Archinect
anchor

Your Bubble is Not the Culture

TIQM

An insightful and important article in The Atlantic, about how cultural elites can shelter inside an intellectual bubble, and become estranged from the prevailing culture.  This article is specifically about entertainment criticism, but the phenomenon extends into other fields.  

Architecture and design, perhaps?

Your Bubble is Not the Culture

Jan 14, 22 4:31 pm
SneakyPete

On the other side of the coin: should we simply make everything fit the prevailing majority's tastes?

Jan 14, 22 5:12 pm  · 
2  · 

You can’t make me like Doja Cat

Jan 14, 22 5:36 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

The best female lyricist since Azealia Banks, example:
Moo, moo, moo, moo, moo, moo, moo, moo
Moo, moo, moo, moo, moo, moo, moo, moo
Yeah
Bitch, I'm a cow, bitch, I'm a cow
I'm not a cat, I don't say meow
Video evidence: https://youtu.be/mXnJqYwebF8

Jan 16, 22 12:57 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Hot take, Mooo is a bop.

Jan 17, 22 12:49 am  · 
1  · 

I too felt this way after multiple attempts/listens. Until this recent moment.

Jan 17, 22 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

I’m so glad x-jla and Ricky B were nuked from the replies to this. It was seriously making me sad.

Jan 17, 22 5:11 pm  · 
2  · 
SlammingMiruvor

I only listen to instrumentals so elitists like randomised can't lord over me.

Jan 18, 22 9:21 am  · 
1  · 
randomised

#protip: you can listen to Doja Cat on mute!

Jan 18, 22 9:53 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

I heard a Doja Cat song in the gym and it was sorta catchy.

Jan 18, 22 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

Good 4 u ended up on my top Spotify songs the past year. No regrets.

Jan 18, 22 1:18 pm  · 
1  · 
TIQM

It must be hard for you to do architecture for people for whom you have such contempt.  

Jan 14, 22 7:19 pm  · 
2  · 

Oh don't worry, Rick isn't doing any architecture for anyone.

Jan 14, 22 7:25 pm  · 
4  · 
x-jla's comment has been hidden
x-jla

this was apparent when Dave Chappells special got 1% critic score and 99% audience score on rotten tomatoes.  Soon after, Hannah Gadsby got something nearly opposite.   I deeply enjoy popping woke bubbles.  

Jan 14, 22 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You can't even fucking SPELL Dave Chappelle.

Jan 15, 22 1:11 am  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Typically, I'd say it's impossible to be this stupid, but the effortlessness at how you achieve it, proves I too can be horribly wrong.

Jan 15, 22 11:18 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Thank you for your proof of concept.

Jan 15, 22 11:46 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'm JuSt AsKiNg KwEsChInS!

Jan 15, 22 11:53 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

YoUr BuBbLe Is NoT tHe CuLtUrE

Jan 15, 22 11:59 am  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

NoOnEiSbEiNgCaNcElLeD

Jan 15, 22 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Your assumptions about what I know only serve to make you look the fool.

Jan 15, 22 12:22 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I'm always intrigued by level of stupid that doesn't understand how the First Amendment works, and who is protected from whom.

Jan 15, 22 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

"One of the strangest but most telling moments in “The Closer” is when Mr. Chappelle defends DaBaby, a rapper in the news for making pretty egregious homophobic remarks, and his fellow comedian Kevin Hart, who once lost an Oscars hosting gig for … making homophobic remarks. Both men faced professional consequences for their missteps, but neither was canceled: Mr. Hart remains one of the highest-paid comedians in the world. DaBaby has more than 43 million monthly listeners on Spotify. 

At the end of his special, Mr. Chappelle admonishes the L.G.B.T.Q. community one last time, imploring us to leave his “people” alone. If it wasn’t clear from his words, the snapshots of him with his famous pals in the closing credits of “The Closer” make it abundantly clear that Dave Chappelle’s people aren’t men or women or Black people. His people are wealthy celebrities, and he resents even the possibility of them facing consequences for their actions."

Jan 15, 22 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

https://www.intomore.com/culture/old-george-carlin-clip-shows-good-comedy-cant-come-punching/

But then again Carlin is probably too intelligent for your little pea brain cuckery.

Jan 15, 22 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I'll await your definition of who is marginalized, and who is not. When 0.6% of the world population identifies as trans, you transphobes must be afraid of your goddamn shadow then.

Jan 15, 22 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Then you can't read, comprehend, or are just plain ignorant. The article above makes it clear, no one is being canceled, no one is losing money, and no one is being marginalized by the criticism. It's criticism, and you fucking snowflakes are melting faster than we can make criticism. Buck up honey, try to get your panties unstuck from your ass cheeks.

Jan 15, 22 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

And the Carlin clip, it's from 1990, when Dice was being a funny guy.

Jan 15, 22 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

It's weird how when you write things, it appears you're trying to wish them into reality.

Also, there's this; who is the snowflake, who is canceling whom?

Evangelicals vs. CRT

Trans Comics

"In an opinion piece for the Guardian, Belle acknowledged Chappelle's influence on her early career and how he molded her "understanding of comedy." But their philosophies on what's funny have diverged, she said. While she'll gladly poke fun at herself and anyone with "greater privilege," Belle draws the line at making anyone with less privilege than her -- as a Black trans woman -- the butt of a joke, she said.

"A joke should only be as offensive as necessary and, if it has to offend, it needs to be funnier than it is offensive," she told CNN. "No one should come away from a joke more offended than they are entertained. That's what makes it a joke."

Jan 15, 22 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

What in the blue f*** are you mumbling about? It has always been this way. It is a******* like you that have weaponized it. You want to distract from real issues like reducing childhood poverty by 40%. You only come here to troll architects because you aren't one. You blame the system for your own personal failure.

Jan 15, 22 9:16 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Did you just suggest that you're important enough to be an example of cancel culture? News flash: when you hang up on a telemarketer you're not cancelling them.

Jan 16, 22 1:38 am  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

And yet, here you, not canceled. Let me clue you in on something, when an orderly sees a crazy person pounded their head on the cement, over and over again, should they just let that happen, or should the nurse take steps to save that person, and others, from themselves? Think on that for a moment, and who is whom in that scenario.

Jan 16, 22 8:49 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

^this coming from a guy that lives in the JRE bubble, and thinks that a responsible covid protocol is overreaching. Methinks she doth protest toooooo much.

Jan 16, 22 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You need to pay TIQM for ruining their thread title.

Jan 16, 22 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Oh hey, look. A garden path! Shall we go down it?

Jan 16, 22 1:22 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

So, your doctor is Doogy Howser?

Jan 16, 22 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Are you asking to be told you're smart and well informed? You certainly consume lots of opinions from other people, but I just can't give you that compliment.

Jan 16, 22 2:05 pm  · 
1  · 

How is exposing your family and everyone else in your orbit to a highly contagious, deadly disease through ignorant irresponsibility worthy of anything but contempt?

Jan 16, 22 2:12 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

So everyone MUST answer your questions, but you get to ignore theirs? Typical disingenuous bullshit.

Jan 16, 22 2:35 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

"How is exposing your family and everyone else in your orbit to a highly contagious, deadly disease through ignorant irresponsibility worthy of anything but contempt?"

Jan 16, 22 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Do you need a slide rule to figure this out? It is incumbent of every citizen to get vaccinated, boosted, wear a mask, social distance, and do everything in they can to get those around them to do the same. So it was not so bad when you got it. How do you know you didn't walk by someone and give it to them who gave it to someone else. ....at some point someone in that chain will get really sick. That is why everyone should be doing everything they can to help stop this.

Jan 16, 22 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

"Because its a completely flawed premise."

So you're cool with the rest of us ignoring questions based on flawed premises?

Can we quote you on that?

Jan 16, 22 2:57 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'm considering getting a potentially deadly disease and giving it to everyone *as a public service.*

Jan 16, 22 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"natural immunity that is superior to the vaccine"

That quote was from an x-lax post that they changed.

XLax is misinformed. Not surprising anyone.

Jan 16, 22 3:13 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

You're posting misinformation. You're ignorant, you're dangerous, and I really do not understand how you have not been permanently banned for consistently being those things.

Jan 16, 22 3:16 pm  · 
3  · 

I already answered this. There is asymptomatic transmission or maybe you gave it to someone before you had symptoms. I don't know and neither do you. That is the point. One thing that you can't tell yourself is that you did everything you could have to help prevent this.

Jan 16, 22 3:19 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

You're posting misinformation. You're ignorant, you're dangerous, and I really do not understand how you have not been permanently banned for consistently being those things.

Jan 16, 22 3:20 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete
SneakyPete

"living a life of a complete hermit forever, and isolating my children from all human contact"

Nobody said that.

"You are probably spreading it too."

Facts not in evidence.

Jan 16, 22 3:56 pm  · 
1  ·  1
SneakyPete

"to think that the immune system is a conspiracy theory"

Putting words in my mouth to build a straw man won't change anyone's mind.

Jan 16, 22 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

I never said any of that. Show me where I said that. My comments were based on reason, science, and mature, responsible behavior. Could I be spreading it? I could be but not through wooden headed ignorance. This could have been ended months ago if it wasn't for people like you.

Jan 16, 22 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

*demands evidence*

*also provides no evidence*

*headdesk*

Jan 16, 22 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I look around and I see one self-righteous prick up in here. It's you, dude. It's always you.

Jan 16, 22 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

So that belief absolves you of responsibility does it now?

Jan 16, 22 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I know you are, but what am I?

Jan 16, 22 4:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Don't project your lunacy on me. How many people die before herd immunity? The boat springs a leak and instead of helping bail you drill a hole.

Jan 16, 22 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

Through inaction. It was a policy and still is among the ignorant.

Jan 16, 22 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

Allowing herd immunity without the help of vaccines is inhumane.

Jan 16, 22 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

What a troll. This is just a game to you. I hope the moderators read this and ban you permanently.

Jan 16, 22 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

On behalf of my unvaccinated (not by choice) family members: get fucked.

Jan 16, 22 8:14 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Or polio, whatever comes first.

Jan 16, 22 8:15 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Bla bla bla bla.

Jan 16, 22 9:34 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd try to find common ground with you but that's not what you're interested in. You get your rocks off so hard believing you're the smartest person in the argument, and nothing will change that. You're not here to discuss, you're here to lecture, and I don't know of a single person who's signed up.

Jan 16, 22 9:36 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

^
^
TLDR. Y'all got too much time on your hands.

Jan 17, 22 12:52 am  · 
3  · 

Get over yourself. You have never busted anyone's bubble. You are just a hate vector troll with an overinflated opinion of yourself.

Jan 17, 22 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Whatever

Jan 17, 22 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

x-jla wrote:

"the evidence is that covid is spreading everywhere, and fastest in states with the most stringent protocols, highest vax rates . . ."

Please provide credible evidence that stringent protocols and vaccines cause COVID to spread faster.  

I'll wait.  

Jan 17, 22 1:24 pm  · 
1  · 

The wealth bubble looks like this: private travel (never public!), 'exclusive' outings (financially segregated by expense), the ability to procure *anything* one desires (literally), and so on. They all go to the same place, do the same things, and admire how wonderful they all are. Thus it's no surprise that they 'bump into' each other at the Little Nell or the beach at Cannes. 

This is most asuredly not an intellectual bubble.

Jan 14, 22 8:44 pm  · 
1  · 

I enjoyed this. I do think the author could have emphasized more strongly that a musician can be doing two things simultaneously: making their livelihood doing something they enjoy doing, while *also* creating an art experience that might have significant cultural resonance. This is very similar, IMO, to practicing architecture.

Jan 15, 22 10:24 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

you could look at the cultural history of modernism as a progression defined by the birth and dispersion of movements that seek to burst the bubble of elite taste through direct, unpretentious joy in creation.

In painting, impressionism, the reaction against academic art institutes, and then abstraction, pop art, and conceptual / performance art. In architecture, adolf loos and the reaction against institutionalized theories of decoration, modernsim and the prioritization of society over art, post modernsim and silliness over self-importance, deconstructivism emphasizing expressionist mess over careful resolution of space...

It's not a new idea that serious insider-informed taste is pretentious and irrelevant. It is and long has been true in the west. I think in architecture it's particularly pernicious because the slow complex nature of the art leads creators to agonize over the purpose for decades before experience gives them a natural feel for how to proceed.

Jan 16, 22 7:00 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Very few people get to make architecture that is experimental.

Jan 16, 22 1:23 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

Great topic and interesting article, wish I was eloquent enough to make a worthy contribution, I’ll just sit back and read for now

Jan 16, 22 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

This sounds a bit absurd, to think ones culture is A bubble, my culture is several bubbles, of many shapes and contents, some connect with others while some are completely isolated, and all of them change, adding and discarding along the way. How sad is to think somebody only has one website about architecture as a referent for his own culture. 

Jan 16, 22 6:45 pm  · 
2  · 
RJ87

I mean, according to the U.S. Department of Education, 54% of adults in the United States have prose literacy below the 6th-grade level. Most marketing campaigns aren't focused on people who write, or even read, an article.

My wife & I were actually discussing our "bubbles" the other day. Almost everyone I interact with at work on a day to day basis has at minimum a bachelors degree, with most having a masters. She works at a hospital interacting with the general population, she's far less surprised at the 54% stat than I am.

Jan 17, 22 12:06 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I interact with billionaires without vocabulary

Jan 17, 22 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

My bubbles are numerous and varied  Some overlap, some don't.  None of my bubbles are anymore dominant than the others.   

I fee bad for people who only live in one bubble.  

Jan 17, 22 12:20 pm  · 
4  · 
x-jla's comment has been hidden
x-jla

There needs to be a matrix between the bubbles for a society to work.  In the west that was reason, civility, debate, devotion to a shared  ethos, etc.  This matrix is breaking down.  

Jan 17, 22 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

Actually, structure of a successful society are social arrangements that are both emergent from and determinant of the actions of individuals.

An interconnection of 'culture bubbles' isn't needed.  What is a needed basic realization and acceptance that we're all in this together.

Jan 17, 22 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Some bubbles should be popped.

Jan 17, 22 6:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Chad Miller's comment has been hidden

Ha!  x-jla got nuked . . . . again. 

Jan 17, 22 2:07 pm  · 
3  ·  1
tduds

I got like 4 replies into reading that impending garbage fire and just gave up.

Jan 17, 22 3:59 pm  · 
5  · 

I don't feel bad for x-jla. If he's going to post lies and BS then there are consequences. I'm fine with x-jla posting his opinions, however when he lies about things , GTFO.

Jan 17, 22 4:33 pm  · 
1  ·  1
randomised

At least the order in your bubble is restored(!) ;-)

Jan 17, 22 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Igor, be gone!

Jan 17, 22 5:07 pm  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

what was the trigger for the nuking? I don't see his comments by choice.

Jan 17, 22 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

x-jla was spouting more COVID nonsense. He was saying that vaccines, mask wearing, and social distancing was increasing the infection rate of COVID.  There was a lot of other things but that was one of them. 

Jan 17, 22 6:10 pm  · 
2  ·  1

Rando - my bubbles are never in a state of equilibrium. They are always changing as I learn new things.  

Jan 17, 22 6:11 pm  · 
5  · 
randomised

To play devil’s advocate here…vaccines don’t stop people from passing on COVID when they have it, masks don’t stop COVID from spreading as it spreads through aerosols and social distancing doesn’t stop it either because of aerosols. The vaccine makes people less sick, if at all while still being covid positive, so mostly benefits the person taking the vaccine, and it keeps hospital beds and medical staff available for others which is the nice thing to do. Proper ventilation helps getting rid of the aerosols, face masks don’t do that and neither does social distancing. It gives people a false sense of security when they think they can go about doing their business because they are triple jabbed, masked up and keeping distance. I know all that and still mask up, take the shots and keep my distance to do my part but to claim that those facts about the vaccine or aerosols are nonsense simply isn’t true and helps people make the wrong decision e.g. go to the office or meet people. wearing a face mask doesn’t prevent you from breathing in covid aerosols, being vaccinated doesn’t prevent you from contracting covid and passing it on…

Jan 18, 22 2:55 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Vaccines, work. Everything you cite above is true for one reason alone, the percentage of unvaccinated is keeping covid alive. If everyone was vaxxed we'd be over this.

Jan 18, 22 6:44 am  · 
3  ·  1

Vaccines 90%+ effective. Masks 80% effective. Aerosols 6 ft distance. Nothing is 100% effective but do the math. What behaviors would or would not increase or decrease the likely hood of getting it or transmitting it?

Jan 18, 22 8:16 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

Vaccines work but you can still get COVID being vaccinated and you can still spread it to people unwilling or unable to get vaccinated while being more or less protected yourself. So people think getting vaxxed would be enough but it's not...All the people I've heard in the last weeks maybe even months getting COVID in my bubble(s) were vaccinated as am I. They still got it though, some quite serious while being under/early 40 living healthy without underlying medical issues. The only thing that will end this BS if the virus becomes less deadly for it to survive, as we see now with omicron, infections exploding but hospitalisations imploding (at least here in NL). The danger is people think and act like they are protected because of handwashing, facemasking and/or vaccinating while you're never protected against this virus as the particles are aerosols and can still infect the vaccinated through your mask or eyeballs even aparently. You'll never be able to vaccinate an entire (global!) population all the time, especially when the effectiveness of the vaccine drops over time. And some parts of the world simply don't have access to even their first shot, let alone a third/fourth/fifth booster :-( [/detour]

Jan 18, 22 8:29 am  · 
 · 

There have been diseases that have been a scourge on humanity for a long time that have only now been all but eliminated. Covid is going to be here for a while but again do the math. I am vaxed, boosted, wear a mask, and social distance. If I am in a store and I start to walk down an aisle and someone is not wearing a mask and sneezes I am turning around. That possible Covid is in a cloud for a while. I tell other people about it. It is going to take all of us to end this. Do the math.

Jan 18, 22 8:54 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

The only reason there's spread is because of the unvaccinated.

Jan 18, 22 9:06 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

there's spread because there's a virus, a virus that infects the vaccinated as well. don't kid yourselves that vaccinations will end this.[/detour#2]

Jan 18, 22 9:51 am  · 
square.

don't kid yourselves that vaccinations will end this.

glad you've spent your nights and free-time researching in the lab to be able to saying something so definitive.

Jan 18, 22 10:01 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

thanks square, how vaccines are going to end this if "only 9.6% of people in low-income countries have received at least one dose."? https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  [/detour#3]

Jan 18, 22 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Rando - provide credible sources to back up your claims that vaccines, masks, and social distancing don't reduce or stop the spread of COVID. 

Jan 18, 22 10:14 am  · 
 · 
randomised

only COVID can stop COVID...the vaccine doesn't work full proof as we need to get boosters all the time, face masks don't work against aerosols and neither does social distancing really, proper ventilation works but that's expensive. I don't need to give sources for that, we're still in this motherfucker of a pandemic, that's the evidence unfortunately...majority of people contracting COVID here now is properly vaccinated and they/we're infecting others that are vaccinated too at the moment.

Jan 18, 22 10:34 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Ruh-oh.

Jan 18, 22 10:39 am  · 
 · 

Rando - that's not evidence. Do you know the effectiveness of the vaccine, masking, and social distancing to reduce the spread and infection of COVID? For you to say that they don't work because we're still in a pandemic shows a great lack of understanding on your part.

By the way - I have this neckless that if you wear it it stops tigers from attacking you. I've worn it all my life and never had a tiger attack me.

Please provide some actual reputable sources that back up your statements, they we can continue.  Just to be clear - I am not disagreeing with you that any of the preventative measures stop the spread and infection of COVID.  

Jan 18, 22 10:53 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

exactly...and add to that the fact that people in low income countries are not getting any vaccines really (a mere 10% has been jabbed only once, probably the rich elite) ruh-oh indeed :-( 

Thankfully COVID has become less deadly in order to survive, Spain stopped fighting it and is simply calling it endemic, so here to stay, and will be treating it like they do the flu, monitor and voluntary shots for the weaker population but no more mandates or lockdowns...

Jan 18, 22 10:58 am  · 
 · 
square.

a mere 10% has been jabbed only once, probably the rich elite

source? none. shot deliveries are also increasing now- though many still need to be put into peoples arms, vaccines distribution is increasing. in other words your projects are meaningless without data.

https://www.who.int/news/item/...

Jan 18, 22 11:09 am  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

rando, that is not true at all, none of that.

Jan 18, 22 11:20 am  · 
3  · 

Polio and smallpox are as deadly today as they have ever been. They have almost been eliminated through vaccines. In this country the vast majority of cases and fatalities of Covid are in red states.

Jan 18, 22 11:31 am  · 
2  ·  1
SneakyPete

as usual xlax gets nuked and some other pinhead continues carrying water for them

Jan 18, 22 11:38 am  · 
5  ·  1

Rando - none of what you've written in correct. Provide sources to back up your claims or please be quite. All you're doing at this point is damaging your reputation and destroying your credibility.

Jan 18, 22 11:43 am  · 
4  · 

I am so sick of this. Call it what it is. The only explanation for this wooden headed intransigence against science, logic, and common sense is at its core political and ultimately racial.

Jan 18, 22 12:28 pm  · 
3  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Remember these gems?

Jan 18, 22 12:34 pm  · 
4  · 

So the cure is to eat some apples, do some pushups, and become a disease vector?

Jan 18, 22 1:09 pm  · 
2  ·  1

wow! destroying well-being and shattering illusions in one meaning. what will you burst?

burst someone's bubble

1. shatter someone's illusions about something or destroy someone's sense of well-being.

Jan 17, 22 7:39 pm  · 
2  · 
axonapoplectic

When I was in school architecture academia was definitely a bubble. it seemed to be endless worship of the modernist pantheon and how the current crop of (paper) starchitects were the heir apparent. Then later on you realize that people like corbu and wright and the modernists likely did a lot of damage with their urban planning/design ideas, and many of these “starchitects” make shit buildings and are only the lecture circuit mainly to reinforce their own image and cult of personality.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some architects out there doing incredible work - but they weren’t the ones who held court over academia for a couple decades.

Jan 18, 22 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Current academia is pretty terrible. There's a strong vein of paper-only architects and practices and anyone with built experience is ignored or pigeon-holed into "professor of practice" BIM or practical courses while the vapid intellectuals who have never realized a built project reign over the design studios.

Jan 19, 22 10:08 am  · 
 · 
square.

while that is a problem in certain schools, it's not true in the blanket sense you are claiming here. i know plenty of professors, at great schools, who are both seriously involved in their practices but also teach design studios, thesis, interesting seminars, etc.

equally troubling is (some in) the profession(s) ability to aspire to anything beyond its most tangible constraints.

Jan 19, 22 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: