they can really do for you is just give you the "prestige" and connections (and not even globally because only people in the US care about these reputations). But since you plan on having an unconventional practice later on, the connections that could be ideal for you are the ones that you can already get in SCI-Arc.

Mar 11, 21 1:22 am  · 
1  · 
RichardV

hadn't posted this yet, but this group has definitely helped me with updates and other's opinions. so here's mine

B of Arts Architecture /CU / 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL 

3.9 - Waived - WaiVed

3 from former professors. My department was small and I made it a point to really get to know professors I found interesting and involved.

My journey growing up overseas and how the perception of development has guided my studies of architecture. 

• Portfolio

10 -12 I think. some were really short (one spread and the longest ones were about 3 spreads). I basically threw everything in there I was happy with. 

• Schools 

Princeton, GSAPP, Yale, GSD, MIT

• Open house impressions 

Idk but I found the virtual open houses not very motivating. they seemed like extensions of information already on the websites, but they were informative. If anything I would say I was impressed by how MIT showed how they are helping students with remote learning and model-making kits. That made me want to apply there.

• Results  

GSD - In $$$

Yale  - In $$

MIT - Waitlisted

Princeton - In $$$

GSAPP - waiting

• Tips

Start early, I remember being stressed about the GRE and spending most of my time after grad while I was in between jobs studying. (Glad that was waived). Also, I knew I'd struggle with the essays so I got my portfolio done super early and had a friend and my favorite professor review it. Was done with my portfolio by November and just edited it at least the day before deadline day to match page/size requirements. For the essays, I just tried to relate them to my portfolio, work experiences, and things I thought my recommenders might say about me. I reviewed them a bit on deadline day and had friends just put a different set of eyes on it. 

Mar 9, 21 11:40 am  · 
5  · 
nastronaut

Hey, I'm just curious as to when Yale updated you on financial aid information

Mar 9, 21 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
RichardV

Got an update on March 5th. Filled out my aid application in late January

Mar 9, 21 3:54 pm  · 
1  · 
RichardV

Update: in at GSAPP

Mar 12, 21 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
koratheexplorer

Congrats on everything! For GSAPP, has your portal updated / did you get an email?

Mar 12, 21 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
RichardV

Portal...this wasn't for M.Arch though

Mar 12, 21 5:16 pm  · 
1  · 
RichardV

Got an email as well. Historic preservation

Mar 12, 21 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
kevkk90

@RichardV, congrats on your acceptance. I've been applying to the same schools (MIT, GSD, Princeton) for two years and haven't had a chance to get in. would you consider reviewing my work and let me know your thought. I'm thinking to apply again next year.

Apr 7, 21 4:01 pm  · 
1  · 
RichardV

@kevkk90 sure just message me through here

Apr 8, 21 9:30 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

Okay someone on Grad Cafe has said they have received an acceptance to Rice MArch option 1 with full tuition by checking the website. Nothing on my end yet. anyone else? 

Mar 9, 21 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Luques

Yes, I received an update on my portal, no email - MArch option 1 accepted with $$

Mar 9, 21 6:19 pm  · 
2  · 
MTTS

Congrats, just got the update too!

Mar 9, 21 7:53 pm  · 
2  · 
Spritzerrrr

Yeah I got the update recently too ! Accepted to MArch Option 1 with $$

Mar 12, 21 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
introductionmediator

Has anyone else heard back from UCLA? I received an email from the chair of the department that the admissions office is recommending my admission to the Graduate Division, and that "if" I am admitted, I will receive an official email in the next week or so. Is this what people are calling an "unofficial" acceptance? What could happen that would cause them to rescind that? 

Also, did anyone have financial aid information in this correspondence?

Mar 10, 21 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
itiswhatitis

In my acceptance, I received a fellowship that covered a good portion of tuition. As for the acceptance, that is the typical process for UCLA grad school. We will probably get our official acceptance in a week or two

Mar 10, 21 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
faddo001

I received the same exact admissions letter. Congrats! Hopefully no rescinding, idk what would cause them to do that.

Mar 10, 21 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Kwatchin6

My friends and I also got the same letter and no feedback yet. Don't worry! Guess it's just their THING lol.

Mar 13, 21 4:38 am  · 
 · 
archsurvivor101

I received the same letter as well with a fellowship. Just a normal process I’m hoping!

Mar 14, 21 4:22 am  · 
 · 
evamcleigh

Just committed to GSD because that's where I'd go regardless, really like this school. Now, does that mean I lose my leverage when negotiating financial aid?! Lowkey think I fucked up by committing too early, now they won't give a shit :( 

Mar 10, 21 4:09 pm  · 
4  · 
RichardV

I could be wrong, but maybe not? Unless acceptances are legally binding, you could possibly make a case for yourself. I would message admissions just be to sure.

Mar 10, 21 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
nastronaut

I'm sure it doesn't matter until you pay your deposit. But still probably not helpful if they think they have you already

Mar 11, 21 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
12bleo21

Are there people who haven't received the financial award information from Yale? I haven't received mine and was wondering if this means I won't be getting any aid or if I just need to wait a bit longer.

Mar 10, 21 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
909uoel

Hey I haven't yet received mine either. I did apply after I received my acceptance so I figured it would take a while.

Mar 10, 21 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

I called today because I had not received anything either. I was told that they are still working on it and are expecting to finish sometime next week. It doesn't necessarily matter when you sent the financial aid form, I sent mine 3 days after the application deadline and they confirmed that they have it.

Mar 10, 21 10:10 pm  · 
1  · 
bdouat

I didn't receive it either, and I applied to it the week before the deadline...

Mar 11, 21 7:16 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

Sorry, to clarify, I sent mine 3 days after the general school application deadline, so a month before the financial aid form deadline

Mar 11, 21 7:29 am  · 
1  · 
brand0nlim

I'm in the same boat, submitted my form in late January. I sent them a followup email and they said they are still processing the forms, which may take up to as late as March 26 at the latest. I assume with MTTS's comment that it shouldn't take that long though.

Mar 13, 21 11:37 am  · 
 · 
lisa9834

What are your opinions on Sci-Arc and Pratt?

Sci-Arc vs Pratt? I've heard they're both great schools but idk which is more promising.

Mar 11, 21 4:51 am  · 
 · 
carolinabeachwood

For those of you who have been accepted to UT Austin, have you received any information on scholarship or gift aid? I got a notification a week ago or so saying my financial aid had been updated but when I log on through CASH, it shows the full cost of tuition divided between unsubsidized and subsidized loans with $0 in scholarship. Just wondering if I should be expecting any scholarship to be offered still, or if the loans are my only form of offered financial aid.

Thanks!

Mar 11, 21 11:13 am  · 
 · 
lmaccora

Congrats on getting accepted to UT Austin! I may not be able to help you with financial questions, but as a current student in the MArch program at UTSOA, I would be happy to answer any of your questions about the program! Best of luck! - Lisa

Mar 11, 21 11:32 am  · 
1  · 
carolinabeachwood

That would be great actually! Do you have an email or social media I could use to reach out?

Mar 17, 21 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
lmaccora

Of course!  lmaccora@utexas.edu!

Mar 19, 21 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Michealreynolds77

Did you end up hearing back?

Mar 23, 22 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
lisa9834

Any idea on when GSAPP decisions will be out?

Mar 11, 21 12:09 pm  · 
1  · 
MCook23

The rumor was today or tomorrow.

Mar 11, 21 12:22 pm  · 
5  · 
_N8_

Historic preservation decisions seem to be out atm

Mar 11, 21 4:24 pm  · 
2  · 
p3_g

Any update on MSAAD results ?

Mar 22, 21 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
MCook23

Still waiting here. I'm not sure if that means I'm out / waitlisted. But, I also haven't heard anything about anyone being accepted yet. Not sure.

Mar 22, 21 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
jack_arch

I just received an email update around 2 PM EST

Mar 22, 21 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
_N8_

I was admitted to UPenn on the 3 year track, though I have a 4 year pre-professional degree in Architecture so I was under the impression I would qualify for a year of advanced standing. Anyone know if this is something that can be disputed or debated with the admission committee?

Mar 11, 21 12:09 pm  · 
2  · 
MiesvanderHo

Did they include financial aid in your decision letter?

Mar 11, 21 12:21 pm  · 
1  · 
dt_cs

yeah, did they mention anything about financial aid ?

Mar 11, 21 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
_N8_

I only see a variety of Federal loans, doesn't look like any aid from the school itself

Mar 11, 21 12:27 pm  · 
1  · 
MiesvanderHo

Just realized I didn’t apply for it... Didn’t seem to be an option for int’l students.

Mar 11, 21 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
_N8_

I only listed the prereq requirements for the school itself, I saw no option for applying for a different track. Not sure what degree would qualify for the advanced standing if not mine lol

Mar 11, 21 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
cbkk

Was wondering the same thing - my understanding is that an architecture background makes you eligible for advanced standing but doesn't necessarily guarantee it. I don't remember there being a separate option in the application so I think in the end its just a subjective decision up to the school.

Mar 11, 21 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 
_N8_

I'm gonna send an email to Dubbeldam as she will be the most qualified to answer. At the very least I should be able to shave off a couple classes, if not a whole year. Will report back!

Mar 11, 21 1:12 pm  · 
3  · 
jake11

I'm in the same boat. Excited to get accepted, but super bummed it's without AP.

Mar 11, 21 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
itiswhatitis

What is your opinion on AP? I was offered it but I am hesitant since UPenn is design/technology-heavy. I was told that the first year is where you are introduced to all the digital programs... my friend who has a better technological background & overall portfolio was offered the 3 year track so I don't know what exactly made me qualified for advanced placement... I also come from an arch background

Mar 11, 21 1:44 pm  · 
1  · 
_N8_

Personally, I usually pick up new programs fairly quickly, so I idk if that is an issue for me, but who knows, I could be way overly confident. Regardless, they should be a bit clearer about the whole process. Paying for a year of school that I could/should have skipped kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Mar 11, 21 1:56 pm  · 
2  · 
jake11

Yeah for me it mostly comes down to having to pay for an extra year if there is a possibility that could've been avoided, especially with minimal funding offered. I do understand the concern with it being such a technology-heavy program though.

Mar 11, 21 2:03 pm  · 
1  · 
_N8_

UPDATE: Thank you for your email, and congratulations again for being accepted into the program! There were a very limited number of people who were admitted to our MArch program with advanced standing, and those decisions were based on their portfolios and other scores. If you have already taken courses equivalent to our core courses, however, you certainly may be able to waive out of Construction, Structures, Environmental Systems and possibly, in the rare case, History and Theory. You would then be able to take electives instead of repeating material you have already covered previously. Warm regards, Sarah (it wasn't Dubbeldam lol)

Mar 11, 21 2:18 pm  · 
4  · 
itiswhatitis

-

Mar 11, 21 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
jb

Still haven't heard back from Sci-Arc :*(

A bit nervous as it's my first choice, but I got into UT RISD and UMich all with $$ so I feel like getting in should be automatic? Am I wrong for thinking this lol

Mar 11, 21 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
jb

Just checked the admissions portal and I'm in! lets go :)

Mar 11, 21 11:17 pm  · 
2  · 
L.Stone

me too!!! Glad you posted so I knew to check. thanks, comrade

Mar 12, 21 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
JJCESD

any info on $ with sci-arc? here: in at RISD; waitlisted at UMich.

Mar 13, 21 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
archsurvivor101

Accepted to UCLA and Cornell’s M.Arch program with $$$. Anyone have any thoughts on either program?

Where one is an iVey, the other is located in Los Angeles! Would love to hear some feedback to make my decision process easier!

Mar 11, 21 6:19 pm  · 
2  · 
dd_x

Does $$$ Means you got 75% scholarship for both UCLA and Cornell? Just wanted to clarify.

Mar 11, 21 9:24 pm  · 
1  · 
archsurvivor101

About 55% for both haha oops, shouldve been $$

Mar 11, 21 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

It's never that straightforward if they have offered you the same amount. For example what is the work/research field you are interested in? Do you plan to work part time at a firm while in school? (That matter's because Cornell is in the boonies.) What are your future plans, just working in a firm or does it include academia? Does the extra 1 Semester at Cornell matter to you? Are there faculty that you are interested in, or perhaps do you want to learn from more prestigious faculty? Keeping these in mind. look at the work/research of the faculty at each school, this is the most important thing, because they are your connection to that work and it is also what they will teach you. If you have any interest in teaching in the future Cornell by far has a better reputation in that regard. Cornell also by far has more coveted faculty, which is understandable based on location and overall reputation. You are also more likely to get more money out of Cornell if you ask now as well as you go along. Also Cornell has smaller population of students in the department, if you care for that. Lastly Cornell has had a much longer history of dominating in Architecture both for grad and undergrad so it's name carries more weight in the field. My bias is obvious, but it's just because I have better knowledge of Cornell since I am also considering it. best of luck.

Mar 12, 21 11:27 am  · 
 · 
bullymaguire21

my 2 cents about Cornell since i go there: the weather is brutal in the winter. great school but sometimes it will feel like you haven't seen the sun in days. It might seem trivial but a lot of people I know struggle with this environment. Public transit is really cheap, but it does take a lot of time to get around. if you're from a city (like i was), it'll be a big lifestyle shift.

Mar 12, 21 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
bullymaguire21

Consider expenses for room + board as well. delivery + food is expensive (not particularly good either) and often-times to far away to travel by foot or bus is a reasonable time. might need to invest in some cooking skills. renting around central campus will easily be 1000+ without a roommate, and still easily 700-900 if you are sharing.

Mar 12, 21 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
t.s.

Hey bullymaguire21, which program are you studying at Cornell. Could I touch base with you to know more about Cornell?

Mar 14, 21 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

@bullymaguire21 Yes me too ! would love to know more about the school from someone who is studying there. Let me know too, if we can touch base !

Mar 15, 21 8:16 am  · 
 · 
draicamle

@bullymaguire21 @Spritzerrrr @t.s. Same here!

Mar 18, 21 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
h3llo

Anyone hear back from Carleton University? (Canada)

Mar 11, 21 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
pomegranate_purgatory

I received an email last night with my acceptance!! With funding over 3 years. I'm sure more decisions will be out next week.

Mar 13, 21 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

How does one navigate scholarships ? Say a school offers $, how do I get $$$ ? 

Mar 11, 21 11:49 pm  · 
2  · 
MTTS

Hopefully you have more than one acceptance. You can email, although a phone call is even better if you can reach the director of the program. Make your needs clear and let them know your limits. Mension that you have other offers, naming the schools, but that you really want to go to their specific school. Do not sound entitled, but do not beg, most of all, don't make it sound like a negotiation. Just ask nicely if they have the capacity to increase your funding. Be clear about how much you need, don't be afraid about asking too much, you are just making your needs known. They might ask how much the other schools have you

so be prepared and don't lie.

Mar 12, 21 6:58 am  · 
5  · 
MTTS

I always make a mistake and it posts accidentally. To finish my thought,. "They might ask you how much the other schools offered you, be prepared and don't lie"

Mar 12, 21 7:00 am  · 
4  · 
Spritzerrrr

thanks so much this is super helpful

Mar 12, 21 11:56 am  · 
1  · 
JJCESD

mtts - think schools ever do increase the $ amount? appreciate your thoughts. yep, helpful

Mar 13, 21 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

Yes, all the time. You just have to be smart about it. For example if Yale has offered $, Cornell has offered $$ and rice has offered $$$. You start by going to Cornell and asking them to atleast Match, even if they don't give you more than Rice, you would take then take the $$$ from the two schools and go to Yale and ask them to match and even if they don't cover 75% they will increase the amount decently if you are firm about your limits and let them know they are your top choice. Another thing to know is that the top Grad programs like the iveys have a lot of money they can tap into so they are known to atleast match other well ranked programs. Architecture programs usually have such a small class of students that if they have accepted you, you have decent leverage for increase.

Mar 13, 21 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

How would you frame your words while asking for an increase in aid ?

Mar 14, 21 1:27 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

There is no set way because situations differ. A good example is a friend who went to Yale pre Covid, so she actually went to Yale in person and told them her limits in terms of her finances (essentially what she could afford) she took the letter from another college which had offered her Full tuition and Told Yale they are her top choice and kindly asked if they had the capacity to increase the funding. They ended up matching the other college. The important thing isn't how you say it, they do this every semester/year so they are aware of various circumstances and how to navigate them. In summary don't worry about wording, as I have said above, be nice, don't negotiate (meaning don't make it sound like you are trying to haggle, it is a request), tell them your needs and be prepared with numbers from other offers, don't waiver about what you need, be firm so that they know that is what you will need to go there.

Mar 14, 21 3:08 pm  · 
1  · 
MTTS

Alright, now that I have had a chance to speak with multiple schools, I can probably be of a little more help, I put what I had said to action. In my conversation with the school that gave me the lowest funding, I simply explained my financial circumstance and made it clear that I can only come to the school if I was given full tuition. I let them know how much funding other schools were giving me, but I did not negotiate, I simply told them why the school was important to me and asked "Do you have the capacity to revaluate my funding?" (Short 30 seconds) They were understanding and told me how much more money they could easily add which was around 10% more, however they said they will see how much more they can secure. From our conversation, it seems that I can probably expect at least 25% more funding. I don't have much room for better funding at the schools because I'm receiving full or close to full tuition funding at each school except for the one I mentioned, so my circumstance probably isn't as helpful, however I just wanted to let you know that my experiences so far have been encouraging, just be nice and tell them what you need, and again don't lie.

Mar 20, 21 8:24 pm  · 
2  · 
sabbyyuu

Hi, this is a year late message and I hope things worked out for you, it seems like they did tbh! I am going through this process now and your thread has been helpful so far! I was just wondering if you ama

Mar 10, 22 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
sabbyyuu

It sent by mistake without me finishing … but I received 60% FA from Yale, and would need atleast full or 90% to go, as I also need to take a loan out for maintenance. Do you think it would be possible to negotiate from them. Also, I am intentional student! X

Mar 10, 22 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

It is possible, the fact that you are international isn't a big deal. Reach out to the director of admissions and tell them exactly what you have put here. When they select you for admission and give you 60% it already means they want you. I would however act fast to be clear that you want to go there and you have certain limits in order to afford going. Part of the way Yale's funding works is that as other people decline their offers they can take some of that and allocate it to you. what that means is that they might not have an answer for you until the week of the deadline. If you have better funding elsewhere they are likely to ask. I have been in a similar place with them last year and they were great, so be encouraged. Remember don't negotiate, but rather ask. Best of luck .

Mar 18, 22 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

Any word from Columbia ?? 

Mar 11, 21 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
catnip_

Still waiting as well. There are *some* updates on grad cafe but its mostly people asking the same question

Mar 11, 21 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
koratheexplorer

Seems like nobody has heard. Hopefully they finally release today...

Mar 12, 21 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

yes hopefully either today or tomorrow ! A friend told me she got in last year on the 13th of March, so I think we should hear soon !!

Mar 12, 21 11:53 am  · 
3  · 
crb1234

MSAUD decision is released

Mar 12, 21 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
catnip_

how do you know??

Mar 12, 21 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
crb1234

Got an email to check the portal.. I am IN at GSAPP :)

Mar 12, 21 3:34 pm  · 
2  · 
koratheexplorer

Was that just now/today crb?? Congrats!

Mar 12, 21 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
crb1234

Yes!!!! Today just an hour ago...Thank You Kora

Mar 12, 21 3:41 pm  · 
2  · 
catnip_

What program?? Congrats!!!

Mar 12, 21 5:35 pm  · 
1  · 
ek2003

Has anyone heard for gsapp M.Arch or just MSAUD and MUP?

Mar 12, 21 5:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Spritzerrrr

GSAPP M-ARCH ?? Still no word ??

Mar 12, 21 11:08 pm  · 
7  · 
lisa9834

Does anyone know when USC decisions will be out?

Mar 12, 21 3:44 am  · 
 · 
VediM

I received an Email 20 minutes ago. Got accepted but nothing is mentioned about the financial aid. Did anyone get news about the scholarship?

Mar 12, 21 4:46 am  · 
 · 
L.Stone

Also accepted but don't see any mention of $$

Mar 13, 21 12:02 pm  · 
1  · 
VediM

Hey Leigh, please let me know when you received anything new.

Mar 13, 21 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
juiceboxx

Also waiting to hear from USC. Hopefully good news.

Mar 14, 21 6:02 pm  · 
1  · 
L.Stone

@VediM I got $ notification from USC yesterday and it's meager considering their 2021-22 tuition is $60,440. And max I'll be eligible for in following years would be limited to 20% more than this award.

Mar 16, 21 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

M-Arch I at UPENN, Cornell, UC Berkeley, Rice or RISD !!!

Where would you go ? 

Mar 12, 21 11:55 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

All great schools, but the spectrum is so broad, give us some info on your interests. Work/research of interest, social justice, sustainability, building technology, etc...? Do you want to teach at some point? Do you care about more coveted faculty? Theory heavy or more practical? Do you have a preference on department population? Who's giving you how much (BIG DEAL) unless you don't care? Do you mind the 2.5 year vs 3.5 year differences in those schools, if you have the choice? add other things if you think of them

Mar 12, 21 12:58 pm  · 
2  · 
dt_cs

Guys, has anyone got into SCI Arc's M ARCH 2 program? Or Know when they will announce the results?

Mar 12, 21 12:30 pm  · 
1  · 
odhc86

I did not receive the mail, but I found the decision in the portal

Mar 13, 21 12:03 am  · 
1  · 
dt_cs

Did they mention anything about financial aid ?

Mar 13, 21 4:40 am  · 
 · 
odhc86

No, they didn’t mention anything thing even a congratulation

Mar 13, 21 6:43 am  · 
2  · 
juiceboxx

I got in with $$. Received official email and a phone call.

Mar 14, 21 6:03 pm  · 
1  · 
ccii

Yale vs. Princeton MArch II, any thoughts? Felt Yale's focuses align with mine more, but heard that they are in the middle of a curriculum experiment right now. Please help me out if you know more!

Mar 12, 21 12:33 pm  · 
1  · 
MTTS

You have two great choices, the two aren't all that different by comparison, so honestly look at the faculty, especially those who will teach the core studios, look at the money and choose. The only real differences are location, Princeton being more theory heavy and Princeton being smaller in number of students. I would personally choose Yale and in fact that is likely where I am going and just like you said, their program seems to be a better fit for me as well.

Mar 14, 21 9:15 am  · 
1  · 
ccii

Yes, I feel the faculty from Princeton is more toward the intellectual end while faculty from Yale are better at practice. For funding I received slightly more from Princeton. However, the difference is not huge and maybe Yale can match that. I am especially curious about the Design Research program from Yale's MArch II. Wondering what is the difference between that and a thesis and if I would have the choice to do studies of my interests with a faculty that I choose. I guess I will need to learn more about the schools at Open House. Nice to know you will probably go to Yale. And maybe see you there next semester if I also end up going.

Mar 14, 21 11:18 am  · 
1  · 
fireflyfirefly

Looking for help with RISD ($) vs UC Berkeley (TBD) both 3yr M.Arch: I have a CivE background so I'm looking for a less technical and more theoretical program. I like the hands-on focus of RISD and prefer to socialize with artists, but it is much more expensive than UCB with less prestige and PVD is objectively worse than the bay. Additionally, UCB has no summer program and will be in person in the Fall, RISD has an expensive remote summer program and is TBD for the Fall. However, my goal is to end up working on the East Coast doing socially or ecologically-focused work. Is there anything I'm missing that would help me make this decision?

Mar 12, 21 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
tofu911

I am struggling with a similar thing - but it sounds like the ethos of RISD is more up your alley. I would also say that Providence is kinda the ideal place to study. Its in a cute, cheap area, super close to Boston and NY which is good for connections. It's also associated with Brown and does have a pretty good name. But $ is really a big deal, so I would just wait for the open houses. I am deciding between UCLA and RISD, and it's difficult! I love the idea of being around art students, but have gotten considerably more funding for the former.

Mar 12, 21 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

@fireflyfirefly did you write to UCB requesting financial aid, or do they release this information on a later date ?

Mar 14, 21 1:31 am  · 
 · 
fireflyfirefly

@Spritzerrr I emailed their graduate aid department and was told the following: "It is our understanding that admitted students must accept the offer of admission for the system to request the financial aid information from FAFSA. Do not worry, you may always change your mind if you wish after receiving your financial information." I followed their instructions on the 11th and have not yet received aid info.

Mar 14, 21 2:47 pm  · 
1  · 
y920

Hi how are you going along with the decision making? I'm also trying to decide between RISD and UC and happen to have similar preferences.

Apr 4, 21 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
livefestival

GSAPP MSCCCP has anyone heard from them???

Mar 12, 21 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
bdouat

not yet!

Mar 13, 21 8:12 am  · 
1  · 
Jmtran

Still waiting!

Mar 13, 21 11:25 am  · 
 · 

anyone hear back yet? I saw an acceptance on grad cafe...

Mar 15, 21 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Jmtran

I received an email this morning to check the portal. I got in!

Mar 15, 21 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Zoidian

BS in Environmental Science/ UNC Chapel Hill/ Spring 2020

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL '

3.3 total; 3.6 advanced - Waived - Not Applicable

3 from Professors that knew me well

Talked about my journey to discovering my passion for landscape architecture, my research interests/goals, and how X school will help me achieve those goals

• Portfolio

Since I do have a design background, my portfolio was mostly art projects from a sculpture class I took in undergrad, as well as a project I did at one of UC Berkeley's summer programs.

• Schools

3-year MLA programs at: UPenn, Berkeley, UMich, UVA, Ohio State, UIUC, UWashington, and NC State

• Open house impressions

Didn't attend

• Results

Berkely - In (small $)

UPenn - Out

UMich - In (no aid yet)

UVA - In (small $)

Ohio State - In (no aid yet)

UIUC - In (no aid yet)

UWashington - Waitlisted

NC State - In (no aid yet)

• Tips

Start your portfolio early! I stupidly waited until the last minute to put my portfolio together, and it shows.

Mar 12, 21 11:32 pm  · 
1  · 
Zoidian

Oops, didn't realize this was the M.Arch thread haha

Mar 12, 21 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Kwatchin6

Anyone got thoughts on Penn vs UCLA?(both MArch 1 program) : I am an international student and hopefully I could earn more internship opportunites b4 graduation. Both programs are attractive and maybe Penn is more challenging and excting to me. Still, struggleing between  LA and philly for their furture job market. LA's got more design studios, big or small, philly's local market is not as promising yet closer to nyc.(personally prefer the vibe in east coast) Much appreciated for any tips!

Mar 13, 21 4:24 am  · 
 · 
snehalakshmi1

Hello all!

I’ve received a few options and waitlists! I was wondering if you guys would share your two cents! I am an international student and have been offered admissions at USC/UIUC/RISD( 2year advance placement), waitlisted at Cornell( MS AAD)/Umich.  I am interested in the idea/possibility of exploring if Digital design and fabrication technologies/ designing for disassembly could inform design ( particularly the low-cost housing landscape). I am also interested in research on new ways to influence behavior/psych with the background medium of architecture.

Right now I am leaning towards RISD ( I feel like opportunities with their industrial design program might help my aspirations. Their website wasn’t very informative, waiting for the open house to know more). Its associations with Brown and reputation might help with the job hunt. PVD proximity to NYC/Boston is a bonus.

USC/UIUC seem like a good options. Waiting for their open house to know more( Especially USC)

Cornell -Though, I am still waiting on Cornell( MSAAD), I believe that their RCL lab might be a great fit for me. The ivy status might help?

Umich- They seem to have great facilities/faculty/reputation.

Since I am an international student, how hard/ easy is it to land a job as an architect on graduation? Is the schools’ rank a deciding factor? I should be able to score an internship/co-ops, make connections and networks. Any input on the schools would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much for your time in advance!

P.S : Cost is not a concern right now. 

Mar 13, 21 9:13 am  · 
 · 
VediM

Hey, congratulations. Did you get any $ from USC?

Mar 13, 21 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
cortestan

BA Architecture / UdK Berlin / 2019

• GPA - GRE  - TOEFL '

1.7 (German 6-point scale) - n/a - n/a

3 academic + 1 employer

Talked about my path towards architecture through fashion + product design, internship / employment experiences and research interests

• Portfolio

Tailored to each school (ETH was most strict on format / solely wanted arch projects from uni, down to the Canadian schools that were looking for a more broad span (included art and other designed objects, film stills from movie I produced and acted in)

• Schools

ETH Zürich, EPFL, TU Berlin, UdK Berlin, McGill, UBC

• Open house impressions

Only saw a video of UBC's open house; gave a good impression and seemed to have a strong local / Pacific Coast focus in studios (environmentally and socially) which I appreciated. 

• Results

ETH Zürich - In

EPFL - waiting

TU Berlin - waiting

UdK Berlin - waiting

McGill - waiting

UBC - waiting

• Tips

Echoing the earlier comments about starting portfolio early! Choose one or two people whose judgement you trust who can give feedback and help with trimming and can comment on the structure, readability + flow. 

Mar 13, 21 10:28 am  · 
2  · 
tt27

Accepted at Carnegie Mellon for M AAS and M.arch2 with advance standing. Waitlisted at Sci-Arc. 

Any opinions on what I should do? Also what will be the job prospects for an international students after studying from CMU. 

Mar 13, 21 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Elcerrucho

Does anyone have thoughts/opinions about UC Berkeley and GSD's M.Arch I program that they could share with me?

I am interested in urban planning and really liked both programs because of their proximity to the urban/city planning departments. But now that I have been admitted at both, I would appreciate hearing any opinions from people more familiar with either or both schools.

Mar 13, 21 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
archsurvivor101

Has anyone else applied to the University of Toronto advanced standing M. Arch program and their application is still “under review”?

They seem to have sent out acceptances and rejections but mine still says under review?¿  

Mar 13, 21 10:34 pm  · 
1  · 
Spritzerrrr

I got an acceptance to the 3 year M-Arch a few days ago. not sure if that helps

Mar 14, 21 1:28 am  · 
1  · 
Edna Blimey

I applied to both advance standing M.Arch and the 3-year M.Arch. I got accepted to the 3-year one a few days ago but the advance standing one is still saying under review.

Mar 14, 21 3:03 am  · 
1  · 
Spritzerrrr

I got an acceptance a few days ago !

Mar 13, 21 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Spritzerrrr

I got an acceptance a few days ago !!

Mar 13, 21 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
DVL1809

Hello everyone! Any insights on UCLA vs Pratt? MSAUD at UCLA and MS Architecture at Pratt.

Mar 14, 21 12:07 am  · 
2  · 
lisa9834

getting anxious waiting for GSAPP

Mar 14, 21 9:54 pm  · 
11  · 
koratheexplorer

Yup, same. Really hoping they finally tell us tomorrow

Mar 14, 21 11:43 pm  · 
5  · 
archithoughts

same, still waiting.. but from last year's dates in grad cafe, seems like they will announce M.Arch one week after MSAUD acceptances..

Mar 15, 21 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
p3_g

When will MSAAD results come out? Anxiously waiting!

Mar 22, 21 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
ammarco

Hello everyone! For the MIT M.Arch program has anyone received an official letter from the department including funding? 

Mar 15, 21 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
IambicPentameter

I personally have not, but I was told by the department we should receive those this week!

Mar 15, 21 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
kx.rbz

did you both receive admissions via email or phone call, or both ? how far back did you receive the decision for M.Arch I?

Mar 15, 21 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
ammarco

I received a phone call from faculty member on March 1st. No email though.

Mar 15, 21 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
eyoung

Hey, msg for M.Arch I applicants: anyone else still waiting for Pratt, MIT, and Columbia? If I haven't heard anything yet, is that likely a sign of rejection?

So far waitlisted at Yale and Cornell and rejected from Penn.

Mar 15, 21 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
archithoughts

applied to GSAPP M.Arch, still waiting..

Mar 15, 21 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
RichardV

same. not sure if GSAPP M.Arch is out yet

Mar 15, 21 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
catnip_

haven't head from GSAPP either...

Mar 15, 21 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
MTTS

GSAPP hasn't released yet but MIT has finished sending acceptances, unl

Mar 16, 21 7:34 am  · 
 · 
Luques

@MTTS you seem to have lots of info about programs & depts - do you know why MIT waits sooooo long to send out rejections? It really is pretty ridiculous!!!!!!!

Mar 16, 21 8:59 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

I agree it is ridiculous, however I don't have a clue. If they accept anyone after this point it will be from the waitlisted people, so my only guess is that they could be concerned that the people on their waitlist might all decline them before they get enough numbers, so maybe it's their fail safe... or they just want to be jerks lol

Mar 16, 21 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Luques

I'd say both ... it's a fail safe and *they don't care* about the applicants that didn't make the cut, which makes them jerks lol. Is it your understanding that out of 30 MArch spots, only a handful are given to applicants wiith non-arch/non-design backgrounds?

Mar 16, 21 11:32 am  · 
 · 
MTTS

Not at all! They want a healthy mix of both. The higher ranked programs like GSD, GSAPP, MIT and others have a similar school of thought in terms of the desired pool of students. This in fact leads to design backgrounds being more heavily scrutinized, because their undergraduate portfolio is more than likely reflective of their true potential as a grad and their essays would likely reflect a clearer idea of the direction they want to go so if they doesn't fit what the school wants, they would be out much easier without debate. Another thing to know is that usually the committees will not have to debate much on 25 of the 30 spots, there will be clear candidates (at least that's how the story goes from people who have sat in admission committees.) That tells me that they don't have to do much negotiation between the two pools, even the non arch backgrounds can be competitive because, again, they want a healthy mix of both.

Mar 16, 21 12:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Spritzerrrr

still nothing from Columbia ? What are they doing to us !!!

Mar 15, 21 10:41 pm  · 
20  · 
RichardV

maybe today? Seems like the decisions for other programs are out already

Mar 16, 21 10:59 am  · 
1  · 
koratheexplorer

sigh...I just hope it's this week at this point

Mar 16, 21 12:09 pm  · 
4  · 
archithoughts

Haha ranting section here.. so nervous now :/

Mar 15, 21 10:59 pm  · 
1  · 
nunyakango

Has anyone heard back from the ITECH programme at University of Stuttgart(ICD/ITKE)? 

Mar 16, 21 2:25 am  · 
 · 
dt_cs

I think they will announce the results in April

Mar 16, 21 2:33 am  · 
 · 
cc20

BFA, GPA: 3.3,

In - Pratt $$, SAIC, USC $$

Out - Yale, GSD, UCB

Waitlist - RISD 

Any thoughts on which school should I attend for M.Arch 1? (Leaning towards USC) 

Mar 16, 21 2:32 am  · 
1  · 
Staceysmom

GSAPP out here playing gamess

Mar 16, 21 3:30 pm  · 
15  · 
orangepeel23

nocap

Mar 16, 21 4:11 pm  · 
1  · 
Dokuser

all I read was "GSAPP out" and got excited...

Mar 16, 21 4:14 pm  · 
4  · 
_N8_

I need my damn reject notification I can't stand this waiting

Mar 16, 21 4:50 pm  · 
15  · 
Staceysmom

mood

Mar 16, 21 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
_N8_

nocapp*

Mar 16, 21 5:34 pm  · 
2  · 
mahermoghrabi

Hello, any news about GSAPP MS in Urban Planning or MIT M.Arch II ? Thank you !!

Mar 16, 21 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
mahermoghrabi

Also for anyone who previously mentioned it Bartlett has started sending out decisions :)

Mar 16, 21 6:23 pm  · 
1  · 
ritarepulsa

MIT is exorcising me with each second it delays the notifications -_-

Mar 16, 21 6:55 pm  · 
1  · 
RichardV

I think some GSAPP MSUP updates went out last Friday

Mar 17, 21 8:59 am  · 
1  · 
mahermoghrabi

I still dont have anything on portal I know that some MSAUD went out on March 12 other than that nothing

Mar 17, 21 9:45 am  · 
 · 
kelseyjewel

I was waitlisted for GSAPP's Urban Planning program yesterday evening.

Mar 17, 21 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
miabarre_

I received my acceptance via portal 5 days ago

Mar 17, 21 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
vli29

Anybody heard from GSAPP's MSAAD course? Are the admits out yet?

Mar 17, 21 2:45 pm  · 
1  · 
miabarre_

I received my MSAUD acceptance via portal 5 days ago

Mar 17, 21 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
p3_g

I applied to the same. Haven’t heard from them yet, waiting anxiously. Has anyone else heard from them? Please do post updates.

Mar 22, 21 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
p3_g

I meant for MSAAD.

Mar 22, 21 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
orangepeel23

Just received my admission offer from GSAPP March 1

Mar 17, 21 4:51 pm  · 
2  · 
_N8_

How? Where?

Mar 17, 21 5:01 pm  · 
1  · 
orangepeel23

no email, just checked the portal

Mar 17, 21 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
archsurvivor101

did you get a scholarship by any chance?

Mar 17, 21 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
orangepeel23

no scholarship

Mar 17, 21 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
catnip_

anyone else check the portal yet?

Mar 17, 21 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
DR..

Didn’t get anything on email not on my portal.. seems like I’m rejected. Not surprised, considering my scores.

Mar 18, 21 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: