Archinect
anchor

Graduate/Intern Abroad?

babyarchitect1

I'm a student, so if you aren't interested you can skip, I just wanted to reach a wider audience on the forums. 

Is this so far-fetched that I should not even think about it? For architecture to be such a global and cultural degree they really make it impossible to do anything outside of the US with nothing being accredited. I was looking into options for graduate school and was interested in what possibilities i have for being in a foreign country for a portion of time. Whether working or studying. I'm turned off by the "once in a lifetime experience" of traditional study abroad 'tour groups' that many of my undergrad classmates did that required zero work and triple tuition. Additionally, intern hours would count only if I was working for an architect that is also licensed in the US. Is there somewhere to look to know if someone working abroad is also licensed in the US? I can't imagine that it is prevalent. Maybe a US graduate school that requires a co-op of some sort? I'm looking now, because obviously I don't plan to live abroad permanently or indefinitely, but I like the idea of a 'short' time living in a foreign country working or studying. (i know work visas are hard to get) While the travel opportunities are great, I'm more interested how it can benefit me professionally. Since I'm still in a transition point of my life, I see more options for this type of thing to happen sooner than later. I know in other degrees, people do internships abroad for 6 months, but how does that even work in architecture if they can't even count towards you AXP? 

Oct 25, 18 3:37 pm
JBeaumont

You can earn up to 1860 of your AXP hours in a foreign firm, as long as you're supervised by someone licensed in THAT country.  You can count an unlimited amount if supervised by a US-licensed architect.  There's no site for looking up whether an architect in a foreign firm is licensed in the US - you could start by checking on NCARB's site as to whether they're certified, and on AIA's site to see if they're a member - but that won't cover everyone, as some licensed architects are neither certified nor AIA members.

Oct 25, 18 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
babyarchitect1

oh thank you, I didn't realize that some of the hours could be counted from a foreign firm without US licensure. Even as unrealistic as it might be, it's nice that that's a possibility! Thanks

Oct 25, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: