Archinect
anchor

American Architect (6 years exp) interested to work abroad in the UK for 1-2 years. Is this a good long term decision?

emmexxthree

-Those who have been through this personally, your advice would be much appreciated-

My wife has a potential opportunity to work in the UK for 1-2 years. I would go with her as a dependent on her visa (as I understand this is how it works).

At this stage in my career, would this move be good or bad for my career in the long term? I am an American with an American architecture degree, six years of experience working in NYC, with the long term intention of pursuing an American license and working in America.

In reading up on the subject, there seems to be the possibility for some long term disadvantages. One of my fears in doing this would be to make a mistake that I regret down the road.

Is it better to go or not? What kind of unexpected challenges might i run into while I'm there? And more importantly, What kind of unexpected challenges might i run into when I get back?

Thanks

Mar 27, 16 8:17 pm
Non Sequitur
6 years working and no license? Get it done already instead of delaying it further.
Mar 27, 16 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

my opinion would be that the problems you face by working in the uk for a couple years are probably pretty much the same as the problems you would face if worked stateside for a couple years.

Mar 27, 16 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: