Archinect
anchor

Landscape architecture

x-jla

Why is there almost zero discussion of landscape architecture on this forum?

May 23, 19 4:04 pm
Non Sequitur

Because shrubs and cabbage is the work of the devil.

May 23, 19 4:24 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

You're looking for Larchinect

May 23, 19 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Because there's  a lack of a critical mass to discuss the topic(s). But set it off.

May 23, 19 5:33 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

How many Archs on here would say they work at firms that have a good collaborative relationship with LA’s?  

May 23, 19 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

By collaborative I mean early conceptual phase collaboration...not “here’s the plan throw some bushes and shit in there”

May 23, 19 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'm marrying one. It's pretty collaborative so far.

May 24, 19 11:37 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Congratulations!

May 24, 19 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Thanks! We don't work together, though (except on our own house)

May 24, 19 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Do you have future plans to start a firm together?

May 24, 19 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Somewhere between No and Maybe at the present moment. She does high end residential & I do large commercial so... not a ton of overlap. It'd be fun to do a few houses together when we're old though.

May 24, 19 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

How many archs on here are also larchs?? Me = 1...anyone else?

May 29, 19 4:04 am  · 
1  · 

Ditto

May 29, 19 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i've been able to work with a couple good landscape architects from early in the process. i've had good experiences with them.

May 29, 19 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

My office has LAs on staff and from what I can see it is fairly collaborative from the early stages all the way through design when we do the landscape in-house. 

I don't discuss the landscape architecture on this site though because I don't know much about it. I'm not trained in landscape architecture (except for maybe one class in undergrad), licensed in landscape architecture, or experienced in landscape architecture.

May 23, 19 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
nothinghere

“A building, a structure...is nothing without a surrounding that will complement and enhance it”...  My thoughts 

The landscape is as important as the building itself, be it unaltered natural setting or “manscaped”....not sure if I can make use of the word manscape in this context. 

May 26, 19 8:35 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

That quote....a landscape is not subordinate to buildings...it’s job is not to compliment a building...the job of landscape is to provide critical connections between human environments and nature, provide functional programmed outdoor spaces, and to provide beautiful and experiential places....

May 26, 19 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
nothinghere

The landscape isn’t subordinate to the structure....the structure however, is secondary to its surroundings. The landscape frames the structure and  brings out the best or the worst in what the designers intended. 

What is a functional “programmed” outdoor space? As I see it, outdoor spaces within natural environments are fluid, particularly in frigid zones, so there’s little if any “controls” the human designer is able to implement without disturbing the landscape. 

Compliment? Isn’t the right word here. It’s Complement, as complementary to something else...as one fitting the other and vice versa. A structure must fit the landscape and the natural settings. In that sense the landscape “Complements” the structure and elevates the design.  The wrong natural setting can ruin a design, and a wrong design can ruin the natural setting....therefore one Complements the other.

May 26, 19 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I have yet to find a landscape architect I cared to work with. Always wanting to build structures and design and detail benches instead of making the landscape and surroundings great.

May 28, 19 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

call us :) can give it a shot haha

May 29, 19 4:06 am  · 
 · 

“Interesting” assumption- that landscape architecture is only gardening or horticulture. That material implementation cannot extend beyond locating the quercus quercifolia

May 29, 19 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

There's no presupposition about this. Maybe I was unclear - I'd like them conceptualize and implement how the program should interact with the environment, flows of people, goods, materials, Flora and fauna, water, light, wind, etc. But instead I get bench details and some shitty pergola or boardwalk.

May 29, 19 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Shitty aside (ugh agreed), why is detailing not part of LA? Isn’t detailing part of implementing the program?

May 29, 19 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I've worked with some LAs that do great work - but I've never worked with one that could meet a deadline to save his life. This has meant I reluctantly end up doing all of the hardscape design and planting area layout myself, then only using the LA to do planting and irrigation plans.

May 28, 19 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

thats depressing

May 29, 19 4:07 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I agree.

May 29, 19 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Why is it called landscape architecture and not landscape design? Is landscape the important word or architecture? Some of the designs get so busy, landscape doesn't have to be 100% designed and programmed with benches, colored paving, site furniture, and trellises. Perhaps I need to learn more.. books? Websites?

May 29, 19 9:31 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Landscape design is actually a separate profession, for dumb legal gatekeeping reasons.

May 29, 19 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

It would be cool if landscape architects got more involved in new suburban type neighborhoods. Or maybe they already do? What I think should happen is the landscape should be number one but yeah, it's usually a tack-on like a sign planter thingy. I tried to get a developer to make the landscape lead the design a few times but it just isn't on their radar.

May 29, 19 11:24 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

+tduds. The asla aggressively lobbied to regulate the profession and have that title recognized. I use Landscape or Garden Design myself. I kinda hate the term landscape architecture, and very much disagree with the legal gatekeeping bs.

May 29, 19 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

"It would be cool if landscape architects got more involved in new suburban type neighborhoods. Or maybe they already do?"

When I was involved in the review, entitlements, and permitting of PUDs, they almost always had a LA as the principal designer.

Jun 12, 19 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

no buildings required 

May 29, 19 10:13 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Landscape architecture or landscape design, or garden design is everything without a roof. It never leaks

May 29, 19 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm desperately trying to clear my afternoon schedule to get into some LA design for a client. It's fun, but I feel it's a different sport and I've left my protective equipment at home.

May 29, 19 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I am working on a cool pool project now! I call it outside,not landscape architecture, hee hee.

May 29, 19 10:42 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I love doing pools tintt...call it anythang you want lol. All that matters is that people will enjoy it...:)

May 29, 19 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My MIL has those elefant ear plants in the bottom pic. Love those things. I need to improve my knowledge of plantings. I read and garden myself but would like to have a good source book or site. Any recs?

May 29, 19 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Google just told me those are the same as Taro...

May 29, 19 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

custom pool with multi-leveled hardscaping with outdoor kitchen and dinning area... plus garden, sauna, kids playstructure, etc. That's what I'm hoping to spend my afternoon doing. It's going to be a pantone marker massacre.

May 29, 19 11:22 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Sounds fun non! Tintt, for a general guide for a decent price I like books by the American Horticulture Society. They have several out available on Amazon. For a good history review check out Elizabeth Barlow Rogers
“Landscape Design: A Cultural and Architectural History”....also look into local online sources from govt sites, botanical gardens, nurseries... they will likely have more relevant planting guides for your specific area.

May 29, 19 11:50 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

"Landscape architecture or landscape design, or garden design is everything without a roof. It never leaks"

Not entirely true - I have worked with LAs on vegetated roofs (of course, as the architect, I was mostly responsible for the not leaking part).

Jun 12, 19 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Speaking as Landscape Architect and Architect the % of high design landscape projects is small compared to architecture and often even really good examples are so subtle and integrated with their surroundings that no one even notices..... which is kinda the point.

However really great examples exist and should be appreciated as being as significant as any great piece of architecture, with a lot less ego I would suggest! I would also suggest that many of the great modern architects have used  / designed the landscape around their projects in a really complementary fashion without overpowering the surrounding landscape, that strategy isn't for everyone but certainly a very respectable approach. 

May 29, 19 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Putting together designs for a few new pools. I think this means trips to pools for research are a write-off...?

Jun 12, 19 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

You might also need to look into some spas and saunas.

Jun 12, 19 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
paski

I am searching for a Landscape project similar to Floating Park in Bangkok - By sHMA

Is there any other precedent with an ever-changing  function, destination - And interactive with human and nature to a moderate extend.

Sep 21, 19 9:15 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

Floating Farm, Rotterdam

Recycled Park, Rotterdam

Copenhagen CPH-Ø1, Denmark

Bruges Triennial, Belgium

Floating Pocket Park, London

Sep 23, 19 8:18 am  · 
 · 
paski

Very awesome! Thank you very much!

Sep 23, 19 9:12 am  · 
 · 

Floating Island, conceived by Robert Smithson constructed by Balmori Associates

Swale Barge, New York

Mr. Trash Wheel, Baltimore

Knife Ship, Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen (a stretch)

Pier 55, Heatherwick/Matthews Neilsen Landscape Architects (another stretch)

Sep 21, 19 10:00 am  · 
 · 
paski

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Sep 21, 19 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Knife Ship was more of a performative political piece.

Sep 24, 19 1:58 am  · 
 · 

And between that and the Smithson project there’s a lot to dig in to

Sep 24, 19 2:08 am  · 
 · 

also- C asinos in Mississippi..

Sep 30, 19 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I remember one day I was griping about work to a non-AEC friend about a landscape architect. His slow pensive response was, "......a landscape architect?......that sounds very......worthless."

Sep 21, 19 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Are you sure your fiend is not an engineer... because I know half a dozen engineers (all non construction related) who would have the same response. My LA consultants are all reasonable and typically stick to large scale plantings. Sometimes I do the sketches and they just pick the types of shrubs, other times I let them do their thing.

Sep 23, 19 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

Engineers tend to get butthurt when they find out the billing rate of good Landscape Architect

Sep 23, 19 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

IT sales. As annoying as it was to explain my worth as an architect that immediately made me realize how annoying it must be as a LA

Sep 23, 19 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

in most places around the world, there is no disciplinary distinction between architecture and landscape architecture.  people who design buildings and landscapes are frequently just called 'architects'.

Sep 23, 19 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
paski

Hi, 

I am working on a Design competition aiming to redesign a recently demolished historical jetty (Very Long Narrow timber decking). It was demolished without consent from the public, and afterward, the community was sad and disappointed for the loss of that physical piece of memory.

At the start, we extracted the heritage components through its materiality, experience, and past memories. Then, we thought of new forms (dynamic, curvilinear, etc.) for the jetty to design it more functional while retaining its historical programs and experience.

Then one day, I was lying in bed, thinking about my childhood. How my brother and I used to play at our district's arcade, and afterward, have ice cream at the MacDonalds beside. My family and I shared plenty of memories in that particular Macdonalds.

Eventually, it was demolished, and they built a new and better one adjacent to the old location.

It is new and better... but it felt different, it is not the same anymore.

That got me thinking, could this happen to the new jetty? Could the proposed design be new, better, and more functional, But still different, and not being able to fully touch the memories of the community? 

Imagine, if they rebuild that particular Macdonalds, exactly how it was when I was a kid. How touching would that be?

What are your thoughts?

Jan 14, 20 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Keta

Hello everyone! Hope you are fine during pandemic.

My major is an Architecture and Im thinking to pursue a masters in Landscape Architecture. 

Can someone provide me with Landscape architecture schools that I should consider? in new york 

Thank you 

Jun 9, 20 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
ODMA

In New York I only know of Cornell and SUNY professional landscape architecture programs, with the former having a good reputation. 

You might also look at Columbia's Urban Design Masters which is led by Landscape Architect Kate Orff. The program seems to prioritise concerns with ecology and landscape urbanism. I don't think this would offer paths to professional licensing though, even in architecture; but I could be wrong. Looks like a great program though!

Jun 10, 20 5:56 am  · 
 · 

grad? Undergrad?

SUNY ESF (environmental science and forestry) and Cornell are the two programs in the state that will allow you to sit for the exam. Columbia has some related curriculum in GSAP (they do not have an accredited 

Cornell is in the college of ag life and sci, and is presently horticulturally intensive, but that changing. The relationship with architecture art and planning is evolving. 

ESF’s program is a stand-alone in the department (ESF as a whole is tiny, in the shadow of Syracuse U.) There is no formal relationship with syr architecture because they’re different schools, but there have been some interactions.

Jun 10, 20 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The University of Georgia is supposed to have a highly-regarded program. At least it is in a climate where things grow. 

FWIW the Masters Golf Course in Augusta was once a fruit tree farm. The iconic clubhouse dates from that period. The owner used the belvedere to keep track of the daily work. When Bobby Jones and his partners built the course they had no money to tear down the house. The rest is history. Frederick Olmstead's sons were partners in designing the course. 

Jul 8, 20 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Ooops, forgot photos

Jul 8, 20 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
aira

Hello

does anyone know any good program for 3D visualization of landscape, gardens and stuff like that?

Thank you :)

Feb 2, 21 11:15 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

lumion

Feb 2, 21 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

*bump* - lets bring back some good discussion of landscape design/architecture (not about the laws. Too bad Land8 seems too dismally quiet. Something for those like x-jla and Marc Miller and others to discuss. 

As for me, I'm curious about the integration of building design and landscape design process and how to artistically flow the design between 'inside space' and 'outside space'. 

Jul 5, 21 3:39 pm  · 
1  · 
abrarahmed

Hello Everyone,

I am from Islamabad Pakistan, and have just started planning building my home, but could not find any information on Landscape architects surrounding my city.

My property size is 24000 sq ft, out of which I can construct building on 5000 sq ft, the remaining 19000 sq ft should be used land scaping, drive way etc. Please advise how can start planning for land scape or if there are any forums which can help me with this information.

Aug 6, 21 8:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: