Archinect
anchor

Licensing stamp

Recently licensed here; are we really required to pay for an "official" stamp upon registration? 'Cause editing my boss's electronic CAD stamp to reflect my (legit and current) license only takes 5 minutes...

Mar 2, 18 12:25 am
shellarchitect

to answer the question,

you don't have to buy a stamp of any kind until you want to stamp something.

DIY cad modifying is fine if you want to save yourself a couple bucks. 

Mar 2, 18 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

You do have to buy a stamp if you're in one of the few states that make you send back a rubber-stamped page for their files before they'll finalize your license. The first state in which I was licensed had the send-us-an-imprint rule - they would issue you your license number, but wouldn't send the license document or add you to the web roster until that step was completed.

Also I don't know if this is still the case, but 8 years ago or so when I got reciprocity in New Jersey they required that professional stamps be purchased directly from the state (stamps purchased from third-parties or self-created weren't allowed).

Mar 2, 18 10:21 am  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

good points, I'm only really familiar with Michigan rules.

Mar 2, 18 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the replies. And for reference I'm probably not going to need to be stamping anything anytime soon, so that's why I wanted to have a digital one just in case. Eventually I'll order an ink one, but not just yet. 

Mar 2, 18 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Oregon's stamp is so dumb that anybody should draw it themselves. If it was one of the states with stars or wolves or something I could see why this would be a thread, but come on, as long as you know the circle diameter why would anybody pay for that?

Mar 3, 18 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

If you were actually licensed you wouldn't need to do that - the states typically send detailed stamp requirements with your license.

Mar 3, 18 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

This  whole thread reminds me of one on another forum where somebody was worried the state board would fine him for having two stamps, so he could keep one in each of his firm's branches in two different cities. He finally emailed the board and their response was that they'd have no way of knowing how many stamps he had, nor would they care if they did know. There's no way for anyone to determine how you obtain or create your stamp, there are no rules that say how you can or can't do that, and nobody cares.  

Mar 3, 18 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

We've had a series of free 3D printers and supplies in our office for roughly the last 3 years, because If you're in a large-ish office the printer reps lend them to you for a few months hoping they'll get a lease contract. A stamp is just draw and extrude, so a 2-minute project, and then hit print. I was just thinking a stamp would be a good project for that. I also recall doing a stamp project as a kid in scouts that involved printing a reverse image from photoshop and using it for etching by photo-reaction on plastic stamp material- it was simple enough for a bunch of 8 year olds to do in 15 minutes, gave professional looking results, and only involved craft store supplies. All sorts of possibilities!

Mar 3, 18 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

the amount of thought devoted to this thread is astounding

Mar 6, 18 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

To the original poster's question - does anyone have recommendations for ordering a 'fancy' wood-handled stamp that looks cool, but might not get much actual use?

Mar 4, 20 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

1. Buy a plain old rubber stamp.

2. Cannibalize just the actual rubber stamp part and throw away the rest.

3. Find somebody that does wood-turning (probably makes lots of pens and bottle-stoppers) and get them to turn you a custom one.

4. Glue on the rubber stamp, or have the wood-turner do it for you.

Mar 4, 20 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

define 'fancy'

Mar 4, 20 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

something like this? Image result for fancy stamp handle

Mar 4, 20 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Looks like you answered your own question - just Google "custom wax stamps".

Mar 4, 20 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: