Archinect
anchor

Architectural Graphic Standards - Version

kaleksan

I've been thinking about getting Architectural Graphic Standards for a while but now looking closer at past 3 versions it seems that the later ones (both 11 and 12) have gone downhill in terms of content and 10th edition from 2000 somehow costs more than my first car... Just seeing who's using what and whether it's worth it...

Aug 14, 20 1:04 am
ivanmillya

I picked up 10th ed a year ago on Amazon for 200 bucks. How shitty was your first car?

Aug 14, 20 9:02 am  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

I have the 12th edition that I bought a few years back.  If you are not licensed/plan on getting licensed, it is a good resource.  I definitely use it at work when I need a starting point for detailing or specifying something I'm less familiar with.  

Aug 14, 20 9:23 am  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Got the eleventh ed. and it's perfectly fine.

Aug 14, 20 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

I don't think I've opened Graphic Standards in several years now, and would question how much use you'll get from any of them, given that nearly any information and detail is available online these days, but yes the 11th edition was a major departure from what Graphic Standards had traditionally been.  It eliminated a lot of useful content and details, seemingly in order to make the pages more uniform, sparser, and more aesthetically appealing.  So it depends on what you're going to use it for (if you're really going to use it at all): coffee table book/impress your clients and guests - then go with 11 or 12; reference for details and terms - then go with 10.

Aug 14, 20 1:30 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

My 10th edition makes a nice stand for my monitor.

Aug 14, 20 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I kick it old school. Tons of good information in there, no sifting through google's ad-supported, SEO distorted bullshit.

Aug 14, 20 2:26 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

that's the one i have

Aug 14, 20 3:45 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

let me know when you find a cheap copy of SMACNA.

Aug 14, 20 2:42 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Oh, man. I love and hate that book in equal measure.

Aug 14, 20 2:53 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Also copper and common sense.

Aug 14, 20 2:53 pm  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: