Archinect
anchor

Curved metal architecture

apricot

Hi, can you guys help me by listing more of this kind of buildings? I'm looking for a particular curved metal building with a row of small square windows...

Jan 6, 18 6:57 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 5 Comments

hellion

Senior Years and Science Centre at Ivanhoe Grammar School’s Plenty Campus

Jan 6, 18 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

Düsseldorfer Schauspielhaus

Jan 7, 18 12:09 am  · 
 · 
apricot

​thanks a million!!!!!!!

Jan 7, 18 7:25 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Did somebody spill their coffee out the window?

Jan 8, 18 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
threadkilla

way too much oilcanning going on in the third image of the original post. way too much oilcanning in the world in general - architects oughta learn more about sheet metal fabrication and assembly process to avoid this epidemic.

A few suggestions: spec thicker gauge stainless sheet if possible; panelize into units of appropriate dimensions for the application (no, you can't build that mirror-finish seamless 30'x100' facade from the render), keeping in mind transportation, installation, and thermal expansion/contraction throughout projected lifetime - also stiffen your panels! Braking sheet metal into pans (give em 90 degree bends around the perimeter) is a good start, cross-braking diagonals (think typical galvanized hvac panel) is even better, but more pronounced aesthetically. For my money, I'd rather have diagonal lines across the panel face than uncontrolled oilcanning everywhere... There's a few other ways to achieve a lasting flat appearance, but these are the easiest choices that seem to be routinely overlooked by designers. There's maybe two projects that I've ever seen where oilcanning seemed to actually be a desired and calculated aesthetic - unfortunately I can't recall immediately where and by whom...

Jan 8, 18 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Denver Art Museum is supposedly supposed to have the oilcan er I mean handcrafted look.

Jan 8, 18 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

was the Guggenheim Bilbao? I mean it's some sort of a feat to make a multi-milion dollar titanium facade look like so much crumpled up tinfoil, but I'd spend my money elsewhere

Jan 8, 18 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I believe so. And I agree.

Jan 8, 18 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Personally am a big fan of oilcanning, if only they used real oil cans :( Especially love the sound effect of squeezing an oil can, or waving a big sheet of metal in the air at different velocities. Perfectly smooth metal facades bore me to be honest, like the perfect Ando wall, what a snoozefest.

Jan 9, 18 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I like when six or seven of the panels are a slightly different hue as if from a different production run. Extra points if they are clumped together, like a big birthmark.

Jan 9, 18 11:28 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Obviously :)

Jan 9, 18 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Where do I collect my winnings?

P.s. Here is where you can find the other buildings/structures that are part of the architecture theme on Windows 7.

Jan 9, 18 11:19 am  · 
 · 
apricot

In fact, Düsseldorfer Schauspielhaus looked familiar to me even though I first saw it on the screen. I don't use Windows though. Happy New Year!

Jan 11, 18 4:59 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Berkeley Art Museum - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

Jan 9, 18 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: