Archinect
anchor

COVID - 19 Thread Central

drums please, Fab?'s comment has been hidden
drums please, Fab?

Cuba's the best! Great literacy rate, too!

Mar 19, 20 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

There are people who attempt to build homemade rafts and risk death to escape. Sounds awesome.

Mar 19, 20 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet's comment has been hidden
revolutionary poet

wasn't this entire pandemic started by Communists and not contained accordingly...I guess we all need good communists once and a while to clean up all the bad communists handy work...? also, social medicine is clearly failing in Europe...So what was your point again besides a bunch of irrelevant bullshit that has nothing to do with architecture? like nothing. - architecture

Mar 19, 20 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

I can't help or argue with you. Cubans I met, love their country.

Mar 19, 20 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

And here I was worried this thread wouldn't devolve as usual....

Mar 19, 20 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

So we're doing all of this to "possibly" save .3% of the US population? And it's now being reported we might need to do this for a year? F That! There wont be anything left, what the hell are our leaders thinking?

Mar 20, 20 7:16 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You're not being smart, how are you still alive?

Mar 20, 20 8:34 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Really? The CDC is admitting that shelter in place won't stop or contain the virus. Yet we continue down a path with far greater consequences than the disease itself.

Mar 20, 20 8:57 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yeah, really. Just stop.

Mar 20, 20 9:04 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

You can cut numbers a lot of weighs, and you can use percentages (though yours are wrong), but we're talking about millions of people here. Can we save them all? No. Can we save a lot, yes. I for one think we should try.

Mar 20, 20 10:20 am  · 
 · 

I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Mar 20, 20 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This stupid bickering isn't why I created this thread, and I've participated. So, let's get back on track, shall we?

Do you think creating a Google Doc, because I don't think large CREs will be cooperative until they're nationalized, a spreadsheet of large scale commercial buildings that are unoccupied, with generators and enough electrical capacity to handle medical triage centers would be useful? Many of us perhaps know of, or work in - like me, buildings with empty/unoccupied suites that would be suitable for these environments.

More ideas...keep it going.

Mar 20, 20 9:03 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

so instead of something stupid like building a hospital in 10 days, utilize existing infrastructure? we could temporarily re-purpose hotels as well. i'm more concerned about getting jobs for those in retail/ hospitality that are getting shut down, or a workable UBI test.

Mar 20, 20 9:28 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Exactly curt, we have already existing stock available, perhaps a cursory survey could track what is already available? Additionally, many commercial buildings may have wider corridors, or easily modifiable corridors, to accommodate beds and stretchers, where hotels likely won't.

Mar 20, 20 9:38 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think hotels could be utilized to quarantine those diagnosed, but not requiring 24 hour care.

Mar 20, 20 9:41 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Georgia is already using hotels to quarantine folks.

Mar 20, 20 10:22 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i've been working on r-2 occupancies, not r-3, but isn't fresh air ventilation still a requirement?

Mar 21, 20 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Most small scale hotels utilize through-wall unit ventilators, there isn't enough room to run a shit ton of ductwork to rooms.

Mar 21, 20 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

Shopping malls? 

Big open spaces.  Loading docks.  Food Service Preparation locations already available. Big Parking lots for triage, driveup testing, or more support tents.  Of course there would be looting.  But all the stores are going out of business now anyway.

Mar 20, 20 11:55 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

MOA is ready and capable!

Mar 20, 20 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My tin foil hat just told me this is how Trump gets to decide what businesses fail and which get a seat on the ark.

Mar 20, 20 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

When will the TRUMPSTEAKS return, and Trump Brand hand sanitizer and toilet paper hit the shelves?

Mar 20, 20 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

We can all work for him for $5.50 an hour. Beautiful!

Mar 20, 20 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

how long is this social distancing really going to last?  We're about 4 days into the president's "15 days to slow the spread."  After that it's reassess, not necessarily go back to normal correct?   Any guesses?  3 months?  18 months?

Mar 20, 20 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think June, and then we reassess.

Mar 20, 20 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We’re 5 days deep here and I’m noticing a lot more traffic since yesterday. I think boredom is setting in and folks are looking to resume normal lives.

Mar 20, 20 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Not everyone is distancing. It's being taken pretty serious here, everything is closed except grocery stores. Grocery stores are out of some things but still have plenty Things not in stores are flour, milk, eggs, tp, rice. China isn't seeing too many new cases so it took them what like 3 months.

Mar 20, 20 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i hear it's pretty bad in colorado. our grocery stores are running out of stuff for no good reason. i went yesterday and pretty much everyone walking out had toilet paper. did they shut down liquor stores like pennsylvania? i think i read new york agrees liquor is an essential service.

Mar 20, 20 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

our gov delcared the need to keep booze going. it's still available and is now available for delivery. I think weed delivery is coming too.

Mar 20, 20 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i just heard a bar in omaha took over a food truck. they have liquor ice cream trucks now.

Mar 20, 20 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

curt, that may be more important than hospital beds...j/k...our maybe not?

Mar 20, 20 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

https://youtu.be/AQG6oUMQhKE?t=30

Mar 20, 20 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

I am working at firm in California, The company has been great and set up everyone with VPN to work from home. They have really been active in ensuring all the workers needs are met.  

I know some friends in medical sector are also having to find more hire's as they need to finish work for hospitals.

Mar 20, 20 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I am one million percent aware that this is no consolation to anybody affected by this pandemic (financial, health, or otherwise) but at least for my firm, we are doing well. 

We started last week by buying a bunch of laptops, and setting up VPN access for everybody in the firm who didn't already have it. We kept our doors open for those who wanted to stay working in our office (about 1/4). We're investing in video conference software and learning everything on the fly.

We haven't had any work fall through yet. Slow downs on construction sites, yes, but no cancellations. 

This week we interviewed for two senior positions and will make them both offers, because we're extremely busy. We haven't yet been hit hard by this virus, thank goodness. 

It's not all doom and gloom. Keep your heads up and your hands clean.

Mar 20, 20 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We’re being cautious here but nothing I know of has been put on hold or cancelled. We finally got our remote work from home set up on Thursday so it’ll be as close to business as usual for now.

Mar 21, 20 11:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks for this post bowling_ball!

Mar 21, 20 11:58 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

we've had a couple projects put on hold. it's entertainment, so their core business is shutting down along with restaurants and such. i'd like a better understanding of how this affecting different markets. residential and healthcare still seem strong. i assume retail and hospitality is hurting.

Mar 21, 20 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

curt, i think multi-family will come back on-line, once the heat turns down. I'm in justice, so that would seem stable.

Mar 21, 20 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

we do a lot of justice work. As far as I can tell, projects moving forward aren't interrupted. I don't know of anything new coming, but we're busy so if something did kick off we might not be able to staff it. I can't pop over the cubicle wall to ask what's going on with other teams anymore tho ugh.

Mar 21, 20 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

80% of our work is in multi residential and health care. You were on to something, Curt.

Mar 22, 20 12:39 am  · 
 · 

b3ta, did you get fed up and nuke jla-x? 

Mar 21, 20 11:31 am  · 
 · 

Reinstated now ... strange

Mar 21, 20 11:37 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Nope. He's back I see his shit posts.

Mar 21, 20 11:51 am  · 
 · 

With many of my firm’s offices located in places that have been ordered to shelter in place, they decided to close all of our offices and have everyone work from home, even in those locations where it hasn’t been ordered. I’m quite happy to see that, tbh. I was starting to suspect that individual PMs were asking people to come into the office anyway if there was a deadline approaching. 

Mar 21, 20 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yep. Running the gauntlet is tough on the psyche.

Mar 21, 20 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

We're still in office, 8-10 person firm.

Mar 23, 20 11:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Okay, here's my quandary; 

This is likely to be the norm - which gives me A LOT of comfort, and is easing my stress.

Mortgages Rents

Should I stop paying now? Wait until it hits my state? I've still got a job, I'm doing criminal justice work - so that could be stable? Cash is king, what are you all thinking about other debt? I've been through bankruptcy in the past, and came out on the other side faster than the 10 years often cited; hell I bought a home in 7 years.

Mar 21, 20 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My sources are telling me, the following; My brother-in-law works for Air Force Intelligence, and the word is they are shutting the country down within the week. National Guard in their state are being activated.

Mar 21, 20 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Wet Markets...bullshit.

Mar 21, 20 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
leonizer

good read. we really need to stop consuming wild game.

Mar 22, 20 12:42 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

no. Hunters are good and absolutely necessary. Don't eat deer with the wasting disease. Wet markets are probably not responsible for this viral outbreak, but they're bad and they need to be shut down.

Mar 22, 20 12:56 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Wet markets are TOTALLY responsible for this outbreak. These markets have species that are never meant to be together and consumed by humans. Sure, they have natural origins, but the wet markets is how they transferred to mankind.

Heres a good (if hard to watch) look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nZ4mw4mXw

https://www.vox.com/videos/2020/3/6/21168006/coronavirus-covid19-china-pandemic

I understand the need to not be racist at this time, but its important to understand that the culprit is humanity bringing these species together to consume them, not some vague construct of "these always exist"

Mar 23, 20 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

we never started calling it wuhan coronavirus. https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2015/naming-new-diseases/en/

Mar 24, 20 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Didn't realize WHO guidelines were "Chinese PR" now.

Mar 25, 20 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

[puts on tinfoil hat] ... but who do you think got the WHO to make it their guideline?

Mar 25, 20 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Death rate and hospitalization rate way over estimated:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...

Mar 22, 20 10:14 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

archi_dude Trump just tossed my generation under the bus last night. Well most of us anyhow. I'm sure there will be some cocktail you can get for a million dollars so Don and his wealthy buddies get thru the thing. However guys like me we be 6 foot under and if not busted broke.

Mar 24, 20 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And don't forget that we in this position because Trump denied that testing was needed early because he needed to write the story that this was a liberal media conspiracy and that he was a victim. 

Mar 22, 20 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I've gotten flack for saying the same. It's unbelievable that Trump's supporters think he's doing a great job. We are living in different realities.

Mar 22, 20 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Most people are mediocre. Don't care what they don't understand. Thinking and speaking is for those qualified to do so.

Mar 23, 20 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Hey, not sure if this is true, but someone on the contracting side want to chime in? My friend runs a medium-sized HVAC contracting company. He says that earlier this year, OSHA rules were amended to require firms to have a much larger capacity for n95 masks, forcing many firms to buy huge quantities. Since COVID, all of those supplies have gone "missing" as staff and field worker 'relocate' them to their homes. Thus, the national inventory of masks was drastically decreased shortly before the pandemic. Is this true?

Mar 22, 20 11:23 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The OSHA rule may it may not be true but PLEASE don’t fall for any conspiracy BS right now. If construction workers have grabbed some of those masks for themselves and families it’s perfectly normal behavior. Same with the toilet paper hoarding: when we hear of a shortage of something, our fear and self-survival instincts kick in and tell us we should get some of that thing. It’s slightly irrational but totally normal and absolutely doesn’t point to a high level conspiracy to create a shortage.

Mar 22, 20 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, I’ve spent 2 days in children hospital last week and all the supplies (masks and gloves) are hidden because patients are stealing them from the nurses in triage. How often does material from site walk away? Not a stretch to see this with high demand safety gear.

Mar 22, 20 11:31 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

We're fine on masks and no one has been taking them. And no, the reserves of masks were dwindled from the Californian and Australian wildfires last year. Also aside from recyclables that we encourage our workers to take and recycle and keep whatever they earn, material rarely walks off sites.

Mar 22, 20 11:46 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

However, if we are forced to shut down jobsites, that will probably become a massive issue and we are gearing up security for it.

Mar 22, 20 11:46 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

starting tuesday my local government is going to tell all residents they have to stay at home for 30 days except essential needs and services, which includes going to the grocery store.  currently restaurants can't allow dine-in service but they can continue operating with take-out or deliveries, so i assume that will continue.  i expect liquor stores will remain essential but i suppose that remains to be seen.  

i don't know if construction will continue.  if we stop building for 30 days it will cause some problems.  i do expect the building department to continue reviewing plans i sent them, but they will have to adjust to a work from home environment.

Mar 22, 20 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'm guessing construction does continue. https://www.latimes.com/homeless-housing/story/2020-03-21/coronavirus-construction-california-stay-at-home

Mar 22, 20 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

unless my local governments decide to follow boston's example, which would suck https://www.natlawreview.com/article/covid-19-coronavirus-concerns-prompt-two-week-halt-to-all-construction-boston

Mar 22, 20 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'm just going to keep replying to my own comment. this group is mapping out where construction is being shut down. could be useful if they keep it up to date: https://www.constructiondive.com/news/mapping-high-impact-construction-across-the-us/551042/

Mar 22, 20 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

That's a super helpful map, curtkram, thank you!

Mar 22, 20 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Great find curtkram, many thanks. I thought Pennsylvania had shut down all construction?

Mar 22, 20 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

San franscisco has shut down all construction

Mar 22, 20 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Our office is working on designs for San Francisco projects. won't be ready fro const. for months anyway

Mar 23, 20 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Factions are starting to form. Or maybe they were already formed, just showing more now.

Mar 23, 20 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

What factions?

Mar 23, 20 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Don't you watch movies? Like the people who are monitoring other people's behavior like those announcing that you can't walk on the sidewalk. Or those threatening with guns to protect their food and toilet paper.

Mar 23, 20 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Only ran into a few of those out here - mostly morons who don't know how to handle a firearm. Not the alt right people that live way out on their compounds - those nitwits are the reason I bought more ammo a couple of weeks ago.

Mar 23, 20 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

In my neighborhood the dog walking has ramped up *considerably* - like, I see five times more people out walking dogs now than I ever used to. And everyone is being very neighborly and polite to one another, all from at least 20' away.

Mar 24, 20 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Donna, I heard the dogs shelters are low on inventory because they are experiencing record numbers of adoptions!

Mar 24, 20 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have turned my dinning table into a drawing review station and noticed the same dogs pass by a few times this afternoon.

Mar 24, 20 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My pit keeps everyone at bey, unless Donna stops by, and then he sits on her lap.

Mar 24, 20 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Indiana now has a stay-at-home order, but "essential" construction can stay open. Weirdly, this now includes my husband, who is making some interior elements for an event space that has just been told their building might be conscripted into hospital overflow space!

Mar 23, 20 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
cncguy
All of my projects are still full steam ahead. They are considered “essential”. My only issue is that we are having a huge problem with guys showing up.
Mar 23, 20 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Had a job for a non profit shut down as of today. Construction just about to start. It'll happen eventually for sure, just not right now.

Mar 23, 20 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Let me ask this; what are ways that we contribute to the problem? How can we design in the present, and future, so that we use fewer materials that pull directly from the healthcare industry? One thing I thought of is stop specifying Tyvek, think about how much of this is used currently, and how much of it is taken out of circulation, and could be used for PPE. What about using fewer materials with high VOCs? That may mean fewer masks taken out of circulation, more natural materials for blown in insulation? 

I'm just thinking out loud, not suggesting this is total, or only, but part of a solution, and more than what the AIA is offering in their letter to members, Congress, and the President.

Mar 23, 20 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Well dang.  I think I'm getting sick.  It's probably just be stress from the house move and project management hell.  

Mar 24, 20 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it's also allergy season

Mar 24, 20 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I'm already on allergy medication.

Mar 24, 20 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

With my allergies, if I do get the plague I probably won't notice the difference until I'm about halfway dead.

Mar 25, 20 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

If you are working from home there are several tax deductions you can take. If your home office takes up 15% of the floor area of your home you can deduct 15% of the home's total electrical and natural gas bill as well as 15% of the city water and trash collection bill.  If you remodel the office you can deduct 100% of the remodeling costs. You can deduct 15% of general maintenance costs for the home. The phone bill is deductible also as is the internet service, if those are not reimbursed by your company. You can also take a depreciation on your home using the 15% which usually comes out to a few hundred dollars a year. And if your home is your place of business you can deduct travel expenses to the main office if not reimbursed by the company.  

These may add up to the point where it is better to take the itemized deductions rather than the new standard deduction. It is a pain to do it the first year, but after that you can use the previous year as a template and plug in the new year's numbers. 

Mar 24, 20 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

When I was self-employed I took every single one of these deductions. I also claimed every design magazine subscription, meal with a client, and pencil.

Mar 24, 20 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you would have to work from home most of the year, not just a month or two right?

Mar 24, 20 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You can prorate the deductions for the months you had a home office.

Mar 24, 20 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

from IRS Publication 587

Mar 24, 20 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

You’re correct that it really only applies to self-employed people using a portion of their home regularly and exclusively for business. Even if I was self-employed, I’m working in my home office that doubles as a guest bedroom. According the IRS document, that’s not exclusively for business.

Mar 25, 20 1:57 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You better have high utility bills and home office renovation costs to itemize and use this deduction.  I believe the standard married filing jointly deduction is what, $24,800?

Mar 25, 20 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

this is pretty cool. It goes through the timeline of what happened in Wuhan 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU9FVqwO4TM

Mar 24, 20 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yes, and also a healthy dose of chinese propaganda thrown in there...

Mar 25, 20 12:43 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

china is china. still though, they went through it first and it's best if we can learn from what they did there.

Mar 25, 20 7:59 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

you mean this china... https://youtu.be/bpQFCcSI0pU

Apr 11, 20 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

From the IRS website:  

"Additional tests for employee use. If you are an employee and you use a part of your home for business, you may qualify for a deduction for its business use. You must meet the tests discussed above plus:

• Your business use must be for the convenience of your employer.
  • You must not rent any part of your home to your employer and use the rented portion to perform services as an employee for that employer."

I think the above chart, although from the IRS website, is flat wrong. It is clearly contradicted by the above IRS information. 

Mar 25, 20 6:20 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Volunteer, that's exactly correct.

Mar 25, 20 8:12 am  · 
 · 

"As a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), for the tax years 2018 through 2025, you cannot deduct home office expenses if you are an employee. It's one of several changes affecting Schedule A (read about other changes here). Those changes are expected to be absorbed or mitigated by the doubling of the standard deduction."

For Many Taxpayers, Tax Reform Means No More Home Office Deduction - Forbes

Mar 25, 20 11:21 am  · 
 · 

"We've got some good news and bad news. The bad news? In years past, if you worked for a company (and received a W-2) but worked from home occasionally or full-time, you could claim a home office tax deduction. But not anymore.

"'There is a major change to the home office deduction: It is no longer available for company employees,' says Bill Abel, tax manager at Sensiba San Filippo in Boulder, CO. 'This has many remote employees frustrated.'"

How to Take a Home Office Tax Deduction When You Work From Home - Realtor.com

Mar 25, 20 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I don't doubt you but here is the current wording from the IRS https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/home-office-deduction

Mar 25, 20 11:55 am  · 
 · 

I see the current wording, I linked to it earlier. I'm just not sure it has been updated to reflect the changes made in the TCJA. That's why I also posted the flowchart detailing how to take the deduction from the IRS's document created for use when preparing your 2019 taxes. Conceivably, that document would reflect the changes. You can see from it that if you are an employee you don't qualify for the deduction.

Mar 25, 20 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

In fact it's in the forms I've seen from HR Block and others.

Mar 25, 20 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

This HR Block...?

"Note: Before 2018, employees could deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses, including the home office deduction if eligible, as miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A. For tax years 2018 through 2025, tax reform has eliminated the itemized deduction for employee business expenses. Thus, employees may not claim a home office deduction for these years."

Home Office Deduction Requirements - HR Block

Mar 25, 20 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Wait, you mean to tell me that Trumps "Jobs" act screws workers? WHAT?!

Mar 25, 20 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Everyday, again that's weird, I mean it doesn't apply to me, but I distinctly recall those questions on the form. It's strange.

Mar 25, 20 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

b3ta, I'll make roughly the same comment I made to gwharton in the COVID-19 layoff thread ... cite your sources if you can. I'm not trying to call you out as disingenuous or saying you don't recall what you say you recall, but without some type of citation or source material it's hard to take someone's word and assume it is correct when faced with multiple sources claiming otherwise. It's the same reason I'm skeptical of the IRS website Volunteer quoted. 

My gut thinks you recall it from a form prior to the TCJA going into effect. You could have seen it as recently as two years ago as you were preparing your 2017 taxes and it would have been correct. Even for 2018, maybe HR Block hadn't updated the form, but the professional preparing your return would have known to ignore it. Of course, I have no way of figuring that out for sure ... so take it only as speculation.

Mar 25, 20 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This should help clear up the confusion, it's a very specific instance;

Mar 25, 20 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

b3ta, what's the source of that clipping?

Mar 25, 20 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

From HR Block.

Mar 25, 20 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks b3ta, it would be nice to have a link, but I understand if it is part of the tax prep software or something that wouldn't allow a direct link. No need to get all crazy with bibliographic citations like Rick would like.

Mar 25, 20 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Everyday, that's exactly the case. It's in the application.

Mar 25, 20 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, calm down buddy. Go for a walk or something, staying 6 feet away from others of course.

Mar 25, 20 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Everyday, FWIW, it's part of the 2019 Q&A side panel.

Mar 25, 20 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Your business use must be for the convenience of your employer

I think the bold is instructive here. Not for your convenience, but your employer. I imagine they were getting a lot of people itemizing their spaces at home, but it was because they were choosing to work from home. I think that this is deliberately anti-woman, anti-parent, because much of the attraction for businesses is to offer telecommuting, as a method of employee retention.

Mar 25, 20 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You can no longer deduct home office expenses as an employee, even if the office is for the convenience of your employer. The instructions for the applicable form (8829) explicitly state that. The info on the IRS website regarding use of home office for employer convenience is unfortunately outdated.

Mar 25, 20 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Not to beat a dead horse but,

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/home-office-deduction

which says: 

"Additional tests for employee use. If you are an employee and you use a part of your home for business, you may qualify for a deduction for its business use. You must meet the tests discussed above plus:

• Your business use must be for the convenience of your employer." 

And at the bottom of the page: "Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 16-Jan-2020" Meaning that this is CURRENT guidance, if not the IRS had every opportunity to say so and reference the years for which it was applicable. 

Mar 26, 20 8:01 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Volunteer, so far we're in agreement, everything that has been cited seems to be self-employed forms, and not employer based. I think the deductible is similar to that deduction for mileage if the employer doesn't reimburse. Additionally, this forced telecommuting is definitely going to necessitate a change in the code.

Mar 26, 20 8:50 am  · 
 · 

Not to try and stop you from beating that horse ... also from that same webpage: “For a full explanation of tax deductions for your home office refer to Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home.”

Mar 26, 20 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Open the current version of Publication 587 and do a search for the word “employee,” “employer,” and “convenience,” and let me know what you come up with.

Mar 26, 20 10:00 am  · 
 · 

Once you've done that, open the 2017 version of the same publication and do the same searches to compare results. The reason I think it is still on the IRS website, is because (and I don't like that I'm saying this) as Rick pointed out earlier, the website is giving information for more than just the current tax year. So the text you keep coming back to is appropriate for tax years 2017 and earlier, but it doesn't apply for 2018 and later. 

I agree it would be better if the IRS would make that clear on the website, but to the credit of the bureaucracy, the IRS probably thinks they are being clear because they've stated that "for a full explanation [...] refer to Publication 587."

Mar 26, 20 10:58 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I like this this thread has devolved into pedantic arguments about tax breaks that will save you what, a couple hundred dollars? 

Don't be daft - just cheat on your taxes like our president.

Mar 26, 20 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Twitter is reporting that Michael Sorkin has passed away from COVID-19. I'm sad about this, I saw him speak at The Architecture Lobby Think-In a few years ago and he was great. 

Mar 26, 20 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

oh man, that's so sad. so bummed to hear that

Mar 26, 20 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

That's really sad, I heard him speak about 20 years ago. Good man.

Mar 26, 20 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
proto

WA just shut down construction

A cabinetmaker & a frequent GC for our jobs were told that they had to shut down & there would be $1k fine if they were found to be operating

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/washington-state-bans-construction-boston-extends-moratorium/574925/

OR can't be too far behind

Mar 26, 20 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

my county (Pitkin,CO) shut down construction too, until April 17. Who knows what's going to happen after that.

Mar 26, 20 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

I heard that AIA was pushing to get Gov. Inslee to clarify architects as an essential profession. Is that in part what prompted the clarification? Note they are conspicuously absent from the list of included professions in his clarification. Apparently Inslee doesn't think architects need to be on site to run CA?

Mar 26, 20 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Stunning (and scary) 3d imagery of a COVID-19 patient: The greenish-yellow parts are the infected parts:

https://www.gwhospital.com/res...

Stay home, everyone.

Mar 26, 20 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Doc Arch

The NYC Department of Design and Construction has halted all project from Design though Construction. Hopefully this ends soon. This is significant for NYC firms!

Mar 26, 20 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Where did you hear this news?

Mar 26, 20 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Doc Arch

I hope I have a job tomorrow

Mar 26, 20 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Doc Arch

Here is the announcement 

Mar 26, 20 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
tduds

I chuckled.

Apr 7, 20 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

anybody keeps shaving?

Apr 7, 20 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

Not with the same frequency or rugularity thats for sure. But same could certainly be said about a number of things...

Apr 8, 20 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nope. I have the whole « just woken up from under the overpass grundys jesus » look down.

Apr 11, 20 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Apr 11, 20 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

do I want to know what balkins said?

Apr 13, 20 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

JLC, it's just balkins explaining his grooming practices in light of all the video conferencing he believes he's doing.

Apr 13, 20 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Here's some things to do. 

1. Complete your CEUs. There’s always a rush to get CEUs completed before licenses expire. Do them and more now. There are many free courses on the internet that will benefit your practice.
  2. Study areas of practice or design you believe will benefit you and your present or future firm. Amazon and USPS still deliver books.
  3. Dust off your resume and update it. Work on it…hard, very hard. If you have already been laid-off, get it in front of the right people at other firms now. Get a dialogue going with prospective employers and recruiters now. Check online hiring pages. Archinect, your local AIA job board, and others do show job openings. Connect with every recruiter you can find. Renew acquaintances with friends now. Find out what is happening at other firms. You must work at this as if it is your regular job...and harder.
  4. Send your information directly to principals. Several at the same firm won’t hurt. You can easily Google their email addresses. Forget about submitting through online job portals that screen your resume. You are good enough and qualified to communicate with the top people directly. Get a dialogue going.
  5. Participate in your local professional organizations to the most possible. There are webinars and Zoom meetings. Write to the speakers and panelists after the presentations. Let them know who you are.
  6. Linkedin, Facebook, and other networking sites are your business partners. They are not for connecting with friends. They are free marketing platforms and opportunities to showcase you and your work. There are sites online with good free advice on how to max out their potential.
  7. Clean up the junk on your computer. The more junk you have the slower your computer performs. With many more people slowing down the internet during all hours of the day, this may be beneficial. Besides, if it is a company computer you should not have personal stuff on it anyway. And, if it is your computer, it doesn’t hurt to keep it clean.
  8. If you are your firm, review your marketing materials. Update as needed. The business and client world will be very different in two or more months. Consider what market sectors may be hot in the future and plan. Be flexible!
  9. Respond to more proposals. You’ve got the time and need the work. Public agencies continue to release RFP/Qs noting submissions and reviews will be done electronically. Never considered public sector work? Bond and other monies are already dedicated to projects. Think again. Competition will be fierce. You will need to separate yourself from the herd.
  10. Write a monograph or magazine article. Get yourself and your ideas noticed. Architects are talented and smart and have knowledge that benefits others. Your articles may not get selected but, who knows. Put them on your company website or on your or someone elses blog. Share with clients, associates, and potential employers.
  11. Enter competitions. Most have not been cancelled. Submissions and reviews are electronic. Whether you win, place, show, or not put it on your website, in your portfolio, and resume.
  12. Reconnect with past clients and reach out to new potential clients. Start going through the thousands of business cards you have accumulated over the years.
  13. Revisit your insurance. My broker mentioned how few architects have force majeure clauses. He noted there should be specific mention of epidemics and pandemics – never know about the future. With the drop in revenue you might save a few bucks too.
  14. Have online meetings with your team, with friends and business associates. A friend in marketing has scheduled online ‘happy hours’ twice a week. It’s BYOB, of course. Zoom is free.
  15. Connect with consultants. Think of them as partners. Meet new engineers and specialty firms. They are in the same boat as you and will welcome the opportunity to meet potential clients.
  16. After every recession new firms have appeared. If this is in the cards, start getting your practice together. Start marketing yourself and your new firm. Incorporate! Become an SBE, MBE, WBE, etc. Now!!!
  17. Make a career move. Move laterally to construction management, learn design-build, forensics, sales, product design, and more. A friend now designs packaging for Whole Foods and other brands. Another does custom woodwork.
  18. Exercise. Be healthy. I read of people who ran marathons on their balcony. Be diligent. A healthy body yields miraculous results in your life.
  19. Have hope! This sounds easy to say and it is. Whatever your religion, philosophy, or if there is a motivational guru that turns you on and picks you up, you need daily inspiration. Check out Tony Robbins. He’s on YouTube and free. Try ‘Think and Grow Rich’. The philosophy is real. Wake up each day with the thought ‘Today is the greatest day of my life’ and it will be.

Apr 13, 20 9:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

and when all this fails, remember that Walmart always needs front door greeters.  Also worth noting, Tony Robins is just another form of snake-oil salesman.  Perfect if you've easily influenced by low-effort platitudes and general statements.

Apr 13, 20 9:13 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I'm building an archery range in my back yard, dose that count?

Apr 13, 20 10:43 am  · 
 · 
audigaudi

I was laid off on March 20th when my higher ed projects started going on hold.  https://www.reddit.com/r/architecture/comments/fxxli9/laid_off_or_know_someone_who_has_ask/

I would highly suggest becoming a member of the Architect's Lobby, a group making an effort to provide a Union for us: https://www.facebook.com/architecturelobby/

Also, if you're on Facebook or LinkedIn please feel free to request to join the A + D Industry [support group] where we aim to have sponsored happy hours and virtual meet and greets!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/527027667838189/

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12394449/

Apr 13, 20 11:15 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Bump

Jan 18, 22 12:34 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

whyyyy

Jan 18, 22 7:45 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I did it because like covid variants that shit is getting smeared on all threads, at least here, we can try to contain, get herd immunity, and kill future variants.

Jan 18, 22 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Don't project your lunacy on me. You advised people to become disease vectors to end a pandemic of the same disease they are disease vectors of. You are like the drunk who tries to drink himself sober and wonders why everyone else thinks he is crazy.  I simply can't understand  why you are still allowed on this site.

Jan 18, 22 7:22 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

There's no evidence that Sweden succeeded in Herd Immunity, that is a factually deficient statement.

Sweden 

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/no-evidence-low-covid-19-case-rate-in-sweden-due-herd-immunity-vaccines-dont-create-variants-the-blaze/

Jan 18, 22 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Another way to achieve herd immunity is through mass vaccination.

Jan 18, 22 7:49 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You've stated that you have natural immunity, for that to be true, you would've had to have all three COVID versions. Are you immune from the next variant?

Jan 18, 22 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

I am seriously worried about your mental state. You need to leave archinect of your own volition. I have said everything I have had to say. Please take my advice. Calm down watch a movie or something.

Jan 18, 22 7:53 pm  · 
3  · 
tduds

Somebody owes me $100

5  · 

Wasn't there another covid thread where jla and rick got themselves nuked? Can we bump that one instead?

Maybe it doesn't matter. It's only a matter of time I suppose before they get themselves banned from this one too.

1  · 
tduds

It's every. fucking. thread with those two. It always gets pulled into a comically abstract debate about capitalism or covid. Just delete their accounts and let us have our forum back.

Jan 18, 22 7:54 pm  · 
2  · 

This thread was much better when we were arguing about tax deductions. How did that work out for all of you all that thought you could deduct your WFH expenses?

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

But Sweden? Didn't they do a national effort at herd immunity, isn't that a policy?

Herd immunity is, by its very nature, an acceptance of substantial numbers of dead; a variation on death panels with zero accountability.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

No, that quote is from two days ago.

Jan 18, 22 8:06 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

No policy, is a policy.

Jan 18, 22 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

unfortunately herd immunity doesn't work with a virus that can reinfect like COVID, it might work for the season but since those seasons alternate on our non-flat planet it will just come back the next time.

Jan 19, 22 7:13 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

To continue from the mess in the bubble thread:

The COVID vaccines don't fully protect against contracting COVID and don't protect against infecting others. Triple vaxxed people are getting COVID and are getting sick and are infecting others, I know some in my bubble(s) that got it (again) being vaxxed. They might not get too sick and might not die from COVID themselves, but they are still spreading COVID around. Over 86% of the population here is vaxxed, we just ended a December/holiday lockdown and just last week over a record nr of 240.000 new cases of COVID. So please inform yourselves before you are demanding people to hand over proof or scientific facts, or just go out with your flimsy paper mask and your triple jabs among an indoor crowd of people while maintaining your magical 6ft, oh and destroy your hands with alcohol in the process, that will show COVID! 

Truth is, vaccinated people are still contracting COVID, still infecting others with COVID and face masks don't really protect against COVID, just look at the staff on the COVID ward turning over people onto their belly, are they wearing just a face mask or do they look like they're making a journey to the bottom of the ocean? And those 6ft (it's 1.5m over here) don't help against aerosols, they might do something with droplets wearing those flimsy masks, but not with aerosols. You need to remove those aerosols with proper (mechanical) ventilation or remove yourself from an area with all those aerosols. I'm not telling anything new or radical or extreme, that's just how the virus behaves and what we see happening wave after wave. You might be predisposed  to blame it all on the Trumpist, antimask, antivax crowd, always feels good to blame someone (else), but COVID doesn't care it will gladly infect you too, and if you think it won't because you are vaccinated, wear a face mask and keep 6ft distance you are only fooling yourself and the people close to you. 

Only chance for us is that Omicron and hopefully the ones after that are making people less sick so you don't end up in hospital or the morgue, and it will be like living with the influenza virus as a society, get your flu and covid shot during the season to protect yourself as well as possible if you feel like it and keep calm and carry on.

Jan 19, 22 7:10 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

​The flu shot does not lead to myocarditis, which can be fatal or lifelong debilitating. There are manifold other side effects that have been observed from taking the shots. Many researchers have recommended that in no circumstances should children or women of child-bearing age be given the shots. Some European countries expressly prohibit children from receiving the shots. People who have the antibodies from previously having the disease and recovered have antibodies so they do not need the shots either.

Jan 19, 22 9:03 am  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Almost 95% of vaccine-linked myocarditis cases were mild, but one fulminant (sudden and quickly escalating) case was fatal. Surveillance occurred from the vaccine's market introduction, Dec 20, 2020, to May 31, 2021.

Again for the dipsticks in the room.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/10/covid-vaccine-related-myocarditis-rare-usually-mild-studies-say

Because a thing happens, does not mean it's fatal, or happening to a broad spectrum of people. 

It's rare, and recoverable.

Jan 19, 22 9:23 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

N95 masks work. Vaccinations, work.

Jan 19, 22 9:25 am  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Myocarditis can be a devastating lifetime debilitating illness. There is no benefit whatsoever from injecting children with the COVID shots.

Jan 19, 22 9:37 am  · 
randomised

And a side-effect of COVID is death...I'll take my chances with those vaccines Volunteer ;-)

Jan 19, 22 9:39 am  · 
 · 
square.

There is no benefit whatsoever from injecting children with the COVID shots.

stop posting (inane) opinions as facts - this is the problem with "debate" today.

Jan 19, 22 9:40 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

And about masks, they're called N95, not N100(%)
"The results indicate that the penetration of virions through the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)-certified N95 respirators can exceed an expected level of 5%. As anticipated, the tested surgical masks showed a much higher particle penetration because they are known to be less efficient than the N95 respirators. The 2 surgical masks, which originated from the same manufacturer, showed tremendously different penetration levels of the MS2 virions: 20.5% and 84.5%, respectively, at an inhalation flow rate of 85 L/min. Conclusion: The N95 filtering face piece respirators may not provide the expected protection level against small virions. Some surgical masks may let a significant fraction of airborne viruses penetrate through their filters, providing very low protection against aerosolized infectious agents in the size range of 10 to 80 nm. It should be noted that the surgical masks are primarily designed to protect the environment from the wearer, whereas the respirators are supposed to protect the wearer from the environment." https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16490606/

Jan 19, 22 9:43 am  · 
SneakyPete

It comes as no surprise that archinects Venn diagram of general stupid and covid misinforming stupid is a circle.

Jan 19, 22 9:53 am  · 
3  · 
square.

"well this seat belt doesn't save lives 100% of the time, so i might as well not wear it at all."

Jan 19, 22 9:58 am  · 
4  · 

“I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.”
STERLING HAYDEN - Brig. Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Jan 19, 22 10:01 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes random, a study done in 2006, which of course means, science stopped, research stopped, and we can never learn anything doing more research. Is that what passes for thinking? A random citation, from a guy named random?

Jan 19, 22 10:09 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"Only 2 cases per 100,000 vaccinees
In the other NEJM study, researchers looked at data from Israel's Clalit Health Services, which covers about 52% of the total population and is approximately representative of the country's socioeconomics and coexisting disease prevalence.

Overall, the investigators found 2.13 myocarditis cases per 100,000 people—again, about a 0.002% incidence—with the highest incidence in men 16 to 29 years old, where it was 10.69 cases per 100,000 people, or a 0.011% incidence (95% CIs, 1.56 to 2.70 and 6.93 to 14.46, respectively).

Out of more than 2.5 million vaccinated people 16 and older, 54 myocarditis cases linked with the Pfizer vaccine were identified, with 41 mild (76%), 12 intermediate (22%), and 1 that was linked to cardiogenic shock."

Jan 19, 22 10:39 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Volunteer I hope you don't put your kid in a car. Those things are deadly.

Jan 19, 22 11:02 am  · 
4  · 

LOL

Please tell me you guys are doing this as a bit to pay homage to that video of Joe Rogan getting fact checked in real time on his podcast about his myocarditis claims, and not because it is such an apt reflection of what happens in every corner of the internet.

Jan 19, 22 1:13 pm  · 
2  · 

*adding clarification if it's not clear: the thing that happens in every corner of the internet is unqualified people using cherry-picked information to score ego points in useless arguments. It would be one thing if this was "medinect" or something, but AFAIK, none of us are medical professionals so maybe we should be listening to them rather than trying to be them.

BTW, I found a forum once for medical professionals and it was only open to licensed MDs who where adding their opinions on their focuses and specialties and it was amazing. Helped me find an answer to a question that was really pressing at the time and actually trust my doctor more. I wish I could remember what site it was.

Jan 19, 22 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey... if ya'll have so much free time... can I offload a few projects? Pretty simple tasks really, compensation is in experience, off course.

Jan 19, 22 2:01 pm  · 
3  · 

Yeah me too. I have three projects in the mountains of Colorado that need DD finished by the beginning of March. Not only would you all gain experience but I'd send each of you a case of Colorado beer of your choosing.

Jan 19, 22 2:04 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm going to form a union of forum posters to combat the blatant exploitation NS and Chad are trying to establish.

Jan 19, 22 2:34 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I'd join that union

Jan 19, 22 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

You can't. You're obviously one of the manager/supervisor class. Sorry

Jan 19, 22 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

I've already established a union to combat the exploitation that NS and I are attempting.

Jan 19, 22 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"Yes random, a study done in 2006, which of course means, science stopped, research stopped, and we can never learn anything doing more research. Is that what passes for thinking? A random citation, from a guy named random?"

what's your problem now? I show you the scientific evidence that the N95 filtering face piece respirators may not provide the expected protection level against small virions, and that's all you've got? The masks didn't magically become better because of time, or more research. It's a standard. They're using and advising what's readily and off the shelf available, knowing full well that it doesn't provide the expected protection level against small virions. But whatever dude, use it to your advantage, or not. While we are getting boostered ad infinitum some people in some parts of the world are still waiting for their first dose, COVID's here to stay, deal with it or whine and point fingers all the same. Cheers!

Jan 19, 22 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Do you think it's possible that we can agree on one fucking thing? That as evidence changes, based on science, our understanding of the world changes, and that perhaps, just perhaps something that may have been studied once, in 2006, may not be relevant to current 2021-2022?

Jan 19, 22 3:58 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that chart is largely bullshit.

Jan 19, 22 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

doctors and nurses on the covid wards are double masking, using goggles and gloves, but go ahead…

Jan 19, 22 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Rando I'm not really sure what your point is.

Jan 19, 22 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

why is it that when taken out of context, his statement makes even less sense. Of course they are doubling up, you stated it yourself; they're in COVID wards. Generally speaking the average person is not.

I'm sitting in a coffee shop, fairly well distanced, will put mask on when I leave.

As for the chart, I'm not sure what the concern is, it's from the CDC, and while yes, largely a generalization, it's also indicative of the larger point; N95 masks work.

Jan 19, 22 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I tried to find my initial source and it's buried somewhere in the annals of twitter. I'll be sure to post it if I can track it down but... 

1) Yes it's indicative of the point. 

2) I don't believe the CDC made the chart, I believe the CDC made some claims that the chart-maker extrapolated upon to make the chart. 

3) If I remember correctly they simply took one figure from CDC research and multiplied it by the level of filtering each type of mask provides. It's a mathematical extrapolation, not based in any kind of experimental data. 

4) My issue with things like these is that while they aren't "wrong" per se, they are inaccurate enough that skeptics can dismiss them and be correct, which undermines the larger point one is trying to prove. 

Jan 19, 22 7:45 pm  · 
1  · 

Not sure what you saw tduds, but this gets to many of your points I believe: https://www.cbs17.com/community/health/coronavirus/fact-check-are-you-reading-this-covid-mask-chart-the-wrong-way/

Jan 19, 22 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You're correct, the data is from the CDC the chart only seeks to distill the information in a readily digestible graphic. However, what I can glean from the chart, I'm the broadest way possible, is my relative safety based on some casual assumptions about my current circumstances. I don't read it and think, well if I attend a concert, I'm safe if I wear x. I'm just not going to concerts, right now, and the variable is everyone else, not me. I'm looking at my current activities, and making calls based on the conditions, environment I'm in at that moment. For example, when I need to go to the hospital, I'm wearing N95, Costco N95, coffee shop, cloth. Y, it varies.

Jan 19, 22 7:57 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Tduds, my point is they send us out shopping, to the office and to school with just a simple surgical mask recommendation or only a N95 mask, which is not enough protection against this virus as you can see the experts in full gear when confronted with a covid patient. But whatever, no point in beating a dead horse or throwing more pearls to the swine. If people think they’re protected enough like that and get sick and infect others, that’s not on me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jan 20, 22 4:41 am  · 
 · 
randomised

also would love to see a proper scientific test where they have a willing participant wearing an N95 mask for 100+ days AND nights...2500hrs transmission time ;-)

Jan 20, 22 8:27 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Talk about non-critical. Hey, how's that experiment going on in Amsterdam, with hair salons in music halls and museums? Is that another Dutch masterpiece?

Jan 20, 22 8:56 am  · 
1  · 
square.

my point is they send us out shopping, to the office and to school with just a simple surgical mask recommendation or only a N95 mask, which is not enough protection against this virus as you can see the experts in full gear when confronted with a covid patient.

that's not the only recommendation - masking is supposed to be used as the "last resort" defense; normal people, in everyday environments, who are not responsible for the intimate health care of other individuals, are also supposed to use distancing and ventilation, which have a greater effect in reducing transmission than masking alone.

again, the health worker example is a gross conflation; if it was your job to be within 1ft-phyiscal contact of people, who are known to be sick, all day long, then you better be wearing as much protection as possible.

you've got to be able to think more critically than this...

Jan 20, 22 9:51 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

Maybe I'm some kind of supergenius but I've never found multivariable risk assessment all that hard.

Jan 20, 22 11:17 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

Y'all wanna play some poker?

Jan 20, 22 11:18 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

tduds, exactly. Which is why the Costco I go to, outside of Minneapolis, where people cover their pieholes with either all manner of covering, or none at all, has me doing N95, and my coffee shop in my hood, has me a little more flexible. Concerts, the one public activity I really miss, yeaaaah, not right now. Hoping for April...??

Jan 20, 22 12:43 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

"Talk about non-critical. Hey, how's that experiment going on in Amsterdam, with hair salons in music halls and museums? Is that another Dutch masterpiece?"

What about that experiment that's not happening at all in Amsterdam? Nice diversion tactic though...

Jan 20, 22 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"that's not the only recommendation - masking is supposed to be used as the "last resort" defense; normal people, in everyday environments, who are not responsible for the intimate health care of other individuals, are also supposed to use distancing and ventilation, which have a greater effect in reducing transmission than masking alone."

Sure...as a costumer you are able to control the ventilation situation of a supermarket, or as an employee...dream on. "again, the health worker example is a gross conflation; if it was your job to be within 1ft-phyiscal contact of people, who are known to be sick, all day long, then you better be wearing as much protection as possible."

You don't need to be within 1ft for COVID-aerosols going from person to person and infecting people, with droplets yeah a bit of distance helps, with aerosols distance is not as important as proper, expensive, ventilation. "you've got to be able to think more critically than this..."

I'm not the one with the critical thinking issue.

Jan 20, 22 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

"Which is why the Costco I go to, outside of Minneapolis, where people cover their pieholes with either all manner of covering, or none at all, has me doing N95, and my coffee shop in my hood, has me a little more flexible. Concerts, the one public activity I really miss, yeaaaah, not right now. Hoping for April...??"

But b3ta, I thought those N95 masks were safe and worked like a charm, yet you cover yourself like a mummy in a burqa to go shopping, guess you don't trust yourself what's apparently perfectly safe for others, seems a but hypocritical to me, but better safe than sorry, my point exactly!

Jan 20, 22 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Random, are you OK? Where did I say I wear a burqa? I wear, N95 at Costco, where they, and the city have zero mandates, and am manner of people are doing anything. Your reading of English is very deficient.

Jan 20, 22 3:50 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

I’m okay beta, just misread your post, or perhaps you moderated your post after I read it, but probably not I hope. Anyway, no need to get your panties all twisted up like that unless you’re j to that sort of thing of course.

Jan 20, 22 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My pantaloons are fine. I'm just worried about you.

Jan 20, 22 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Thanks I’m fine, I just read different words than were written, all that 5D chess I’m playing on top of a kid refusing to fall asleep and another that was coughing and developing a fever I just wasn’t on top of my game…

Jan 21, 22 3:07 am  · 
 · 

From frequently asked questions on the CDC website.

You should get a COVID-19 vaccine even if you already had COVID-19.

Getting sick with COVID-19 offers some protection from future illness with COVID-19, sometimes called “natural immunity.” The level of protection people get from having COVID-19 may vary depending on how mild or severe their illness was, the time since their infection, and their age. No currently available test can reliably determine if a person is protected from infection.

All COVID-19 vaccines currently available in the United States are effective at preventing COVID-19. Getting a COVID-19 vaccine gives most people a high level of protection against COVID-19 even in people who have already been sick with COVID-19.

Emerging evidence shows that getting a COVID-19 vaccine after you recover from COVID-19 infection provides added protection to your immune system. One study showed that, for people who already had COVID-19, those who do not get vaccinated after their recovery are more than 2 times as likely to get COVID-19 again than those who get fully vaccinated after their recovery.

People who were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma or people who have a history of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in adults or children (MIS-A or MIS-C) may need to wait a while after recovering before they can get vaccinated. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

Jan 19, 22 9:36 am  · 
2  · 

I'm amazed at the amount of 'research' x-jla has been able to do on this. We've got organizations like the CDC that have spend millions of man hours on this subject but x-jla has managed to spend even more time and has a better understanding of the subject.

Jan 19, 22 5:55 pm  · 
2  · 

It's camouflage.

Watch a movie with your kids or take them to the park anything but archinect.

Jan 19, 22 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

Who the hell spends time on Archinet when they're outside of the office?

Jan 19, 22 6:22 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

God.

I'm trying to understand. Is it possible to win the lottery, if you bet on all the numbers, but on separate tickets?

Jan 19, 22 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

So can’t stand it he delivered?

Jan 20, 22 4:37 am  · 
 · 

These articles do not conflict with what I posted. If you don't know how to read and interpret science articles you should not post them. Cherry picking with a non critical eye is not the way to do it.

Jan 20, 22 7:59 am  · 
 · 
randomised

true, the cherry picking of b3ta with his non-critical eye is not the way to go, or what do you mean z?

Jan 20, 22 8:28 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's a news piece, I selected the caveat the CDC noted, because if you only read the headline, you get a skewed take. Oh, and all the citations selected by Jlax, are the same piece of writing, almost literally. So, the cherry picking, is not done by me, but by the one supposedly critical of msm.

Jan 20, 22 9:01 am  · 
 · 

These are not replicated, controlled experiments, they can be confounded on a number of variables, data indicates time, severity of infection, age can effect degree and length of immunity. Even if true asymptomatic transmission is possible. What does all that mean? Follow the guidelines by the CDC. If you don't know what they are Google them. You might find the myth section enlightening.

Jan 20, 22 9:04 am  · 
 · 

I'll believe the CDC over some landscape designer when it comes to diseases.

Jan 20, 22 10:15 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Weren't you going to take a break, xlax?

Jan 20, 22 10:26 am  · 
3  · 

I guess you have to get the last word. Try this: Let me ask everyone's indulgence. You make the last reply specific to my comment on this post only. Everyone else can reply on other posts except this one. You get a last word and everyone else can continue on this thread. Please watch a movie with your family.

Jan 20, 22 10:30 am  · 
 · 

I'm at the office. Watching a movie with my wife and dog wouldn't be possible.

If x-jla posts something stupid and I see it I'll call him out on it.  

Troll score 3  (T3)

Jan 20, 22 11:08 am  · 
1  · 

That was meant for xjla. Anyway he didn't take my advice.

Jan 20, 22 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"More evidence is needed on the use of the different COVID-19 vaccines in children to be able to make general recommendations on vaccinating children against COVID-19."

This is from the World Health Organization website.

Jan 20, 22 9:37 am  · 
 · 
square.

yes - this demonstrates much more nuance than "There is no benefit whatsoever from injecting children with the COVID shots." and you even included a source (well - you mentioned it, but didn't provide a link). good job.

Jan 20, 22 9:48 am  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Sweden’s health ministry announced on Wednesday that it was pausing injections of Moderna’s vaccine for those aged 30 and younger. Denmark announced a similar pause for those aged 18 and younger, according to Bloomberg.

and:

Finnish health official Mika Salminen said the government was pausing injections of Moderna’s vaccine into males aged 30 and under. All three countries cited evidence that Moderna’s vaccine may be a source of myocarditis, or heart inflammation, in young people. Brussels Times

Jan 20, 22 9:54 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Good thing there's two other vaccines then, right? Also don't read the side effects of your medicatiion. You won't like it.

Jan 20, 22 10:24 am  · 
1  · 
square.

x-junkie coming back for one more hit

Jan 20, 22 11:12 am  · 
2  · 

"1 in a billion risk of death is not fine" . . . .

T0.  Come on x-jla, you can do better.  Try harder

Jan 20, 22 11:15 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Why you won't go away?

Jan 20, 22 11:25 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

We could all agree to ignore him and it'd be like he went away.

Jan 20, 22 11:28 am  · 
3  · 

"No deaths are acceptable if something is forced. What don’t you understand?"

T0

Try harder little troll. 

Jan 20, 22 11:29 am  · 
1  · 

T0. Try harder.

Jan 20, 22 11:31 am  · 
2  · 

T0. Try harder.

Jan 20, 22 11:39 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

lol no you don't. you'll be back.

Jan 20, 22 11:41 am  · 
2  · 

Looking at things from a individualist liberal ideology instead of a collectivist communal ideology has worked out so well in the past: https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

p.s. if you don't want to read it from that particular media outlet, just google it. Lots of sites to choose from.

Jan 20, 22 11:58 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: