Archinect
anchor

BEST Laptop for Rhino and CAD?

So Id like to get a Laptop for Rhino, Revit, 3D design and rendering + occasional photo/video editing. Ideally under 2k. Buying in US.

Considering Razer Blade 15 4k option with GTX 1070, or the newer 2019 model with RTX2080 but without 4k display. Hows rendering performance on RTX cards? Worth the 4k screen trade off? Open to any other laptop/workstation laptop ideas. Quadro PC’s do seem a bit pricey.

Feb 24, 20 2:32 pm
Non Sequitur

it's a laptop so it'll be outdated by the time I finish this sentence.

Also worth noting is that the GPU serves primary the display... the majority of the processing power comes from the CPU... so start with those then upgrade the GPU (and RAM) to the highest card you can afford.

Feb 24, 20 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

So you're saying a laptop with newer processor and more ram but with less video memory (4GB instead of 6 or 8GB) would perform better?

Feb 24, 20 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Duh. high-perf GPUs are important if you want snappy responses while modeling or playing games but rendering is predominantly done with CPU muscles. So you're looking at the wrong specs. Laptop dedicated GPUs can be swapped, CPUs not so much. So you're looking at the wrong specs to start.

btw, you're unlikely to notice the difference between 4gb and 6gb GPU cards but you will notice a difference between a 3ghz i5 processor and a 4ghz i9.

Feb 24, 20 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

Good to know! Will be looking to get the best GPU possible. But why there's such a market on workstations with Quadro cards? They deliver better rendering times?

Feb 24, 20 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

NVidea Quadro were once limited to professional workstations. My tower PC at the office has always had a Quadro and for a while, they were impossible to source. I believe the main difference is commercial-grade vs home-pc grade but you're unlikely to notice a difference. Rendering times are affected by more than just the memory of the GPU but that's another topic.

Feb 24, 20 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

So basically while before Quadro cards played a bigger role now, especially for home use a Nvidia GTX/RTX with good GPU will be sufficient?

Feb 24, 20 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

the GTX is a GPU.... aka graphics processing unit

Feb 24, 20 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Right. I was just saying that the graphics card can be "slower" if the processor and RAM are better

Feb 24, 20 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

OK so ThinkPad P1 Gen 2 Workstation 4K IPS i7-9750H, T2000,32G RAM for $1500. worth it?

Feb 26, 20 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Good to know! Will be looking to get the best GPU possible. But why there's such a market on workstations with Quadro cards? They deliver better rendering times?

Feb 24, 20 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Just because I like computer shopping, I took a look around. If I were buying a new laptop right now this is the one I'd get: HP Zbook 15 G5

Feb 24, 20 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Ok, so then:

MSI P65 Creator-1084 15.6" 4K Laptop Intel Core i7-9750H, GeForce RTX 2060, 32GB
or 
ThinkPad P1 Gen 2 Workstation 4K IPS i7-9750H, T2000,32G RAM ?

Feb 26, 20 9:29 am  · 
 · 
wuul

It's been a while, so I don't know whether you're still looking for advice. I'd say from the benchmarks it's a pretty good idea to go with Asus Zephyrus G14 with Ryzen 4900HS processor

Apr 10, 20 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
taimourahmed

Alright, let's dive right into the heart of your query - finding that perfect laptop for your creative needs without breaking the bank. We're balancing on a tightrope here, aiming to land under $2,000, with a keen eye on Razer Blade models and a nifty little question about RTX cards versus a 4K display.

First off, the Razer Blade 15 with a 4K display and a GTX 1070 is like an old friend who's always there for you. It's reliable, sturdy, and sure knows a thing or two about rendering. But here's the kicker: the GTX 1070 is a bit like yesterday's news in the fast-paced world of graphics cards.

Enter the 2019 model with that shiny RTX 2080, minus the 4K display. Think of it as the new kid on the block – flashy, faster, and a whiz at rendering, especially with those RTX capabilities. These RTX cards? They're like little magicians, juggling real-time ray tracing and AI-driven enhancements. For 3D design, rendering, and even your occasional photo/video editing escapades, this card is a powerhouse.

Now, about that 4K screen trade-off. If your eyes are craving those extra pixels, it's a tough call. But remember, for most design and editing work, the quality of the display (think color accuracy, brightness) can trump resolution. Plus, when you're knee-deep in rendering, the RTX 2080 will thank you for choosing it over extra pixels.

But wait, there's more! Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Consider other contenders like the Dell XPS 15 or the ASUS ROG Zephyrus. These guys might not have the street cred of Razer, but they're like the unsung heroes of the laptop world – solid performance without the flashy badge.

And about those Quadro PCs – sure, they're the Rolls Royce of workstations, but they do come with a hefty price tag. Unless you're doing ultra-high-end professional work, an RTX-equipped laptop should be more than enough for your needs.

In a nutshell, it's like choosing between a reliable old truck and a shiny new sports car. Both will get you there, but one does it with a bit more flair and speed. So, if it were me, I'd lean towards the 2019 Razer Blade with the RTX 2080. It's a bit of a trade-off, but for rendering performance, it's a trade worth making. Just remember, at the end of the day, the best laptop is the one that meets your needs and doesn't leave your wallet feeling too light. Happy hunting!

Jan 20, 24 4:36 am  · 
 · 
jackgrealish

MacBook will be the best. 

Jan 20, 24 9:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: