Archinect
anchor

Custom Architect's Stamp?

StarvingDesigner

Hi All -

Now that I'm getting closer to getting licensed, I'm curious if there are recommended go-to sources for getting custom-designed architect's stamps made? Not even sure how/if I'd want mine to be non-standard but interested in the possibility.

Thanks!

Lauren

Mar 16, 17 2:25 am
Non Sequitur
Non-standard?
Mar 16, 17 6:09 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

NO. no customization of stamp or seal. some stamps or seals are owned by the state and you are "allowed" to use it when licensed.

Mar 16, 17 7:14 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Not true. Every state is different, and some of them certainly do allow for variation and customization. I'm registered in 7 states and probably five of them have been enhanced as allowed by the relevant practice act to make them less dreary.

Mar 16, 17 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Have you, by chance, even read your state licensing board regulations?  You should probably do that before you even consider possessing a stamp. 

Mar 16, 17 8:01 am  · 
 · 
StarvingDesigner

Just to clarify, in CA you are allowed to change some limited things like line types and thicknesses.

Mar 16, 17 10:59 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

In CO you can make some changes... like any written program or building code, there are set parameters like size and what it must say and have on it.  But you can do things like line widths, add some 'decoration' (like I added some stars between the two circles & my previous one had a stipple effect), fonts, etc.  You'll also want to work with the stamp maker because they'll have recommendations about the sizes of stuff so the ink holds to it ok, or self-inking, or other type options the stamp maker can do for you.  

Back in the day, we'd just go to our printshop and it was a service they provided (they sent the design somewhere).  I'd imagine now you can do it through the internet.

Mar 16, 17 11:29 am  · 
 · 
StarvingDesigner

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, it could be a fun design exercise given specific constraints. I'll have to see if there are local stamp makers to work with.

Mar 16, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

doit

Mar 16, 17 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

or mount to the bottom

Mar 16, 17 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

put a bird on it.

Mar 16, 17 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
StarvingDesigner

That show can be scarily spot on.

Mar 16, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

There are lots of online sources - I get mine from http://www.engineerseals.com/

First you want to check the paperwork that your state sends when you get your license.  There are at least two states that require that you buy your seals and stamps directly from the state, rather than from any private company.

It's true that there are a few states that let you customize your stamp design - but I have a few caveats:  First, in some of those states you're really very limited in what you can do - basically you still have to include a circle of exactly the prescribed diameter, and the exact wording and organization of content - so your choices are limited pretty much to what font to choose.  Second, in the few states that allow a little more creativity, you'll tend to make AHJs suspicious when you use a non-standard stamp. Of course they can and will verify with the state that you're legitimate - but this just isn't a place where creativity is going to help you.

Mar 16, 17 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
StarvingDesigner

Thanks, and you're right, I did momentarily think: is this just something else to defend when I'm doing an over-the-counter permit? Ha.

Mar 16, 17 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

Mine is just the basic Illinois one. That's all I need - especially since the only thing I've stamped with it so far is my books.

Mar 16, 17 2:12 pm  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Go big or go home.

Mar 16, 17 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

NO.

Mar 16, 17 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

butt plug.

Mar 16, 17 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

I had my CA stamp done online- designed in ACAD and pushed through photoshop to create the file type at the resolution they wanted, all set up on their web site. I vaguely recall it being a raster image rather than a PDF. It cost about 25 bucks, works like a charm. I rarely use it as I find most deliverables are 'stamped' in the CAD file, with a PNG of the my signature digitally applied.

CA does allow some variation from the conventional format, but requires a limited size range and some standard information. When I renew, I plan to include a bear and a silhouette of the Santa Ana mountains in the seal...

Mar 17, 17 2:13 am  · 
 · 

I just finished the ARE and am looking not into a custom stamp per se, but a better designed and crafted handle than what I've typically seen. I haven't come across much, but these handles from Wms&Co. look nice.

May 18, 17 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
StarvingDesigner

Slick!

Feb 9, 18 1:31 am  · 
 · 
johnyoon

I was gifted a custom stamp :) I ordered a self inking one to actually use, but the seal itself is standard.

Apr 27, 22 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
proto

cool object, what material is it?

tho i can't help giggle that it has the basic shape of the sex toy mentioned upthread [cuz even at 50, i'm still an immature teen]

Apr 28, 22 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I'm curious what percent of licenced architects even get stamps. At this point I have no need, as I won't in the near future stamp anything at my current firm. Even if I were to do side work or switch firms, most of the projects I've worked on don't require physical stamping, we just add it on the computer.... 

Apr 28, 22 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
proto

I don't wet stamp anything, but i like having the physical stamp nevertheless. I used one as a feelgood marketing tool the other day when I stamped a client's homemade sketch just to show/build enthusiasm for the project. She loved it, but totally understood it wasn't an endorsement of the linework.

Apr 28, 22 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Wet stamps are no longer allowed in my jurisdiction, per the local architects association. Instead you have to buy some $400 software to allow you to digitally stamp. Which is ridiculous because the AHJ doesn't care at all.

Apr 28, 22 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
proto

they tried to make that a thing here & pitchforks/torches came out

Apr 28, 22 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: