Archinect
anchor

Can I start an architecture firm having a B.Arch and Masters in Project Management ?

_SAM

Hello fellow architects. I am an architect, I have thoughts of doing mansters in project/construction management. I am very clear of that I want to start my own firm. I want to know whether Masters in P/C M is going to be of any help in having my own firm. I am also not sure of construction management as a business. Can any of you all having an experience in CM or having your firm into CM please help me with this ? Also I have interest in Architecture Design but I am not interested in becoming a starchitect, I believe that primarily good architecture should cater to the needs of the users. I have had an interest in planning,oraganising and managing stuff, so the interest in CM.

I am still not confident about what to be done. Can anyone explain how do I figure out my interests.

1.Would a masters in CM would give me an added advantage when I have a firm?
2.Woud a masters in CM and experience as a P/C M would taper down my interest in architecture ? 
3. Would masters in P/C M keep me in a better state to manage my business and deal with clients or get commissions ?

for ref. http://www.wzwx-group.com/

Feb 20, 18 11:02 am
Non Sequitur

How much real world experience do you have?

Feb 20, 18 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
_SAM

3 years.

Feb 20, 18 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's not long enough to see any significant project through concept to final occupancy.

Feb 20, 18 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
_SAM

How long do you think is an ideal real world experience ?

Feb 20, 18 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

5 more in direct project management if you want to achieve what you claim above. You learn this shit in practice, not school.

Feb 20, 18 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
_SAM

What if I do not go for masters in CM and continue working at an architecture firm ? How many total years of experience would be ideal to start just architecture firm ?

Feb 20, 18 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

years don't matter as much as real-world experience. That or millions in disposable income.

Feb 20, 18 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
_SAM

Would you elaborate on "real-world experience" ?

Feb 20, 18 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If you need to ask that, then you're not ready.

Feb 21, 18 12:04 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

1.  Won't hurt but probably won't help that much, either.

2.  Can't do both at the same time.  So, yes, probably.

3.  See number 1 above.

Feb 20, 18 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

In the US, there are construction management firms, but you're not going to start one and get work with no experience.  They also don't tend to offer design Architectural services because it would put them in competition with people they work with. 

When you say you are an 'architect', are you licensed?  That's a requirement in most practices, regardless of your education level.

Before you go starting anything, you should have experience.  You're going to struggle to get clients if you don't have anything on your résumé. 

Feb 20, 18 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Meh, the link is a firm in china and Tiawan... I have no experience or jurisdiction on practice, registration requirements, relationships between CM and archs... maybe that's how it's done over there, all by 22 year olds.

Feb 20, 18 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Are you licensed?

Feb 20, 18 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
_SAM

Yes.

Feb 20, 18 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

For those starting a firm, sufficient start-up capital (aka lots of cash) and an effective method of getting clients to hire you is vastly more important than what kind of degree or training you may have or think you need.

Feb 20, 18 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Priya Elangovan

Sir, i have the same question and interest as you mentioned above.

I completed my B.Arch degree in june23 and planning to apply for master's in CPM in sep24. I want to start a firm after completion of masters and work experience of minimum 5-8 yrs. I have interest in designing as well to manage the whole project as a project head. 

Can you give me your suggestions ...

Nov 19, 23 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

First off to open an architectural practice you would need to be legally registered as an "Architect" in your State or Province. Then open a firm and qualify for a business license etc. Once you have done that you are good to go.  Doesn't mean you have the skills and experience to excel at it but that hasn't stopped others from doing shit work either!

Nov 22, 23 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Immigrant Developer

FORGET ABOUT CM. if youre lost go get a MRED Degree and venture out to the real world. 

Nov 22, 23 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: