Archinect
anchor

Landscape architecture

jla-x

Why is there almost zero discussion of landscape architecture on this forum?

May 23, 19 4:04 pm
Non Sequitur

Because shrubs and cabbage is the work of the devil.

May 23, 19 4:24 pm
tduds

You're looking for Larchinect

May 23, 19 5:17 pm

Because there's  a lack of a critical mass to discuss the topic(s). But set it off.

May 23, 19 5:33 pm
jla-x

How many Archs on here would say they work at firms that have a good collaborative relationship with LA’s?  

May 23, 19 6:20 pm
jla-x

By collaborative I mean early conceptual phase collaboration...not “here’s the plan throw some bushes and shit in there”

tduds

I'm marrying one. It's pretty collaborative so far.

jla-x

Congratulations!

tduds

Thanks! We don't work together, though (except on our own house)

jla-x

Do you have future plans to start a firm together?

tduds

Somewhere between No and Maybe at the present moment. She does high end residential & I do large commercial so... not a ton of overlap. It'd be fun to do a few houses together when we're old though.

RickB-Astoria

cool tduds. There are opportunities to lap domains. I wish you best on the marriage and marriage life afterwards. Best wishes.

justavisual

How many archs on here are also larchs?? Me = 1...anyone else?

Ditto

curtkram

i've been able to work with a couple good landscape architects from early in the process. i've had good experiences with them.

My office has LAs on staff and from what I can see it is fairly collaborative from the early stages all the way through design when we do the landscape in-house. 

I don't discuss the landscape architecture on this site though because I don't know much about it. I'm not trained in landscape architecture (except for maybe one class in undergrad), licensed in landscape architecture, or experienced in landscape architecture.

May 23, 19 6:31 pm
RickB-Astoria

jla-x,

I think the forum started and predominately was established as an online venue for "architecture" not "landscape architecture". I know the lines can be quite blended. I'd certainly love to see more discussions on landscape architecture / landscape design on this forum.

I've dabbled in the realm of landscape design but of course I can't for legal reasons call myself a "landscape architect". One area that is quite blurry in this is the line between "landscape design" and "landscape architecture". That's probably worthy of a dedicated thread for people to understand the legal realm of what is "landscape architecture" and what is "landscape design". 

I think we need more people to begin discussing such topics and in result over time that more people from the realm of landscape architecture would come to the table. 

I have an interest in integration of building design and landscape design where there is a near seamless transition between outdoor landscape to indoor landscape space. Landscape space becomes a sort of a part of interior and exterior design language. I knew a person that did this kind of blended space. It was actually quite a nice. The last I recalled, he was kind of retired and his website is down. He wasn't big with computers so online stuff wasn't his thing but he drew his plans by hand. 

In my opinion, those are quite nice drawings. I wish I could find an online archive of the web graphics from his old website which seems to not been archived well on archive.org so I can't do much about it. 

I personally like seeing how we can do a good proper integration of landscape from exterior to interior (and vice versa) with a "natural" environment indoor as well as outdoor. 

I think where building design and landscape design comes together will make for some interesting topic discussions. 

I can see applicability with residential / home design.

May 24, 19 2:25 pm
jla-x

Well I think the problem begins in academia and licensing cartels. The university that I taught at for a little prided itself as collaborative yada yada...but the landscape arch and arch programs were completely insulated from one another. Integration of studios would be a positive thing.

jla-x

Actually I’d argue that first 2 years should be one general design studio so students can get a taste of both disciplines.

RickB-Astoria

I agree. I see a number of systemic issues from academia and licensing cartels. I personally love to see more opportunities in the educational programs for integration of design disciplines where students integrate interior design, landscape design/architecture, and building design/architecture to devise an integrated design solution for a variety of "design problems" or challenges. I know there are arguments over the terminology to use.

RickB-Astoria

I know where I am at that I can't use specific title of landscape architect. As for title law issues, that's similar issues with the 'architect' vs 'building designer' debate. I know there is some of the same between 'landscape architect' and 'landscape designer'. For me, I use the LD title as its appropriate for the particular tasks and the BD title as it applies to building portion of design. The integrated approach blurs the lines and that is absolutely okay provide you address the issues that comes up in the technical matters. At the moment, I'm holding off on getting too deep on that. Worthy of a thread discussion at least. 

In my opinion, there are rich opportunities with integrative approach of landscape and building design and the discussions of landscape design/architecture integration with building design/Architecture. I don't mean rich as in getting financial wealth as much as enrichment from the knowledge gained and even the skills from applying. I don't intend to imply a person can't possibly get money from doing this but the business of hybrid landscape/building design solution is another topic in itself. 

I'm with you on the concern for the lack of discussion of landscape design/architecture on archinect. I threw out some seeds for topic areas to see how the forum moves forward with touching on these and other related topics.

nothinghere

“A building, a structure...is nothing without a surrounding that will complement and enhance it”...  My thoughts 

The landscape is as important as the building itself, be it unaltered natural setting or “manscaped”....not sure if I can make use of the word manscape in this context. 

May 26, 19 8:35 am
jla-x

That quote....a landscape is not subordinate to buildings...it’s job is not to compliment a building...the job of landscape is to provide critical connections between human environments and nature, provide functional programmed outdoor spaces, and to provide beautiful and experiential places....

nothinghere

The landscape isn’t subordinate to the structure....the structure however, is secondary to its surroundings. The landscape frames the structure and  brings out the best or the worst in what the designers intended. 

What is a functional “programmed” outdoor space? As I see it, outdoor spaces within natural environments are fluid, particularly in frigid zones, so there’s little if any “controls” the human designer is able to implement without disturbing the landscape. 

Compliment? Isn’t the right word here. It’s Complement, as complementary to something else...as one fitting the other and vice versa. A structure must fit the landscape and the natural settings. In that sense the landscape “Complements” the structure and elevates the design.  The wrong natural setting can ruin a design, and a wrong design can ruin the natural setting....therefore one Complements the other.

May 26, 19 4:45 pm
archanonymous

I have yet to find a landscape architect I cared to work with. Always wanting to build structures and design and detail benches instead of making the landscape and surroundings great.

May 28, 19 9:27 pm
justavisual

call us :) can give it a shot haha

“Interesting” assumption- that landscape architecture is only gardening or horticulture. That material implementation cannot extend beyond locating the quercus quercifolia

archanonymous

There's no presupposition about this. Maybe I was unclear - I'd like them conceptualize and implement how the program should interact with the environment, flows of people, goods, materials, Flora and fauna, water, light, wind, etc. But instead I get bench details and some shitty pergola or boardwalk.

Shitty aside (ugh agreed), why is detailing not part of LA? Isn’t detailing part of implementing the program?

atelier nobody

I've worked with some LAs that do great work - but I've never worked with one that could meet a deadline to save his life. This has meant I reluctantly end up doing all of the hardscape design and planting area layout myself, then only using the LA to do planting and irrigation plans.

May 28, 19 9:54 pm
justavisual

thats depressing

atelier nobody

I agree.

tintt

Why is it called landscape architecture and not landscape design? Is landscape the important word or architecture? Some of the designs get so busy, landscape doesn't have to be 100% designed and programmed with benches, colored paving, site furniture, and trellises. Perhaps I need to learn more.. books? Websites?

May 29, 19 9:31 am
tduds

Landscape design is actually a separate profession, for dumb legal gatekeeping reasons.

RickB-Astoria

tintt, to me personally.... it's interchangeable words. However, legally, that line is blurry like architecture vs. building designer. I don't want to jump into that rabbit hole of a discussion. With enough landscape architects/designers, the discussion would be full of arguments across the points of view. 

tintt

It would be cool if landscape architects got more involved in new suburban type neighborhoods. Or maybe they already do? What I think should happen is the landscape should be number one but yeah, it's usually a tack-on like a sign planter thingy. I tried to get a developer to make the landscape lead the design a few times but it just isn't on their radar.

RickB-Astoria

Yeah. Hehehe.... landscaping the right-of-ways... a lot of times, way too banal.

jla-x

+tduds. The asla aggressively lobbied to regulate the profession and have that title recognized. I use Landscape or Garden Design myself. I kinda hate the term landscape architecture, and very much disagree with the legal gatekeeping bs.

atelier nobody

"It would be cool if landscape architects got more involved in new suburban type neighborhoods. Or maybe they already do?"

When I was involved in the review, entitlements, and permitting of PUDs, they almost always had a LA as the principal designer.

jla-x

no buildings required 

May 29, 19 10:13 am
jla-x

Landscape architecture or landscape design, or garden design is everything without a roof. It never leaks

Non Sequitur

I'm desperately trying to clear my afternoon schedule to get into some LA design for a client. It's fun, but I feel it's a different sport and I've left my protective equipment at home.

tintt

I am working on a cool pool project now! I call it outside,not landscape architecture, hee hee.

jla-x

I love doing pools tintt...call it anythang you want lol. All that matters is that people will enjoy it...:)

tintt

My MIL has those elefant ear plants in the bottom pic. Love those things. I need to improve my knowledge of plantings. I read and garden myself but would like to have a good source book or site. Any recs?

tintt

Google just told me those are the same as Taro...

Non Sequitur

custom pool with multi-leveled hardscaping with outdoor kitchen and dinning area... plus garden, sauna, kids playstructure, etc. That's what I'm hoping to spend my afternoon doing. It's going to be a pantone marker massacre.

jla-x

Sounds fun non! Tintt, for a general guide for a decent price I like books by the American Horticulture Society. They have several out available on Amazon. For a good history review check out Elizabeth Barlow Rogers
“Landscape Design: A Cultural and Architectural History”....also look into local online sources from govt sites, botanical gardens, nurseries... they will likely have more relevant planting guides for your specific area.

atelier nobody

"Landscape architecture or landscape design, or garden design is everything without a roof. It never leaks"

Not entirely true - I have worked with LAs on vegetated roofs (of course, as the architect, I was mostly responsible for the not leaking part).

whistler

Speaking as Landscape Architect and Architect the % of high design landscape projects is small compared to architecture and often even really good examples are so subtle and integrated with their surroundings that no one even notices..... which is kinda the point.

However really great examples exist and should be appreciated as being as significant as any great piece of architecture, with a lot less ego I would suggest! I would also suggest that many of the great modern architects have used  / designed the landscape around their projects in a really complementary fashion without overpowering the surrounding landscape, that strategy isn't for everyone but certainly a very respectable approach. 

May 29, 19 1:01 pm
tintt

Putting together designs for a few new pools. I think this means trips to pools for research are a write-off...?

Jun 12, 19 4:43 pm
atelier nobody

You might also need to look into some spas and saunas.

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: