Archinect
anchor

Working Drawing/Construction Details

Hi guys. In my school I am assigned to do working drawing of a 2 storey bungalow. Lecturer recommends students to use AutoCad but I'm more comfortable working on Revit. I told lecturer about revit but he said better use autocad. I dont know if there is any problem doing working drawing on Revit. 

Please share your opinions regarding this matter and the reason. Thank you.

Aug 17, 18 6:13 am
Anonymous05

If you are more comfortable using Revit then go for it. You'd have a far better advantage over your classmates. I don't see any problem using Revit for construction details, in fact that is the way it's done in the industry, i don't know why your lecturer prefers autocad for such tasks. 

Aug 17, 18 6:53 am  · 
 · 
dissector92

For Design Studio's Projects, I have shown all construction details on Revit till now(Last Semester running) as I have done whole projects over there. Now I have to brush up everything about AutoCAD as last time I used it was 2 years ago and I don't have that fast working flow there now. Lets see what lecturer say . Right now working on AutoCAD and trying to make myself comfortable in every software. Actually that's how everyone should be, learning to accept challenges haha. Anyways Thanks for your reply.

Aug 19, 18 8:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Just use whatever program you want. It shouldn't matter what program you use but what you do with it. You could even make your drawings by hand.

Aug 17, 18 7:00 am  · 
 · 
dissector92

Noted. Thanks

Aug 19, 18 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Yeah, had the prof asked for hand drawings and you were arguing revit, that’s a different story and in that case, the prof would be correct. We do full projects in either CAD or BIM depending on the client and consultants so details are no biggie.

With that said, I see way to many junior staff enter the work environment where they only know revit (and by know, I mean know poorly because of lack of real experience). I see them do simple auto cad tasks in revit instead because they just “don’t work in CAD”. These people have a very hard time adapting to project demands.
Aug 17, 18 7:40 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Maybe that's why the prof is pushing Autocad.

Aug 17, 18 11:29 am  · 
 · 
dissector92

Prof didn't ask for manual drawing. I am trying to do it AutoCAD.

Aug 19, 18 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Bungalows are single story, maybe with an attic. 

Blow their minds by doing hand drawings that look like CAD.

Aug 17, 18 7:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

2-storey bungalow... good one. That one just passed right by me.

Aug 17, 18 8:27 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

What do you call it when people blow off the top of existing bungalows to add a second story. In Atlanta, we do a bunch of those and a bunch of bungalows where we put roughly half a second floor on and retain the front roof. We call the ladder versions "camels" and I've been calling the former "rip-offs" because we rip off the roof to add the second floor, but also.... anyway, I like the name. I just haven't got anyone to buy into it yet.

Aug 17, 18 10:22 am  · 
 · 

I think Bungalow is in reference to a style similar to arts and crafts but for smallish single family homes with pitched roof, some symmetry and somewhat rustic details such as eve brackets and tapered wood columns.

Aug 17, 18 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
dissector92

I'll try for that. Thanks

Aug 19, 18 8:36 am  · 
 · 
spacefragments

This is not a question of software or results.  Its a question of attitude.

Aug 17, 18 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
magentasky

Revit.  Why are we wasting time in CAD still?  How old is this lecturer? 

Did he share with you why he thinks Autocad is better?

Aug 21, 18 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
dissector92

That lecturer is outdated and age is around 50 or 60.

He said that working on revit is just time wasting time and autocad is faster as everything is 2D. Maybe the lecturer thinks Revit is just for 3D haha. 

But I have shown him my work which I did on revit but he didn't understand it was not done by autocad and didn't say anything haha.

Aug 22, 18 12:59 am  · 
 · 
jiangzhe

I think AutoCAD does the job most of the time! it does work fine if you have a decent fast tablet and don't want the hassle of paper drawings. I'd say go for it and give it a try.

I use a XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro Drawing Pad With Screen . I have the 8 button programmed to switch profiles .

Add in AutoHotKey to run macros/automate and you can model/draft w/o ever looking from the screen.

it works well .

I also have a Logitech G13 Gamepad. It has awesome software which automatically switches profiles based on which program is active. It has 3 quick swap buttons to completely change the layouts in each program, 25 keys per layout. I've programmed keys/macros for all my commonly used tools.

Sep 14, 19 3:51 am  · 
 · 
N.TW

Most of us are still stuck producing 2d drawings of buildings. That is what the City wants, and what the contractor wants. Although we have incredibly powerful tools to realize designs in 3 dimensions and time, and even translate into instructions that robots can understand, all of this information about the design is still legally recorded with dumb 2d lines. The conversation of which software to use is kind of meaningless at this point. A given printed line is not superior to any other printed line. Use whatever tools you want to make your lines. 

Sep 14, 19 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Work in Revit and export it to CAD. 

Sep 16, 19 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

This.

Sep 16, 19 9:45 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Absolutely this.

Sep 16, 19 11:50 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

I believe maybe the lecturer wants you to understand how a building and its components are built from the basics through the exercise of "drafting" rather than model building. An analogy would be is to better learn addition/subtraction then multiplication/division. Give a kid a calculator who doesn't know how to do algebra and then take the calculator away..

I understand, nowadays we have the internet rather than the encyclopedia. It maybe an old school approach but maybe that is his motive. 

Again, you can work in Revit and export to CAD. Lecturer to dinosaur to know...=)

Sep 16, 19 9:51 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Nobody learns how a building is made and built by drafting. It takes talking to colleagues, visiting building sites, doing massive amounts of research, and (if you're lucky) swinging a hammer. I can't tell you how frequently I see even seasoned designers draw details (in both CAD and Revit) that cannot be built.

Sep 16, 19 11:52 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

But before you go any further with you architecture profession, read my latest forum post. last entry is interesting..

https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150154141/would-you-pick-job-a-or-job-b

Sep 16, 19 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Why so?

Sep 16, 19 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: