Archinect
anchor

Anyone Smoking Weed while Designing?

OneLostArchitect

curious question... has anyone smoked weed while  like designing? Since it’s legal now and everything in the North... I’ve been thinking about coming into work alittle high to get the creative juices flowing. Maybe my boss will give me a raise for the extra creativity? Or I get fired not sure which will happen first. So anyways I come from a strict family no drugs or alcholol... and I’ve never smoked weed before... what is it like? Should I eat gummies or smoke during lunch break? 

Oct 17, 18 10:16 pm
Koww

a lot of good musicians have done heroin

Oct 17, 18 11:06 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Going into an office high is the same as going in drunk.  Why not just knock back a few shots while you're at it?  I have nothing against recreational use, but if I'm paying you or you're on my project, you better be 100% sober because I'm not wasting resources on someone so daft as to think they can work effectively under the influence.

Oct 17, 18 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
godcomplex

That's the same argument as saying 'its bad cuz its illegal'.

It depends on the use case, some folks can actually increase productivity and focus. There are a lot of variables at play - kind of strain, kind of work etc. Enhanced functionality is certainly possible, though not for all.

Just sayin its not so black and white. Sure if its a rando contractor I'd rather he be sober. If its a coworker and we're working on developing a concept then I have personally seen it enhance the work.

Oct 18, 18 2:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, I suspect the OP is Canadian, hence the “North” reference in the original question and Trudeau word play in the avatar name. Anyways, if that’s the case, recreational use of Cannabis was made 100% legal on Wednesday this week across the entire country. Most jurisdictions do not however permit smoking weed outside in public spaces. Clean air act here is 9m from any building entrance. 10-feet? Ha, what’s the point with that?

Oct 18, 18 7:34 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Agree with NS
Except for casual Friday lunch beers, because, ya know, its Friday.

Oct 18, 18 9:31 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

he’s got hypothetical employees now you guys

Nov 9, 19 1:14 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

you should look up the word hypothetica
l

Nov 10, 19 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

wow.

Nov 11, 19 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My poor freking inbox.... man.

Nov 11, 19 7:45 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

pbts is indeed a licensed and practicing architect, as well as a graduate of two ivy league architecture programs (which were attended on full scholarship), a published author, and a tenure-track assistant professor. I’m telling you this not to brag or flex or make myself sound fancy; it’s just to clarify that when I say you have no fucking standing to give advice, it’s because I do have that standing, and I only do because I put in a lot of fucking work that you haven’t.

Nov 11, 19 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So, splines... looks like you're talking to yourself up here. Ricky's posts get nuked?

Nov 11, 19 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

apparently. why that doesn’t happen more often is an absolute fucking mystery.

Nov 11, 19 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
godcomplex

I can certainly make a case for working under altered states of mind..it's not for everyone sure, I can say that also.

Psychedelics also possess lots of potential as a design aid, having conducted a few sessions where all folks were dosed with an average amount of lsd, focusing on concept development. Lead to some proper unconventional ideas. 

Write high edit sober [user discretion for sure]

It is a tool at the end of the day, that's how I look at it

Oct 18, 18 3:09 am  · 
1  · 
godcomplex

No one is talking about using these substances in an office setting. More like personal work, competitions etc.

Oct 18, 18 3:27 am  · 
 · 
godcomplex

And your last statement showcases your narrow point of view rick. I can be sufficiently creative without these substances. Just wanna ask, have you ever had any experience with these substances in a setting other than with party-bois or folks who just wanna trip? Or at all? Maybe you should do some research about how these things affect the neurochemistry and tie in with perception and cognition. You are an architect after all [?], and it always helps to expand our limited understanding of things, free from dogma and pre-conceived notions

Oct 18, 18 3:40 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

I heard you’re a building designer; what buildings have you designed?

Nov 11, 19 2:30 am  · 
 · 
wensla45

Nope man, it's illegal where I am. Don't wanna get in trouble. Better to just follow the law.

Oct 18, 18 3:15 am  · 
 · 
RosaBreed

It is better to follow a legal. Do not get stuck in the problem.

Oct 19, 19 1:01 am  · 
 · 
randomised

OP, first try it in a non-work environment, at home or somewhere safe and familiar. Different people respond differently to different drugs, I once couldn't stand on my legs after inhaling only once (weed). You wouldn't want that to happen at work, do you? I did play chess once or twice while smoking weed, that went quite alright, never designed high though.

Oct 18, 18 4:44 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

So dumb question... what does if feel like to smoke it? Like... how does it feel? Also can I smoke one before going into work if it’s legal?

Oct 18, 18 7:06 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

See my excellent point above.

Oct 18, 18 7:29 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Dude, if you live in Canada, its legal now. Give it a try. Just not before work / driving / operating heavy machinery / etc.

Oct 18, 18 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^it almost seems to me that the question was asked while high... or perhaps it's just me reading it using a cheech & chong voice.

Oct 18, 18 9:39 am  · 
 · 
rickrossdaboss

what are you, in high school? 

Go try it if you’re so curious, like someone else said it’s legal now

Oct 18, 18 9:55 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Ricky I’m Canadian

Oct 18, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
rickrossdaboss

My advice go buy some and enjoy. Don’t go to work like that especially if it’s your first time. I’ve found that my productivity increases for irrelevant things, no
t for work. Then again, I’ve always had a short attention span

Oct 18, 18 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

I see what you did there "high" school. hahah good pun

Sep 6, 19 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

when you try it for the first time, you won't be able to talk, hopefully you will control the panic rush - after a couple of years of use, you can function and do other things besides just being "stoned", don't do it if you are under 21 I'd say; maturity and the ability to be aware of your surroundings play a big part in your relationship with weed.

on designing while high, yes - it helps with focus and letting go of your own mental barriers - BUT look at it again when sober and re draw it.

and avoid smoking it, there are other forms less carcinogenic to consume

Oct 18, 18 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Funny how no one commented on the name.

Oct 18, 18 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I did... but it was in response to Balkins, so probably got passed by most.

Oct 18, 18 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't know if smoking weed makes you a better architect, but it helps in learning how to tie a room together.

Oct 18, 18 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Long-time functioning cannabis user here.  Everyone's already said it, don't be dumb.  It's not for office use--it's called 'recreational' for a reason.

That said, pot does have the ability to highten your senses.  It opens the third eye.  While alcohol generally numbs, pot has the ability to bring awareness--sometimes, too much awareness (paranoia).  It can turn mundane activities fun again.  Cooking, cleaning, movies, music, yard work, and yes, design can all be transformed by weed.  

As an architect, I often find myself thinking three steps ahead.  I tend to talk myself out of an idea because I've already thought thru why it won't work.  Psychotropics allow you to power thru that and get it down on paper.  'In the zone' I call it.  And then--as already pointed out above--come back later and edit when sober. 

Oct 18, 18 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Um... I don't know Canadian laws, but I would not recommend it.  Basically, designing impaired, because buildings are regulated and the professionals are licensed and there are legal expectations by the public, if discovered could easily lose you your license. So, the ramifications are much worse than just a drone in a business environment. 

I've known alcoholics and drug users who've lost their certificates, licenses, etc. for extended periods of times.  That doesn't even get into the legal ramifications, loss of insurance coverage, etc.; its like giving everyone but you a get out jail free card to point at the stoned/drunk architect at the helm as irresponsible and negligent.

Oct 18, 18 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The early conceptual part of a project or competition can certainly benefit from a little intoxication now and then, I've worked late nights on deadlines for competitions and projects where everybody had beers.

Oct 18, 18 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Agreed... less risky if its just a design exercise and not technical or coordination level stuff. Just remember "reasonable and prudent" is sort of how you'll be judged by peers. So... A bar napkin sketch is the stereotype and easier to explain away. The hard part is convincing your peers pot isn't vastly different than alcohol... society norms come into play here.

Oct 18, 18 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Lolololol

Young people always seem to think drugs make them ‘more creative’

Pro tip that’s not true. You’ll only think that while high but immediately after you’ll see it’s just like being on any other intoxicant, you’re slower and not very productive. Likely to make a bunch of dumb mistakes and be incoherent when interacting with sober people.

And yes if your boss finds out you’re high/drunk on the job they will definitely fire you on the spot.
Oct 19, 18 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

You seem to speak with authority. Are you reflecting on past experience or just relying on tired stereotypes?  I would argue that much of the music, art, & architecture you've enjoyed over the years was produced by folks that found creativity while intoxicated.  The OP was specifically about design--which inherently dovetails with an expanded mindset.

Oct 19, 18 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

nine, it sounds like you could use a joint or two :)

Oct 20, 18 5:43 am  · 
 · 
natematt

It's not just young people. I know a lot of bosses who use. I think people who use tend to be the ones who think it helps. Maybe that's why they do it, maybe it's just a convenient coincidence that supports their decisions... 

Oct 23, 18 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Designing high as a student can be fun...Working in an office that way is a recipe for disaster. It’s sometimes helpful to work through a problem nagging at you AFTER you’ve gone home for the day. But more creative? Bullshit. That’s a placebo. Its that breaking down another step in the problem you were already focused on that makes it useful. But certainly not for the whole process. It’s more a tool which one has to learn how to use, and not to abuse. Much like drinking is a social lubricant which can be useful in certain scenarios. But again don’t go crazy and be drunk all day at work...
Oct 20, 18 10:22 am  · 
 · 
emb98

I smoke weed every day. I work for a general and the environment is fast-paced. When I couldn't keep up at first, my red eyes and smoky aroma were all too obvious. Now that my work is valued around the office, no one seems to mind. Everyone (including myself) blamed marijuana for making me dumb when I was actually just plain ol' fashioned stupid

Oct 20, 18 10:30 am  · 
1  · 
thaliadaniels

I've tried before and I didn't finish what I'm designing that time. :) BECAUSE I GOT HIGH, BECAUSE I GOT HIGH :)

Oct 23, 18 11:54 am  · 
 · 
johnseymour

I work as a LookDev Artist and sometimes dabble with the herb and then sit down and deisgn, although never work, just personal stuff and sometimes, yeah, I will look the at what I'd done under the influence the night before and be quite impressed, trying new techniques, breaking out from my comfort zone...

But then there have been a couple of times, when I've looked the next morning, when I've just thought 'Oh no - that is just abject shite...'

I do know something though, don't do it and watch TV/Film, as plots will mean nothing...

Sep 4, 19 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i learned so much in this thread

I'm "laying down the pattern" right now

Sep 5, 19 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Dokuser

I’ve never smoked in my life, yet I have had many people from my studio class ask me if i’m high. So no, I don’t plan on doing it anytime soon. haha 

Oct 18, 19 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

I used to smoke weed when I was younger and still do and design stuff. There's a few associates at ZHA who had plenty bats in the cave, I'd rather work with stoners than coke heads personally, better work gets done in my experience.

Oct 19, 19 2:16 am  · 
 · 
citizen

ROFL. That's your choice, pot heads or coke heads?  What, no problem gamblers or shoplifters?

Jul 19, 20 12:27 am  · 
 · 
Mormolyce

it's illegal where I`m

Nov 8, 19 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I prefer a nice scotch. 

Nov 8, 19 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
luigigisolfi

I actually tried designing the same concept with and without weed: better without.

I've been smoking for 10 years now and yes, the process is funnier when you're high, you quickly get in the flow but honestly - and it might sound controversial - I was a bit more creative as sober. 

Then if you do research maybe it could help - let's say it, you see things on a different prospective, but apparently I do less when I'm high. If you are one of those lucky ones who are more proactive when high god bless you, please teach me haha

Jul 18, 20 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Yosep

It's how you use it, not if it's good or not. It definitely increases creativity. But you have to master it and that's the difficult part of the job, and when you reach it the results are more than satisfaying

Apr 12, 21 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

there is a Pot shop just down the street from where I live - I don't smoke a "bowl" while I'm on active duty - 

Apr 12, 21 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: