Do I really need NCARB to get reciprocal license? NY / NJ


I'm licensed in NY and now want to get a license in NJ. I let NCARB record lapse for 4 years...  NCARB says the fee to reinstate my record and get the certificate is $1100 and the fee to transmit the record to NJ is $385. This sounds crazy to me! Do the states really require NCARB record, or is there any way around this without going through NCARB? 

Apr 19, 19 7:09 pm

Most states do require an NCARB record when you apply for reciprocity, to document your ARE results and AXP/IDP.  But New Jersey is one of a small number of states that has a "direct application" route for reciprocity, which does not require an NCARB record.  For direct application you just have to have the state where you're currently licensed send proof of that license and verify that you got licensed in that original state by passing the ARE and completing AXP/IDP.  You also have to have three architects write work references letters.  Go to New Jersey's architect licensing and see the "Licensure by Credentials" application and instructions.

Apr 19, 19 10:20 pm

Threesleeve is correct that some states don't require it. I'd check the state board website, not NCARB. When I was getting a reciprocal license in FL I asked NCARB a similar question and received this response, 

"The state board's require that you have your NCARB credentials transmitted to their respective jurisdictions in support of their state application and fees..."

They also included some additional identifying and unprofessional language I won't repost. Turns out NCARB was wrong. Florida didn't require it. I'm stamped there now. Remember, NCARB is a business. They are incentivized for you to use their services.

Apr 21, 19 9:19 am

No - its not required. But if you have an NCARB certificate, its MUCH easier. If you don't, every time you apply for a license, you have to include your past employment history, etc. The NCARB certificate essentially acts as a vetter of your experience, similar to how background checks work in the context of a Global Entry pass at the airport. While other states may have their own licensing requirements (ex. California has a supplemental exam; Alaska has a snow class; Virginia and Texas I believe have a jurisprudence questionnaire), having the NCARB certificate will definitely streamline the process.

Apr 21, 19 11:19 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

  • ×Search in: