3. Construction Administration 

4. Food supplies 

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/op...

Mar 8, 20 1:50 pm

6 Featured Comments

All 126 Comments

b3tadine[sutures]
Koww

perfectly apropos link, just read to the end where the author says they are not a medical expert

Mar 8, 20 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I don't know why you skipped the beginning.

"I’m an expert on online disinformation, misinformation, and mathematics relevant to disease transmission. Recently I’ve been answering a lot of common questions about Covid-19 on social media, trying to dispel misconceptions and falsehoods. I’ve compiled a list of the most common responses, with the hope that this makes this information more easily accessible to others. Note: I am not a public health or medical professional, however, I have taken extra care to square all my responses here with official guidance and medical advice."

Mar 8, 20 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

so, not a licensed professional? someone with knowledge of mathematics "relevant" to the situation?

Mar 11, 20 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Are you okay? You don't think a scientist with a relevant understanding mathematics and disease transmission is professional enough to suss this out in a cogent manner?

Mar 12, 20 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don’t drink corona, ever, so I don’t need to worry. 

Mar 8, 20 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Limes are for gin and tonics.

Mar 8, 20 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

If ever I've been forced to drink Corona, I prefer lemon.

Mar 8, 20 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If ever I'm forced to drink Corona, I prefer Dos Esqui.

Mar 8, 20 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Science vs.

Mar 8, 20 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

found out on Friday that Lawrence Garbuz was at meetings with people from our office just before he became NYC's patient zero.    i only know because hr told me off the record over lunch.  leadership is hiding this from the rest of the staff because they don't want to lose billable time and we're not set up for remote work

Mar 8, 20 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

This seems illegal.

Mar 9, 20 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Wow...

Mar 9, 20 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Office got calls halting work and canceling future work.

IT'S HAPPENING!!! 

Spruce up those resumes.

Mar 9, 20 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I do feel a slight tingle in my throat. perhaps we need to quarantine this response.

Mar 9, 20 8:52 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

resumes for what? you think some office somewhere won't get hit?

Mar 9, 20 11:22 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Where's your office?

Mar 9, 20 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

shit, flatroof. I think you’re right. Here comes 2008 all over again but worse this time, I’ll bet.

Mar 9, 20 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

why worse? just curious of that assessment

Mar 9, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Can't run to China/Dubai for jobs? Not sure, eager to hear more of the assessment.

Mar 9, 20 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Have you noticed the quality of leadership in the White House right now?

Mar 9, 20 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

good point, but remember we had dubya in 2008, and many of the same actors on wall street. If I were conspiranoid, I'd say the system is trying to shake down DJT and get a biden to miraculously recover/get a bail out. vote bernie.

Mar 9, 20 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Dubai and China (especially) are screwed right now. Lots of firms with international work laying off people.

Mar 9, 20 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

AIA In Control

We, at least the AIA is in control of things, all is well!

Mar 9, 20 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

They are going to have a conference in May? In Los Angeles? No shaking hands the AIA info screen sez. No sneezing either, I guess. Why not have a teleconference? They could find some way to charge - like one of those hideous pay-per-view boxing matches.

Mar 12, 20 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Our firm has told everyone in our Seattle office to work from home if their work can be done from home, otherwise they should still be coming in unless they are over 60 and/or have underlying health conditions. Lots of outside meetings and meetings with outside groups getting canceled or postponed. Internal meetings are all being done on the web. All non-essential travel is being canceled. No specific end date ... just until further notice. 

I'm wondering how much work I can get done from a beach somewhere. Would anyone notice the sound of waves and seabirds in the background of any Zoom meetings?

If I do have to work from home for an extended period, I'm thinking of taking the opportunity to upgrade my home office setup. Currently I just manage on my laptop, but I might have to see if there are any good deals to be had on a dual monitor setup. Who knows, maybe by the end of this I decide I can be a full-time telecommuter. 

Mar 9, 20 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

We're not allowed to use our own equipment due to all the security crap they put on our work laptops, so I'll be working on an OK to pretty good laptop while sitting next to the high-power workstation I have at home...fortunately, I was already on the schedule for a new laptop, so at least they'll be replacing the current clunker with a shiny new one.

Mar 16, 20 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Flatten The Curve

Corona Virus

Mar 11, 20 9:45 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Man, if this was the reason telecommuting became the norm, I'd say it's a win.

Mar 11, 20 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i've been practicing elbow bumps w/ a mask secured at each elbow

my emails are getting pretty sharp too

Mar 11, 20 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Show of hands on how many people think that the temporary transformation into work-from-home status will go well? I'd say most firms have the ability to remote work, some have done it regularly, few have an actually proper workflow. QA will go down the tubes (or take a whole lot longer to complete) and thus everything will slow right down.

My firm (10 people) has the ability to remote in, but few people have actually used the system and really only for kiddo sick days and such. I expect productivity to drop off considerably. How will this fly with clients? Probably not well. I would imagine the bigger firms with actual tech staff can handle it better, but who knows if their vpns can handle the increased load.

Any tips and strategies from forum members working in similar situations or firms?

Mar 11, 20 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

BIM 360 is about to get a BIGGGG bump.

Mar 11, 20 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

we have a meeting to discuss contingencies on friday. I work from home whenever I want to without any formal infrastructure but we have a big QC problem here. My prediction is that QC will drop significantly when red-line drawings and in-person coordination meetings become even more sparse. Personally, I prefer to not have work at home. it's my home, not my place of business.

Mar 11, 20 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

b3 - do we think Autodesk is prepped server-wise for the increase load? Some birdies have told me that even the big tech companies have had to cobble together and online the appropriate systems to support entire staffs working remotely.

Mar 11, 20 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

NS - ditto for bringing work home. I hope this situation doesn't create precedents...

Mar 11, 20 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

my company's VPN is way too slow to connect remotely to a revit file. maybe bim360 will be faster.

Mar 12, 20 8:01 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I already communicate electronically with people sitting 20 yards away, and work with teams spread out over 5 offices. The only question I have is whether our VPN can handle all the added traffic.

Mar 16, 20 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

NS - We've been shifting our QA/QC to Bluebeam Studio with considerable success.

Mar 16, 20 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

for those of us who teach also are taking big risk. Teaching three classes with 15 students each, I am coming into close contact with 45 students with desk crits and all. I made some sanitizer at home and it's really good. More alcohol and aloe vera arriving this week. Most stores out of them and the toilet paper here in L.A.

Mar 11, 20 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

The only thing I worry about is what other idiots will do that could cause an economic recession.  

Mar 11, 20 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My 4y old is currently in hospital waiting for a chest xray due to some breathing difficulties... 

eugh... this is going to be a gong-show.

Mar 11, 20 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh dear. Hang in there, Non. I hope for good news for you.

Mar 11, 20 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks Donna. His mother took him in... no point sitting the whole family in a hospital and risk getting something. results in 24/hr.

Mar 11, 20 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Sorry to hear that Non. Hoping for the best.

Mar 11, 20 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Fingers crossed for a good report, NS.

Mar 11, 20 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Cheers.

Mar 11, 20 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Non, please keep us posted.

Mar 12, 20 8:08 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Oh man NS. I'm sorry to hear this. Let me know via PM if you need anything. I can ship you toilet maple scented tp if you need. Seriously though, take care and I hope you wee one gets better soon.

Mar 12, 20 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Kids don't normally get the coronavirus. Hope your kid is found to be OK soon.

Mar 12, 20 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thanks guys. nothing suspicious came back from xrays so not sure on cause of illness and breathing issues tho. For the record, I was not suspecting corona beer virus (the first 2 cases in my city were confirmed yesterday), just worried about additional headache in hospitals due to it.

Mar 12, 20 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

My wife got croup last year (long story). She couldn't speak for a week.

Mar 12, 20 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

It was extremely weird.

Mar 16, 20 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Why does everyone run out to buy TP? Like my mind does not go to "need toiletpaper" when there's an emergency... most of the world washes their asses with water anyways. 

Mar 11, 20 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

If you're locked down for weeks you wanna make sure you have a healthy supply.

Mar 11, 20 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I stocked up on beer.

Mar 11, 20 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I got whiskey, cigarettes and saltine crackers.

Mar 11, 20 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Got a month's supply of beef jerky, diet Raspberry Fanta, and 'Murder She Wrote' dvds. I'm good.

Mar 11, 20 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

sorry to hear that NS, best of luck.

For me: TP. whiskey. Wine. Sanitizers. All the important ones! And a whole bunch of stuff for the slow cooker. Looks like NYC might also become a gong show very shortly. Been considering heading back up north and working remotely from there.

Mar 11, 20 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Hoping for the best NS. 

I went to the store tonight to get some groceries--fruits, veggies, the crackers my kiddo eats, cheese, drinks--nothing crazy. We are getting low on TP and I knew it would be a long shot but I rolled my cart down that aisle ... shelves were empty as suspected. I'm not worried yet, but give it a week without finding some in the store and my wife will probably put my kidney up on craigslist as a trade for a Costco-sized pack of Charmin.

Mar 11, 20 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just read a Twitter thread explaining toilet paper as highly susceptible to panic buying because the shelves look empty very quickly as compared to smaller items. So people have a perception of scarcity that may not be real.

Mar 12, 20 7:47 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sweet Jesus, you're all making me dream of bidets.

Mar 12, 20 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Bench

LB - Yeah, Ive actually not seen these crazy rushes for TP. Stores around here all seem to have it. Everything restocks overnight, so if you're really desperate just get there first thing.

Mar 12, 20 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

The only thing you need to stock up on is firearms and ammo. Those two things can get you anything else you need in case of an emergency. J/K.

Mar 12, 20 9:49 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Wiping my ass with my gun.

Mar 12, 20 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Make sure the safety is on.

Mar 12, 20 11:53 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Panic is a sneaky thing. Almost without thinking, I moved my piece from back of the closet to front of the closet last night and checked I had the key to the trigger lock close by.

Mar 13, 20 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

you have to defend your toilet paper cache somehow.

Mar 13, 20 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I'm a classic single male: I have enough rolls of TP left in the last 12-pack I bought to last me the rest of the year, but I'm screwed for food - nothing but condiments and beverages in my fridge.

Mar 16, 20 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I admit I just did a grocery store run tonight to stock up on just a few things we would want to have in the house if we were to stay in for a couple weeks. Broccoli, wine, some frozen pho. We’re good.

Mar 11, 20 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Also I just got a month’s worth of Prozac. 

Mar 11, 20 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Traffic was light this morning. That was nice.

Mar 12, 20 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I installed a butt-washer on the toilet a few years ago. I never use it but that may have to change if things get all panicky up here. So far so good but people are stupid and I have no faith. 

Other than some washroom accessories sitting in a factory in China and unable to be shipped to my job site, thankfully it's mostly business as usual. For now.

Mar 12, 20 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Apparently it just blasts water at your bunghole, and then you pay it dry. I still haven't tried it but my wife is a big fan.

Mar 12, 20 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Related aside: one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed involved my boss during a residential punch-list walk. He leaned down to turn on the water supply line when a plumbing fixture wouldn't work. The fixture was a bidet, and the move worked. He took a vertical jet of water to the face, and it was a contest which was louder: his exquisitely creative profanity or his assistant's explosion of laughter. Good times.

Mar 12, 20 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Markets are starting to seize up. Credit is starting to freeze. Project financing will be in limbo soon. Get ready!

Mar 12, 20 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
mightyaa

Had my first cancellation.  We were scheduled for a building survey next week to start gathering information and get a project going... notified they are rescheduling for a unknown future date once the impact of this virus has been determined.  After a phone call, they were pretty realistic; They don't know what to expect in how many people will be out sick in the near future... if it's truly 30-70%, then the workload that is already ongoing is too much and they are already concerned with contractual obligations & schedules.  As a GC reliant on a lot of people and sub-contractors, they are nervous as hell; What if the concrete supplier can't deliver?  What if only a quarter of the drywallers or carpenters show up?  What if their own job supers get sick, who is going to be there to organize those that do show up?  ... So they are exercising prudence and not taking on new things already concerned about the impact to ongoing work.  I get it... Felt really doom and gloom though thinking about the impact to projects already on schedules...  

Mar 12, 20 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It appears the 3rd case of corona beer virus in my city is our dear leader Justin T's wife.  The plot thickens.

Mar 12, 20 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

CIA plot!

Mar 13, 20 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

must be. it's the only logical answer.

Mar 13, 20 10:00 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I'll admit it took me a full minute to realize you were talking about "Trudeau" not "Timberlake"

Mar 16, 20 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

COVID-19

Mar 13, 20 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
gemma_dasilva

If you need to work from home, here are some tips to ease the transition. Includes software licensing tips! 
COVID-19: Working From Home Tips to Get You Through the Crises [for architects]

Mar 14, 20 6:30 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

revit over a VPN sucks. Today is the BIM360 gets real.

Mar 14, 20 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Yes it does, how does BIM 360 ease this?

Mar 22, 20 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I think this SEEVOID-Nineteen is a deep plot by Autodesk.  Just so we all upgrade to their latest model.....just joking.

We work from home so no big changes here just bigger bottles of Jack Daniels and 18 packs of beer.

Stay safe...

Mar 15, 20 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Hopefully my wife's internet business will grow during this national emergency.  People sitting around all day long with nothing to do but shop on line. Boesarts.com  Check out her stuff if you love dogs or any of her other exciting products.  Just don't buy her stuff off of Amazon as it has been pirated by some individuals of little disregard for  another individuals creativity.  Yes we have tried to talk to Amazon about this matter but we are little fish in a big ass Ocean, so they do nothing.

Mar 15, 20 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

If you're home looking for something to do... Great time to revisit this classic..

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

Peace be with you all... 

Mar 15, 20 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm beginning to worry about a lot of you. Don't you have showers at home?

Mar 16, 20 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

yeah... but showers aren't as funny as, "visit your local hand car wash"... :D :D :D

Mar 16, 20 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

so - how many people live in places that have declared a state of emergency, your kids are required to be home from school, and yet your office is still open and implying they want people to show up in person on Monday? Do we operate on such slim margins that any hiccup in productivity would cause our firms to collapse?

I’m working from home this week. My productivity is going to take a big hit, but I’m not about to risk my and my family’s health so some developer can deliver their office building to market two months faster. 

Mar 15, 20 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Honestly - I dont know a single architect or engineer from my social groups that was not told to work from home and dont come back in until further notice. Every office has totally shut down for remote work. That's really shitty if there is an employer out there demanding attendance in an emergency area...

Mar 16, 20 7:39 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

in middle of america, we think we have at least a few days before it's a problem. If no one at work has the virus, then there's no one to transmit it. We are getting everyone set up to work from home when it does hit though.

Mar 16, 20 8:09 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Curt, that means it's already spreading and by the time someone does have it, it's too late.

Mar 16, 20 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Bench

"If no one at work has the virus, then there's no one to transmit it."

That .... seems like a terrible approach ...

Mar 16, 20 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We're not closed as we have many large projects across the country and those are still ongoing. Our clients are not shut down and neither is construction . With that said, we have the ability to work remotely but we're hesitant to deploy it to everyone since it's a perk previously only reserved for ownership and management. There is also a high security risk on some of the projects that make working from home impossible. Honestly, most of the projects could be managed by a skeleton crew of senior staff for the next few weeks with little impact on schedule but I don't think many want to use up their vacation days to stay home.

Mar 16, 20 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Mar 16, 20 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

"With that said, we have the ability to work remotely but we're hesitant to deploy it to everyone since it's a perk previously only reserved for ownership and management."

We had rather have the proles and their families die instead?

Mar 16, 20 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Quality control is an issue here as we've never had to supervise production outside of the office. My colleagues in other offices in the city appear to be split 50/50 between those in office and those working at home. Schools and all public places are closed and outside of a few idiots stealing masks from hospitals and plenty of idiots fighting over toilet paper (which is manufactured literally within an hour of the city), there is little panic here.

Mar 16, 20 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I think that unless you're essential to the survival of the project, you should just take the day(s) off instead of struggling to coordinate remotely. I'm expecting to be 50% at home by end of week.

Mar 16, 20 9:41 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

volunteer, to be fair, the Boomer Remover (tm) was not designed to take out the proles.

Mar 16, 20 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

"unless you're essential to the survival of the project, you should just take the day(s) off"

Here in the US, the problem is who pays for those days off - is the employee forced to use their limited sick/vacation/PTO time? Does the company provide additional paid days off? Does the employee file for unemployment (which only replaces 1/3 or less of wages here in the USofA)?

Mar 16, 20 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^from my POV, the office should allow for some sort of combination of vacation time and IOU time meaning staff could take 2 weeks paid time off without dipping into vacation/pto time and when business is back up and running, either make up the time via OT or by taking a cut (say paid 8days instead of 10). Or somthing like that. We're not at this point yet but it's something I can see us doing.

Mar 16, 20 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

They've said we are allowed to go negative on our PTO balances, but still have to work it off later. Better than nothing, I suppose, but I'm quite sure both of my grandfathers (business owners and staunch Republicans) would've given their employees extra PTO.

Mar 16, 20 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

What happens if they lay you off when you've gone negative on your PTO balance? Are they going to make you pay the firm back for those hours?

Mar 17, 20 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

EA, the idea here is that they are not expecting layoffs. Not that type of place where large swings in staff are common. Anyways, the office just made it known yesterday that they will cover all salaries regardless of work completed (in office or at home) for anyone affected by the restrictions. So if you work a few hours per day at home... well you still get a full day's compensation.

Mar 17, 20 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

That's quite generous NS. More than I would expect from my office. As of now, my office is indicating that they expect us to work the same from home as we would at the office. I'm interpreting that to equal billable hours because they've also acknowledged productivity will be down based on having kids at home, etc. I suspect that if I asked for it, they'd let me go negative on PTO balances like atelier nobody's office. They let me go negative on mine last year due to some medical procedures for my wife where I had to be out of the office for an extended period ... I'm only recently back in the black on my balance, but I'm not concerned about my productivity at the moment.

Mar 17, 20 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Some of the government offices have shut down. No turning in drawings for permit.

Mar 16, 20 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

So I live in western Colorado.

People here are acting all stupid and panic buying canned food, TP, paper towels, and hand sanitizer.  

When my wife and I went grocery shopping at 9am Sunday morning I witnessed two mid 30's men taking items out a frail old mans shopping cart.  The frail old man couldn't do anything to stop these two dickheads.  A random man and myself had to confront these two jackasses and physically force them to put the items back into the cart.  My wife and I then escorted the frail old man through the store to finish his shopping.  I'm glad that other guy was there to help. 

Some people's kids I tell ya.  

Mar 16, 20 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is that not why you carry 9 firearms on your person at all times? Joking aside, good for you for helping. I've avoided the grocery stores since last Thursday when our city & province issued several shut-down measures.

Mar 16, 20 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I was carrying 'stubby' my short barreled 45.

Mar 16, 20 11:06 am  · 
 · 
leonizer

@Chad Miller is your name acutally chad or are you just a chad in real life? or both?

Mar 16, 20 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

MOAR GUNS!

Mar 16, 20 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
proto

when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail

morons

Mar 16, 20 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

leonizer, this is my real name.  I have nothing to hide.

Mar 16, 20 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I don't think more guns are the solution to this crisis. Some basic human compassion and kindness are. Also wash your damn hands!

Mar 16, 20 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Oh stop it jla-x. If the craziness comes we're all fucked, regardless if we have firearms.

Mar 16, 20 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

jla, who says I won't join the crazies?

Mar 16, 20 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

God bless you and your posse for helping that old guy, Chad.

Mar 16, 20 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

People like jla-x are why i love having my expat passport - emergency parachutes are always good to have, just in case.

Mar 16, 20 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I'll just stay in my zombie proof house with my wife and dog.

Mar 16, 20 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Every bad guy with a gun thinks they're a good guy with a gun.

Mar 16, 20 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This is going to be on a downslope within a month or so and substantially over in eight weeks. And there is no law saying it is, or has to be, developing exponentially now.

Mar 16, 20 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Hope you are right... as for laws... well, math is pretty inflexible https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Mar 16, 20 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

All the offices in my firm have told people to WFH if they can. The offices remain open for those who need to come in to get their work done for whatever reason. I think all of them are in areas with declared states of emergency at this point. 

My suspicion is that we are probably past the worst of it as far as new infections go, but the numbers won't reflect that for a little while now because of the lack of available testing. As testing becomes easier to obtain it will look worse as those who haven't been able to until now get tested and come back positive. Seems like we're about a month behind where we should have been on the testing front.

Mar 16, 20 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

The CDC says we are NOT over the worst of it.

Mar 16, 20 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Jla, I'm pretty sure the scientist said this jumped from animal to human in November

Mar 16, 20 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Trust the CDC over my suspicions any day. 

This is an old article that outlines the failure to get adequate testing in Seattle and how they discovered community transmission had been occurring for weeks. With Seattle and other hard hit communities locking (almost) everything down at this point, I'm hoping that it isolates those who have been infected and the total people infected (unverified of course without testing) levels out and then begins to decline. If you live in an area that hasn't mandated social distancing with measures like they have in Seattle, you should stay home anyway to help "flatten the curve." It's less about preventing infections at this point and simply about making sure that your hospitals aren't overwhelmed with a surge of new cases. 

jla-x, I hope your wife can get the testing and treatment she needs, you as well. We've been fighting quite a nasty cough in my family. It hasn't manifested with symptoms that would indicate COVID-19 and the doctors we've seen have not recommended testing for it. I'm not too worried that we caught it, but if testing was more available I would definitely push to get myself tested just to know for certain because it does make me wonder why it has taken us so long to kick it.

Mar 16, 20 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Meatball2000

New grad a year ago.

Got an offer at the end of Feb, was supposed to start this week. They took back the offer due to working from home and market plunging. Everyone is pooping their pants and scared to spend money until the situation is further clearer.

I already quit the job and was left in the limbo, what's worse is that I am no US citizen. I know I am definitely not the one with worst luck. 

Location NYC, US. Any suggestion/insights for the new grad entering job market this summer?

--

Agree to the number will go up and everything will shut down for a while, but it's def not the end of the world, compared to not testing at all & the crowded train a couple weeks ago.

Mar 16, 20 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I graduated in 09. Not that this is exactly the same, but I ended up having to scramble for jobs... just to make money, let alone work in architecture or at a prestigious firm. Wife (then girlfriend) and I ate lots of rice and beans, clipped coupons, lived cheap... neither of us working at Architecture firms though we both have Master degrees. 11 years later we are well-established and have mostly recovered, but who knows what the future holds...

Mar 16, 20 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

tldr; get a job, any job and hold on til things improve.

Mar 16, 20 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Meatball2000

thanks, it makes me teared up a little. hope your family and you are doing well. i guess aside from the unemployment pressure,  there is an extra shock from how mentally unprepared I was a week ago.

Mar 16, 20 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

With all of the Black Lung in West Virginia, how do they not have any cases at this point?

Mar 16, 20 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

They probably do have cases, it just hasn't been confirmed via testing.

Mar 16, 20 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

West Virginia? They don't have any computers with which to report the cases.

Mar 16, 20 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

They are the next county over from my Augusta County, VA, location. There are worse places to be. Quite a few places, actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNoZtIPWpyE

Mar 16, 20 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Finally got one of those Mountaineers.

Mar 17, 20 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
archanonymous

Wow. Projects going on hold/ stopping as if we just hit a brick wall. Hearing this from everyone in my network too, it's not just my firm. Things feel pretty bleak. Wonder how many firms have enough cash to keep going for 1-2 months, let alone 4+.

Mar 16, 20 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

It's not looking good is it.

Mar 16, 20 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

We laid off 20% and are clinging to a few projects still paying. Not looking good.

Mar 16, 20 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We've let everyone know payroll will run normally for everyone even if you're stuck at home... either sick, quarantined, or tending to your kids (schools and daycare are all shut). So, work at home is encouraged but we understand a full day will not be possible. Still salaries are covered for the next month and no vacation or sick leave will be used up.

Mar 17, 20 12:08 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

We're still fully staffed and busy as hell. In fact we're still responding to RFP's and being asked by clients when we can have proposals in.

Mar 17, 20 9:39 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

20% pay cut, 32 hr weeks for the near future.  Clients just not willing to move forward in projects in progress

Mar 16, 20 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind sharing, what the area/region are your projects are in and what type of work it is? Also what type of work do you do for the firm (production, management, making it rain, etc.)?

Mar 16, 20 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

No prob. Senior project architect (production) in Metro detroit area. Firm's Clients are primarily big 3 automakers and public utilities. People aren't around to push projects forward.

Mar 16, 20 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I’m supposed to run a video conference this week and I just know my toddler is going to march in like that little girl from the BBC interview. 

Mar 16, 20 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

That would be adorable! Post the video if it happens!

Mar 17, 20 11:42 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

No word on a client slow down here in ATL.  City of ATL closed their permit office on Monday to the public, but still working through on things.  We were informed last Wednesday, so sent 3 sets in Friday that were the worst sets I've ever seen, just to be "in progress" so they'd review them.  

Office is officially open and healthy people are to come in "if possible".  You have to have basically a health excuse (some immune compromised people at work) and/or kids out of school to get to stay home officially.  I have a kid and am staying home since last Friday.

We did a stress test on our system, was using VPN, but now have direct remote desktop connection, which works better as more of the processing is at the work computer.  25 people logged in, made central revit models, opened point clouds, ran batch scripts, and copied gigs of data from one folder to another.  Everything was smooth.

I did get an email from one of the senior most owners who missed the Thursday memo that I'd be staying home asking why I was staying home and if I was being productive.  I took sent .pdfs of the sheets I had finished that day and took a photo of my setup (stole the big TV as a monitor so I'm basically looking at sheets at a 1:1 ratio, the kid is sullen about not having the big TV).

TL:DR Working from home is great and productive so far... if only the boomers got off my back about it.

Mar 17, 20 6:50 am  · 
 · 

We did a remote work stress test last night too - for our office of 20+ it worked smoothly.

Mar 17, 20 7:52 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I need a new laptop for this WFH nonsense, what you lot using for Revit and intense nonsense?

Mar 17, 20 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

custom desktop. 8-)

Mar 17, 20 7:48 am  · 
 · 

What I hear is that you need a "gaming laptop" whatever that means (I am an old).

Mar 17, 20 7:52 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I'm thinking a Lenovo ThinkPad that all these business types carry around. Any experiences?

Mar 17, 20 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We could drop the typical "search the forum" because there are 8 million similar posts... but if I were in the market for a laptop, I'd likely look at either the Lenovo (mostly due to sexy red mouse dot) or current Asus Rogue. Unless portability is top of your list, look at 17" models because cooling will be better and they often have more space for the GPU.

Mar 17, 20 8:58 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm not a rep for them, but if you are looking for a beast of a machine, look at BOXX, look at their refurb's. They're desktops in a laptop form.

Mar 17, 20 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^yes. I've not looked at BOXX in a while but I was very close once at pulling the trigger on one of their rigs. $4k was a little steep to play assassin's creed tho. 8-)

Mar 17, 20 9:00 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

REBOXX

good stuff in there.

Mar 17, 20 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I have a t-shirt that says "My BOXX is faster than yours". Got it at AU

Mar 17, 20 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Largue

https://www.reddit.com/r/LaptopDeals/

I found this laptop on sale for $799 by browsing that subreddit and the machine has run great after a few months.

Mar 19, 20 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Dreikanter

Our company started implementing working from home last week. More time with my family at home.

Mar 17, 20 10:58 am  · 
 · 

I have a conference call in 30 minutes and due to a cold this weekend I have an extremely raspy and weak voice. The people on this call (probably 30-35 total) are all going to think I have the 'rona!

Mar 17, 20 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ma ma ma My Corona!

Mar 17, 20 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

++ "The 'rona"

Mar 17, 20 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

I made one jokey comment on the call - I said "C'mon now!" in response to a slam on Philly - to absolute silence. I honestly think half the call thought they were hearing a voice from beyond the grave beckoning them closer....

Mar 17, 20 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

That's funny!

Mar 17, 20 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Haha nice Donna. Today on a conference call I said "hopefully everyone is still feeling ok because this design is already totally sick!" No one laughed.

Mar 17, 20 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

NOW that is fucking funny! I would've laughed.

Mar 17, 20 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LOL archanonymous that’s very funny! Gallows humor is my favorite.

Mar 17, 20 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

im back after a multi year hiatus

company went full remote last week, and helps that we are a large multi-national with offices in china, so the infrastructure was in place for this scenario

I have one project under construction - 4 months away from ribbon cutting. just waiting for the stop work order...

Mar 17, 20 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nice to see you ivorykeyboard!

Mar 17, 20 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Or the "hurry up and finish this, we need to requisition it" order?

Mar 17, 20 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Ha, actually they just asked if we could move UP the completion date by a month. And im now staffed on another medical project... hmm

Mar 18, 20 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
rramos222
How will this affect new graduates this year? I keep seeing that certain projects are getting delayed or cancelled, meaning there’s less work to be done.

Also with more offices using tele-commuting and WFH, will there be anyway to bring in and train new-hires? I couldn’t imagine how a 90 day introduction period would work solely online.

Asking as a graduating student.
Mar 17, 20 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I would think that if the economy goes into a prolonged recession it will be difficult to find work for recent grads. Also I doubt telecommuting would work with such an inexperienced new hire.

Mar 17, 20 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

My firm has just instituted a hiring freeze, except for critical senior hires. Not looking good for new grads.

Mar 18, 20 9:23 am  · 
 · 
George Gibson's comment has been hidden

Will we really die?

Mar 18, 20 6:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Probably.

Mar 18, 20 7:08 am  · 
 · 

So what to do with money, car, house?

Mar 18, 20 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

don't panic, rely on savings (adulting is hard). work in an office that values staff so there is a contingency available, don't panic.

Mar 18, 20 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

This is why we are supposed to have 6 months of living expenses saved up! Liquor stores and weed dispensaries are still open here. Priorities!

(I'm clinging to one job that is still paying, and paying well. Healthcare parts manufacturing facility.)

Mar 18, 20 9:43 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I find it odd that we're supposed to have six months of living expenses saved up but banks and the airlines require bailouts.

Mar 18, 20 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

It's not a funny joke either. More like 'grandma's going to die because people are morons' ha ha joke.

Mar 18, 20 11:11 am  · 
 · 

tintt, I've heard two different people on NPR say something along the lines of "The suggestion is to have three months of living expenses in savings, but we all know no one really does that..." which IMO points to a huge problem in our economic society. It's more expensive, in may ways, to be poor than to be rich, so the people with less money truly can't save. I know lots of people with decent 401ks but no immediately liquid cash savings (I'm one of them).

Mar 18, 20 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I think a lot of us did not grow up with good financial behavior being modeled, and most of our friends and family don't exhibit good financial behavior currently.

An approach I learned at some point during adulthood is that instead of feeling broke when I had $0, or perhaps $100 or $500 in my account, I convinced myself to feel broke when my bank account dropped below $1,000. Once I reached that point, I increased it to $5,000. Then $10K. Then $20K.

I am not wealthy--far from it--but I am fortunate to have been able to save at least enough to get us through a few months without incomes. We have not had vacations, we drive older and/or non-fancy vehicles, don't go out to eat often, etc.. But I've convinced a few other people of the benefits of this strategy. It works.

Mar 18, 20 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

My partner is great with money and keeps me from 'impulse buying' stuff. She's also a great saver and thanks to her we have the 6 months saved and could even survive on only one income (we had to do that during the 2008 recession because I sucked and couldn't find work. ) Regardless, I am worried about the economy. Just today a couple of big jobs got put on hold - on is an actual project with the city, the other is a proposal with the school district.

Mar 18, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

most adults don't eat their veggies either.

Mar 18, 20 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

good observation that most corporations don't follow the financial advice us peons get, then still get bailouts. where's my bailout?

Mar 18, 20 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I eat my veggies tinnt. Mostly with ranch dressing . . .

Mar 18, 20 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Funny, jla-x, I noticed the opposite at my grocery store - all the "real food" has been picked over pretty well, but the junk food is still plentiful. And, trust me, I've done much more disgusting things in my life than living on nothing but shelf-stable pastries and chips for a few weeks.

Mar 18, 20 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OMG jlax saying that avoiding sugar is a way to prevent *viral infections* is akin to depending on crystals for healing. Such woo. JFC!

Mar 18, 20 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Ha... classic woo.

Mar 18, 20 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And I didn’t say that eating sugar *isn’t* bad. It is. Sugar is awful for you. But it has NO RELATIONSHIP to viral infections and also NO RELATIONSHIP to one’s political leanings.

Mar 18, 20 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Shut up jla-x. Go eat a carrot and load up a shotgun.

Mar 19, 20 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I'm sure his shotguns are already loaded.

Mar 19, 20 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Chambered if you're carrying. Loaded but not chambered - if you don't have kids. Unloaded, locked, ammo and firearms stored separately and out of reach if you have children or they visit your home.

Mar 19, 20 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^or none at all, because. 8-)

Mar 19, 20 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

That is always a valid option. Figured I didn't need to add it as it's rather obvious. :)

Mar 19, 20 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

"Yes, true, but a certain breed of Americans are quick to dismiss the totality of what someone says based on political disagreements...even simple statements like veggies are good for you. Shows the tribal instincts" jla-x

Or it shows you're such an insufferable tool that they would rather troll you.   

Mar 19, 20 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

jla-x comments read best when ignored.

Mar 19, 20 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You seem to

Mar 19, 20 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's funny, I un-ignored jlaxative, just so i could read what Ayn Rand would say during a slow moving apocalypse. I have to say, Ayn Rand still would've been a raging cunt. Oh, we're all Socialists now. Capitalism is dead. Finally. If only this happened 5 weeks later, Bernie and crew might be leading us out.

Mar 19, 20 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Ms. Rand, tell me, how does Nixon's circumcised dick taste? I love it, now it's engineered by China? I kept wondering why when I went to Costco they were out of foil sheets. Thanks laxative!

Mar 19, 20 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Shut the fuck up looser.

Mar 25, 20 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
hata_kaori

I’m graduating this May. Would be great to hear how your firm is handing hiring for this season.

Big firms would have already posted positions around this time of the year but there’s almost none. I have friends who got their interviews cancelled just this week.

Do we see a potential recession coming? Are companies cutting expenses on staff? More importantly, Should I keep searching in NYC for a bit longer or take up the offer from my old firm in Tokyo? I’d need some time to arrange moving and visa if I were to go to Japan. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

- soon to be broke new grad

Mar 18, 20 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

take whatever job you can get.

Mar 18, 20 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

^ absolutely take ANY job. if you get an offer now, take it. one of my friends who started in 2008 as a junior designer ended up filing papers for a PM for 3 months. He's now a design director.

Mar 18, 20 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Just be wary of people offering independent contractor status for what should be a regular employment position. That kind of garbage always seems to happen when the economy turns south.

Mar 18, 20 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

My firm froze new hires, except for really experienced. Don't know how long it will last.

Mar 18, 20 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

it's 08' all over again folks, any job is a dream job, save your money

Mar 19, 20 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what markets are you seeing negatively affected? Obviously restaurants, entertainment, anything where people gather. is there a bigger run from financing? investing in a REIT would be safer than the stock market now

Mar 19, 20 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

If the current distress persists, there's a good chance REITs could fry. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/real-estate-billionaire-barrack-says-230309693.html

But I think REITs, unlike small businesses, can get the attention of Washington D.C. and get bailed out.

Mar 23, 20 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: