Archinect
anchor

Any accredited online programs?

choijw2

29 years old..... I want to purse dream of becoming an architect again.

got my undergraduate degree in Urban Planning and was planning to go back to school for masters in architect, but..... life hit me hard in the face. 

Been working as part of pre-construction team for commercial projects last 6 years now, but I am not happy and love to purse my career in creative field.

Looked into few school options, local interior architecture masters program is option, but like to look into online option. 
Only good online program I could find was Boston architecture school said I am not fitted for their online program because I do not have design background.

Is there any online program do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Oct 25, 18 11:12 am
Beepbeep

Lawrence Tech out of Michigan has one

http://onlinedegrees.ltu.edu/c...

But If you could I would do it in person, and DO NOT GO TO ANY FOR PROFIT SCHOOL.

Oct 25, 18 11:18 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

online architecture programs are an absolute joke. 

Oct 25, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^this

Oct 25, 18 11:46 am  · 
 · 
PandasAreSexy

Out of curiosity, why is this?

Oct 25, 18 3:31 pm  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

What is the feeling about taking one of these accredited online programs in order to obtain registration in another state?  I am licensed in a state that allows experience-based path for licensure. I've been told that if I want/need to be registered in a state that doesn't allow experience-based path, then I need an MArch.  I have a masters in a related field, but no MArch.  Is an online program worth the time for a situation like this?  Or for anyone?  I would definitely not consider it otherwise.

Oct 25, 18 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Maybe this is a stupid question, but haven't really found an answer other places online.

Oct 25, 18 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

It might be worth it, if you want/need to be registered in that other state and they have no path other than an NAAB-accredited degree. You might first want to check whether that state accepts NCARB's alternate route to certification (what used to be called the "Broadly Experienced Architect" or "Broadly Experienced Professsional" program, in various iterations. I think it has yet another name these days.) That's a long and expensive route, and only open to you if you've been licensed for some years already in the first state - and some states don't accept it anyway - but if the one you're interested does accept it, it would most likely be a less expensive option than going through an online degree program.

Almost all of the online M.Arch programs have some minimum amount of time that is required to be spent in-person on campus each semester anyway for crits, so there's also that time and travel expenses to consider. The only truly 100% online NAAB-accredited option of which I'm aware is at "Academy of Art University" in California - which is a for-profit art school with not the greatest reputation - but if it's purely for satisfying state regs and not for your resume purposes then maybe it's an ok option for you.

Oct 25, 18 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Yes, its merely to check a box, nothing I would ever actually want on my CV. I will check out the BEA program.  I just got my license recently so I'm not sure if it would apply to me, but it is worth a try. Thank you!

Oct 25, 18 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: