Archinect
anchor

Changing careers? Depressed with architecture.

karyssa2

Video games, man. Design video games. That's where you can really design the stuff you can't do in the real world, unless, well, you don't really like art. Sketching really isn't exactly the same as colorful art. But if you can get past that, video games can really open up one's imagination to levels never before reached by mankind.

Feb 27, 19 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Or so it seems. It's not what you think. Video game design is a long hard slog. You do all the fun stuff for 3 months, then spend the next 3 years or so doing mandatory hours, fixing stuff until your eyes bug out. Trust me, stick with architecture

Jun 15, 21 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

Careful, zonker. That depends on your role. Contemporary video game design usually involves a production team comparable to a film production for any of the products of any of the established mainstream video game development studios. There is the programming team. Those guys are the ones doing that "hard slog" work. There's the graphic artists, 3d modelers, animators that are part of that team. They are constantly working from project to project as well as not only the content in the project but also associated stuff like the advertisments in print and video formats for being advertised on the web and on televisions. They are also part of the work force of the marketing and everything else. Some of them would be returning to video game projects for when they add new content (DLCs, expansion packs, etc.). In micro-scale indie/small-team studios, everyone wears multiple hats so to speak. In larger studio, an individual as specific roles and they tend to go from one game project to the next as their bosses direct them but they aren't the ones doing the coding so much other than maybe a little bit on the animation scripts which are even sometimes done with new "visual" scripting languages like you see in Unity and Unreal Engine. If you do code work, only a small set of the project team may stay on the project as maintainers and most of the time, most of them weren't the main leads during the initial programming and some remain because they are familiar and can provide some guidance so the maintainers don't completely muck it the f--- up beyond reasonable repairability. The "game designer" or designer(s) moves from project to project and are not usually involved much at all for mere maintenance, bug fixes, etc. They aren't the fresh out of college kids that get handed those tasks. They may return to direct new DLCs, expansions, etc. but they are more or less directing the game design and game play, experience, mechanics on a more abstract level and lead the teams of programmers giving them direction. They are kind of the coordinator or "architect" of that "video game" or "game".

Jan 8, 22 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

PS: It isn't necessarily just 3 months of work. A video game can take over a year of production time from when it's been greenlit to when its begins being playtested outside of just internal playtest. It can be a 2-3 or even a 5 year long journey from concept to public release.

The graphics work is spread throughout much of the production time but that graphics team members aren't always going to only be working on that game. 

Jan 8, 22 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Feedlydee

What you’ve invested in already is sunk cost. Don’t let it drag you down. You should only consider future benefits.

Oct 31, 19 3:04 am  · 
 · 
numsky111

Hello everyone, 

I just happened upon this discussion and saw that a number of people mentioned that they are career coaches specializing in architecture, design, etc, especially as it relates to a change of career and this is exactly what I'm looking for. Can you please message me or let me know how I can contact you to discuss your services further.

Thank you

Jan 7, 20 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Consultant services start at $300/hr plus retainer.

Jan 7, 20 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
athensarch

Hey, you copy/pasted someone else’s post from Reddit!

Jan 8, 20 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Jayness

You are still young and people change careers all the time. How you view changing your career is a matter of perception, but most likely you will be much better off from a life balance and salary perspective if you make the shift and this will be reflected in short time. Since you have both business and architecture degrees, it sounds like real estate, infrastructure finance, or government could all be good fits for you. Good luck!

Jan 8, 20 10:03 am  · 
 · 
hudaalzaidy

Hi every one ... I have been struggling in Architecture since the first day of university....ahhh  I actually had a high score in high school that could have joined Dentistry, however I chose Architecture and since then I am having  unhappy life because I discovered that I am not talented nor have the ability to stay up at night and heavy work ....I worked in United Arab Emirates for one year as an architectural graduate ...then I stayed with my sons and ..... many years now and migrated to NewZealand where they have different kind of construction which is timber ....I tried freelancer and went for another office and as you mentioned I was stressed and apologised from them and went home ...and now I hate my self and feel so disappointed . Unless I am a muslim and believe in God I would not live normally. 

Now I am sometimes thinking of career change but hesitant of being a quitter or as you said loosing 5 years of study.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Jan 13, 20 3:31 am  · 
 · 
vincentmalboeuf

Hey,

Feb 9, 20 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
jyotishugani

i have same story to tell , believe me exactly same , i feel so depressed with this less salary and zero satisfaction with the work. career change  is the only option i find way out,or may be working on own projects makes more less earnings in the beginning but atleast i will be happy. (may be)

job in architecture is pathetic for long term. 

Nov 23, 20 12:25 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Hang in there... it gets better. I had my big break with a new firm which would have brought in the big bucks for me. Six figure and suppose to be the chance of a lifetime with one of the bigger firms in the nation. Then this thing called Corona came along and derailed my dreams. My first day at the new firm was canceled with the shutdowns. My luck of course. I was able to find another firm, not as rewarding but It’s a new journey. I’m also setting up my own launchpad if things turn sour. Check your options, there are plenty of days that I want to cut my losses and move on... for me going back to school to make the same salary just doesn’t make sense to me. I’m not sure where you are in your career.... I’ve been there. If you ever need to chat I’m here.

Nov 29, 20 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
Cobb webs

The most pragmatic advice I received when faced with a dilemma... if you can't change the system, then change attitude. If you can't beat them, then join them.

Complaining about low wage and career burnout in Architecture (especially on Archinect) is pointless if you're not going to do anything about it. Go pursue a different career that pays better or change your own expectations on this career.

Dec 3, 20 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Cobb webs

edit: I'm re-reading my comments and I think it came across too harsh. However, the point stands... if this career is making you miserable, then leave or take a break. At the end of the day its not worth the mental/physical damage to to your wellbeing. Separate yourself from the job, your career does not define who you are.

Dec 3, 20 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
Anotheranonyarch

First... Lonestar hit the nail on the head. And also shall we say, O.C.

I graduated in 2013 with a high 5 figure debt. Made diligent payments on it for 8+ years. It's barely moved. It's a different topic, but I feel stuck in the profession because of that. Sure, my mistake. But whatever, it's student loan servitude. 36 and unlicensed. Two annoying exams that I have had trouble with. I'll finish them.. but tbh, I've met some idiot architects that doesn't make a damn bit of difference they are licensed. So I often wonder what's the point... I don't want the liability, and I've since lost the ego that most associate with it.

8 years. One major AE firm, with a very ego-driven principal who was completely out of touch with the office. Pay and perks were good. Exciting forefront of BIM (Revit--im in the US). But riddled with blow-hard interns convinced it is, "what they were meant to do," because they played with building blocks, or drew floor plans when they were 9. Give me a break..  Things slowed down, and I seriously considered going the BIM route as I find it amazing that we can build something so accurately beforehand. But that office went under. Gobbled up by a large firm. Before that happened, I later got an offer to work at a 4 person upstart of guys that used to work at that company. I jumped ship. It was much better, no annoying HR issues, etc. It was great. But as with a lot of upstarts, it failed after about a year and a half. Luckily someone else I had met offered me a job at a medium sized well known firm. Pay raise, and years of promising work ahead. The principal was tons of fun. 5 or so years from retirement, had all sorts of experience, great designer. But he was also sitting on 45yrs of experience and jaded. Still loved designing, but just made it very known to me the pressures of being a principal partner, and owner, of a firm. We would often just talk and joke about why the hell people get into the profession. It was all half-joking, but as someone half his age, I could tell he was telling the truth and living vicariously through someone more than half his age, who has the potential to get out.  That office after about five years was seeing handwriting on the walls, and that branch will probably go under as he retires. I luckily got an offer that I couldn't refuse, at a very small firm with a highly experienced architect to train under. Diverse portfolio of clients, some that make us money, and some that we are able to stretch out creativity with. Diversity is key in this profession to stay afloat. Promise of exciting work and a positive environment. It's been a welcome change. So things can get better. I'm excited about it, for the first time in I don't know how long. But also... I've seen the ins and outs of different sized firms, different bosses, and employees. And the profession in general. For the vast amount of people, it's absolutely nothing like the arrogant award winning professors made it look. Not saying we should design chain restaurants in studio, but the education is a travesty to what real world architects go through. Less high flying idealists, and more down and dirty professors with ACTUAL years of experience...

The office can make a huge difference. And being able to change jobs helps. And it is a whole lot easier with connections. So make friends in the field, it's way easier and better to get referred a job, or reach out to someone, than send a bazillion resumes, and portfolios that are briefly glanced at. Some may be in slightly different areas of work that you might enjoy better. I wouldn't give up yet.

Most "boutique" firms that win residential awards, get recognition, in my experience, the owners usually have a spouse that's loaded, they themselves are loaded, the firm is in massive debt, or they pay their interns barely anything at all. Sometimes all of the above. As I always heard, the practice of architecture is great, but the business is terrible. With that being said, it's unfortunate that a lot of the firms that have the money to waste on design submissions, win awards, and looked up to by grads, adjunct professors, are those boutique firms. Or the goliaths like gentler that have insanely deep pockets.

So yeah. It's almost been a decade. I still have a mound of debt, but at least at this point the better days outnumber the bad. So I'm setting a 5 year plan of seeing where I am then to make a decision. I know what it's like to be involved during the exciting front-end SD process, but also nose deep in a code book arguing with coworkers, and clients.. But at least at this point I can say I gave it a shot. Learned less than I would have liked, but hey, gave it a shot.

Hella long post, but my advice is to get some diverse experience first before making any leaps. Make lots of contacts. And get good at communicating. It's one of the best qualities you can have in this field. In any field. Not drawing, math, science, whatever, but communication.

Jun 7, 21 12:12 am  · 
4  · 
flatroof

Better to make the leap sooner than later, debt be damned. Don't let that anchor you to a career you can take or leave. You may have better income opportunity in other AEC fields or outside it and can pay them off faster.

Jun 7, 21 6:16 am  · 
 · 
UncleLuke

HI patrache,

This response is probably a little too late. My suggestion is be realistic and follow your intuition. I'm 45 and the temptation of working for the 'higher call' as what we were taught in school is no more than a lame ponzi scheme devised by the old guards to develop bunch of cheap and blind labors to work in their firms.

Money can't solve everything but with no money you can't solve pretty much anything, this will ring louder and louder as you proceed with your age in Architecture. The only way you can step out of this rat race is if you elevate yourself into development or investment quadrant (ie: be the client yourself). Elevating yourself to this quadrant will require a total change of mindset and injection of new knowledge where you need to perceive tax, inflation and debt as your ally as opposed to obstacles in your pursuit of wealth and the only two areas where you can utilize tax, debt and inflation to your advantage are in Real Estate and Stock Market.

In Real Estate, one of the most overlooked skill that an Architect has is his/ her skill to get a land entitled. Do you know that you can simply triple or even quadruple the value of an empty land simply by get it entitled ? The second skill an architect need will on how to do proforma analysis, the third skill will be on how to attract partners for development (funding partners, syndication partners, operation partners), this can be a RE broker, your rich uncle, somebody with money but no vision, builder, etc.

This will be more achievable if you already have the land tied up in your name so you can leverage this as you insert yourself into a partnership.

The second area is Stock market investment. You will never get rich in stock market without understanding the rule of compounding. contributing $19K per year into your company's 401(K) won't liberate you from rat race by the time you're 45. Instead of 1 to 1 leverage, you need to learn a 10 to 1 leverage and this only can be achieved through learning skills in derivative trading (ie: options, futures). try to learn the basic concept of covered calls and cash secured puts trading and learn on how to hedge and grow your money 25% ~ 35% consistently year over year in both retirement and cash account, a $30K account with 25% annual compounded gain will multiply to $280K in ten years. Learn the basic concept of stock option (Call option & Put option) and use it conservatively (Covered calls and Cash Secured Put trading) and you won't regret it.

The third area will the integration of your expertise in Real Estate development and Stock Investment. This is the area where you'll enjoy a lifelong financial freedom and give the proverbial middle finger to your past life in Architecture.

Jun 15, 21 6:37 pm  · 
3  · 
Anotheranonyarch's comment has been hidden
Anotheranonyarch

Based..

Jan 8, 22 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Anotheranonyarch's comment has been hidden
Anotheranonyarch

Based..

Jan 8, 22 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Anotheranonyarch

"Please Delete"

Jan 8, 22 6:29 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: