Archinect
anchor

Please share your way of designing, how you develop design/concept, whether it easily comes to you or not. Trying to look for a different way for developing design.

leaves12

I am an architect and I have passed already so this question might sound a bit stupid to some/ many. But still, I do want to ask you all. How do you guys design? How do  creative ideas or a concept come to your mind and how do you finalize it to something concrete? Is it mostly about  function follows form or vice versa? If not, then what else? I love architecture and I love certain type of works like those from Kengo Kuma and Sanaa but there are times when I feel like I am running out of ideas and it scares me. The way I feel about architecture not always transform to something great on the paper, [like something that inspires me when I look at works of the architects I like]. So, I just thought if I should ask about this here so to see how others create, develop and come up with their visions. People's working styles, does it really make a lot of difference? Sorry if this has been discussed before. Looking forward to any kind of feedback, or opinion. Thanks!

Oct 20, 18 2:30 pm
JLC-1

you passed? So sorry

Oct 20, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
leaves12

Ah yes, Ikr? I am not good with sarcasm unfortunately lol, so I would have to go through that without giving any strong comeback. :)

Oct 20, 18 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

You're brit, in the colony, when you
say someone passed, it means dead

Oct 22, 18 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't worry too much, you're most likely going to execute other people's concepts and designs anyways ;-)

Oct 20, 18 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Except for the rare piece of architecture that is essentially large-scale sculpture, in general design is an exercise in problem-solving. First, identify the problems you are trying to solve (including the problem of how to make the building look good) and then consider the various ways to solve those problems in an integrated and elegant manner.

If you feel like you're running out of ideas, think of what problems you have not yet solved--getting the cost down, improving sustainability or comfort, use all-local materials, crank up the beauty factor, plan for future changes to how buildings are built, such as off-site construction. 

Oct 21, 18 10:26 am  · 
 · 
leaves12

You are definitely right on design being mostly about problem-solving. Thank you a lot for the thoughtful answer.

Oct 21, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 
leaves12

@RickB-Astoria, I really like how you expressed how you see architecture maybe, through your answer. That design can be about the same forms but through some unique composition style and subtlety we can bring a difference. I haven't thought about it this way before.

Oct 22, 18 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

To follow up Wood Guy's comment, the more clearly you can define the problems to be solved, the fewer the possible solutions. Problems are practical, functional, budgetary, legal, aesthetic, environmental, and social, among other things. When the parameters do not exist it is up to you to define them.

Focus on this and do not be concerned with style and starchitecture as most of it is not good, responsible design. For reference and entertainment you may wish to read this thread.

Oct 21, 18 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
leaves12

Thank you so much. I think I do see where I am going wrong. I focus too much on style and hence I keep forgetting it should rather be the other way around. Solving the functions in a more effective way 'should' bring out something at least useful, rather than focusing only on the attractive visual part. Also like how you touched upon the subject of starchitecture, and responsible designing. Thanks again. 

Although one of my friends said she could visualize exactly how her building space would turn up and that helped her to formulate a design. I do wonder how it is with other architects. Is it more about practice?

* My reply was for @Miles Jaffe

Oct 22, 18 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

With practice you will develop various methodologies for solving problems based on experience. Your style should be the result of these,
not the object of them.

With experience your design methodologies can become intuitive.

Oct 22, 18 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: