Archinect
anchor

Starting from scratch

franciscosanchez

Hey guys.

I'm venezuelan, 20 yrs old and a few weeks apart from starting a new life. As you may know my country it's deep into dictatorship and I had to make the decision and move to Argentina, decision I made taking in count the culture, politics, hoping the best from the economy and the government in that matter, but mostly, the opportunity of free education.

Here in venezuela I got to the 6th semester (of 10) on the Architecture major. But even tho I lucky, because of my parents hard work on the family business, never had the needs a venezuelan usually has now, I don't know how long will it last with this government, also the University as everything else has feelt the situation, most of teachers are gone, a fair drop in educational level, and a bunch of other thing, so again, I took my decision to migrate.

Now i have intentions of continuing my major in Buenos Aires, with the University rules being they can just only accept subjects till the 2nd year (of five) which is ok with me, being about the same level I left it here ( hoping they accept all the subjects I did here, thing I doubt). 

But that's not the problem, even if they told me I've to start from 0 I would still do it, it's my life dream. But the thing is, in Argentina I won't have financial help, my parents will stay in venezuela and it's impossible for them to help me out of the country for obvious reasons, so here comes my struggle, going thru architecture School and probably a full time job at the same time.

So I come for you for advises, different points of view and if you were able to do something alike. Thanks for readind and for your response.

Aug 22, 18 2:33 am

I think you should consider working and going to school part time. If you take half the classes you would take and get a job to make ends meet you should make it, but it would take a little longer to finish your degree.  I would not try to take out loans to finish your classwork for the architecture degree if you can avoid it.  Talk to the faculty at your school, folks in Argentina are no strangers to economic hardships brought on by unstable governments and they might be sympathetic to your plight and may know of ways to help you that you might not know about.

You should start by asking for help and advice first and see what your school in Argentina can do to accommodate your needs before making any descicions.

best of luck

Peter N

Aug 22, 18 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
tillychan

studying and working (even part-time) is extremely difficult. but if it is your life dream, you should do everything to achieve that, so be ready to struggle. wish you a lot of luck

Oct 26, 18 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Do one or the other.  Perhaps work part-time and go to school part-time, or work for a few years and save up cash to attend school later.  I think there are so many courses you can take for free online and skills you can pick up related to this industry while working to save up money for an education later on.  It will take discipline and self learning. Most things taught in schools can be learnt online and on your own these days.  The only thing you will miss is interaction with your peers. There are many famous architects (Pritzker winners like Tadao Ando) who have successful careers without going to school for a formal education.  A few years behind won't really hurt either as long as you keep learning on your own and growing your knowledge.  You're still 20. I had classmates who were in their 30's and 40's during undergrad.

Oct 26, 18 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: