Archinect
anchor

Does Autodesk Revit practice monopoly pricing tactics?

It seems like architects do not have much choice, but to purchase an expensive license from Autodesk Revit. Doesn’t seem fair that architects only have one professional choice and price for their business. I would think fair completion would create an alternate for Auotodesk Revit, but doesn’t seem to be the case. Why does Autodesk Revit control the US market? Is it a monopoly model? Wonder why?

Nov 16, 17 11:55 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

yes. next question.

Nov 17, 17 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Koww

Who would win in a fist fight? Peter Eisenman or Christopher Alexander?

Nov 17, 17 12:40 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Depends on what year. Now? Definitely Eisenman, but that's not a fair fight

Nov 17, 17 11:17 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

AutoDesk was smart enough to get in early and become the default program for the industry, just like MIcroSoft became a virtual monopoly for small business.  The fact that most users are not really that sophisticated about computers, particularly us older farts/bosses who didn't grow up with these things, meant that they chose safety and bought what everybody else seemed to be buying.  Self-fulfilling prophesy.  Since we share files with consultants and sometimes clients, we need a program that doesn't fight with other programs, at least not too much.  So, AutoDesk makes constant changes, and as soon as one participant in a collaboration upgrades, everybody else is kind of forced to upgrade as well to avoid conflicts and hassles that they don't have either the expertise or patience to deal with.  Then, you just rake in the money.  Brilliant business strategy.

You're right, it's not fair, but neither is life.

Nov 17, 17 9:29 am  · 
 · 

The Pricing is only part of the monopolistic activities of auto desk, the problems with sharing data and comparability with other software is another problem.

Nov 17, 17 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have a question, do architects fees go up to account for increased costs of software and hardware? 

Nov 17, 17 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My M&E consultants asked for an increase in fees when we reminded them the project was to be completed in Revit. Oh no... it's so difficult for them to consider things like size and location when setting up CDs. Even with the extra moola, they could not get it right.

Nov 17, 17 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I'm just talking about costs of paying for software, not running it.

Nov 17, 17 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Free Autodesk software for students. Don't underestimate the power of giving the first one away for free. Drug dealers know this, and apparently so does Autodesk.

Nov 17, 17 12:02 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

it pays to have a son studying engineering.....

Nov 17, 17 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

The bad thing about Revit being the market leader is that there are better BIM programs out there - ArchiCAD specifically. Stairs still suck, but there are a lot of things ArchiCAD does better than Revit.

Nov 17, 17 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Yes, yes, and yes.

Adobe is monopolistic also.

Its all about subscriptions and forced upgrades.

I can't remember the last time Autodesk or Adobe came out with a really meaningful improvement to their products.

It's 2017 and we still can't see the thickness of the lines as we draw in Autocad?  Ok....

Nov 17, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I guess they do, but I don't use their products. I refuse to...even quit a job because they said they were a BIM office and they only worked with f-ing autocad. ArchiCAD, Rhino, Vectorworks, hell even SketchUp I tolerate, but Autodesk I simply can't stand 'em. I'd rather draw by hand...

Nov 17, 17 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Well, my bill went up 20% this year.

Way fucked up.

Nov 17, 17 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
form follows gumption

Yes, Revit is expensive. Yes, their yearly updates are a money grab with minimal improvements. Yes, it's BS you can't save backwards. No, there is no monopoly in any way, shape, or form. I've never used ArchiCAD, but people seem to like that as an alternative.

Nov 17, 17 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: